• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

The lament of St. Pierre

Posted by Darren Urban on December 9, 2009 – 7:01 am

Many days, Brian St. Pierre emerges from the training room and, when he changes, you can see a giant red patch across his lower back. It’s a tangible reminder to what he’s going through.

The Cardinals’ quarterbacks have been in focus of late. Kurt Warner and his concussion. Matt Leinart and his chance to start. But St. Pierre has his own storylines. He  was going to battle Leinart for the No. 2 QB job in the preseason, but his balky back all but ended that hope before he even played a preseason game. St. Pierre didn’t play well in the preseason, and he said his back was a big reason why. More concerning is that he said the back is still an issue.

“I am worried about it.,” St. Pierre said. “I have played through considerable pain in my life before but this is every day I am trying to fight through it. It’s better than it was in camp but I’m not taking hits either. I am just more disappointed because I couldn’t put my best foot forward in camp and I don’t know if people realized that. I was caught between a rock and a hard place.”

St. Pierre’s future is up in the air. His back could be an issue. More important for the guy who has played in one regular-season game since coming into the league in 2003, St. Pierre wants more of a chance. He’s a free agent again after the season, and, in something of an upset, SI’s Peter King named St. Pierre as one of the intriguing free agents of the upcoming offseason, comparing him to Matt Cassel.

“I wouldn’t even pretend to know about that,” St Pierre said. “I am just tyring to work through practice right now because I am hurting. It was disappointing for me because I felt they might have given me a chance. I don’t know how it will play out but I know I’m tired of being the third quarterback. It’s getting really old. You see some of the people playing (around the league), and it just makes you sick, to be honest.”

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “The lament of St. Pierre”

1. By LUKE on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

well im not sure what back issues he has or why but palko impressed me more.not sure why we gave him up and kept st pierre….

2. By Big Red on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

Agreed. St. Pierre on a bad day puts guys like JaMarcus Russell to shame . . .

3. By Aaron on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

I really liked St. Pierre in 2008 training camp and pre-season. But to come out and play the way he did this year, blame it on a back problem, and then with a month left in the season go on record saying he still has the same issue is not how you gain interest from other teams. At this rate he may not even find a team outside of the Raiders or Chiefs willing to let him be their #3.

4. By John on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

Bring back Palko!

5. By Dave on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

What the heck is wrong with his back Darren? Does he have a herniated disc? Surely he hasn’t had a muscle issue for all these months. He sounds like a Matt Hasselbeck that’s never really played. It’s not exactly brilliant to follow up a Peter King endorsement with this kind of publicity. Even if Peter King is a retard, he may have sparked some interest somewhere.

6. By shannon robinson on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

Brian St. Pierre is an excellent quarterback. The injury he’s sufferring through now is a surprise but it really explains his problems throwing in this year’s pre-season games. I hpoe his back stabliizes – having continuing back pain sounds like a carreer threatening condition. Palko has other problems and is not comparable to Brian. His contract is reasonable. Future is a question now.

7. By Aaron on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

Palko has already signed with Pittsburgh, unless they have released him in the last couple weeks. Neither are our future back ups tho.

8. By Mike"Pay Q" on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

Darren, Any word who will be the guest on Bert’s big red rage? It would be great if it was Q.

9. By Brandon on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

St. Pierre is nice, i like him more than Palko for sure. Hopefully he can heal up he is definitely worth a #2 job somewhere in the league..

10. By kekojones on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

Cards should have kept Palko.. He looked very good here and now is with the Steleers….

11. By Michael Procton on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

Gonna have a hard time getting Palko back. He’s on the Saints’ roster.

12. By kerouac9 on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

Boo hoo, Brian. Give me a break. I know that you have to write SOMETHING during these long weeks when the Cards play on Monday night, Darren, but I have little sympathy for a guy who so clearly flunked out of the quarterback competition during the preseason and now grabs his back like Tonya Harding and her broken shoelace.

13. By darrenurban on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

Mike –

They tried to get Q but he had a conflict. The guest will be Dansby.

14. By Jerry on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

I still have faith in this guy. When he’s active, he’s active on the sideline. he doesn’t just sit around collecting dust. he is learning and trying to help the team. I say the cars keep him and give him another pre-season shot. Considering the time he’s spent with Warner and Leinart, he could be the next matt cassel

15. By TBru on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

Kurt missed a game, what if Matt got hurt too, is St Pierre and his bad back going to be able to step in if called upon? Do we want to use a roster spot for an injured player? Who is the emergency? Q? Rolle?

16. By K-DUB on Dec 10, 2009 | Reply

I always thought that during the preseason it should’ve been Matt Vs Tyler after the first game. but no we kept the INT machine from this preseason. Now Palko’s in Pitt., might as well call him gone.

17. By darrenurban on Dec 10, 2009 | Reply

TBru –

I would think Boldin is the emergency QB. But I don’t think St. Pierre is hurt, per se. I think he is healthy enough to play right now, so I don’t think that’s an issue.

18. By Mandis on Dec 10, 2009 | Reply

You know, I’ve always liked St. Pierre, Just seemed like a nice guy. You know, a lot of you are bringing him down for saying how he feels, but I don’t think it’s how many are seeing it. He just wants to be a good quarterback and things are keeping him back. He doesn’t want people to count him out, and for them to know he’s trying. I really hope this fire burning inside him builds into something he can put out there on the field and show the world. Wasn’t one of the biggest rallying battle cries we’ve had thanks to last season “Shock the world”? Well, I’m hoping this becomes one of those things. Get well soon Brian, I wanna see it happen.