Whiz praises Urban

Posted by Darren Urban on November 5, 2009 – 3:25 pm

In what I am sure will come as a disappointment to some fans out there judging by the comments I have seen in various places, coach Ken Whisenhunt defended wide receiver Jerheme Urban today when asked if Urban had followed up what everyone considered a very good training camp with the same level of play during the season.

“It is hard when you’re not getting a tremendous amount of reps or when you have the other receivers we have on this team,” Whisenhunt said. “It is easy to look at Jerheme after that weird play when it bounced up in the air and there was the interception. But he has done some good things for us. He brings us speed as far as stretching the field. I am pleased with the way Jerheme has worked for us.”

Urban did have the play in which the ball was blasted from his hands for an interception and Whisenhunt has acknowledged he hopes Urban can hang on to that ball. But it wasn’t a cut-and-dried play; ESPN’s Trent Dilfer broke down the Cards’ offensive issues and even that play in particular on Mike Sando’s blog:

Take that pass to Urban that was intercepted. It’s a 7-8 combination with the 8 route (post) on the outside with a 7 (post-corner) on the inside. When you freeze that play right when Kurt threw the ball, the outside corner has carried the 8 route. Urban comes out of the 7 and to Jerheme’s eye and Kurt’s eye, the corner has run out of the play. When the ball is 2 or 3 yards downfield, the corner recognizes it late and makes an incredible play. Arizona does everything you ask them to do. Perfect combination, perfect route, perfectly thrown ball and the corner makes the play and the ball comes up and you know what? There was another guy there to catch it. You tell Jerheme to catch the ball, to brace for the hit. You tell Kurt to maybe put less air on it so the corner doesn’t get there. But when you throw the ball that much, those things are going to happen — tipped balls, deflected balls, defensive ends jumping out of cut blocks.”

In the end, the coaches feel like Urban gives something to the team that’s needed, in the locker room, on special teams (like his hit pictured below) and yes, as a receiver.

UrbanBlog

Tags: ,

26 Responses to “Whiz praises Urban”

1. By Logan on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

The only urban that whiz should be praising is a guy named Darren. He is payed millions of dollars….catch the dang ball.

2. By Long Meat on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Sorry Coach im not with you on this one urban may be a good 4th or 5th reciever at best but Early Doucet is way more talented and deserves a chance..What happen to the old whiz who sit a player if they were meeting expectation or what happen to just playin the better player to help the team…whiz i got alot of respect for you took us to the Superbowl but i must be honest. Your coaching decision have been very mediocure from the players on the field to alot of bad play calling. Im still in your corner and i will always be a cardinal fan but i wish you would get out ur ways and listen to others once in awhile cya

3. By ben on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Urban tips too many balls to cause INTS he’s good on special teams but is not a good receiver. Early Doucet deserves a chance!

4. By darrenurban on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Logan —

Sad to say, I am not expecting any praise from coach Whiz anytime soon. :)

5. By Paul on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Darren, question. Is the team leaving Friday or Saturday? Just curious.

6. By darrenurban on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Paul —

The team is leaving Saturday.

7. By Kevin on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

I am not sure why everyone think that Doucet is going to be such a beast. He played well in college, yes… But why are we so confident that he will be the clear cut 3/4 wr on our team? I agree, he needs to get some playing time, but I am not ready to “crown” him yet.

8. By Secret on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

Jeremy Urban is the best option for a 4th receiver because, as the article said, he stretches the field

9. By Dave on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

I am about the only supporter of Urban that I know of. Very few of us see what he really brings to the team. The majority see the bad plays like the int against Carolina and immediately forget anything good that he ever does. I felt like he should have been able to hang on to that pass, but I have seen MANY receivers drop it, or catch it only to get it blasted free with a bone jarring hit. That one was riding the thin line as to whether it should have been hung on to or not, and if he’d hung on, 90% of the fan base would have forgotten about it immediately because his name is not Fitzgerald or Boldin. Then the next time Warner bounced a bullet off his shoulder pad from 10 yards instead of leading him by 3 feet, he’d be a worthless piece of garbage again who is incapable of catching Warner’s “perfect” passes.

10. By Chris on Nov 5, 2009 | Reply

I love Urban. Most people who hate him don’t know what they are talking about. I’ve seen Fitz drop just as many passes this season. Then again, urban isn’t number 11 so people harp on him. Early has/will get his chance. The coach obviously doesn’t see him worth the playing time right now. I trust the Whiz who works long hours on football than the people who only spen 3 hrs\week watching it being the couch QB.

11. By ryan on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

Urban is just too much of a risk to put him out on the field. Specials teams..thats fine let him go out there and tackle or block somebody but the dude is just too inconsistent with catching. It seems everytime Jerheme doesn’t catch a pass it bounces up in the air or when he catches he doesn’t have the strength to hang onto the ball. I’m not crowning Doucet but Urban kills drives and games when he doesn’t make the play. I mean c’mon, Early Doucet can’t be any worse!

