49ers aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on December 15, 2009 – 3:00 am

So if the Cards were sitting there, lamenting for weeks the things they didn’t capitalize upon or messed up in that season-opening 20-16 loss to the 49ers, what are they going to do about Monday night’s whiff knowing they have to gnaw on it until next season?

Ugh. It’s the middle of the night on the charter flight home, and even with a few hours to consider what happened, it’s still difficult to wrap your head around this 24-9 loss. I’ll step to the front of the line asking for a mulligan; I never saw this coming and was very confident the Cards would end up winning the rematch with the Niners. I was wrong. Very, very wrong.

In the big picture, it likely means little. Sure, it could undercut the Cards if they are trying for the No. 3 seed in the NFC but that doesn’t mean a whole lot. They likely weren’t going to have a shot at the No. 2 seed anyway, and make no mistake, the Cards are still going to win the NFC West (maybe next week, when the Cards go to Detroit and the 49ers have to play in Philly).

Still, the what-could-have-been. The 49ers will celebrate their sweep, but the Cardinals will see a team that barely beat them despite major mistakes. Said running back Beanie Wells will equal parts exasperation and disgust, “Seven turnovers and they beat us by two touchdowns. We killed ourselves.”

You’d figure a team with seven turnovers would romp, but if it wasn’t for that last Beanie fumble to set up another TD, the Cards were going to have a shot to tie it, I do believe. What would that have been like (hmmm, a team overcoming major turnovers to win on Monday night … it vaguely rings a bell).

Anyway:

– Here’s a good example of the Cards’ pain: The 49ers scored touchdowns on “drives” of eight and 16 yards, and got a field goal on a “drive” of eight yards. You can’t turn the ball over, but you really can’t turn the ball over to a mediocre offense in position to get easy touchdowns.

– Kurt Warner looked like he was baited into his first interception. On that play, the 49ers had three down linemen and then only rushed two, meaning nine men had dropped into coverage. Yet Warner threw a deep pattern to Steve Breaston soon – as if there was normal pressure on the pocket – and safety Dashon Goldson simply waited back and made an easy pick. The second interception was tough, because Warner thought Anquan Boldin was going to keep going and he instead crashed into defensive back Tarell Brown. Brown could have been flagged for illegal contact, but since he was really going after the ball, he seemed exempt.

– You have to wonder if LT Mike Gandy took a step back with his pelvis injury. He came out early like he did against Tennessee, and it did look like he was having some trouble against the Niner pass rushers. Since Gandy came out, you have to assume it was the injury that was doing him in, but I guess only the coaches know for sure.

– For a grudge match against a bitter rival on national TV, there were sure a lot of empty seats at Candlestick Park.

– If safety Matt Ware is indeed out long-term, that hurts a lot. Ware had been pretty solid on defense and allowed the Cards to do so many other things with Adrian Wilson especially. And rookie Rashad Johnson just doesn’t look ready to step into that role yet.

– DL Darnell Dockett showed some incredible athleticism, not only on the play where he tipped and then made the interception, but when he batted another pass later when Alex Smith caught it himself for a six-yard loss. Dockett showed serious hops . Must be those squats of 400-plus pounds building up his leg muscles.

– The Cards did have a clunker, and as Warner said, “unfortunately we have had  a few of these around here, and that’s the most disappointing part. You keep hoping we are over these games where we are on a big high and play great and then come back and play like we did tonight. It’s disappointing but we still have a lot in front of us.”

– We finish with a little positive then. Beanie Wells was very good, all the way up until his fumble. The Cards tried to come back to Tim Hightower last week after his fumble and it worked, but I am guessing it wasn’t a coincidence that Hightower didn’t have a carry Monday after his fumble (although Beanie was running so well, Whisenhunt may have just been sticking with the hot hand). If I am the Lions next week, I’d be afraid of Beanie. Besides, Beanie always plays well in Michigan.

