About DRC’s high-stepping …

Posted by Darren Urban on October 16, 2009 – 9:53 am

There is no question Hall of Famer Larry Wilson is a fan of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, as are most with the young cornerback. But as thrilling as DRC’s interception and subsequent return for a touchdown was last weekend against Houston, his high-stepping over the last 20 yards or so — at one point, it was hard to tell if Texans tight end Owen Daniels, thanks to DRC’s slowing with the leg kicks, might actually get to DRC and shove him out before the end zone — left some shaking their head. Including Wilson.

“If there was one thing I’d say, I’d like to see them remain profesional, make sure you get to the end zone before you celebrate,” said Wilson, who attended the game Sunday. “I stood up and yelled, ‘Run for gosh sakes! Run!’ “

Coach Ken Whisenhunt acknowledged after the game he was concerned about the move and noted “We’ll have a discussion about that.”

The discussion has happened, DRC said. But in a lot of ways, the thing that creates the confidence in DRC is the same thing that allows the high-stepping to seep out in that situation.

“It’s the same thing,” DRC said of his confidence and how he reacts to a big play. “You want to showboat a little bit. Interceptions are hard to come by in this league and when you get your hands on one, you get that feeling. Those feelings and emotions came out of me having a bad, bad week before.”

So as far as DRC changing his habits?

“Coaches said something, but you know, as far as toning it down … it’s not looking very good,” DRC said. “That’s just not me.”

DRCHighstepBlog

Tags: , , , ,

22 Responses to “About DRC’s high-stepping …”

1. By GATOR on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

Its one thing for DRC to go Deon on his way towards the end zone, if DRC played consistently as Deon did every weekend for an entire career making him one the most feared cover corners to play the game. DRC needs to work more on his consistency in play than his high stepping. He’s been victimized far too much in his early career to high step like the game changer he thinks he is.

2. By elguapo on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

Kid has all the tools to succeed, but his ego will continue to get in the way.

3. By Mike"Pay Q" on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

So the coaches told him to turn it down, but he says he doesn’t see that happening. That is what is wrong with this team. Too many people more concerned with themselves than the team, and they all play on defense, which surprisingly sucks.

4. By Trips Right on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

What you guys are saying is what everyone said about Deion early on…..how did he end up? Right!…..you have to think you are the best in this league. It’s what helps you compete.

5. By Sir Whirly on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

lol. Personally, considering he doesn’t do this on a regular basis, I think it probably felt good for him. He lost a lot of confidence because of the past few games and I think that pick 6 is the make or break thing we have been waiting for. So go ahead young man and high step all the way to the end zone.

6. By Ralph on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

Yup Gator Is Right

7. By Todd on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

Let the guy have some fun. What difference does it make? He intercepted the ball and won the game for the Cardinals for gosh sakes! He has had a tough 2009 thus far so let the guy blow off some steam if he wants to. The way the team has been playing, I don’t care if he did somesaults all the way to the end zone as long as he scored and the Cardinals won. And I am SICK of morons Dale Hellestrae and Dan Mannucci on 12 sports whining about DRC “hot dogging” or anyone on the Cards for that matter. Shut up morons, the Cards won!

Just like when Mora was ticked at Haley for so called “running up the score” against Seattle on Holmgrens last day. When have the Cards even been able to “run up the score” on anyone here in Arizona?! What is it with all these cry babies in the NFL caring how a team wins or intercepts a pass, etc. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. DRC intercepted, scored and won the game for the Cardinals after the offense and defense collapsed. The guy should get a statue made of him for that play if you ask me.

8. By dimitosesma on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

i see nothing wrong with drc high stepping for what to me was like 40+ yards. it was a clutch play at a crucial point of the game. let drc do his thing people.

9. By Patrick on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

High stepping…the Coach and the defensive captain, A -Dub ,say tone it down: DRC says “that’s not for me”. I can’t believe it.

Can you say “pine time”, Deion wanna be? Btw, the writer above talked about how Deion turned out to be…he turned out to be the biggest jerk in the NFL and said he would sell his Superbowl tickets if the Cards made it b/c the game would be a joke.

DRC embarrassed himself and his team and he’s too immature to understand it…it was simply poor sportsmanship. Sit him until the lesson is learned.

10. By Joe on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

If he picks off that thing he can strut as much as he wants, just don’t drop it.

11. By az1965 on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

I also started to feel he might get pushed out at the 2 or 1 yard line… that was not good. I agree there needs to be professionalism which is lacking from so many players now. Have you seen Fitz showboat? Let your game showboat itself.

12. By Trips Right on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

Ok, so now we are comparing DRC to Deion post retirement……wow. It keeps getting better by the minute. I personally don’t like the showboating, but there is nothing they are going to do about it. They are not going to put him on the bench unless his play demands it, not his showboating.

13. By William on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

Didn’t the same thing happen at some point last year?

