Late to the Dockett-Mora party UPDATED

Posted by Darren Urban on November 17, 2009 – 9:19 am

Well, the escalating feelings the Seahawks have for defensive end Darnell Dockett hit full speed late yesterday afternoon, after Dockett apparently put his forearm into the throat of Seahawks QB Matt Hasselbeck after getting Hasselbeck to the ground at one point Sunday. Hasselbeck wasn’t happy at the time, and Seahawks coach Jim Mora was even less happy yesterday after seeing the film.

“If they’re not going to call it, then I’d like to see our guys do it to their quarterback,” Mora said. “If they’re not going to call it.”

Strong words from a coach, and probably ones that won’t sit well with the league office. Dockett used his Twitter account to respond, saying “Dear coach mora, its football (expletive) happens if u ever played the game ud understand, really I would try to hurt matt. He’s a good guy.” Dockett quickly corrected himself on Twitter saying he meant to say “wouldn’t” try to hurt Hasselbeck. (Hasselbeck hasn’t said anything himself on his own Twitter account).

Interestingly, Dockett went out of his way after the game to praise Hasselbeck in particular and how tough it was to play against him. I haven’t seen the video, but my guess is, if it was caught on tape, Dockett will probably be losing a little money to the NFL by the end of the week.

UPDATE: Dockett addressed the issue.

Tags: , ,

27 Responses to “Late to the Dockett-Mora party UPDATED”

1. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

If Mora doesn’t want that to happen. Then he should coach his offensive line better than he has.

Who knows if Dockett’s forearm was what caused Hasselbeck’s thoat to be sore….it could have been from his constant whining at the refs throughtout the game.

It is football, not a tea party. This is a non-issue.

2. By Eazy E on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Yea, STFU Mora! Stuff happens, dockett and matt been cool, quit crying because your team sucks! Coach better for one and quit makin excuses when you lose.

3. By Greg on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

It did not look intentional to me. Just players trying to get untangled in the pile.

4. By Mike on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Have you seen the play?? It was dirty and should have cost the team 15 yards. Reminded me of Docket from two years ago, thought he had matured.

5. By vsancards on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I’m not so sure I agree with the fans comments. I don’t think Mora is whinning. Football is a tough game, and it is difficult to interpret if Dockett had intent, but he did slam Hasselback on the throat. I love Dockett, but I have seen him jump into people’s knees before…but I guess that is part of the game played by tough guys.

6. By Edward B. on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Yeah, if your guys could even get to the Quarterback…. Can’t wait til Mora gets that pink slip, he’s a coordinator, not a head coach.

7. By Brian on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

As a long time cardinal fan dockett did have his forearm on matt neck for what seem like a little more time then just trying to get up…so does dockett deserve a fine? yes…but it should not be much more then tommie harris measly $7,500 for punching deuce…it dockett was trying to hurt matt..trust me he could have by simply putting his weight on his neck

8. By Paul on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I saw the play on NFL RedZone, they replayed it twice with a close up (although they didn’t mention the forearm, they just talked about the sack) and it was clearly intentional. Dockett put his forearm on his throat and pushed and rubbed it back and forth a little. Not very sportsmanlike. Yeah I know it’s football, but the whistle had blown and the play was done. Not cool, nine-oh. The NFL will be picking your wallet pretty soon, I think!

9. By Charles on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I’m a huge Cards fan but if you watch the video linked below it’s pretty obvious that DD knew exactly what he was doing. It doesn’t get more intentional than that.

10. By Vanimal on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I agree with Mike regarding the maturity of Dockett. However, Hasselbeck should probably expect that type of treatment from the Cards. Over the last two years he has made comments after the losses he played in that have stated that the Seahawk’s beat themselves and that the Cardinals played no role in the outcome of the game. He seems to have an elevated view of himself and struggles with the fact that the Cardinals have displaced his team as the divisional power.

11. By Tod on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Ok Darren … now you have to post the video, or at least a link to the video.

Seeing is believing … one or the other.

12. By Eric on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

That was a dirty move by DD. I would anticipate a healthy fine for that if I were him. It was definitely intended to hurt Matt.

13. By darrenurban on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Tod –

See Charles’ link above.

