• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Beisel available

Posted by Darren Urban on September 29, 2009 – 9:29 pm

Veteran linebacker Monty Beisel, whom the Cardinals wanted to bring back as a free agent before he was lured to Kansas City by Todd Haley, has been released by the Chiefs (Ironically, one of the players signed by the Chiefs Tuesday during the roster moves was former Cards tight end Leonard Pope). Would the Cards still be interested in Beisel? Perhaps. Right now, the only backup inside linebackers are the inexperienced Reggie Walker (who would probably clear through to the practice squad if needed) and the undersized Ali Highsmith.

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to “Beisel available”

1. By shannon robinson on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

I’m an Ali Highsmith fan – I like his speed and closing power and his future. They’re not playing Reggie as much as I would like – but the problem is not in the linebacking corps – maybe if Beisel could block….And I’ve got a soft spot for Beisel the Deisel (i know i pronounce his name differently). The other decisions that are being made are what’s really interesting now.

2. By Cameron on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

block?

3. By Jeff Gollin on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

I’d like to have Monte back.

To grind their way against the wind to make it back to the playoffs, the Cardinals will need all the extra grit they can get.

Right now, this is not a tough, resiliant team & Beisel has a lot of both.

4. By Chris on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

I’d certainly bring Beisel back — he proved to be valuable both as a backup ILB and on special teams.

I’d also consider bringing back Rod Hood to play nickel corner — while he wouldn’t beat out McFadden, I think it would provide us some depth at the corner position (and a guy that could play the nickel spot).

5. By Morgan Black on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

Why worry about LB’s when our OL couldn’t stop a child from getting to Warner?

Or when our head coach decides he wants to call the shots an passes on 3rd an 1?

Having an undersized backup LB, who makes up for it in speed, is no reason to go looking for another with the problems we’ve had so far this year (And many years prior, as far as OL is concerned)

6. By darrenurban on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

Morgan –

No one is saying you worry about the linebackers to the exclusion of the offensive line. But you can look at both.

7. By vsancards on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

@Chris – I agree on Rod Hood. I thought we were going to have 4 solid corners (with Brown being a solid #4 guy). But I think it won’t happen, he did get cut by two teams, so I’m not sure what that says.

Biesel brings experience and a veteran precense, I think it would be a good move.

8. By Mike"Pay Q" on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

Morgan,

If you are referring to the goal line play at the end of the 1st half, it was 1st down, not 3rd. Also it was Kurt who changed the play from a run to the pass play. Of course if the offensive line(literally) could block, maybe he would have run.

9. By Morgan Black on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

I guess more depth is never a bad thing.

And yes, I had the plays confused, the second quarter was a long blur from start to finish heh, my apologies

10. By Zack Potter on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

Darren –

I didn’t know where else to write this so i am just putting it here. Thanks for using that picture for the cover. My brother Sam and Kay are just insanely happy and think it is the coolest thing ever. Also I thought it was so cool to see my name in one of your articles. Like I said I go on here everyday, probably multiple times a day, so to see my name on the Cardinals website was just amazing. The organization players, coaches, executive people, reporters everyone is just so wonderful and me and my family and girlfriend felt so included and involved. So i guess I’m just saying thank you! Keep up the great work with the website! Go Cardinals!

Zack Potter

11. By cards fan on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

Bring Back Beisel and Hood!!!

12. By Ryan on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

we won’t sign Beisel because the bidwills are too cheap to do so. Adding depth during the season? Thats unheard for the Cards.

13. By Big Red on Sep 30, 2009 | Reply

Bring back Beisel, the problem is that the Cards let go of alot of players that wanted to prove, that they were hungry to get back to the SUPER BOWL. Including are defensive coach, who was fired. Too many new players that never went through last years great season, they just don’t have the mind and heart in what happen last year.

14. By cards fan on Oct 1, 2009 | Reply

What happened to Travis LaBoy? What is he doing right now? Or J.J. Arrington?

15. By darrenurban on Oct 1, 2009 | Reply

Cards fan –

Both guys are out of the league right now, I assume rehabbing the injuries that put them out of the league. LaBoy’s season was apparently already a question when the Cards released him; Arrington’s knee problem was bad enough the Broncos signed him and then cut him soon after.

2. Sep 29, 2009: Twitted by Cardschatter