– Finally, a sigh of relief for the health of Larry Fitzgerald. I’m sure Fitz isn’t feeling great and there’s always a chance he sits out part of practice. But the fact he came back in Monday night is huge, because it means he didn’t blow out his knee. When you consider how terrible the night could have been had Fitz gone down for the season, seven turnovers doesn’t hurt as bad.

Although, yes, it still hurt.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

58 Responses to “49ers aftermath”

1. By Rugbymuffin on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

“I never saw this coming and was very confident the Cards would end up winning the rematch with the Niners. I was wrong. Very, very wrong.”

LOL. You an me both Darren.

“Murphy’s Law” – it happens in the NFL from time to time.

2. By Darthcard on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

As much as it rips my heart out to admit this the 49ers out played the cards period. They had a great game plan. They seemed all game to set the tempo. And as far as the fumbles the 49ers made them happen. Too many times I’ve heard 7 turnover killed us? Well those guys caused them with big hits and great pressure. Too bad for the 49ers though because the division is realistically unattainable for them. At least they could feel good bout themselves as they watch the cards play in the playoffs.

3. By ryan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

The offense sacrificed the defense last night, i felt sooo bad for our D. I don’t know what you do in practice this week coach Whiz but some “holding on to the damn ball” drills would be good.

Its so hard to be a Cards fan, you go to work after the Vikings game and say “see i told ya, the Cards are a great team” then after a freak’n nationally televised game you absolutely stink and now we fans get to hear it from all the nay say’rs. Can we ever be consistent? Ever?

Gandy: If your pelvis hurts then stay on the bench. You cannot keep letting DE’s get to Kurt. I applaud Whiz for taking your butt out of the game and saying you re-injured yourself when lets be honest, he took you out cuz your pathetic.

Whiz: I say start Jason Wright at RB this week, show Timmy and Beanie fumbling the ball will not be tolerated and you will sit if it continues.

Russ Grimm: Whatever it takes, please get our O-line ready to face 3-4 defenses down the stretch this season and into the playoffs. Our guys look like they have no idea who to block in a 3-4 scheme.

4. By Year2remember on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Absolutely embarressing! Discipline, how do four defensive players pursue 2 players and leave a crossing route wide open with ZERO help over the top on the Crabtree TD? Everyone got pumped for the game decided they would have their chance at a “big play” and blew it! The TEAM could’ve had a “Big Play”! Greedy! I’ll bet all that WAY over pursued (on what looked like zone coverage) all thought to themselves “OH BOY HERE COMES MY PICK 6!” and then “Oh wait, what happened? Oh yeah, I was suupose to give undernieth coverage. . .” That would’ve been your big play!

Disappointed!

5. By Big Red on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Just one of those night when EVERY break goes for the other guy. Including the acrobatic velcro-hands ‘incomplete’ pass that Larry reeled in on the 1. In all fairness, several of the ‘fumbles’ were a result of a charged up niners defense.

6. By Ydwor on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Being from Madrid, Spain, I woke up at 2:00 AM to see this game at a 343Kb rate within a 6″ tiny frame.. After each Cards offensive drive wondering: “Do I bear watching this? Or do I get back to the crib?” Untill Beanie fumbled, and I shut down my computer. At 5:48 AM I went back to bed, and in my mind I saw the Cards beating the Niners in overtime 27-24. But at the same time knowing that it never would be the case, made me even more SICK!!

7. By Dean Beckman on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Love your aftermaths, Darren. While the Cards most certainly SHOULD win the division, we need to be careful about being too overconfident. One game at a time. Also, what concerned me most was how the Niners physically beat us up front on both sides of the ball. It looked like they wanted it more and that concerns me this time of year.

8. By Connor on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

So, I guess the question now heading into the postseason(hopefully) is who to start at Left Tackle?

If Bridges plays well Darren throughout the end of Arizona’s season, do you think they re-sign him for next year instead of going OT first round?

