Graham, Fitz, A-Dub top NFC Pro Bowl voting

Posted by Darren Urban on December 22, 2009 – 3:42 pm

A final tally at least from the fans, that is. Remember, players and coaches get their shot at the other two-thirds of the process tomorrow, when teams around the league put in their two cents to what the fans came up with over the past couple of months.

Not surprisingly, not much changed from last week. Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald was the top vote getter among wideouts and fifth overall, behind QBs Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Brett Favre and running back Adrian Peterson. At the individual positions, the Cards’ results were as follows:

• Two players besides Fitz “won” their positions. Adrian Wilson was the top NFC vote-getter at strong safety, while Ben Graham surged at the end to finish tops among NFC punters;
  • Kurt Warner was fourth among NFC quarterbacks (Brees, Favre and Aaron Rodgers);
  • Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was fourth for NFC cornerbacks (Charles Woodson, Asante Samuel, Antoine Winfield);
  • Darnell Dockett was fourth for NFC defensive tackles (Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Albert Haynesworth);
  • Antrel Rolle was third for NFC free safeties (Darren Sharper, Madeau Williams).

Tags: , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Graham, Fitz, A-Dub top NFC Pro Bowl voting”

1. By Mike on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    What is your opinion on having the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl? It seems a bit strange to me being that the fans who watch it want to see the best players in there. Im not gonna start the Cards superbowl chants yet but obviously the two teams that make it aren’t going to put their players in that game. Im sure the ones who do go enjoy that Hawaii trip as well…

2. By Mike"Pay Q" on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Darren, Since the coaches and players count for 2/3 of the votes, do you think Q has a shot? I know he has not had as many TD’s as last year, but he is peaking, and maybe I am biased but I have seen him open repeatedly this year and has not getten the ball. Not saying it was intentional of course, sometimes pressure, sometimes the ball went to others etc.

3. By William on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Darren –

Slightly off topic, but as of now, is the team leaning towards putting Gandy on IR, or leaving him be?

4. By darrenurban on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

William –

It would not surprise me to see Gandy on IR this week.

5. By darrenurban on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Mike –

They were trying to make it easier for media and fans to get to the game, and possibly keep players more involved. But yes, you won’t see the players from the Super teams and players would rather be in Hawaii. I don’t know if it’d be a long-term thing. Miami is one thing. Dallas? Not so much.

6. By darrenurban on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

“Pay Q” –

Boldin has a shot, which I never would have guessed to start the year. Fitz is a lock. That leaves three spots for Boldin, Miles Austin, DeSean Jackson, Steve Smith (NYG), and Sidney Rice.

7. By Big Red on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

How can you even include miles with Boldin, Jackson, Smith and Rice. C’mon man. He hasn’t proven himself yet to be elite. It was like when romo was in his first pro bowl. C’mon man. Half a season players

8. By darrenurban on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Big Red –

Seriously? You could make the argument Austin is the most deserving. I don’t know how you can say Austin hasn’t proven himself but NYG’s Smith and Rice, for instance, have. Boldin’s first half of the season wasn’t up to par either. I am not a fan of those who say a guy hasn’t “earned” it because he hasn’t been around. Personally, I think LaRod Stephens-Howling deserves at least some consideration for the Pro Bowl. Under your theory, as a rookie, he shouldn’t get in.

9. By NM Cards Fan on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

Glad to see Fitz was a lock, Q deserves to be next. When they are both in he game it gives every defense problems covering both, Q may have not produced much, but what did having him in the game contribute? Throw Breaston and Doucet in the mix and someone will get the ball everytime.

10. By Eazy E on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

I think my wide receivers would be Fitz, Anquan, Desean, and Miles. Fitz is a easy lock. Anquan earlier wasn’t a candidate mainly because of injuries but he’s on fire and definitely a pro bowler this year. Desean is super explosive. When he came out, i wanted the cards to get him, he went 2 picks before we chose and we got early who lately has showed he belongs. Big Red, you need to look at a cowboys game, darren is right. I live in Dallas the man is real, he is tied with Fitz and Vernon Davis with 11 tds. In the huge saints game, he had 7 rec. 139 yds. and a td, he deserves it.

11. By Jeff Gollin on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

As a Cardinal fan, I naturally feel all our top players (including Howling, Rolle and Dansby) should be at the top of the votiing, but they’re competing in tough company.

That said – I’d rather that none of our players appear in the Pro Bowl (because it would mean we made it back to the Super Bowl).

12. By Ditship on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

I hate the Cowboys but even I have to gives Props to Austin. I hope Q can get in again but I think it’s not as likely.. He has come on very strong these past few weeks though.. Vikings game in particular.

Also.. If the Cards make it to the Super Bowl again this year I think I’ll get over not seeing them play in the Pro Bowl.

13. By Brandon on Dec 26, 2009 | Reply

Two words…Darnell Docket

Best DT in football. I hope the team takes care of him. Boldins gone for sure, and im sure Rolle or Dansby will be also.

14. By MattA on Dec 26, 2009 | Reply

Im a huge Boldin fan, I hope he gets in this year, he was banged up early on but he is clearly one of the best recievers in the game today!

Darren, whats the story with your bro? Are the cards just lookin towards the future with Early or did Urban get in the dog house somehow? I thought he had a good training camp and was shocked when I saw him inactive for the first time a couple weeks back…

15. By darrenurban on Dec 26, 2009 | Reply

MattA -

I don’t think Jerheme is in the doghouse. I think he is caught in a tough position with the Cards only wanting five receivers active gamedays, and one is a special teams ace (Sean Morey). It’s either Doucet or Urban on game days and Doucet, ultimately, is a third-round pick. Something else to consider, although I have no inside info at all. If the Cards ended up wanting to trade Boldin in the offseason, they need to know if Doucet could fill the role. Then they’d need both Doucet and Urban, right?

16. By MattA on Dec 26, 2009 | Reply

Yeah I see your point. I guess Im just trying to make myself believe Boldin will be a Cardinal for the remainder of his career. I haven’t really taken the time to look at the future without him. What do you think the percentage is of him staying versus being traded this offseason? Or do you think that we will make him play out his contract through 2010? Thanks in advance for all your insight.

17. By darrenurban on Dec 27, 2009 | Reply

MattA –

Well, again, I haven’t talked to anyone on the subject, so I am just speculating. I suppose it depends what some team is willing to offer for Q; it may not be worth moving him compared to having him contribute for one more season. I would guess the Cards will make an extension offer of some kind; whether it is for the same money Q wants — or, more importantly, whether Q would even be interested in staying given how angry he has been at the organization — is another story.