Beisel comes back, Byrd cut

Posted by Darren Urban on November 24, 2009 – 1:59 pm

Searching for depth at linebacker – especially after Gerald Hayes and Chike Okeafor missing games with back problems and having the inexperienced Reggie Walker and Ali Highsmith on the roster – the Cardinals brought back veteran Monty Beisel today. The Cards wanted Beisel when his contract expired after last season , but Beisel instead followed Todd Haley to Kansas City. Then Beisel was cut after just three games and has been searching for a job since. He had been in contact with the Cardinals in an attempt to come back since then.

To make room on the roster, the Cards decided they couldn’t hang on to four tight ends any longer. They released Dominique Byrd, who had yet to appear active in a regular-season game this season. With Anthony Becht and Ben Patrick taking hold of the two tight end spots on game day and Stephen Spach a more accomplished blocker than Byrd, Byrd was the odd man out.

The Cardinals also brought back a couple of familiar faces to the practice squad: linebacker Pago Togafau and defensive end Jason Banks. Both Banks and Togafau were injured during training camp and eventually received injury settlements. They take the place of FB Jed Collins and DT Antoine Holmes, who were released from the practice squad.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Beisel comes back, Byrd cut”

1. By James Sancto on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

Great news! I just adore Monty Beisel because of that infamous blocked punt TD against Dallas last year.

2. By Mike"Pay Q" on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

Darren, Whatever happenned top Michael Ray Garvin, did anyone sign him?

3. By feather on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

Beisel,that makes sense without any higher profile linebackers out there this late in the season. No offense to Dansby but, I dont see him being here next year. Walker looks goods in some situations and on special teams, but highsmith missed some one on one open field tackles that led to big gains. Rolle picked up alot of the clean work when highsmith was in the game. Any news or stories on A-Dub closing in on reaching the 20-20 club. If im not mistaken he needs only one more sack? Wouldn’t that be nice if it was at home against #4?

4. By darrenurban on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

Mike —

No. I think Garvin is still recovering from knee surgery.

5. By chris miles on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

gahhh its like waiting for christmas to see how warner is doing gahhhhhh

6. By Trips Right on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

Darren –

Off topic, but any news on Warner’s test that were supposed to happen today?

Great job as always, keep it up!

Go Cards!

7. By Rob Young on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

Darren,Thanks for the great job you do. Do you think Byrd will be signed to the practice squad?

8. By Paul on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

Should be fun times with Mawae and Dockett staring down each other Sunday. Two of the so called “most dirty”players in the league.

9. By darrenurban on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

Trips —

As I mentioned elsewhere, we won’t have a good idea of where Kurt is until practice Wednesday.

10. By darrenurban on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

Rob —

Byrd is not practice-squad eligible.

11. By Sean Donlon on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

Monty is a monster, in madden i sign him no matter what team i choose. the guy is a beast. one of my favorite cardinals of all time.

12. By shannon robinson on Nov 25, 2009 | Reply

Welcome back to Beisel the Deisel – a never miss the tackle LB. Another is Pago Togafau – to have him on the Practice Squad is a real surprise as I thought he had too much NFL roster time. Pago fills my wish of another Polyneisian player. He’s not a small linebacker with all his power and never miss attitude. My apologies to Pago, but is he Tongan? Jason Banks is great to have back – it fullfills a dream for him and another good success story for the Cards. The roster is a lot bigger than published and we are lucky not to be bringing in “associate” players like a lot of teams have had to do now with major injuries.
    Other examples of guys on call?: linemen, Melvin Fowler, Carlton Meddar, Elton Brown; FB, Tim Castille, Reagan Maui’a;etc, Don’t get me wrong I prefer who we’ve got – but it’s fascinating to watch the wire.

13. By Bob Christianson on Nov 25, 2009 | Reply

Where would I go to find out about CB Mcfadden(sp). Am I the only person that noticed the Rams game changed when Adams came in???

14. By darrenurban on Nov 25, 2009 | Reply

Bob —

I will be blogging about him and I am sure I will have an injury update in my notebook I will file later today. There is no new news since the game until after practice today (Wednesday).