9. By David Parra on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

The Arizona Cardinals beat themselves last night. Although watching this game was very disgusting at times you are correct Darren in sayin there are a couple of positives. The defense was great, and if it wasnt for them playing the way they did this would’ve been a bigger blowout. Okay so heres the big picture……… The Arizona Cardinals need to move on from this game, and seek the bigger prize. Because come January no one will care about the 49ers. Hence just do what you guys are supposed to do and it wont matter if San Fran wins out. Lets not count on the Eagles to do our dirty work because in all reality we control our own destiny. And with three games against teams we are supposed to beat I really like The Cardinals odds. Well thats all I have. As always Darren you dropped another gem on them. Have a good day and, GO CARDINALS!!!!! Like the slogan says…… WE DO THIS TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!

10. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

NO TEAM DISCIPLINE = NO TEAM RESPECT

For all the respect and praise the Cards earned last week against the Vikings, they gave it all right back and them some with their seven turnover game against the 49ers (all 24 49ers points coming off of turnovers).

Quite simply, the 49ers are a better head-to-head team than the Cardinals – both on the field and now on paper. There is no disputing that. Own up to it guys.

11. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

The Cards are looking a lot more vulnerable than they were last week at this time, and potential wins over the lowly Lions and Rams the next two weeks aren’t going to change that perception around the NFL. The Cards are again going to be ridiculed by the media heading into the playoffs, which means the Cards have everyone just where they want them for the stretch run. :P

As disgusting as last night’s performance was, there is still the very real opportunity to finish 11-5 if the Cards play up to their potential. Going 11-5 would go far to remove the bitter taste in everyone’s mouth right now. We just got to make sure whoever forgot to bring along the EASY button/switch last night doesn’t forget it next week.

12. By Joe-B on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

What did you think of that catch that was ruled incomplete when Whiz tried to challenge it? I thought that Larry had possession and he was down inside the 5 yard line.

13. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

When the same players repeatedly make the same mistakes over and over again:

Is it the fault of the player to continue to make those mistakes?

or

Is it the fault of the coaching staff to allow those players to keep making the same mistakes (i.e. allowing them to play)?

or

Is it the fault of the coaching staff to fail to correct the same mistakes the players are repeatedly making?

That said, great games by Dockett, Wilson, and to a lesser extent – Wells. A lot of shots of Darnell on the sidelines shaking his head and looking like he wishes he was wearing anything other than a Cards uniform last night

14. By Ronnie Torres on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

hey cards, keep your heads up! you guys are a great football team. and i”ll stand behind u win or lost.

15. By darrenurban on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Connor —

I think there is a good chance they want Bridges next year, even if it’s in a reserve role. But we’re way early to talk draft. We have to see what they do in free agency. As of right now, there are a lot of key pieces that could walk away.

16. By darrenurban on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Joe-B —

I thought it was the right decision to challenge and I wouldn’t have been surprised if it had been overturned into a catch. Realistically though I wasn’t surprised it wasn’t overturned; there was enough doubt there that I didn’t think it was conclusive. Great play by the 49er DB. He had his hand/arm between Larry’s arms; it would have been an unreal play had Fitz been able to keep control.

17. By darrenurban on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Ottis —

I watched Darnell after a turnover, I don’t remember which one of the second half, where he was steaming mad. I don’t know if he was barking at the offense in anger or if he was heatedly yelling encouragement, but he was saying something to those guys.

18. By Jeff Gollin on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

I did see it coming and was extremely nervous about a bunch of Cardinal fans (who should know better) talking too much premature smack and acting as if the playoffs were in the bag.

The Cardinals are not to be trusted – the best you can say is that, when they are good, they can be very very good, but they are also capable of playing as badly as the Lions, Rams or anyone else in the NFL.

What terrifies me is the outside possibility that we will continue our free fall and lose our remaining games (including two gimmes) while SF runs the table. We could go down in history as “the biggest choke team in NFL history.” It would be devestating for Cardinal fans to have the team they love turn out to “be that team.”

