Campbell has procedure; still could play

Posted by Darren Urban on January 4, 2010 – 6:30 pm

Defensive end Calais Campbell had a surgical procedure done on his fractured left thumb, KTVK (Ch. 3) reported, and had video of Campbell in a sling and cast. Campbell told Ch. 3’s Brad Cesmat he still had a chance to play this week but nothing is certain; coach Ken Whisenhunt said earlier in the day he hoped Campbell could play with a cast. Cesmat also showed video of wide receiver Anquan Boldin, who sprained his ankle, with a crutch. Boldin had an MRI today. Whisenhunt continues to take a wait-and-see attitude, as usual, with all his injured players.

Tags: ,

25 Responses to “Campbell has procedure; still could play”

1. By JP on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Calias in a sling…Q with a crutch…..ugh….pretty depressing mental image.
    Darren, I never heard what happened with Ben Graham’s streak of non-touchback punts? I heard when he tied….. surely he must have punted some more?
    What a steller season Ben had. Wow! You know….he’s a big bruiser and must be a decent athlete considering his former career….I’d love to see him involved in some kind of a fake punt play in the playoffs….you sure wouldn’t be looking for it with the expectation for him to pin the recieving team back.

2. By Secret on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Any new DRC news as recent as Boldin’s and Campbell’s?

3. By Patrick on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

WE’ll pray for the injured. But there is no doubt, in WHIZ WE TRUST. We got his back, win or lose Sunday.

4. By darrenurban on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

JP —

I am not sure off the top of my head Graham’s touchback-less streak, but he had only three all season and none after the third game of the year.

5. By darrenurban on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Secret —

No, but with DRC I believe it’s all going to be rest and pain tolerance. Whiz did say his bruise wasn’t the same thing Breaston had in camp (which kept Breaston out a few weeks).

6. By Steve on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Makes you wonder if pulling back and being cuatious lead to some of the injurys. We have not had a game where so many key players were banged up in a long time.

I still think Coach Whiz did the right thing in showing nothing but going to be a hard game if any of the three can’t go.

Calais takes pressure off nine-0, DRC is a true PB shut down corner and Q is Q, who always seems to make the catch the get the emotion back into this team.

Being up in Denver I don’t get to hear much on the Cards. Any rumors about the Bidwells extending Whiz? I would hate to see him go into next season w/o an extension, especially if Pitt. has another bad year.

7. By darrenurban on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Steve —

There has been no talk of a Whisenhunt extension.

8. By Chuck on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

ok. so i know this blog is about injuries..which considering the players is scary….but even before these injuries every d&mn sports website pole say the Cards can’t beat the Packers. I can tell you this….I’m gonna put on my Cards shirt and get my 2 and 3 year old fired up for …LETS GO CARDINALS……last year I was wishful for a win…..this year its expected!!

9. By Kalib on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

How do you feel about this Sunday’s game? I honestly think that Kurt wills the team to victory, but with these injuries on both sides of the ball. Boldin missed the CAR postseason game last year and Fitz stepped up. I’m confident, very confident. But I have a lingering feeling.

10. By CARDSFAN1178124 on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Saw on ESPN that Adam Schefter reported the Cards are not optimistic about Q playing Sunday. I trust you more than ESPN; true or false?

11. By Rugbymuffin on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Wow.

Calias and Boldin on the shelf, and for what ?

I am a huge Whiz supporter, but he made some horrible decisions last week.

Not having Boldin against a blitz happy Packer team is not good, not good at all. They already had the advantage in that scenario, and without Q we are without our best hot read WR.

Amazing that in a such a long season, as is the NFL, that one bad decision can really counter act a whole lot of good.

But, it is what it is at this point. There is still a game to be played Sunday, and I know this team has the talent to overcome.

12. By Rugbymuffin on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Oh, and Darren,

Is it safe to assume Anquan Boldin has a knee, and ankle sprain? No major tears and what not ?

If so, than thank goodness. For Boldin’s long term sake

13. By Wampag on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

I am very worried about the Calais injury he is a huge part of this defense and to think if we lose the pressure up front against a good QB without DRC in the backfield we could be in serious trouble…this game scares me….GO CARDS

14. By Wampag on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

PFT is reporting that ESPN is reporting that Boldin MRI results aren”t good….have they said anything to you yet? when does Whiz address the press again?

15. By darrenurban on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Kalib —

I learned long ago my feelings won’t matter, so it doesn’t help to get too worked up either way. I will be thrilled with a win and disappointed with a loss. But I will wait to live through those emotions until Sunday.

16. By darrenurban on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

CardsFan1178124 —

At this point, I am not counting on Boldin being available, but stranger things have happened.

17. By darrenurban on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Rugby —

You can argue the Boldin point with some of the other WRs available. But it was unrealistic to not have Campbell — a second-year player — play at all. Dockett and B-Robinson were already benched. You only have so many defensive linemen.

18. By cardinalconvert on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Don’t you guys worry. Whiz will get extended. About Q, we may have to hold him out of the GB game and hope for a victory. If Cardinals do win, Q will be essential for the next several games (I hope) I know it is risky

19. By darrenurban on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Rugby —

No, Q doesn’t have any major tears. But right now, I am pessimistic about his availability this week.

20. By darrenurban on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

I have not heard anything official. We may get an update today, but more likely, Whiz won’t address it until after practice tomorrow.

21. By Jmondo on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

I’d love to have Boldin play, but if he can’t go… I thinkt hat Doucet will be able to make an impact.

22. By Wyoming Cards Fan on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    What is the word on ticket sales? Did they sell out on Monday? Will all of the seats set up for the Fiesta bowl, including 4th level, be sold?

23. By darrenurban on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Wyoming —

Tickets are not yet sold out. I am sure I would have heard if it was otherwise. As for seating, the extra seats will not be used for the first-round playoff game. If the Cards host the NFC Championship, I’m sure that will change.

24. By Wisconsin on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Guys I am sorry about Q and DRC it shouldn’t have happened but even if you lose to the Packers this weekend you will have plenty of chances with the talent on your team.

25. By Jesse Robles on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

TWO things, ONE is that the Cardinals have not lost back-to-back games this year, so hopefully that will continue this week. Second is that the Cards play the best when no one gives us a chance, and no one is giving us the slightest chance. I have no doubt with having 19 out of the 22 starters healthy and this is the playoffs, anything can happen. I believe, and I am just happy the majority of Packer fans I know were dumb enough to go to the last regular season game instead of the playoffs?? I have my tickets, just like all season, and were gonna make it loud and I will be waving my RED TOWEL like there is no tomorrow!! WE DO THIS TOGETHER!!! LETS GO CARDS!!!