Whiz says Warner should be OK UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on December 7, 2009 – 11:32 am

The only injury of note coming out of the Vikings game, coach Ken Whisenhunt said, was the hip pointer quarterback Kurt Warner suffered on his final pass attempt of the night. Warner was limping after the game, but Whisenhunt said Warner was moving around well Monday morning and it “probably won’t be an issue.” Because the Cards have a Monday night game next week, they have an extra day off, which also helps.

UPDATE: Warner speaks. “It actually feels good today,” Warner said. “It was sore last night, we were able to get some medicine in it last night and work up today and it was a lot better. I was able to lift and do some cardio. It felt a lot better than I thought it was going to be. We’ll be fine.”

Whisenhunt said the return of LT Mike Gandy was still unknown. Until Gandy can practice, Whisenhunt said, he isn’t sure if and when the veteran can return, although Gandy could return this week. That said, Jeremy Bridges was impressive in Gandy’s place. Gandy said he was feeling OK and hoped to return to practice.

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “Whiz says Warner should be OK UPDATE”

1. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Hi Darren,

It sounded like the Cards stayed in a hotel Saturday night, even though they had a home game. Has that been standard operating procedure since Coach Whiz was hired? I was surprised to hear that, but it makes very good sense to get the team focused. Do other NFL teams follow the same procedure?

Thanks for all your writings! Living up in Wisconsin, the website is a great way to keep up with the team. Back in the 70s, it wasn’t quite that easy following the Cards while living in the Frozen Tundra.

2. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

As well as Jeremy played last night, let Gandy get fully recovered, no sense throwing him in sooner, still got a lot of football left and we need everyone healthy in the end.
    Again it comes down to Depth in the positions! Could have been devastating if
    we didn’t have a person to step up when Gandy went down.

Great team win!!!

Now lets clinch the Division next week !!!

3. By LUKE on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

PROPS TO BRIDGES!!GREAT JOB!!

4. By darrenurban on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Ottis —

Yes, going to a hotel even for home games is SOP for the Cards for a while. Many teams around the NFL do it.

5. By Big Red on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Bridges was fabulous – holding off arguable the best D End in football. Of course he had help, but the scheme in general certainly works for the team. Let Gandy rest up and let’s see what Bridges has got. I see a position battle brewing.

Also, props to utilization of the RB’s. Great to see these guys making big plays, and great blocks to protect Kurt. An all around great effort.

6. By DanenKane on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Hey Otis Anderson Fan!

I am also a huge Cardinals fan up in WI ! Life long! Haha I thought I was the only one.
    I love Gandy. He did an amazing job for us last year. And except for the SB he was incredible in the playoffs. He man handled John Abraham (Falcons) Julius Peppers (Panthers) and if I remember correctly played stellar against the Eagles as well.
    Which leads me to believe he has been hurt all year. I think I can remember him getting run over only a few times all last year (mostly in the SB). And this year he has been bull rushed and thrown around multiple times a game, every game. I just have to believe there is something wrong.
    That being said Bridges is doing awesome. He did a great job on Vanden Bosh the week before as well. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Let Gandy heal and if we need him later we can put him back in when his body is up to par.

7. By will on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Hey Darren,

So does every team member stay in a hotel Saturday night? I think I remember reading on Larry’s twitter that he was at home with marcus and the family.

-Will

8. By EK on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I would like to watch the post game interview of Whisenhunt in full.

I remember watching those and his after practice pressers last year. Is it on this site and I am just not looking in the right place?

Thanks

9. By darrenurban on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Will —

Usually, it works like a road game, which is to say they have to be there for meetings and to meet curfew, but they can still go out on a Saturday night (which, locally, means you could hang at home for a while).

10. By darrenurban on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

EK —

Unfortunately, the technology is such that — at least at this point — it’s too time consuming to post Whiz’s entire postgame presser in a timely fashion. But it is something we are working on to change if possible. We never posted entire post-practice pressers. We had different packages we did. That system will all be reviewed in the offseason.

11. By EK on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

thanks darren

12. By Eazy E on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Yeah, let Gandy rest and get fully healed. Bridges did have help, but who’s not gonna get help against Jared Allen. He had a great game. Glad Warner is good.

13. By chris on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

sucks about ej henderson tho broken leg and out for there season ,,,,it was so awseme seeing allen trying so hard ha and he didnt get to do his little arm thing when ever he gets a sack bwhahaha ohh i love the trashtalk after boldin made that catch

one other thing boldins catch was it one handed or two because i saw him running it with the one hand but we thought it was just catch and tackle but the repays were to fast and when in slow mo it was blurry does anyone know haha

14. By will on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Darren-

Marcus also said that larry woke him up in the morning on his twitter. Is fitz getting special treament?

-will

15. By darrenurban on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Will —

Good question. But Larry could’ve called him to wake him up, or texted him. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

16. By Matt on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

whats the update darren?

17. By darrenurban on Dec 7, 2009 | Reply

Matt —

I just added in the Warner quotes. Sorry for the confusion.

18. By Brady on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

The way Bridges played, does anyone think he should be given the nod for this week and possibly the rest of the way? I know he had some help with going against Allen but he also had no penalties which Gandy is known for. Just a thought I had and wondering what others think.

19. By Paul on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

from the games I’ve seen televised Bridges looks to be a better pass protector than Gandy and less penalty prone. I would like to see him stay in the lineup. But it did look like most of the Cards longer runs went to the right side…I would rather have good pass protection for Kurt than good run blocking.
    Darren do you know how many sacks Gandy has given up this year and how many penalties he’s had?

20. By darrenurban on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

Paul —

I’d have to look that up, but as of right now, I don’t know. I will try to get that information.

21. By TucsonTim on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

Paul Brown was the originator of the home team staying together the night before playing.

22. By Followed Whiz to AZ on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

From one Cardinals fan to many others: After the Vikes game, I discovered a delicacy that many of us can enjoy; CROW!!! (My comment before the game; “The Cards have two chances to beat the Vikings. Slim and none and Slim just left town”). Just liberally splash Tabasco sauce, salsa, mayo, ketchup, A-1 sauce and mustard on the crow and it tastes delicious.

The players played extremely well, but let’s give credit, especially to Russ Grimm, Bill Davis, Kevin Spencer and Whiz. They devised a great game plan and have continually improved the players.

Also, let’s remember when we celebrate that Adrian Peterson was held to 19 yards, that the Vikes were without a few of their starting O-linemen.

Oh yes. Does anyone think that some Steeler fans wish that Whiz was their coach?