Warner not playing today UPDATE II

Posted by Darren Urban on November 29, 2009 – 11:08 am

All week, quarterback Kurt Warner said he was feeling better from his concussion but he always added the caveat that his status for Sunday in Tennessee would hinge on how he felt Sunday. Well, we’re at Sunday at it looks like Warner doesn’t feel as well as he did — and now, a few hours before kickoff, his availability is very much in doubt. Some reports have Warner unlikely to play; I was just told the decision would be made much closer to gametime.

UPDATE: I have been told Warner’s status will be determined at the 90-minute mark with inactives. Check back then — 12:35 p.m. Arizona time. But I am hearing he’ll probably sit out. UPDATE II: Kent Somers has Warner’s agent saying Kurt is out.

That said, in the case of a concussion, if Warner is iffy, I don’t see how the Cards play him. Not with so many games to go. We probably won’t know for sure until the Cards take the field on offense. And then, it might be Matt Leinart’s first start since he broke his collarbone in the fifth game of 2007.

Tags: ,

30 Responses to “Warner not playing today UPDATE II”

1. By Kevin on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

Rut roh raggy!! Good luck Matty!

2. By BDMag on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

I will pull for this team either way, but if Warner can’t go… ummm we’re screwed. And yes, I’ll eat crow, and do so happily, if I’m wrong.
    But I’m not.

3. By Jay Martin on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

This is not a good thing. I know Whiz has faith in Leinart, but I think its fairly safe to say that most of the fans don’t share his faith. Lets hope that Leinart can prove me wrong.

4. By PhxRocker on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

If Warner can’t go, then I predict big games from Wells & Hightower….

5. By David on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

I hope Leinart got a few snaps this week in practice.
    What sucks is that now Leinhart is being asked to play with no work on timing, etc. I don’t have lots of confidence that he’s “the Cards quarterback of the future” anyway. They should have made this decision days ago. I just hope Lienart got a snp or two during practice this week.

I think we’re screwed! Draft a QB or develop St. Pierre(?).

6. By CardsFan08 on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

Well I hope they use caution so he’s 100% next week. Warner’s too important to lose for the year if something else happens. Also, hopefully Leinart had more practice with the #1’s so he’ll be better prepared to play this week.

Get well Kurt, and good luck Cards!

7. By Bob on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

If Warner is out. Tenn will stack the line which will force Matty to throw.

8. By Julie on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

Kurt Warner’s health and future are far too important to risk. If he isn’t absolutely 100%, he should sit.

9. By HD on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

I think Matt will do just fine, needs to get hurried and knocked down a few times and get into the flow of the game, much like my other favorite lefty Kenny “THE SNAKE” Stabler. GO MATT

10. By Javier Montoya on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

LETS GO MATT!! STEP UP BABY!! YOU GOT THIS!! ITS IN YOU TO PLAY BIG!!
    CARDINALS FOOTBALL!!

11. By s.goldrick-ireland on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

I think it is a good idea to sit warner…imagine he takes another bad hit today and has to sit out against the vikings and maby more?!…whatever chance matt has against the titans, against the vikings our chances of a win go wayyy down!!…we need to look towards the post-season now (feels weird saying that as a cards fan) so our biggest concern should be getting kurt back to 110% as soon as possible…and if that means sitting out against the titans i have no problem with it!!…and besides…matt needs the playing time!…i know alot of fans have already given up on him but he’s never gotten his chance since the collarbone injury and this is it!!…good luck matt!! GO CARDS!!

12. By Larry on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

I think it’s a smart idea to rest Warner one more week. Although each game is important, this one game will not, the season make.

Time to see what Leinart can do. No excuses. they’ve been preparing for this during the week. Look for a big game from Hightower & Wells.

13. By Jacob on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

This is not good. Hopefully they saw this coming and Leinert was able to practice with the starting offense rather than the fakes he normally has to practice with. If he practiced with Warner, Boldin, Hightower, and Wells, I think he’ll have a chance to pull through. He isn’t a bad quarterback, I think he just needs to practice with the first string guys and Warner always has them. If he got to practice with them over this week, I think we’ll be in the clear. He’ll be ready for them and their ability to actually carry out a pattern.

14. By Secret on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

good thing we have runningbacks! the running game will help leinart very much.

