• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

The way A-Dub sees it

Posted by Darren Urban on October 6, 2009 – 9:39 am

As part of a new weekly web feature called “The Way I See It,” Adrian Wilson has some interesting things to say, particularly right off the top: “I think the Super Bowl run we had last year is a built-in excuse for us, something we shouldn’t have to look back to get focused for a game or get focused for the season. It was last year and it should be a thing of the past. Ultimately it’s up to the team and us as a collective unit to get things turned around.”

Many of the players aren’t happy with the way things have started for the Cards, but you can see it burning in the long-time vets like Wilson and Anquan Boldin. That makes sense to me — they had been through some lousy football for a long time, and now that there is a chance to change things long-term, they don’t want to see the opportunity slip away.

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “The way A-Dub sees it”

1. By Rick on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

While I am a HUGE A-Dub fan, didn’t he have two penalties and a blown coverage that led to 10 points for SF in the openner? They all need to quit talking and just focus on playing. Especially on the defensive side of the ball!! So far this season they have been HORRIBLE on Pass D!!!

2. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

I am happy to see some of the longer tenured Cardinals realizing the situation with the Cardinals organization is *gasp* bigger than the Superbowl. Decades of losing, poor play, poor decisions, and horrendous football is not going to be forgotten with one playoff run. 9-7. That is all they accomplished last year in the regular season, that is no where near consistant, dominant, and is one win (if you think about the Mondy night SF game), or even one yard away from .500.

There is still much work to be done in AZ.

3. By Rodrigo on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

Darren, I´m a Cardinals Fan ever since Kurt Warner started playing there. I knew him from back in the days when he played overhere in Europe for the Amsterdam Admirals. How I enjoyed the Cards Superbowl run last season. And I can´t stop watching these games summaries on my iPOD, over and over again. Now I guess it could only make sense that the Cards had to begin this season, knowing they had to live up to high expectations. As a team, but moreover I guess, as individuals.. I think that´s the mayor cause of going through Preseason without a decent win, and having to fail in every aspect of the game against two worthy opponents. Now I hope they will set that “anything less than another Superbowl final would be a disaster”- mentality, aside! For me as a Card fan, I already enjoyed so much from last year, that for now, I don´t mind watching our team just playing “good football” again. Therefore, please, may the players loosen up some more? May the fun return to the Cards game again? May this team pick-up it´s learning curve again, and grow into a consistent team that´s forever to be along the best in the NFL history. That way, I´m convinced many more Superbowl runs will lie ahead in the next years to come… For now, can they please stop worrying about another Superbowl-run? So after the Colts game, I kind a got the impression that a lot of Card fans jumped of the bandwagon. And for the remainder of the nation, the Cards are back to be the laughing stock of the league. So much negativity and no one gives the Cards a lot of possibilities to head into Playoffs again. Perfect! Now let´s get back to fundamentals, let´s get back to “learn and grow”, let´s relax and have fun playing Football again. As the whole world already buried the Cards, you might as well “shock that world again!!!” Good luck to the Cards, and many greetings from a Red Bird in Madrid, Spain.

4. By JERRY HAYS on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

I don’t believe you can lose both coordinators and have a fluid transition in three games,. But I also believe that the players are a little lost. I couldn;’t believe the way the Colts moved the ball and how porous the o-line was. Warner can’t bring the team from behind week after week. What happened to the pass rush we saw in the Super Bowl? I agree that last year was last year and the team needs to prove itself all over again. I have been a fan since 1962 when they were in St Louis. I also have one question. What has happened to Leinart? If he isn’t the future of the franchise, find out who is. He seems to a lot of smiling and horsing around on the sidelines, as if he is olbivious to what is happening on the field. We need less horsing around and more focus on the task at hand.

5. By darrenurban on Oct 6, 2009 | Reply

Jerry –

Re Leinart: Obviously all fans have the right to their opinion. But I wrote about this a few times in camp and I will say it again: I don’t understand the judgments so often made on Leinart (again, this isn’t directed just to you). No one really knows what is going on during games or what is expected of Leinart. I find it hard to believe he would be messing around on the sideline and never have the coaches say anything to him. Also, no one sees him — as I did today — pulling out some of the blocking mats on the field (player’s day off, remember) and working on his footwork while throwing passes to trainer Chad Cook. Even if he is the future, you’re not pulling Warner. The team is 1-2, not 3-9. They may not end up making a run this season, but it’s way too early to know that.

6. By Ryan on Oct 7, 2009 | Reply

Rick,

Your so right about A-Dub. He is not a coverage safety and rarely makes picks. He even takes bad angles on tackling like in the colts game where Donald Brown ran 75 yrds on a screen pass. Everybody likes him because of his hard hits but thats all he really does and when he’s at the line of scrimmage hes a good run stopper.

So this being said why the heck don’t the cards put him as a linebacker where he can be most effective or at least blitz him 75% of the time at the SS positon? Again, hes bad in coverage so work to his strengths of rushing the passer and run stopping, please!

7. By Dirak on Oct 7, 2009 | Reply

I am glad many fans have a question about A-dub, then I wouldn’t be a hater-type. I don’t know if A-dub is caught between covering mistakes by CB’s and taking care of his own play or if he is not a good coverage SS which either way is hurting us a lot. DRC clearly stresses to make big plays but when a QB is someone who picks on missed assignments, we lose big time like in Colts game. We don’t suck as a team, we are just wavy and inconsistent in our defense and O Lines. Its rare that a QB forces throws, as in Carolina’s game last year, where you could make your own personal adjustments to be the big interception play maker. We need a consistent game plan and I believe Bill Davis (defense) and Russ Grimm (run/OL) could provide a perfect one. Levi Brown and the OL needs to step up and protect the pass and open up lanes. The secondary needs to shut down the WR’s on man to man until the LB blitz disrupts the QB’s pass. Otherwise the 3-4 might just be a bad transition.
    As of Leinart, he needs to calm himself under pressure and learn to be undisturbed by blitz like Kurt. For example, a simple short pass to Tim could boost his confidence to go down field but he throws it so high that by the time the RB is down on his feet, the defense has already tackled him. I don’t think Matt Leinart is that inaccurate, then otherwise he shouldn’t even be in this league. Matt Leinart is athletically talented, he just need to use that effectively.
    Don’t try to prove yourself or worry about being the future QB, just play football and stick to the game plan.

8. By TARL SAMPSON on Oct 7, 2009 | Reply

I think Adrian Wilson is an outstanding player. He keeps the Big plays in front of him and makes the stop before it turns into something bigger. Mc Fadden has done a good job as well. DRC has great potential, but wants to make the interception and has paid for being in the wrong spot. He needs to back off a bit and let things come naturally, play it safe. We lost to very good teams and should not be ashamed. That being said, we have come to pass out lolipops and butt kickens, and we are all out of lolipops….