Pro Bowl possibilities — Fitz, Dockett are in

Posted by Darren Urban on December 29, 2009 – 12:10 pm

UPDATE: Both Darnell Dockett (here) and Larry Fitzgerald (here) have tweeted that each have been named Pro Bowl starters. UPDATE II: Here’s the full story.

In a few hours, the Pro Bowl rosters for this season will be announced (it’ll be at 5 p.m. Arizona time on the NFL Network, and hopefully azcardinals.com will have the local news ASAP, so check back then). I expect the Cards to be represented well, based on the seasons some players have had and the fan voting. Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald is a lock, as is safety Adrian Wilson. I think two players who should be locks (but we’re trying to not count our chickens …) are punter Ben Graham and defensive tackle (for Pro Bowl purposes) Darnell Dockett. I also think cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (below, talking to A-Dub) has a chance, although perhaps another step down. And I wouldn’t be surprised if QB Kurt Warner and WR Anquan Boldin are in the alternate mix, as would be FS Antrel Rolle.

That’s another twist to all this. Since the Pro Bowl will be played the week before the Super Bowl, I think alternates will be involved more than ever before. The two teams in the Super Bowl won’t have anyone playing (Cardinals?) and you are also shaving two weeks off of rest meaning some other players might not want to get in the game.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Pro Bowl possibilities — Fitz, Dockett are in”

1. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

With all the rules restrictions, watching the Pro Bowl is worse than watching pre-season football, and is even more meaningless.

2. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

I’m guessing DRC doesn’t wear a cup because it hinders his running/leaping ability?

3. By Joe on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Wondering why no one from AZ media mentions Rackers. He has the highest FG % in the league and excels at kickoffs. A longshot for sure, but no mention at all?

4. By darrenurban on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Joe —

I agree Neil deserves mention, but I don’t think he’s got a chance after getting injured.

5. By Joe on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Joe-
    Hey, friend, there’s already a Joe in here, or am I the late comer? I’ve been posting on here for while now, but one of us needs to adjust or I’ll get confused who I am. Whadda ya say?
    Joe.

6. By azcardsfan22 on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Darren is there(right now) a better interior lineman on defense better than dockett right now……….and please don’t say Haynesworth, Dockett has outplayed him this year

7. By Aaron Lone-Eagle on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

If Anquan Boldin is not selected to the pro-bowl, an injustice has occured, same with Kurt Warner. Hey every quaterback has his day to be bad. Reciecers get hurt. That should not be a reason to keep a plater out of the pro- bowl. Oh and by the way, whose genious idea was it to make the pro-bowl the week before the Super Bowl. Do they really think the two teams in the Super Bowl are going to participate, I don’t think so. I also agree with Joe, Rackers should be in. I may be biased, but I think the Cards get snubbed too much. Their not even being mentioned as a possibility of getting the number two seed. all I keep hearing about is the Eagles.Didn’t we beat them last year. All I keep hearing about is how great McNabb is and all of his weapons. If i am correct, we were 4 points and a blown call away from already being the number two seed. A 4 point loss against the niners, and referee telling the titans lineman not to hold instead of throwing the flag, game over. Well I guess for the first time ever, I am routing for the Cowboys and the Giants aahhgg!!! hey Cards let’s beat the Pack. One Question Darren, on the off chance we do have to face the Pack two weeks in a row, How do you think Whiz will play it this week? I only ask because I Know they will know thier fate before they even take the field Sunday. It’s been great talkin to you Darren.

8. By darrenurban on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

azcardsfan22 —

I don’t watch the AFC enough to truly have a good grasp on that, but it’d be hard to argue, in this context, that Dockett doesn’t deserve to go to the Pro Bowl.

9. By darrenurban on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Aaron —

We’ll see how Whiz plays it. I think, if Minnesota wins, there is a good chance the Cards pull back at some point, maybe halftime. We’ll see. The third seed would still be on the line. I don’t know what the Packers will do either — they have less to play for than the Cards.

10. By TucsonTim on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Been traveling around Austrailia over the holidays. Not much time for TV but they do show some live football on FoxSports and ESPN. Of course no one ever talks about the cardinals so I’m lucky to have internet. Ben Graham is something of a celebrity here. I’ve seen three different Cardinal clips on the local Sydney news including a “game saving tackle” against the Rams!

11. By Marcus on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

@OttisAndersonFan – Pro’s don’t wear cups, they wear jocks. And why are you looking at his package anyway?

12. By Sue H on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

If Minnesota and/or Philadelphia wins, I’d almost rather see us get the 4th seed. That ensures that we’d be playing indoors for at least the first two playoff games. The way the Saints have looked the past four weeks, they don’t scare me.

13. By Bob on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Tucson Tim –

“game saving tackle”. I had to LOL that.

I have heard they are excited about him down under. And good for him.

14. By Matt on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Darren-

Since we play at the same time as the Cowboys and Eagles, assuming the Giants win, if at half the Eagles are up 42-0 (for example), would Whiz notice that and pull the starters?

15. By darrenurban on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Matt —

Right now, I don’t think anyone really knows what Whiz will do. Heck, he probably isn’t sure. So much can still happen. But yes, I would guess there will be someone keeping him up to date on the Eagles-Cowboys score.

16. By dan "the muscles" on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

The pro Bowl sellection should be on stats not popularity contest.

17. By Wesley on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Well, as for Boldin, as much as I’d like to see him in the Pro Bowl (Super Bowl would be better), those weeks out earlier in the season really hurt his chances pretty badly, even though he has been playing at Pro Bowl level for the past few weeks.
    I also agree, Rackers has one of the biggest legs in the NFL, but yet again the injury is probably a reason for him not getting in.