12. By bp on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

I think the pass off Urban should be ruled a fumble not an INT. Any chance the NFL will changed the result? Urban had complete control and took a step, then lost the ball on the hit.

13. By sampsonpride@yahoo.com on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

Well I for one think Jerheme Urban is a great reciever. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not watched many of the games. He is a reliable reciever that has proven himself year after year in the league. Maybe next to such stars he does not shine as bright, but I know a good horse when I see one.

14. By Bob on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

@Logan: Urban is pretty much making the minimum for a player with his years in the league, which is not “millions.” It’s not even one million.

@Long Meat: perhaps Coach knows a little bit more about what Jerheme brings to the table than you do. It’s not easy to get any sort of rhythm as a receiver when you only get a few touches a game.

@Dave: agree. It’s funny how nobody calls out the other Cards WRs when similar things happen the them. You’re not the only Urban supporter out there, but the loudmouth complainers do seem to predominate, don’t they.

I think the best thing for Jerheme is to get on another team where he can be a #2 or #3 WR and get more consistent playing time. Someone else will give him that chance after this season (and his contract) is over. Maybe Haley will bring him in at KC.

15. By Denise on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

Who has more dropped balls this season, Urban, Boldin or Fitz?

16. By Mike on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

I don’t have a problem with Urban on the team at all. This situation is similar to the TE debacle we had in the beginning of the season. We had Becht and Spach on the active roster who by all accounts are very similar players. For some reason we had Byrd who had a great preseason inactive for all those games w/ Patrick out.
    IMO Morey and Urban have evolved into similar players. Morey made a nice catch sunday (brought back on a hold) and urban made a nice special team tackle. Why don’t we instead decide between Urban and Morey as to who we want as a WR/ST player and have Ducet take the other spot.
    Now that we have Patrick we have a legit receiving TE along with Becht who has done a good job blocking.

17. By darrenurban on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

bp —

I actually looked into that myself, thinking the same thing. But if you watch the replay in real time, there’s no way he actually had the catch before it came loose. If it had hit the ground, it definitely would have been incomplete and not a fumble, hence, an interception on the turnover.

18. By darrenurban on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

Denise —

I just blogged about that last week (I don’t have updated numbers from the Carolina game). At that point on the official totals, Boldin had two drops, Fitz one and Urban and Breaston zero, although obviously Fitz and Q had a lot more passes thrown their way.

19. By Reese on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

I just can’t get on the Urban bandwagon. The “strange” play that occurred last weekend with the interception is not an aberration with Urban. Am I incorrect in recalling that this happened at least twice last season in equally critical moments of a game?

20. By Feather on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

I have had the pleasure to personally met #85 Urban last year at the Fox’s sports Grill in Scottsdale. He was a very humble and generous man, he even offered me and my wife something to eat. At that point I have always enjoyed watching him. He is a great receiver with awesome hands. Most of the routes he runs are over the middle. Granted he is not yet, in the league of Ed Mcaffrey. He still does an amazing job and is prolly a #2 WR on most teams. Urban and warner just arent on the same page sometimes. After the playoff interception I asked him what happened, he stated ” Our timing was off, I thought i was going to get the ball a few yards later.” So to his credit he does make a lot of special teams tackles on kick offs, Something that I dont think Doucet being very injury prone has done. Urban is reliable and durable.

21. By TucsonTim on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

Does a tip count as a drop?

22. By tw3kr on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

For whatever reason I was a big Urban fan last year. I still like what I see from him, for the most part. The only problem really comes from him maintaining possession — I don’t know if it’s strength or, because he’s in and out, he’s often playing cold, or what — but he’s been pretty good as the 3-4th guy. Mid-range reliable, with the occasional big play, imo.

I think the argument for Doucet comes mainly from him being picked pretty high and getting some hype here and there…

23. By darrenurban on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

TucsonTim —

I do not know how they officially count a drop. I would guess a tip would not be counted as a drop, since I would think a drop would have to mean the player should have had the catch — which I don’t see how that could be if it is just tipped.

24. By bp on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

thanks darren, I only saw it game day

25. By Jay Martin on Nov 6, 2009 | Reply

I think Urban is doing a good job, hes not the best out there but hes our 4th WR, I agree that Doucet could use a bit more time out there, but overall I am happy with Urbans performance for a 4th reciever. I’m not sure what everyone is expecting, we already have 3 amazing recievers which makes up, in my opinion, the best recieving core in the NFL with the help of Jerheme and Early. So I ask, what more do you guys want?

26. By Kevin on Nov 19, 2009 | Reply

I have known Jerheme along time. He deserves more playing time and more recognition. We are from the same area and he does alot for his hometown. Not taking anything away from the other players, He talks very highly of them himself, AND HAS THE UTMOST RESPECT FOR ALL HIS TEAMMATES. He works just as hard to be on the field every day.It would just be nice to see him get the ball more often, honestly I bet he is one of the fastest players on the team. He was a superstar track athlete in college. I just hope he gets his big chance to shine soon.Please give this guy a chance!