Monday’s Whiz reflections

Posted by Darren Urban on December 28, 2009 – 11:54 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt talked about what his plans are for the Packers since it’s likely the Cards will play them not only in the finale but also in the playoffs. Right now, Whiz’s answers are he doesn’t know. The Cards will game-plan like it will be a game of significance, but may pull back if something changes in the early games depending on the outcomes. That goes for the amount of detail in the game plan and with how much the starters will play. I’ll have more in a homepage story later today on the subject. It helps the Cards to prepare this week anyway because the playoff game might be on Saturday and the Cards can jump-start playoff prep.

A couple other notes:

– Whisenhunt said, after he went back and looked at the tape, he was actually not as upset with the offensive line’s protection — and he was asked specifically about tackles Levi Brown and Jeremy Bridges — as he twas originally. “I think for the most part our line played a very good game yesterday,” Whisenhunt said. “We had one or two plays on the edge with Jeremy and that’s going to happen in a game. We will continue to work on correcting those things. Anytime you spread out like we do and expose the edge, you have to be aware those things can happen. It’s a risk-reward thing.

“We just have to be a little more aware, like we did against Minnesota, that we give those guys some help in certain situations as far as chips or body presence. I’m not disappointed at all in the way those guys played. I was upset after the game because my perception of how our line played was not what it actually was. If you look at how Levi played and how physical he was and some of the things he did in protection, I actually was impressed with how he played and Jeremy … for the most part, did a nice job.”

– Injury-wise, the Cards seem to be in good shape. Whisenhunt had no new updates on the left elbow injuries to Larry Fitzgerald and Greg Toler, but neither are expected to be serious. Fitz certainly doesn’t think so. Kicker Neil Rackers (groin) kicked a little Saturday and will kick again today to see where he is in his rehab. Fullback Dan Kreider (neck) should be fine, and tight end Ben Patrick and receiver Sean Morey (both have concussions) should be back this week.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Monday’s Whiz reflections”

1. By Steve on Dec 28, 2009 | Reply

Excpet for Gandy we could have everyone healthy heading into the playoffs. That is almost unheard of in the NFL.

Lott deserves a lot more credit then he gets for the work he does with these guys.

2. By Joe on Dec 28, 2009 | Reply

There are some folks in this blog who think the Cards should go out and kick the Packer’s butt this weekend in prep for the playoffs, but I would guess that Whiz would want to show them almost no game planning, maybe play the starters for part of a half, but only very vanilla (as they say) and then thats it.

3. By Ayanfe on Dec 28, 2009 | Reply

Hi Darren.

Thaks for the good job you do. It’s good to have a good insider source on all things Cardinals even for a fan in Ireland. I find it quite interesting that we’ll probably play the Packers without gameplanning twice this year (pre-season finale and next week) before 1 all-important game (playoff tie if Vikes fail to lose tonight). I’d wanna go for 3rd seed since it gives us a better chance of hosting NFC Confernce match, but our game is on at the same time as the Eagles-Cowboys game, so if there’s no 1st round bye to play for, I think Whiz might rest starters, or do so during the game if eagles are handing it ti cowboys.

4. By darrenurban on Dec 28, 2009 | Reply

Ayanfe —

I think your logic is sound.

5. By Don C on Dec 28, 2009 | Reply

Coach Wiz said it may not be worth it to tip our hand and get a 3 spot verses 4. I think that is wrong. If we are 3 and the number 4 seed both win our games against then numbers 1 and 2 then we would host them, not them hosting us. That is huge, does he not understand this. What if it’s Philadelphia, that would be crazy going in there verses having them here. I am confused help me out if I’m wrong, or going to Dallas verses here.

Green Bay isn’t talking that way, read the coaches presser today. They said you never use all the plays anyway, bad precedent, giving away a game. Remember the Giants playing NE 3 years ago at the end of preseason. They left it all on the field and lost, but beat them in the Superbowl. I don’t like what I am hearing from Wiz. Bad way to go into the playoffs.

6. By darrenurban on Dec 28, 2009 | Reply

Don —

First of all, given the circumstances, it is impossible for Philly to be No. 4 and us be No. 3. Can’t happen. If we are No. 3, it means Dallas is No. 4. If Philly is No. 3, we are 4, but that could happen even if we beat GB. Dallas has to beat Philly — and the Cards have to win — to be able to move up from No. 4. I did see what the Packers coach was saying, and frankly, he said about the same thing as Whiz.

7. By Mike on Dec 28, 2009 | Reply

Don C,
    It’s not worth it if you don’t get past the Packers in the first round, so if you game plan to much for the first game and show to much it could cost them for the second game. Ofcourse he understands the seedings, but you can’t look past the first playoff game, or you’ll never make it to the later rounds.
    Trust the Whiz.

8. By Steve on Dec 28, 2009 | Reply

The probability of the Vikes loosing makes it unlikely to get the #2 spot. So I would actualy prefer the #4 spot meaning unless there was an upset in the other wildcard game we would play the Saints, who have not looked very good and not having to face Minn until the NFCC game sounds good to me

9. By Ayanfe on Dec 28, 2009 | Reply

At the moment, the scoreline in Chicago puts the Cards in Whishenhunt’s planned scenario. They gameplan and prepare hard for a vital game i.e. no letting up mentally or physically, and by gametime (after Vikes Sunday game and depending on the result) they decide whether to play full throttle or bench starters. I like it this way, as even if we don’t get 2nd seed and 1st round bye, we still prepare and we don’t let up throughout the week, and get to watch film on packers against pre-planned looks on offense and defense, maybe even special teams. All we might miss out on if Vikes win Sunday is our guys getting 60 minutes worth of hits and that’s not such a bad thing.

10. By Don C on Dec 28, 2009 | Reply

Follow up on my seedings comment. I can’t see Pittsburgh, who has the most championships resting their starters the last game of the season if they were playing the Ravens, and playing them in the Playoffs. Not going to happen. Every time the Colts have done that they looked rusty for a half in the Playoffs and lost in the first round. Seeding does matter for the later rounds, remember last year we got to host Phily at home rather than there. Turning it on and off is not a good thing. You can play a team one way one week and approach them a different way the next week.

11. By T Bru on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Vikes lost and have dropped 3 of the last 4, Cowboys and Cardinals have home games, and NY has to be coming in angry after the last game. We have a legitimate shot at #2

12. By Tyrelle on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

The Vikes have the early game so we will know.