Warner, Leinart split reps 50/50

Posted by Darren Urban on December 2, 2009 – 1:40 pm

Quarterbacks Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart split practice reps in half today, coach Ken Whisenhunt said, as Warner tries to come back from his concussion. Warner said he’s feeling better and the “fogginess” he was experienced is gone. Everything was fine with his eyes after his doctor appointment Monday. But Warner continued to take the “day-to-day” tact, saying he plans to play but he didn’t want to make any definitive statements.

LT Mike Gandy (pelvis) also missed practice, as Jeremy Bridges continues to work in his place. LB Karlos Dansby was limited, with Dansby saying he has hurt both shoulders and he simply will have to play through it.

Tags: , , , ,

28 Responses to “Warner, Leinart split reps 50/50”

1. By Tyler on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Man we could really use Warner! I hope he plays!

2. By newtman on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Great news!!!

3. By GEORGE on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

WHEN WARNER IS ON HIS GAME HE CAN BEAT ANY TEAM, I THINK WARNER IS THE BEST CHANCE AGAINST THE VIKINGS

4. By Joe-B on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

GREAT NEWS!

5. By Jovy on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

I want Warner to play soooo much. But my get says he’s not going to. I think Leinart should get the remaining snaps.

6. By K-DUB on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Matt has my confindance but, this is a game for Warner. Also, come on A-DUB lay Favre out and get your 20!

7. By Eazy E on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

I know that is great news, looking forward to kurt starting again. The pelvis injury really is nagging to gandy, but I fully believe in bridges, he did a good job against tennessee when he came in, I like him better overall than Levi and Gandy, more versatile and just better. Unfortunate injury for Los, both shoulders dinged, but he has to play because we need one of our best players on the d and on the team down the stretch.

8. By JP on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Darren:
    thanks for the info.
    Do you know how there are many schools of thought with respect to health care (ie. conventional MD vs. acupuncture vs. chiropractic vs. natural pathic etc…) I often wonder how much NFL teams or specifically the Cards tap into different approaches to health or is this up to the individual player’s judgement?
    Remember Q went down to get adjusted by a chiropractor in Texas for his hamstring issues last year in the playoffs and he came back saying he was all better?
    I’m thinking of this b/c having seen the hit Warner took…it didn’t screem concussion to me but looked pretty rough on his neck.
    I’m just curious about how some guys get hooked up with Mr. miracle chiropractor guy and other players go to see the neurologist.
    Glad to hear Kurt feels better…I just wonder if he doesn’t need a regular schedule of chiropractic treatment….that goes for any contact sports athlete.

thanks again,
    JP
    (I’m not a chiropractor…just hoping there is open mindedness about alternative treatments for the players)

9. By darrenurban on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

JP —

If a player wants to go to a chiropractor, he has the right to do so. I don’t know if Kurt wants to, but he could. Warner says his neck is OK now.

10. By steve on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

i actually would like to see leinert get more reps in practice cuz after watching the game last sunday…it did look like the longer he was in there the more comfortable he looked…this fan has had reservations about leinert but i am more hopefull now than before for when warner does retire…i think the cards will be just fine with leinert..for years to come…now boldin is a whole ‘nother story…still hopefull but….

11. By Barbara wurzbach on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

I really want to win this game and a healthy Warner gives us the best chance. Not taking anything from leinert. Warner is the starter for a reason. Mad at ticket holders selling out to Viking fans. We must be loud as we don’t want this to be a home game for Vikings. Be loud real card fans!!!

12. By chris on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

umm that is great news. for sure kurt gives is the best chance at beating the vikings, im sorry but I don’t trust hollywood!

13. By Robert Baugh on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

i hope warner plays. I mean think about it. Since he has been out the team has only scored 1 touchdown, and 1 field goal in a game an half. Matt may not make a lot of mistakes, but they can’t seem to sustain drives and score points with out warner. 10 points wont win a game in the NFL let alone a game and a half.

14. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

I think Kurt gives the Cards the best chance against the Vikings, but realistically, I still don’t think that will be enough. Kurt isn’t the one who is going to have to stop Adrian Peterson, Brett Favre, Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, and company.

Given that angle, I’d like to see Matt get the start. Odds will be long, but anything can happen on any given Sunday. Can you imagine the confidence boost Matt would get if he keeps the game close or can lead the team to a win? How valuable would that experience and confidence be for the rest of the season now that Kurt’s condition can vary day-to-day?

The way the Vikings are playing, the Cardinals are going to need a miracle to win. So why not shoot for a major miracle – a win for Matt? Kurt then gets one more week of rest heading into a tough, but very winnable game against San Francisco – with the worst-case scenario being that the Cards still control their destiny after a Vikings loss, and still lead the 49ers by one game with four left to play.

15. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Being an MMA promoter here in Hawaii I can give a little perspective on how we deal with concussions ( KO’s). There is usually a 30 day ” no fight” period.
    Granted football has helmets and your opponent isn’t trying to knock your block off with fists and kicks to the head but regardless of how you get hit in the head you have to make sure the athlete is properly cleared before getting back in.