19. By Chris on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

I’m still for this team. We had a bad night and the Niners played ok. They did exceptional at stripping the ball. They never went for a tackle, just the ball and it worked. But Darren is right, 7 turnovers and they only lost by 2 TDs? The Niners BARELy beat the Bears who turned it ouver 6 times. That was a tough game to lose but I guess its better than losing to the Rams or Lions. Let this be our last bad game of the year and win-out. At least there wasn’t ONE player who lost the game for us. Everyone had the drops and penelties. Although, I think Gandy needs to rest a while longer. His position is to vital to our success for him to be playing half-strength.
    Lets play like we have nothing to lose! Go Big Red!

20. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Darenn,
    Do they have a back up kicker? His kick offs barely reaches the 30? Luckily he was able to make the FG but he looks like he is in pain? We may want to have some kickers come in this week and rest rackers if possible.
    I was relieved to see Larry back out there, it would have made the game even more painful.
    Now we have to bounce back and take the division!

21. By jack on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Well, that 1st game against the 49ers was a fluke. After all you made it to the super bowl last year. Last night, oops, looks like a 2nd fluke. As a life long 49er fan we now wish the Cardinals well and hope they go on to win the super bowl in Feb. We 49er fans will have a smile on our face and look at each other with a wink and a nod.

22. By Big Red on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

We have some of the best running backs in football, and I love the multi-back scheme that we are using. I especially like how backs were utilized last week . . . It just absolutely BOGGLES me as to why the guys keep dropping the ball and giving up key posessions. Nerves? Solid Defense? Overthinking? What is it!!!!

23. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

For the fumbling problems,
    I have some Martial art techniques to toughen the forearms for impacts, some of it uses bamboo ( start slowly of course). Some grip techniques for the fingers.
    These guys are already tough, we will make them unstoppable :)
    Let me know:)

24. By Tyler on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

It is important to give the DEFENSE credit. They did an amazing job. 7 turnovers and only a 24-9 game is amazing. Great Job D! Keep it up.

25. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

I wonder if anyone at AZCARDINALS.COM could ask Coach Whiz or any of the players this question during media time this week:

“What did you learn about your team/teammates Monday night?”

26. By darrenurban on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Kauai —

That was addressed this morning.

27. By darrenurban on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Ottis —

I will try, but I can already tell you what Whiz would say, because he brought it up today. He was pleased with how they fought and, considering how they melted down most of the night, got in position where one score could tie it and they had the ball with 12 minutes left. I do think that resonates.

28. By Ashamed on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Consider yourself lucky you were able to write that “aftermath” post on the team charter home. If I was the owner or even the coach the team would have been taking a 20 hour bus ride back to the valley.

That was pitiful football undeserving of a charter flight, but right on par with a Single A minor league team traveling by bus.

29. By JustinMoon on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

The guy who wrote this article sounds like a whiner. I know he’s just a little beat writer who never had a chance to play sports like football. But still there should be no whining involved in any capacity involving football. Oh yeah and you made some mistakes too.

-The Cards lost by 15 points which is actually slightly more than 2 touchdowns.
    -I was at the game boy, you say there was quite a few empty seats. Well by the time the game started their wasn’t. Unlike nonexistent Cards fans, us Niner fans are die-hards. Even in a POS stamdium we show up and almost get the sell-out.
    -And finally, the Niners have a better team than the Cards. Even though the Niners had some of the worst luck in losing like 4-5 game by less than 6 points. We still have a chance at the division. Thanks in large part to this complete dismantling against the cruddy Cards.

30. By Ronnie Torres on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

hey, cards defense much respect too you.

31. By nor cal cards fan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Who can Coach Whiz trust and depend on to carry the ball in critical situations and not cough the ball up to the other team? Nobody.It’s pathetic.As a fan, i no longer have any faith in Tim, and rightfully so. Who wants to bet he fumbles in the first quarter of the first round playoff game? He should be deactivated next week to send him a message that it’s not acceptable, and then maybe he’ll learn. We can beat the Lions without him. I know it sounds harsh, but whatever methods were being used before to correct his poor excuse for holding on to the football obviously didn’t work. Anybody else have any suggestions? Besides forearm excersises.