14. By Dirak on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

One thing I would say to DRC is, don’t cover for things that happened the past weeks with one interception. When you forget about your mistakes, you forget about learning. Our secondary needs all the help it could get and I believe you have the potential and speed to cover one on one to help succeed in 3-4. You got us the winning TD, I don’t care if you moonwalk your way in. You can learn professionalism on your own. Fans always complain about single plays, but they forget your valuability in the teams future. Whatever you do, don’t do it to prove youself to the coach, to the players, to the fans or anybody else for that matter. Do it for the team.

15. By Joe on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

He went a little overboard with the high stepping but common people!!! How old is this kid? 21, 22 ?? He has good coaching and good leaders on this team that will point him in the right direction.

16. By T-Bruce on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

I was never a big fan of the showboaters, but I also hate the no fun allowed rules. He scored it was a game winner, no worries. If he got tackled or stripped then we have grounds for concern. I was actually hoping he went out of bounds so they could have taken some time off the clock, and maybe Tim or Larry could have gotten me some more needed fantasy points lol

Leon Lett, deserved all the criticism Cowboys fans could throw at him. If DRC knew he had it, I think it will only bolster his confidence, and ability.

17. By Big D on Oct 17, 2009 | Reply

I thought it was cool so what if he celebrates look at the ball he has it tucked in to make it hard to be stripped from behind hes watching the only guy who has a chance to get him and knows there is no way for him to catch him dudes to quick to get caught by a tight end and his highstepping shows that he has confidence in his gifts

18. By Eazy E on Oct 17, 2009 | Reply

OMG!!! Give me a break. Drc made a huge game-changing play to basically win the game. I like when players have swagger and confidence. That’s why people call it the No Fun League. He can high step, put the hand on the back of his head, whatever, as long as he’s ballin. Drc is a confident player and we need that from him, if you ask me I love it!!! I totally agree with Todd.

19. By Boondock on Oct 17, 2009 | Reply

Ehh I was there and was pumped the whole time his scrawny little legs were high-stepping. If it gets out of hand I am sure A_Dub will regulate on him and put him in his place. A_Dub is one man I would not want to make mad.

20. By chem dawg on Oct 17, 2009 | Reply

SCREW THE CRITICS……….GET SUM T-D.R.C. !!!!!!
    “TOUCH-DOWN RODGERS-CROMARTIE”

21. By Bruce on Oct 17, 2009 | Reply

As a huge Cards and Warner fan from St. Louis, I reveled in watching Warner and the Cards success last year. I also could not stop rooting for Hightower and DRC. But the high-stepping before clearing the end-zone, combined with his dismissal of his Coaches direction, reeks of an ego that has and will continue to hurt the team.

I am a psychologist of sorts, who specializes in the study of precision performance of elite/outlier professions. When you study the elite outliers of any performance based profession, you find most exhibit a quiet confidence that is more unnerving to the opposition than strutting. You also find elite outliers are consummate students of the game, who will sit at the feet of their peers to learn the subtle nuances of the game to gain an extra advantage. What makes the truly elite is a combination of skills, intellect and their enhanced pattern recognition, which gives them additional time to entrap the opposition, instead of reacting to the opposition.

Warner, Wilson, Fitz, Bolden, Rolle; all exude that air of lethal competence. Its no surprise their performance is consistent with elite outlier traits.

But I agree with you Patrick, DRC’s dismissal of his coach is not a byproduct of youth but talent limiting ego. Consider the difference between DRC and Hightower.

Hightower comes from a small school, undrafted and was a considered a long shot of playing second string. He does not have the break away speed or bruising power, but he does have incredible game intellect and spirit that makes him a threat. He has shown nothing but professionalism and a maturity years beyond his age. When he got moved to the starting slot behind Edge last year, he maintained humility and demonstrated constant respect for the delicacy surrounding the benching of Edge. Hightower never stopped learning behind Edge last year, and when the Cards drafted Wells, he put his head down and worked to become better instead of pouting. Even now when he clearly lacks the skills of Wells, but his drive and humility are giving him an edge in game performance.

Have you ever heard an interview with Hightower? Nothing comes out of his mouth but respect for the game and his team, his attention to making himself better, and humility, humility, humility. I don’t know how many times I have heard Hightower express the fear of letting down his team.

DRC’s high-stepping risked a win. And for him to dismiss the directions of the Coaches is indicative of arrogance, not confidence. If he was/is playing shut down defense, then one could rationalize his actions and ego. But one interception is far from justifying a public dismissal of his Coach’s direction.

DRC has incredible potential, and can truly be an elite outlier — if — he can learn to play with his intellect instead of ego and immaturity. I hope some of his defensive colleagues provides a little non-verbal attitude adjustment.

22. By Darog on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

DRC, if you don’t respect the coaches wishes you should be benched!!! Tone it down DRC or go some where else and show boat!!! Be professional – you’re going to end up fumbling the ball before you make a touch down one of these times and that would be a shame. Leave the celebrations for after you make the touch downs!!!