14. By TucsonTim on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Seeing is believing. Not very sportsman like. Fine should be pretty steep. I’m surprised there wasn’t some kind of retaliation.

15. By newtman on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

you gotta be kidding!
    that was nothing….nothing,if that hurt the guy he should not be playing football…golf may be a better sport for him

16. By john henry on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I just watched the replay. No way that looked intentional. If Jim Mora was a better coach maybe Dockett wouldn’t get to Hasselback so easy and this wouldn’t be an issue. It looks as if hes just focusing on excuses on why they lostand diverting the attenion away from himself, when the real reason is that they are a poorly coached team. Quit crying Mora! And GO CARDS!!!!

17. By CardsDNA on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

okay so I say the play at the game and even made a comment at the time to my game buddies and they did not even notice it.

the comment I had at the time and still now is this: stop being a baby and play football. How many nutt hits do guys take, or eye pokes, the game moves so fast and plays so hard players don’t have time nor should they have to be so concerned what they hit or tackle.

the second point is this: if it was dirty and the ref may call it at unnessecary roughness, and maybe he would have if Hassbeck is not the biggest cry baby in football and stops whining about every play like a 12yr old school girl. Then the ref’s would know something really was wrong.

ohhh and coach mora…. In the words of eddie murphy/richard prior: sit down and have a coke and STHU (you know what I mean). You were a child want’a be coach b4 and you are showing you still are.

18. By Tyler on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I saw it during the game when they showed the replay, but it wasn’t mentioned. Dockett definitely did it on purpose, and it was a dirty move, but he wasn’t trying to hurt Hasselbeck. He obviously could have hurt him if he wanted to, but it’s no different than Beanie Wells getting hit in the head after the play was over. There’s a fine coming to Dockett.

19. By spitfire772 on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I watched it and while I think it was probably intentional, it’s not as blatant as, say, a punch to the facemask. I agree that if Dockett was trying to hurt Hasselbeck, he woulda done a lot more. He shouldn’t have done it, but it doesn’t mean anything.

20. By cardsfannc on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I just watched the video and i also saw it live,if that is all you seahalks have to complane about then take your idiot coach and whinning @ss QB and go on home to Seatle with your tails between your legs..That play was not ON PURPOSE,nor did he put any presure on his neck..you guys are a JOKE!!!

21. By nativedk on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Do you know the type of things that go on under a pile up. It’s football back in the old days that would have been a love tap!!!

22. By Patrick on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I just love Darnell Dockett…”its football”…geez I love him. A man’s man, a football player’s player.

23. By justthefacts on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

Football is a very physical and violent game. But, there’s no excuse for Dockett to do that. I hope that he is MUCH lighter in the wallet. For the sake of discussion, let’s say that a Seahawk did that to Kurt. And, you would say …………………….?

24. By LOVEMYCARDS on Nov 17, 2009 | Reply

I GREW UP PLAYING BALL AND PLAYED IN COLLEGE AND LET ME TELL YOU THAT PLAY WAS INTENTIONAL AND I LOVE IT!!!! FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT HEAD GAMES AND TOUGHNESS, YOU CANT IMAGINE WHAT HAPPENS ON THE BOTTOM OF A FUMBLE PILE, IVE BEEN KICKED IN THE BALLS, FISH HOOKED AND PINCHED TO THE POINT OF BLEEDING. LOVE IT DARNELL KEEP IT UP!!

25. By Dan on Nov 18, 2009 | Reply

Mora is a big wuss, everything looks worse in SLOW-MOTION. So Dockett gave Hasselbeck a love tap. It was really no big deal. As for Mora, have fun picking apples in Washington next year, or maybe daddy can get him a coaching job somewhere…..what a loser.

26. By Big D on Nov 18, 2009 | Reply

I think it was an intentional forearm but I dont believe he meant to put it in his neck he just wanted to put a little weight on the punish him a little ya know

27. By DBWSR on Nov 18, 2009 | Reply

After watching what happened closeup, twice, Docket is not a person I would want on my team. It was clearly intentional. I don’t mind hard hits, I don’t mind stripping the ball, but this, could have broke the guys neck. If you have to play dirty to win, you are not a winner. Docket should be heavily fined, if not suspended for the year, and Bidwell should th8ink hard about his next contract. A Cardinals fan.