32. By marilyn on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

They should have taken Warner out early on. He clearly wasn’t in to it and that put the entire team off kilter.

33. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Thanks Darren for the great updates as always.

Watching him last night, I’m sure there are things Whiz is thinking that he isn’t going to say. Whiz didn’t commit the seven turnovers and there are very few guys on a 53 man roster with enough experience that he can turn to for an alternative. I expect Whiz to be very active with roster adjustments this offseason. It seems that some players have become too comfortable and more competition is needed. We also need more players who aren’t afraid to hold their teamates accountable (e.g. Darnell Dockett), especially when they know the coaches aren’t succeeding on that front.

34. By Sean on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Cardinals got beat by a team that wanted it more and played better. The key word here is “outplayed” – The Niner D was vicious and was going for the ball had a much better game plan.
    Oh and Waaah Waaah Waaah “they had empty seats” – What does that have to do with anything? You got your a____es handed to you. The Niners did you a HUGE favor and will help you in your run for the Super Bowl by exposing some sloppy play. I’m a life long 49er fan, 2 things.
    1. I’d love to see you guys win it all (barring some miracle that we get in)
    2. Just admit it, you got beat. Quit whining and go kick a** from here on!

35. By Dick on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Darren –

With Matt Ware perhaps unavailable, is there any chance the Cards could get Aaron Francisco from the Colts? They aren’t using him, and he was pretty good for the Cards, wasn’t he?

36. By Justin Cards fan since 95 on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

WE ARE HEADED TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!………..Let me say that again, WE ARE HEADED TO THE PLAYOFFS!!! I think we have all forgotten how far the Cardinals have come in the last five years!!! No moro Blow outs……I’m talking 67-10 blow outs of 5 years ago. All these Nay sayer’s season’s end in three weeks. Win 1 more game and none of this crap means anything. I ‘ve had your back since 95 and proud to be an Arizona Cardinal Fan!! See ya in the playoff’s Beaches!!

37. By Former Steeler Fan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Is it possible that the torch for dominance in the NFC Worst has been passed to the 49ers?

LT is a weak spot. Without Hightower to back him up, Bridges was exposed. And, Gandy was exposed in the Super Bowl. Not too early to discuss free agent and college draft LTs.

The gunslinger side of Kurt Warner reappeared, throwing deep into double and triple coverage. It appeared that he was predisposed to go deep, although I’m sure that Whiz called some of them. Weren’t there more RB out-of-the-backfield, short middle of the field and sideline completions available?

Many times when Kurt went under center, he handed off. It appeared to be a tip-off of what was coming. Why not handoff from the shotgun to create some uncertainty for the defense?

Darren, what specific techniques does the RB coach teach Hightower and Wells to try to avoid fumbles? Someone should tell Tim to stop carrying around a ball on the sidelines. It doesn’t help and when he continues to fumble, it looks silly.

38. By darrenurban on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

JustinMoon —

A couple of quick points:

— Not sure if you saw the rule change 10 or 15 years ago, but two-point conversions are available in the NFL. Fifteen points is reachable by scoring two touchdowns.
    — Yes, there were quite a few empty seats. Was it half-empty? No. But yes, there were a significant number of seats empty. Perhaps I was just looking when everyone was buying concessions. But my observation was from during the game, not before.
    — Yes, the 49ers remain alive in the division, and they have swept the Cards. But the prevailing wisdom in the NFL, spoken by people like Parcells and many others, is “You are what your record says you are.” The Cardinals are 8-5. The 49ers are 6-7. Not sure how that makes the 49ers the better team.
    — You rip me for whining, yet you also write “Even though the Niners had some of the worst luck in losing like 4-5 game by less than 6 points.” That would seem to fall into your definition of whining.

39. By Former Steeler Fan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

The Cards are schizophrenic: Giants, then Panthers….Vikes, then 49ers.

They are just like taking a piece of candy from a box of chocolates. You don’t know what you’re going to get.