Darren do you know of any minimum or mandatory “waiting period” implemented as of yet dealing with concussions? Or is that one of the guidelines the NFL is working on right now?

16. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Actually looks like the NFL just started:

17. By darrenurban on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

Kauai —

There is no set time frame, in part because most believe each concussion is different. The league did put into effect today a rule that says a player with a concussion “should not” go back in that day.

18. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

As always thanks for your insights Darren, Funny the NFL has only now started to address this issue? Concussions has been part of the game since its inception and now all of a sudden its like breaking news???
    I’m glad the NFL has finally gotten on board but seems kind of odd to be this far behind on this certain issue?

Maybe it was the false concept that having a helmet on that it should prevent you from having any head injuries? I remember that popular Australian Rugby player back in the 80’s making fun of the American football players saying that you could drop an American Football Player out of a plane and they would not get hurt cause they had so much equipment on compared to the Australian Players:)

We should ask Ben Graham on his take of Australian football vs American football ??

19. By tom manoogian on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

–i know this is about the matt and kurt,but damn,last drive in super bowl,our d was playing way to soft,cost us the superbowl.last drive against the titans,i mean,what,99 yards,3 4th down coversions.you can’t play that soft,we let them catch 10 -15 yard passes and were so far off coverage,we can’t even get close enough to them to keep them from going out of bounds.i really believe next time in that situation,play face to face,if we get burned,hell ,at least we would get the ball back.we are to soft a defense,offense is not the problem,our defense is SOFT,any way you spell it ,it comes up SOFT.if the field was 500 yards long,then yes,game saving drive,play soft,but it is a 100 yards,if we pressure one of those 4th down plays,incomplete,our ball ,our game.cards fan over 40 years,i’m not bashing,heck i died through many seasons when we were terrible,were not going to win every game,but these last drives to win games on defense,terrible,put some pressure,one smart blitz,one big play,game over,we don’t even blitz smart,use some sort of surprise,like i said if you get burned,at least time would be left to get the ball back.anyone who thinks we have a kick a– defense is sadly mistaken,we can’t tackle every other game,offense is forced to try and score points so defense can give up a td on final drive and we still win,not really fair for offense.

20. By Aaron Lone-Eagle on Dec 2, 2009 | Reply

How are you doing. First time writer. Give me your personal opinion. Why are the Cardinals going away fronm their strength. Q, Fitz, and Steve? I understand that we need to get a running game going and i thouroughly respect that, But we are not utilizind our biggest weapons. Our running game will come through persistance. We could have really used those weapons on Sunday in Tennessee. I felt the offense was too conservative. It was almost as if they were not playing to win but rather playing not to lose.Even a fileld goal would have sent them to overtime or forced a 2 poin t conversion. Also I habve been watching avidly this year. Our defense is good but the secondary is not great. they need to play alot tighter. The N.F.L. has given the defense 5 yards to be physical. D.R.C. and McFadden need to start using those 5 yards. Get in the recievers faces, soon you will be in thier heads. As for our offensive line. Everyone keeps talking about how great it is, Gandy and Brown are entirely too inconsistant and because of that Warner got a concousion, Enough said on that matter. I now believe Lienart is going to be a good Quarterback, but we need Warner to finoish the season if there is any hope of another Superbowl! Hope to hear from you Darren and also if you get a chance to talk to Kurt, tell him that me and my family are praying for his quick recovery and for his family as well, and tell him I said thank you for everything and God Bless!

21. By Connor on Dec 3, 2009 | Reply

Hey Darren what are Mike Gandy’s chances of playing this sunday?

22. By darrenurban on Dec 3, 2009 | Reply

Connor —

We’ll see. He’s pretty banged up, but he missed practice time last week and still started. With a veteran like him, I don’t think you can know this early what his status will be.

23. By darrenurban on Dec 3, 2009 | Reply

Aaron —

I don’t think they have gone away from those receivers necessarily. When Warner is out and Leinart is in, the offense is going to look and operate differently. Besides, the running game has been pretty effective. Even in Tennessee, Hightower averaged more than 5 yards a carry.

24. By TucsonTim on Dec 3, 2009 | Reply

Considering that there is an excellent chance that we will play the Vikings again in January, I don’t see any reason at all for Warner to play on Sunday. Why take the chance. We know that he is a warrior, he doesn’t have to prove to anyone how tuff he is. Just get healthy. If we can’t run the table with the remainder of our schedule we don’t deserve to be in the playoffs anyway.

This week’s game means nothing in terms of the playoffs. Not seeing Warner and our first team offense may actually give us an edge in a future meeting. If we have a game plan to beat the Vikings, save it for January.

25. By darrenurban on Dec 3, 2009 | Reply

Tucson —

If the Cardinals lose and the 49ers win, that means a 49ers win next week would put them in first place in the division. I don’t think you can say this week’s game means nothing in terms of the playoffs.

26. By TucsonTim on Dec 3, 2009 | Reply

If we can’t beat the 49ers we don’t deserve to win the division. What I mean is that it isn’t going to change who or where we play in the playoffs

27. By Mike on Dec 4, 2009 | Reply

Give him a break Darren, he’s from Tucson.

2. Dec 2, 2009: Vikings Blog