• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Day-after Whiz

Posted by Darren Urban on November 30, 2009 – 11:32 am

Nothing earth-shattering from coach Ken Whisenhunt’s day-after press conference. Kurt Warner will continue to be monitored day-to-day, but short of Warner coming and proclaiming himself “perfect” (that’s been his go-to phrase, that he “doesn’t feel perfect”) I think the Cards will be in the same position at quarterback this week as last. It’ll be sorted more out by Wednesday.

RB Tim Hightower is nursing a thumb injury, and both T Mike Gandy (pelvis) and LB Karlos Dansby (shoulder) left the game Sunday because they aggravated existing conditions.

In the meantime, Whiz wants to look forward to playing the Vikings on “Sunday Night Football,” emphasizing he’s still happy having a two-game division lead with five to play.

“That’s really the story,” Whisenhunt said. “Where we are the next five weeks.”

Tags: , , , ,

30 Responses to “Day-after Whiz”

1. By WHC on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

I am always excited to hear that Whisenhunt keeps everything in perspective. yes we lost a close game, but the focus is on making the playoffs and repeating the super bowl appearance…. 9-7 last year lead to the superbowl…

2. By Big Red on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Wow . . . really pivitol games coming up. Vikes then 49ers. It sure would be nice to take down Favre and the Vikes at home as a confidence builder, and be a couple games up on Frisco when we go there. It would be less than ideal to need a win at S.F. to stay atop the division . . . .

3. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Coach Whiz is right, “Where we are the next five weeks” is the story with the penultimate story being where the team is after the final week of play.

Unfortunately for Coach Whiz, the inability of the Cards to close out the Tennessee game will also have an effect on where the Cardinals stand five weeks from now, and what that standing will have earned them when the playoffs begin. There is no denying that or the opportunity lost on Sunday.

It will be very interesting to see how well Coach Whiz and his staff prepare and motivate their players this week. Here’s hoping they proved successful in that challenge with what would be a Vikings win that would be just as shocking as any during last year’s playoff run!

RISE UP CARDINALS!!!

RISE UP RED SEA!!!

4. By Forever Red on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Yeah,waiting for Warner’s “perfect” day worked well for us yesterday. Whiz should let Warner know that if he isn’t ” perfect” by Wed that Leinart is going to start and give Leinart all the reps with the 1s in practice. We will probably not beat the Viikings with Warner ,have only about a 10% chance with a fully prepared Leinart , but a zero chance if Warner continues to get all the practice reps and Leinart limited reps and then starts because Warner is not yet ” perfect.”

PS I wonder how many other of Warners’ teammates feel perfect at this point in the season. If perfect is the criteria for playing we may as well forfeit our remaining five games.

5. By bp on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

hey forever red you are an idiot talking about warner like that. It is brain trauma we are talking about. Warner is the same player that started every game two years ago after having ligaments shreaded in his left elbow against Carolina. How quick fans bash players is amazing to me. These guys put themselevs on the line all the time

6. By Vanimal on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

OAF is correct about the significance of this loss regarding the standings at the end of the season. The Cards could easily go 9-7 and lose the division to the 49ers. AZ has 3 difficult games (Vikings, 49ers, Packers) on there schedule and the 49ers only have 2 (Cardinals, Eagles). Could get ugly fast.

7. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

As much as Coach Whiz can irritate me as a fan, I must say that if I were a player, I think I would enjoy playing for him. Whiz’s approach will certainly be a good fit with players who’s motivation to win/be successful comes from within and not from their coaches.

The team’s ability to find and sign such character players, even if they aren’t the best athletes is going to be critical for success under Whiz. Drive, desire, passion, and wits can make up for lack of high-end speed or power. And that’s why I’m so impressed when listening to Beanie Wells — he posses the hunger and the physical skills. Beanie should thrive with Whiz, not unlike other always-hungry, never satisfied Cards Boldin and Fitzgerald.

8. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I think Calais Campbell’s personal attitude to the game also makes him a great character match for Whiz’s style of coaching. Like listening to Beanie talk, it’s hard not to come away impressed when I hear Calais speak about achieving success. Time will tell, but there’s just a gut feeling that I have about Beanie and Calais that makes me think they will have great careers if they can avoid serious injury.

9. By Vanimal on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

I forgot to add to my previous post how impressed I was with Matt Leinart’s performance in lieu of the fact that he was dealing with a game day decision on his start. It was nice to see his confidence grow as the second half of the game was playing out. Good effort while playing a hot team in their stadium. Too bad the defense couldn’t keep the Titans from driving 98 yards in the final two minutes. Matt deserved a win.

10. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I was replaying the last play, try taking a look at the right tackle (76) on Campbell (I believe it was him), sure seems like a hold that wasn’t called?
    It was close and it wont matter now anyway but I thought it was worth another look?

11. By darrenurban on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Kauai –

There may or may not have been a hold, but it’s really a moot point today. Honestly, I try and stay away from the referee angle, unless it’s blatant, and most of the time, those things can go either way.

12. By Matt on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

on the last play you can hear the ref saying “don’t hold, don’t hold” but no holding was called. That to me is ridiculous.

13. By darrenurban on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Matt –

Haven’t seen the tape, but that is disappointing. Then again, Sando wrote today that officiating crew calls few holding penalties, so maybe it isn’t surprising.