15. By Jose on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

I pretty much have no faith in Leinart. If he doesn’t have a decent outing, even given his limited playing/practice time, this fool is done in my book.

I won’t hold my breathe.

16. By Nox PHX on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

Ouch! Hope this doesn’t affect us to much! It’s time for Matt to step up :) Can’t wait to see how this turns out!

17. By chris on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

dude insted of slamming him down we cheer for him l…..you lost all faith for him what kind of fan are you get off the band wagon if you think that ………and of course they ran drills with him inase warner wouldnt play they be stupid if they didnt

18. By Justin on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

How did they not give Leinart more snaps with the first team this week? Whiz should’ve been more prepared for this to happen. Urban has reported that Warner took all the normal snaps and I think that is a mistake. Leinart obviously needs time with the first team to establish some chemistry.

19. By Robert on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

Glad Wiz doing the right thing not playing Kurt, Yall need to understand about Matt, He has been idle for a long time now. Would like to see him throw with a lot more authority instead of his arcing and telegraphing his passes. He has the know how just needs to bring that fire out of him. PS Josie He will do just fine. YOU GOTTO BELIEVE. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CARDS………

20. By Janice Jones on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

I hate reading all of the negative comments about Matt. How soon we forget the pathetic excuse for an offensive line that we had when Matt played and was injured.
    I just hope that Kurt’s insistence that he would play did not mean that Matt again got limited snaps. I hope the offensive coordinator turns Matt loose so he can show what0he’s got instead of the sappy plays they gave him last week. Go Matt and GO Cards, I have faith in you!

21. By PWalker on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

Matt is a good QB, but really rusty. If the Cards don’t win don’t blame it on him. I hope the game stays close so he has a chance to shake some of the rust off. Good Luck Matt! Go Cards.

22. By paco on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kurt i need U 4 my fantasy :(

23. By Kasdan on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

I think it’s very smart to sit Warner looking forward to the vikings game and playoffs. With that said, WE ARE SCREWED for this game!! Leinart is TERRIBLE and just does not work well with this offense. We need to draft a new QB and trade off Leinart. Just my 2 cents.

24. By Joe-B on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

Good luck Matt!

25. By JMill on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

ITS TIME TO STEP UP MATT!!!

26. By Paddy on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

The big picture here is the season. We are sitting ahead the division with a gap large enough to take whatever comes of Leinart’s start(s).But we can’t just accept and go off with a “WE ARE GOING TO LOSE” mindset. We need Warner back to Warner and nothing less. We will take the good with the bad and make the most we can of it. Anything can happen at anytime, this is why we are still fans. This is our time….GO CARDS!!!!!

27. By KevinMSoto on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

Just like many great QB’s Matt had had time to study on the sideline now its time for him to use his knowledge. Plus the titans the the worst pass defense so he should do great and we’ll see the Matt that we saw in preseason vs the packers. He had 4 tds in the 2nd half that game.

28. By Jim on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

I moved to Flagstaff 3 years ago, and I’ve been an avid Cards fan and season tickets holder since then. Since I live in Flagstaff, I’ve been able to closely watch Leinart in training camp. To be completely honest, he does not have the arm strength to be a quality, starting QB in the NFL. I don’t think being critical of Leinart makes you a bad fan. It’s just realistic. Trust me, there’s nothing more that I would like to see than Leinart replicate the success that he had at the college level. This game against the Titans is huge, not only for momentum, but because the Cards could realistically lose the next two games and the 49ers have a good chance of winning the next two games (Jags/Seahawks). If this happens, the Cards enter the 49ers game needing a must win to maintain their lead in the division. This game could make or break the Cards season.

29. By dan phillips on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

Folks Matt will lose this game ,the guy last chance to show his lack of QB talent .
    Very upset with Warner did not go ,come on Kurt I love you but did the wife talk you out of it.
    You were fine all week long.

Next week is a huge game and this loss will weigh heavy on this Cardinal Teams.

30. By dan phillips on Nov 29, 2009 | Reply

One last comment Kurt Warner again Love you Huge I purchased a Laservue tv 7000 and the NFL package 300 to watch you play from mu Home In St.Louis MO.

At Least Kurt dress for the Game and have the option to play us into a win .

Kurt Warner is One of the Best QB ever to play the game !!! Play while you still in the game.