Report: Long released

Posted by Darren Urban on September 15, 2009 – 10:08 pm

There’s been a Scout.com report that wide receiver Lance Long has been released, which a) would be a good sign about the injury status of gimpy wideouts Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston and b) would signal somebody else coming on the roster. I would bet it would be someone on the defensive side of the ball, since the Cards are short some people. I’d also guess it’s less likely a veteran than a young guy, perhaps a promotion from the practice squad. We’ll see tomorrow. As for Long, we’ll see if the Cards can keep him on the practice squad or if someone picks him up. He struggled in games of late and seems to need more seasoning.

UPDATE: Long has signed with the Chiefs’ practice squad.

Tags: ,

17 Responses to “Report: Long released”

1. By fitz 4 mt rushmore on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

see ya Lance!!!

2. By H.D. on Sep 15, 2009 | Reply

I feel for the kid…sort of got attached to him following “On the Fringe” at NFL.com. Can’t say that I’m surprised.

3. By Rugbymuffin on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Lance Long is a gamer, but talent puts a cap on how far effort can take you.

Having seven receievers was never going to last. Best of luck to Lance Long. With Onrea Jones being cut by the Redskins it will be a toss up between Onrea Jones, Lance Long,and Ed Gant on who will be on the practice squad.

Hopefully the Cardinals sign an OT, or bring Keilen Dykes up on the active roster.

4. By shannon robinson on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Remember the other number 19 – Lance Allworth – leaping catchs in his patented style of kicking his legs, running in mid air to catch everthing. That’s what we imagined with Long and then he didn’t get open or dropped it. My guess is Dykes.

5. By Cor on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Thanks for the update. Any idea’s on a potential new (and improved) team member.

Also, I’m curious of your use of the word “gimpy”. Although it does have several definitions, from the literal sense of “cripple” and “limp”, to shallow mental capacity, isn’t it just a tad bit classless to use such a negative connotation?
    One might expect this crass treatment of the home team from the “official blog” or any media for that matter, in Chicago sports. Am I losing you on this? Tune into WSCR AM 670 (google is your friend) on any given Monday between now and January.

You report the hires, fires, and broken bones. Leave the locker room talk to us in the stands and lounge chairs. By all means, -you- tell -us- to pipe down when we’re not giving credit where it’s due. It might be a long season. We may be needing a voice of reason.

Just something to think about.
    Go Cards!

6. By Rick Kelsey on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

While you have to love Lance Long in the preseason and training camp, he just isn’t a regular season NFL receiver. Too small, too slow, and bad hands. Thanks Lance for all you did while you were in AZ!! Good Luck to Lance wherever he may land!!!

7. By Devin on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

He sure didn’t impress me with what I saw in any game. Maybe he is a giant on the practice field, but I’m not heartbroken if this story is true. We need another DT/DE hybrid, especially if Iwebema will be limited with his injury from week 1.

8. By Ryan on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Im glad they released him. He may of had a good camp but his play on the field was terrible.

9. By Dimito Sesma on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Not upset to see Long go. Like his story, but in the end he just didnt produce when given an opportunity. Hopefully he will catch on somewhere.

10. By Chan on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Hate to see him go but hope to see him end up in a place like KC or at the very least on the practice squad. Also, agree with Devin, as stellar as the defensive line played, a bit more depth would be nice.

11. By Jcaswellsr on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Bout time. Thats all I have to say. Now just drop Doucet and bring back Onrea Jones. And I will be square. Atleast Jones caught the ball and put in the Endzone.

12. By Jeff Gollin on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

For an untried youngster to break into a deep and talented WR unit like ours, he’s got to be very special – a burner, hands of glue, can jump through the roof…something.

Each time Lance was given the opportunity to make that sort of play he fell short.

I have no doubt that (if reports are true) he’ll land in a better situation where there will be less pressure on him to live up to the lofty standards set by a Fitz or a Q. There will be at least one other team who feels he can bring enough to the table to help them win.

13. By C Post on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Whisenhunt can no longer call “Three white” :(

14. By Cameron on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

i was really pulling for him. I like Lance Long and i hope he does well on the Chiefs. Todd Haley always liked him so hopefully he will be on there 53 man roster pretty soon.

15. By Eazy E on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Lance Long did have a great training camp and early on looked good in the preseason but yea i agree 7 receivers is a lot even for the great receiving core the cards have. I hope its a d-linemen because we only have five now or like Rugbymuffin said a OT. ”Levi Jones Anyone”?

16. By K DUB on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

I hope Haley turns that team around, and I’m sure he’ll turn Long to an elite receiver. Good Luck and all the best in K.C. Would be nice to see a Cards/Cheifs Superbowl. what are the odds?

17. By Timbo on Sep 16, 2009 | Reply

Good guy-opportunities are there in the UFL if he wants to keep developing in actual game play instead of practice only. I wish him the best.