14. By Joe on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

OAF — Just as much as Whiz irritates you, I think the guy is brilliant. His evenhanded, steady temperment is exactly what this team needs. You think he has trouble motivating players? Get serious. This coach took the Cardinals to the Super Bowl in his second year.
    How long have you been a fan? I’ve rooted for the Cards since the 1960′s and do you know how many winning seasons we’ve had in all that time?
    Whiz is a great head coach in every respect.

15. By Connor on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Lots of questions for Madden with the Cardinals Depth Chart…

Where does Dockett play, I’ve seen him slide inside and Berry play DE alot lately?

Who is the starting DT, Watson seems to have gotten alot more snaps as of late?

16. By darrenurban on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Connor –

Always important to have the Madden lineup right. I don’t get to play as much as I once did, but trust me, I get it.

The Cardinals mostly play a 3-4. Dockett, most of the time, is the RDE. If you consider the ROLB (Berry, Okeafor) a DE, then Dockett is a DT. But Berry and Okeafor mostly stand up, making them LBs. Dockett does move around at times, however. Technically, Robinson is the starting NT, but he and Watson rotate pretty freely.

17. By Howard on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

This is the moment of truth… Hold off Minnesota or accept the pressure of playing for the West on the following Monday in SF. Whisenhunt is worth every penny (Grimm too). I have confidence that he will have the team prepared to positively respond to the current turmoil. If they can take care of Favre (he is in my opinion still a 5 INT game away at anytime).

18. By Ross on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Any discussion of the Hightower injury, i.e. did Whiz elaborate at all? I didn’t hear anything in the conference aside from the brief mention.

Thanks.

19. By Former Steeler Fan on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

My prediction: Whiz will let Kurt take almost all of the snaps, then start Matt when Kurt says that he’s not perfect (even though the Cards couldn’t beat the Vikes with Kurt playing the entire game).

20. By Matt on Nov 30, 2009 | Reply

Darren

Watch the NFL.com “cant miss plays” and it has the fox audio on it. you will hear it and probably feel sick to your stomach like I did.

21. By scott on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

darren;

when will we get an update on kurt’s visit to the eye doctor? i’m worried about a possible retinal detachment.

22. By Darthcard on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

This game made me sick. I’m so mad I’ve shut it down for the season. Matt played well but is that really a surprise? The defense was laid out to dry. I thought this year was different. It’s not. The cards will crumble like they did in this game and let the 49ers (excitement level of a turtle) win this embaressment of a division. Call me whatever you want but I’d rather not watch the az murphys law team.

23. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Joe,

Read my last post in the “Titans Aftermath” thread. I’ve been a fan since the age of six (1976), and am a big Whiz fan. Given the amount of emotional investment I’ve made in this franchise (and it’s merchandise) over the past 3+ decades, I do feel I have the right to be constructive in my criticism of certain, “Whizisms”. The bottom line is that whatever his approach, all that matters are his results for which I’m very thankful and grateful.

24. By darrenurban on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Ross –

No, but I don’t anticipate it being a big problem.

25. By darrenurban on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Scott –

I would doubt it’s that serious. But my guess is, while I will try to see what’s up today, I doubt we’ll get any kind of update until after practice Wednesday.

26. By Joe on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

OAF-
    Yeah, no worries, friend, I can tell youre a reasonable guy. But I am a long suffering Cards fan, so I do get a little defensive when folks rag on Whiz. I recall the 4-12 seasons, the year that SF went 2-14 and their only two victories were against us, Buddy Ryan who dealt all our good players (didnt he cut Rickie Prowl?), and on and on…
    This titans game has people losing perspective. Werent the titans 13-3 last year? They are a hot team on a roll at home, and they still needed a lot of luck, some bad calls, 3 fourth downs, and a last second gasp to beat us playing with our back-up quarterback who (understandably) needed the whole first half to shake off the rust cuz he didnt get the reps all week.
    I think that glass has got plenty of water in it.
    And I think the Vikes would be mistaken to mark down a W just yet, too.

27. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

Joe, OAF
    We are all on the same side! We have enough Card bashers out there!
    Whiz is a great coach! Only Coach to take us to the Superbowl !!! I remember suffering through years with coaches like Gene Stallings, Jim Hanifan Joe Bugel, Buddy Ryan and on and on. I know I am grateful of where this organization has come from till now. Dont get me wrong they may not have been bad coaches, they didnt have the talent either.
    As long as I can remember we have never had a more complete team as we do now on every phase, offense, defense and special teams as well as the coaching. We were always missing pieces of the puzzle, I know this team is not perfect but from years past at this point of the season
    you would be wondering who would we be drafting ( Top 5).
    Now lets go and beat the Vikings!
    GO CARDS!!!!

28. By AZCardsWIn on Dec 1, 2009 | Reply

A few years ago Leinart torched the Vikings defense in Minnesota. Not sure how many of those defenders are still there but I have faith in Matt! Lets let Kurt rest one more game and be 100% for the 49ers Monday Night Game.

~Tim in NJ

29. By georgiebird on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

For us Cardinals Fan’s it all boils down to the SF game

Win Vs SF and win the division
    Lose to SF and possibly lose the division and what do we expect losing to SF twice.

So while the rest of the games have some meaning, the Cards have to point to SF with a healthy Warner. Then it’s St Lou Detroit and GB- may only have to win one.

30. By PhxRocker on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

I’m gonna be a big Seahawks fan for this weekend only.