It was interesting to hear Jon Gruden talk about the collapse of his Buccaneers last season; going from 9-3 to losing their last four and missing the playoffs. Could it happen to the Cards? Some more INTs, fumbles and blown coverages and we’ll see.

40. By darrenurban on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Sean —

Appreciate the thoughts. You’re the second 49ers fan bothered by the seats reference. Not sure why. It was an observation in a blog with many observations. I was merely stating I was surprised, considered it was a Monday night game. That’s all.

41. By darrenurban on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Former Steelers Fan —

Well, it’s tough to say the torch was passed unless the 49ers win the division, which I don’t expect to happen.

I think this one should be chalked up to a clunker. If Warner dumps the ball off, people complain he doesn’t go downfield enough. That was the rage after the first 49ers game — a loss, by the way, as everyone remembers — when Hightower caught 12 passes.

They do hand off out of the shotgun. Doesn’t always work, but they do use that play.

Not sure about the specific techniques, but whatever is going on, both players need to work on improving.

42. By darrenurban on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Dick —

The trade deadline has passed and I don’t think the Cards would make a deal for Francisco anyway. The Colts aren’t going to cut him either, I wouldn’t think.

43. By TucsonTim on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

“and make no mistake, the Cards are still going to win the NFC West”

Darren, weren’t the Broncos up 3 over the Chargers last year with 4 games remaining.

The Bengals and Philly lost to Oakland on the road. I wouldn’t take the Detroit game for granted. This team would not have beaten Detroit last night. You know it’s not just the turnovers, it was Hightower missing blocks, penalties, blocked extra points, lousy kick offs, Rolle blowing coverage, Kreider not blocking or missing his guy, pulling guards not getting where they needed to be, Warner throwing into perfect double coverage, receivers giving up on routes, on and on. I think the UofA could have beaten the Cards last night. People are trying to compare it to the Jets game last year. No way. We actually got the offense going in the second half of that game. Maybe the New England game, but everyone blamed it on the snow and we knew we didn’t have to win.

Given the circumstances: revenge game, Monday night football, WINNING THE DIVISION, this is the worst effort I’ve seen in a long time.

Now the Cards really do have some must win games in front of them.

By the way thanks for the blog. It’s really nice to have some contact with someone on the “inside”. Your comments are greatly appreciated. One more thing, who is our back up kicker. Can’t graham kick?

44. By TucsonTim on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Justin, I think if our one win is against Detroit and SF runs the table, the Cards will be watching the playoffs like the rest of us. I know the Cards don’t seam to be the same team they were 5 years ago. But if they only win one more game and don’t make the playoffs, they are just the same. After last nights debacle, they’ve rocked my confidence.

45. By ThomaSexy on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

It’s okay. It seems everyone will start to underestimate the Cardinals again, like they did against the Vikings and Giants this year and all the playoff games last year, and look what happened. Cardinals win when they’re the underdog.

As much as last night sucked, we have to learn from it and get excited about the things this team is going to do in the future!

And I just have to give a shout-out to Kurt Warner. I was on your website KurtWarner.org and was reading all your career achievements. It’s amazing!! I’m excited all over again!! Keep up the good work on and off the field! God bless you!!!

46. By ASUCHRIS on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

“We still have a chance at the division.” – Justin Moon aka Niners Internet Badass

Just like there is a chance you’ll add something intelligent to the conversation…in other words, highly unlikely. Enjoy cheering on the division champs while your team is home for the holidays, again!

