• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Now, Campbell is fine with sacks

Posted by Darren Urban on December 18, 2009 – 10:19 am

Admittedly, Calais Campbell was thinking of his bank account, and it may be costing him the team lead in sacks right now.

Campbell’s goals before the season were to lead the Cards in sacks and reaching double digits in the category. Campbell has six sacks right now, with linemate Darnell Dockett totaling seven.

Flash back to the final play of the first half in Tennessee, where Darnell Dockett tracked down a scrambling Vince Young for a sack, the clock running out and costing the Titans a chance at a field goal? That was one of Dockett’s sacks. Campbell should have been the one who got Young on that play. Somehow, Campbell – who had a similar play in Jacksonville when he allowed David Garrard to escape what looked like a sure sack – didn’t bring Young down.

In this case, Campbell thought Young threw the ball.

“Usually you still throw him to the ground, let him know you’re there, but I didn’t want to get fined,” Campbell said. “So I gave him a love tap to let him know I was there, and I turned around to see where he threw the ball, and I saw it was still in his hand. I was like, ‘Man, I should’ve taken him to the ground.’ That hurt. But I thought about the fine.”

Campbell tried to put such thoughts out of his head after that. A week later, Campbell tossed Vikings quarterback Brett Favre like a rag doll on a sack, and while he wasn’t flagged, he was fined $5,000 for the extra emphasis.

“I learned the last couple weeks, you just play and if the fine comes, you go with it,” Campbell said. “Sacks are critical, so if you have a chance to make it happen, you have to get it.”

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “Now, Campbell is fine with sacks”

1. By Chris on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

He was fined???? Seriously???? FOR WHAT??? This ain’t flag football Commish…
    Seriously, next they’ll fine players for “too aggressively running an defenseless player out of bounds and for hurting his feelings.”

2. By Dann on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

Tackling the opposition to force a fumble is legal if it is a running back, but not a quarterback? If Farve would have lost the ball when falling on the tackler, would that have been legal?

3. By Vaegrin on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

When the Bengals played the Vikings, Jonathan Joseph was flagged for WALKING TOWARDS Visanthe Shiancoe and allowing Shiancoe to headbutt him.

Some of these penalties for not sacking quarterbacks gently enough are silly, but I’ve never seen anything as crazy as a 15-yard personal foul for walking towards an opposing player and getting headbutted.

4. By Bob on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

Good thing he didn’t sack Young. His scramble expired any time left for a field goal. Didn’t really matter in the end though.

5. By ryan on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

i can’t believe he was fined! what B.S.! The refs didn’t blow the whistle so campbell had to take him down. that is absolute crap by the NFL front office, im mean heck, that should of been a fumbled ball anyways!

The NFL is going to turn into flag football in 10 yrs. Its so pathetic. Hockey will thrive because it will be the only contact sport left.

6. By Jeff on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

That’s pathetic that he was fined! It was not a penalty, and no way should he have been fined.

7. By David on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

I don’t think we’ve been giving our defense enough credit. The NFL stats don’t project how much heart they put into each game. Week 14 proved that the defense will put 120% into helping out the offense. That being said, are the fines affecting the way the Cards are out to sack the opposing (excluding CC)?

8. By Aaron Lone-Eagle on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

If the picture above is th sack that they fined Campbell on, what’s next? I understand the whole thing about trying to protect the quarterback, but let’s get real, This new Tom Brady rule is getting out of hand. It is almost to a piont where the defense can’t even touch the quarterback. Now as much as I hate to bring up a painful topic, look at last years super Bowl. Kurt Warner was on his back most of the first half, and it was after he released the ball, where as the first time the Cards got pressure on Big Ben, a flsg was thrown for a late hit on the QB. What is up with that. Look, I know this league is trying to protect the QB’s of the league, but it seems like, only certain QB’s are being protected so to speak, such as Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlesberger and a few others. I have never heard of a defender getting fined foe hitting Kurt Warner. One other thing, I know there are alot of good QB’s in this laegue and I know that three in particular are getting MVP chants, I also know that our record is 8-5, but don’t you think Warner deserves some love too, after all , in my personnel opinion he got screwed out of it last year to Peyton. Good QB, Bad call. Kurt was more of an MVP than anyone else. I would like to hear your opinion Darren.

9. By darrenurban on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

Dann –

Don’t forget, on the Favre sack, they had already blown the play dead by the time Campbell took him down.

10. By darrenurban on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

Aaron –

I think Kurt would be definitely in the mix if the Cards (and Warner too) hadn’t had an off night in SF. Unfortunately, I think that likely cost Warner any chance to be in the discussion, especially with the years Favre/Brees/Manning are having.

11. By Aaron Lone-Eagle on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

Brees has been good obviously, undefeated, but Favre, Didn’t he throw 2 intercetions against us on Sunday night football, as well as 2 picks that went for touchdowns against the Steelers. Kurt had a bad night granted. I believe he is going to have a phenomenal game on Sunday against the Lions, if not a career day. He has always responded quite well after an embarrassing loss. Also, I know I am going off on a tangent, but i believe the Cardinals are going to play with a chip on their shoulder, they will be playing mad. From what I have been hearing on the NFL Network, Beanie has always run well in Michigan, I expect him to have a big day. Let’s wrap it up this week Cards!!!