• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Silly Giants, tricks are for Cards

Posted by Darren Urban on October 27, 2009 – 10:11 am

The play was set up perfectly. Safety Antrel Rolle, who proved back in training camp of 2008 when he was sidelined with an ankle sprain that he can wing the ball some 75 yards, was in at quarterback on offense in the wildcat formation. We already know what Rolle can do when he has his hands on the ball. So when he faked the handoff to LaRod Stephens-Howling and rolled right, a team’s defense has to stay honest. Maybe that’s why arguably the best receiver in the NFL got so wide open. Then again, Larry Fitzgerald dropped what should have at least gotten the ball inside the Giants’ 5-yard line. And there was a holding call anyway.

Still, it was a victory for coach Ken Whisenhunt’s play-calling, and the possibilities with Rolle back there should grow from here, Whisenhunt said. “It’s fun,” Whisenhunt said. “It’s a fun thing to do in practice. Our guys get really excited about it. I am just excited that the scheme of it worked. … Had we completed it and had we scored, the guys would still be talking about it.”

Whisenhunt said such plays help team chemistry. There’s a downside, of course. Other players go to coaches looking to play a different position here and there.

“I think you have to temper those things,” Whisenhunt acknowledged. “You have a number of guys who want to go to the other side of the ball, whether it’s some of our offensive guys wanting to blitz or some defensive guys wanting to be offensive players. As long as we don’t go overboard and we are sound in what we are trying to do, I’m all for it.”

Oh, and as long as Fitz makes the catch next time.

TrickPlayBlog

Tags: , , ,

17 Responses to “Silly Giants, tricks are for Cards”

1. By ryan on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

that play was awesome, i think it fooled everybody even at home watching it on tv. Gotta give it to Whiz, he comes up with the best trick plays.

2. By Dan Loerch on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

Darren, can you shed any light on what the unifying factor is on our Defense. I have never seen them play better, top to bottom. They truly are playing like a team instead of looking for the individual spotlight. I believe this is one of the keys to their success.

At the end of the game it looked like McFadden led a Defensive huddle. Do you know what was going on in there?

Also, some fans on the message board are looking for a name for this unit. From what I have seen, they have earned the right to name themselves. What do the players say about themselves?

See You in Three! Carddan

3. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

Antrel Rolle has a cannon of an arm and he runs ints back for touchdowns several times a year. I hope coach will at least consider more of Rolle in this roll.

I still don’t know how Larry dropped that pass and at least one other. Not his best night all-around, but he made some key catches the end. But the win is all that matters, and I’m sure Larry will make up for a few of those Sunday mistakes in a big way.

4. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

Oh, and Antrel wears a glove on his throwing hand just like Kurt, so that’s gotta count for something too!

5. By Ian on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

Not pretty but could have been deadly effective. Very Rothlesburgeresque

6. By pimp on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

That play was SICK!!! I would love to see more “wildcat” type plays. On a more important note, I am thrilled fitz didn’t pull it in. I mean, can you imagine if he did catch it, how ben would feel for costing us a touchdown on that holding call.

GO CARDINALS!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! I AM BEHIND YOU EVERY STEP, WIN OR LOSE.

7. By B on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

That was a beautiful pass by Antrel! I’d love to see him get into some more wildcat formations. Great spiral ..again great job for trying Antrel!! Think the play has lots of potential! :thumbs up:

8. By Eazy E on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

Yeah, loved the trick play antrel in the wildcat taking the snap faking it to lsh and optioning back to pass fitz is WIDE OPEN and caught it but the two defenders hit him to jar it loose. Great play call whiz!

9. By Cameron on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

That was a great play but when Q gets healthy will we see him doing some wild cat like last year?? we all know what he can do with the ball in his hands and he used to play quarterback so he has an arm.

10. By Robert on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

Not the best pass by Antrel because Larry had to stop and wait for the ball to come to him, though he shoud’ve caught it. It looked like he was trying to turn and run into the endzone before fully securing the ball. I was glad for the holding call though; otherwise it would have made Fitz look bad. Otis, Larry didn’t drop another ball other than the trick play. You could be referring to the end of the game where we threw on 3rd and 4 with 3 minutes left. Larry didn’t drop it, the defender got a hand on it.

11. By Joe on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

Its nice to see that we have a few Wildcat packages to try out, Beanie, Anquan, and Rolle have a few plays they can do in there from what I have seen.

12. By darrenurban on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

Dan –

I don’t know exactly what it is. They claim they haven’t changed. I do think Bill Davis has brought an accountability that no one player is bigger than the other 10. Maybe that has helped. McFadden did lead that huddle. I’m not sure what it was for, but my guess is it was something along the lines of “Let’s not let this end here, we have to continue to play this well from here on out.” I will ask him if I can.

As for a nickname, I don’t think the players care. Unless someone wants to call them The Best Defense In The NFL. But they know they have to earn that one.

13. By Big Red on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

Dam proud of you Cardinals!

14. By CardsDNA on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

Nicknames…WE DONT NEED NO STINK”N NICKNAMES

9-0 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. By TucsonTim on Oct 28, 2009 | Reply

Darren, any word about a league fine against Michael Johnson for the helmet to helmet hit on Warner during that blitz in the first quarter? Considering that D-linemen are getting flagged for a brush of the hand to the helmet, that was a terrible non-call.

Did you catch Coughlin’s press conference on ESPN. I know it was only 30 seconds or so but clearly he gave no credit to the Cards whatsoever. It was all about NY’s mistakes and poor play.

Personally I think the Cards play better when they don’t get any respect. When I heard Collinsworth give credit to Coach Wiz for creating a new culture in Arizona I thought I was going to fall out. Lets hope this NY Giants win is considered to just be another fluke, just like getting to the super bowl last year.

16. By darrenurban on Oct 28, 2009 | Reply

TucsonTim –

The fines for the week usually aren’t announced until Friday. I will look into it. As for Coughlin, it never bothers me when a coach doesn’t give credit the other way. I always feel like it’s kind of forced when they do give credit anyway. The coaches are usually ticked after a loss like that. If the Cards had lost, 24-17, Whisenhunt I am sure would have been steaming, angry at the missed opportunities. Now, as far as the respect from the national folks, that to me should be a little different. But it is what it is, to quote the great Emmitt Smith, and in the end, it doesn’t affect the outcome on the field.

2. Nov 4, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogPeterson means no offense — yet «