Whiz on the line

Posted by Darren Urban on October 8, 2009 – 11:34 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt was asked about the offensive line, and perhaps if — when things go bad — they are overly criticized.

“It’s hard to evaluate linemen on their game based on how they individually played or how the group played,” Whisenhunt said. “It seems to be they are evaluated based on your team’s statistics, whether it’s sacks given up or how much you rush for or those kinds of things. Sometimes it may not be their fault.

“I don’t think there is any question we need to be more consistent at the position. I think we showed we improved last season at the position.”

The offensive line is always an interesting topic. Obviously, they aren’t noticed when things go right and they are when things aren’t right. And I have always subscribed to the idea that, given all the moving parts on an offense (or defense, for that matter), it’s so hard to know exactly what went wrong on a given play. Did Kurt Warner get sacked because the line missed a block? Or did he hold it too long? Or did he hold it long because the receiver messed up his assignment?

Like Whisenhunt said, the line needs more consistency. It goes without saying that Mike Gandy and Levi Brown probably won’t name the Colts’ game as one of their all-timers, but there were bumpy spots last year too. The next two weeks, against OK but not great pass-rushing teams in the Texans and Seahawks, will show a lot. And the line (as well as the whole team) will need to be playing at a high level by Oct. 25, when the nation sees the Cardinals on “Sunday Night Football” again in New York against another great pass-rushing team in the Giants.

Tags: , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Whiz on the line”

1. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 8, 2009 | Reply

While we have improved from the days of Jason Starkey, Chris Dishman, and Anthony Clement, this offensive line is still very average talent wise.

There is a lot of potential with our younger offensive lineman, but they have a lot to learn before we give them a chance to show what they can do.

As for Levi Brown…………………

2. By Eric on Oct 8, 2009 | Reply

Who asked this question? And why would it be phrased “overly criticized”? I have a HUGE problem with Coach Whisenhunt’s initial answer. No, the o-line was not judged by the overall offensive performance. Rather, the o-line was judged on their HORRIBLE protection of the entire offensive backfield!

Did he miss the play where Warner ran backwards for 20 yards trying to preserve his life? Warner is known for his quick reads and getting the ball off under pressure. That hasn’t changed. It’s the o-line.

The o-line DID improve last season. The problem is consistency, as the coach correctly pointed-out. I’d like to see some of these poor performers benched from time to time, as Coach Whisenhunt always hints at, but never actually follows-through with.

3. By darrenurban on Oct 8, 2009 | Reply

Eric –

You are allowed to have your opinion for sure. I didn’t ask the question. The main reason I put it in was to place into context Whisenhunt’s answer. I also think the question was based on an overall situation, and that was how Whisenhunt was answering. There is no question there were problems against the Colts. I understand the idea of benching someone, but I don’t know enough about those guys who would play and neither do the fans. The coaches have to judge practice and make those calls. It’s always a be-careful-what-you-wish-for situation when you are asking for significant change. If Whisenhunt/Grimm don’t think, for example, Herman Johnson is ready to play in place of Levi Brown, I don’t think it’d be wise to make such a move.

4. By fitz 4 mt rushmore on Oct 8, 2009 | Reply

Gandy has been bad against speed rushers, Levi has been terrible for 2 years. Isn’t it about time the Cards do with Levi what they should have done with Leonard Davis and move him to guard? The human turnstile at RT has to go.

5. By shannon robinson on Oct 8, 2009 | Reply

It would help this line if we ran the ball more. I am disappointed that we brought in Kreider and Wright who are both good blockers and we don’t play either a significant amount of time. Beanie sounds like he’s losing confidence – he must be so afraid of mistakes now. We should run Beanie behind Kreider on first and second downs and make a real effort to give him at least twelve touches a game. This team wins big with a consistant 100 yard rusher – I thought that’s what Grimm and Coach believed in. Can’t wait. Maybe Keith for a drive? The Planet for a series….

6. By Dirak on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

It’s funny how coaches never want to blame players out in the open. Its customary but if anyone comes out to me and says Harlason run over Levi Brown 38 times is a QB’s or a receiver’s mistake, I would be damned. Levi Brown was not beaten speed wise, he wasn’t focused on his assignment (At least that was what I wanted to believe). But then he did it again (in Colts game) and he wasn’t covering D. Freeney. Coach did say the OL is in consistent and they might not be fully responsible and technically he is right, it wasn’t the OL’s fault, it was Brown’s and Gandy’s fault. I would hate to criticize my own team but I also want to stay true to myself. Let’s forget the past and focus on the Texans game, which I think is a very crucial. We win this, we lessen the gap between us and San Fran. DE Smith and Mario Williams, now that’s a test right there. We will see.

7. By TARL SAMPSON on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

We are using the best we have for the O~line. The got into a bit of trouble, but they are shoring up as best the can. I think once our offense gets clicking it will take alot of the pressure off the big guys up front. What they dont have in natural talent , they make up in heart. These guys helped us get to the superbowl and dont think they should be put under the buss. Remember, we are missing Todd Haley as well, who was the mastermind behind many of our plays.

8. By Barry on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

Levi has been horrible for the last couple of years , Cant believe we passed on AP.

9. By James on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

Check this out this is what needs to happen…stop making excuses and play SOME FOOTBALL, YA FREENY TORE UP GANDY and KO’d Kurt a couple of times tooo many, but what was the deal with the run play in the red Zone, are we scared cause of the one hundred yard run back from last year, this is where i get off track… Now I have been saying why are PRO teams putting up Millions to these college kids that are holding out for more money like they did with Leinart and can not seem to prove themselves as a PRO!! now here we go with Wells, now dont get me wrong i think Wells will be an excellent Player once he learns to hang on to the ball, bottom line…DONT PAY THESE COLLEGE KIDS UNTIL THEY CAN PROVE THEY CAN HANDLE THE PRO BUSINESS, however unfortunate it is how many millions have been spent to have a kid right outta college sit the bench cause they are not up to speed, its not the players fault or their AGENTS FAULT ALL THEY BOTH WANT TO DO IS GET RICH quick..my suggestion..have a high / low league minimum Salary for college players based on their abilities as a college player, and as they have proven themselves as a PRO then give them the monetary REWARDS they have worked hard for and DESERVE…just tired of hearing bout college kids holding out to become a flop getting paid more than proven PROs !!! NUFF SAID CARD FAN BY THE WAY

10. By James on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

Guess i was not finished .. whats up with the trick plays… come on WhiZ.. Mix it up a little bit dont be so predictable, Oh ya and hey lets lock up that O LINE, my prediction for the Fight….Cards 21 Tex 10 Fitz 2 TDS Hightower one TD… not asking for much…