18. By bobby62914 on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Nice to see another OJ Anderson fan. I remember how excited I was after his first game. Jim Otis was a fine running back before him, but not in the same class.

Rackers is not getting any pro bowl love because he is injured. Otherwise, he would be in the discussion.

Graham and Boldin definitely earned this recognition, but they didn’t get it…

19. By Mike on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

What as shame Graham did not get in. His stats speak for themself; he leads the league in punts inside the 20 and inside the 10. And his average is less than a yard shorter than Lee (who was named to the pro bowl).

20. By spitfire772 on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Nobody pays much attention to kickers. Most people vote for the same few kickers every year. Rackers has been consistently great for the Cards year in and year out, but the injury hurts any chance he had. Also, he hasn’t had to kick any long FG’s. Of course he has the leg and accuracy to do it, but people will look at that. You notice his absence on kickoffs hurts us– Mike Nugent can’t get it past the 5 yard line.

21. By spitfire772 on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Antrel Rolle got snubbed, along with Graham. Rolle should be the backup instead of Madieu Williams, who gets the nod only because he’s on the Minnesota Favre’s. Williams and Rolle both have 72 tackles, but Williams has NO sacks, NO forced fumbles, and NO INT’s. Rolle has 1.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, and 4 INT’s. Not real representative, but Rolle has been great this year.

22. By Marlon on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

I am a little disappointed because of Grahan. I really don´t think Andy Lee is a better punter than he is, but anyway… I’d rather see him on SuperBowl than in the ProBowl.

23. By Big Red on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Did jerry jones pay some cash again, so one of his half-season player could get into the pro-bowl (mickey mouse austin). He couldn’t even ware BOLDIN’s shoes. That is an injustice for BOLDIN, come on nfl wake-up and be fare. Austin only had go games against teams with losting records. He sucks.

24. By nor cal cards fan on Dec 29, 2009 | Reply

Graham got screwed. Let the disrespested Q take it out on his playoff opponenets. Levi Brown as a Pro Bowl alternate? Levi Brown should be an alternate on the Cards starting lineup.

25. By Jeff Gollin on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

Guaranteed to have happened (& did) – There will be snubs.

Definition of snub – “Player who deserved a Pro Bowl spot but didn’t get it.”

Thing of it is – our guys are playing in fast company. Anquan definitely deserves to be on the Pro Bowl roster, but there are a gazillion really good wide receivers all vying for 3 or 4 spots. All of them can’t make it.

Consider Kurt – Were he to have made the roster, who would you have dropped? Rodgers (who broke the total yardage record)? Donovan McNabb? Drew Brees? What about Romo (especially with all those Team Felon fans and media groupies)?

Dansby means a lot to our football team but so do guys like AJ Hawk or WIllis or Sims or Pierce or Matthews or Fletcher to their teams as well.

Antrel played well enough at times to deserve a spot, but at FS, he’s competing with a lot of quality NFC players.

Rackers’ injury hurt his chances – equally so did the success of the Cardinals on offense (especially in the red zone. No need to kick FG’s when you score TD’s all the time).

Special teams specialist is where many players and coaches try to make up for snubbing an entire football team or rewarding a friend, so I’m not surprised that LSH (despite rocking on coverage teams as well as in the return game) wasn’t recognized).

Graham got screwed.

Best way to look at it is that a Pro Bowl berth doesn’t mean any more or any less than “what a bunch of fans, writers and coaches think” – how a guy actually plays “is what it is.” Play better and that’s what means you’re better – not what somebody says.

26. By T Bru on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

Punters usually come from bad teams that punt a lot. Think Rich Camarillo.

I don’t plan to watch the probowl at all this year. Before the superbowl, weak. The best players from the best teams won’t be playing. Something about the trip to Hawaii made the pro bowl special, dumbest thing the NFL ever came up with.

27. By wedidittogether on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

Glad to see there are OJ ANDERSON fans out there … My all-time favorite Cardinal.

Known as the 2nd coming of “The Juice” until that name was spoiled by some guy driving a Bronco with one bloody glove heading for the border.

It’s a shame OJ spends most his time in the New York Giants cirlce … his greatest years were with the Cardinals … His website is mostly of a Giant nature, but I guess that is where he won his Super Bowl MVP and where his bread is buttered.

Just good to hear OJ is not dead in Cardinal lore. When he retired he was number 8 all-time in rushing in NFL History with most of those yards with the Cardinals

Don’t know if you guys agree, but Beanie Wells reminds me of a young Ottis Anderson less the fumbling of course… the fumbles remind me of Terry Metcalf.

But I think he will be fine, just hope his emerging talent doesn’t keep the potent passing attack squashed

The Key to the Cards going to Miami will be the obvious … win the turnover battle, the defense getting off the field on 3rd downs and protecting the QB.

Conquer those and they will be extremely hard to beat.

It would nice to see the re-emergence of the deep ball and the run defense that can hold a team to under 50 yards rushing per game which they did several times early this year.

Would love to see them with a bye, doesnt really matter who they play (or course playing 2 games is better then 3) but anyone in the playoffs is capable of kicking anyone’s tail if they are not on their game.

Here’s to the 2nd season from a long time Cards fan in Philly … GO BIG RED

28. By chris on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

darren are the pro bowl jerseys gonna be for sale on the shop or somewhere?

29. By darrenurban on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

Chris —

I would assume so but probably not as yet.

30. By Pam on Dec 31, 2009 | Reply

If I were Antoine Boldin I would be really P….d off. He deserves it as much as Fitz this year.

31. By MattA on Jan 1, 2010 | Reply

Pam I agree, Anquan Boldin has really turned it on the second half of this season.