47. By Secret on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

goodness! theres a lot of people who turned out on this comment page! Heres what ive gotten out of the comments thus far:
    – There are a couple of down to earth 49er fans and a couple that love trash talking! we know we lost, now go get ready for next season while we play in the post-season!
    – nice job shutting down justinmoon, darren
    -hightower isnt a bad tail back, hes just having trouble with ball security. He can block and catch better than any other back on the team, thats why hes still a starter
    -Heres the scenario of the last 3 weeks in regards to clinching the NFC west: We have lions, rams, then packers. 9ers have eagles, lions, then rams. I can assure you guys that after a loss like that, the cardinals wont lose these next two games. We are a game away from clinching if the 9ers lose against the eagles (which i put my money on), but anything is possible. If 9ers win their next two games and cards win their next two games, we clinch before green bay regardless. All the cards need to do to clinch is win against the 2 worst teams in the NFL. DONT WORRY ABOUT MONDAY’S LOSS.
    -dont worry about the coaching, its obvious that wiz is going to work on ball security this week
    -have faith in the cards like i know even the bandwagoners did a couple weeks ago against the vikes

48. By ThomaSexy on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Just like Kurt Warner experiencing ups and downs in his career, the Cardinals are facing ups and downs. But let’s not forget their recent history under Kurt Warner:

2008 Regular season:

Bills Vs Cardinals
    Bills are undefeated at 4-0 and lead the AFC East…Cardinals hand the Bills their first loss

Cowboys Vs Cardinals
    Cowboys are 4-1. Everyone talked about how great the Cowboys are…Cardinals won

2008 Playoffs:

Falcons Vs Cardinals
    Everyone talks about Matt Ryan being rookie of the year, how his first pass in the NFL was a long touchdown. All the conversations were about Matt Ryan and the turn-around the Falcons made this year…Cardinals won.

Cardinals Vs Panthers
    The Panthers are undefeated at home. The Cardinals are winless on the East coast. The power running game of the Panthers is unstoppable…Cardinals won.

Eagles Vs Cardinals
    Everyone was talking about Donovan McNabb, how he was benched and came back better than ever. All the commentators were talking about his repeated trips to the playoffs and how this is finally his year to win the Superbowl…Cardinals won.

This season:

Cardinals Vs Giants
    Everyone talked about the Giants and their supreme defense and running game. They were ranked in the top of the power rankings. Everyone talked about the Giants being strong on all sides of the ball and having only one loss…Cardinals won.

Vikings Vs Cardinals
    The Vikings are possibly the best team in the NFL. They have superman Brett Favre and the best running back Adrian Peterson and lead the NFC in pro bowl votes…Cardinals won.

It seems the Cardinals have their best luck against “elite” teams. And it seems that most “elite” teams fall apart after the Cardinals defeat them. The Bills and Cowboys missed the playoffs that year. The Falcons and Panthers are missing the playoffs this year. The Giants are likely to miss the playoffs this year. Only the Eagles and Vikings have survived from Cardinal upsets. Heck, even the Steelers are bad after the Cards gave them all they’ve got in the Superbowl.

I’m just excited to see what elite teams we’re going to knock out of the playoffs this year. Will it be the undefeated Saints? Hahaha. Personally, I’m counting on it!

Sorry this is so long. Do I win the job as a Cardinal writer now?

49. By Michael FAN!!!1 on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Dont th cards owners know they have to re sign Whisenhunt??? whats up with that i wonder what they think??? anyways that loss to niners hurts

50. By Michael FAN!!!1 on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Re sign Whisenhunt anyone??? they guy deserves it, so do the fans!!! darren pull some strings

51. By darrenurban on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Tucson —

I am going to respectfully disagree with your assessment on Monday. As bad as the game was, the Cards were within 17-9 and had the ball with 12 minutes left. Would they have lost to the Lions? Perhaps. But because they turned it over seven times. I think the effort was there. It was nothing like the New England game to me. It’s funny, DC Bill Davis said something to me the other day that probably doesn’t fit last night, but fits most games. He said in the end, a team makes basically the same number of mistakes in most losses as wins. For whatever reason, those mistakes don’t hurt as bad in the wins. I think overreacting to the 49ers game would be a mistake.

Hey, the Cards needed to finish strong (i.e., beat the Lions and Rams) regardless of what happened last night.

As for the backup kicker, it would be Hightower in a game. Otherwise, they need to sign someone.

52. By darrenurban on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Thoma —

If we only had a contest for such a thing …

53. By JAMI on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

U GUYS REALLY NEED A DOSE OF REALITY, YOU HAVE THE 2 OF THE BEST RECIEVERS IN THE LEAGUE AND IF YOU DONT DO IT THIS YEAR IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN BECAUSE YOU HAD YOUR SHOT LAST YEAR AND THIS WILL BE WARNERS LAST YEAR. LIKE HE SAID HE WANTS TO SEE HIS KIDS GROW UP.SOON YOUR RECIEVERS WILL WANT TO GO SOME PLACE WHERE THEY THEY WIN THE GAMES THAT COUNT(999999ERS)BABY!

54. By nor cal cards fan on Dec 15, 2009 | Reply

Let’s face it. The Cards are bipolar. They could go all the way and win the Super Bowl, or they could get destroyed in the 1st round. Flip a coin.

55. By Eazy E on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

Kurt had a tough game and so did the whole offense. Timmy, Beanie, And LSH fumbled which was disappointing but Beanie looked real good save for the killer fumble. Soooooo glad fitz is straight because would have been a huge loss for us obviously. Quan tried to fire up the offense but every time we got started FUMBLE!!!!!! Gandy needs to take his time and get fully healthy because with him injured and not playing at a high level hurts us. Bridges needs to start at LT for the rest of the regular season and playoffs. The sack he gave up was probably on lyle because ahmad brooks got a great jump and stripped warner but bridges recovered, he predicted the snap count, i guess. The D played wonderful. Calais had 2 offsides early which wasn’t good but had a sack. Dockett had an amazing pick tipping it and catching it. He was a split second away from getting a couple sacks, and got good hits on alex smith. He better go to the pro bowl he is beastin. Adrian Wilson had a great game, shutting down the nfl leader in tds vernon davis (3 rec. 34 yds. TD). The td he did get a-wil was right there but they gave it to him because a-wil was fightin for it and he had corralled it. I hate that the cards came out that disappointing on offense with the turnovers but on to detroit.

56. By shannon robinson on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

Our future left tackle is already on the team. He’s Levi Brown, Brandon Keith, or Herman Johnson. Canfield fills out the guard position and Sendlein and Claxton continue to develop at center. Jeremy Bridges and Mike Gandy have done well. It’s important to see that based on Mike Gandy’s contract the Cards are willing to spend the money on the position. I guess Graves signs Gandy and Bridges to one year contracts and we draft defense. Of course they always give Coach Grimm a late round draft choice for his offensive lineman project. Now we beat Detroit – what a great game for Cards fans – it’s no longer ho, hum.

57. By ThomaSexy on Dec 16, 2009 | Reply

Let’s look at all the playoff teams from last year:

Dolphins
    Steelers
    Ravens
    Titans
    Colts
    Chargers
    Giants
    Eagles
    Vikings
    Panthers
    Falcons
    Cardinals

How many of these teams are playoff locks or pretty darn close to it?

Colts
    Chargers
    Eagles
    Vikings
    Cardinals

Of all the playoff teams last year, less than half of them were consistant enough to make it this year. Seems like the Cardinals are pretty consistant to me.

Here’s another stat for everyone:

Every time Kurt Warner has been the full time starter for a team, he’s gone to the Superbowl. He’s 3 for 3 now. Who else is that consistant? Tom Brady? No. Peyton Manning? No. Brett Favre? No. Is Kurt Warner consistant? Yes.

I know this game sucked, but it didn’t kill us. We can only get better from it. We learned what our defense is capable of, and we learned where our offensive faults are now, instead of in the playoffs. This was a very good learning experience. Take it for what it is.

Keep your heads up. Let’s shock the world!

58. By Art McMahon on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

Am I the only guy who saw Warner get hit upside the head by DL Smth of the 49ers in the first series of plays. Comon–doesn’t he have an issue with concussions?? Leirnert has the tools to beat the Lions/Rams–give Kurt a rest and take him into the playoffs. I admit the 7 turnovers didn’t help–neither does getting your bell rung. Kurt was not sharp and should have been pulled.