• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Campbell staying positive

Posted by Darren Urban on January 5, 2010 – 5:00 pm

I ran into Calais Campbell in the locker room today while waiting for Brian St. Pierre, and the big defensive end — despite wearing his left arm in a sling (he has to keep his repaired thumb elevated) — sounded good. He was taking some good-natured grief from teammates while insisting he will play Sunday. When I asked if he planned to play, I got that look that said it may have been the dumbest question I could have asked (and maybe it was). Campbell, as coach Ken Whisenhunt said Monday, can play with it casted and that’s what he plans to do. He also didn’t seem worried it would affect his play. The best part, he said, was that even though he probably wouldn’t get to practice much if at all, the fact the Cards already got to prepare for the Packers last week puts him ahead of the game.

The other key injured Cards — Anquan Boldin and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie — weren’t around when I was down there. I think there is a confidence DRC will be able to find his way back to the field after he bruised his knee. Boldin seems to leave the most doubts because of his bad ankle, and it may be tough for him to get back. Then again, the Cards can look at the glass half-full two ways — one, that Boldin is the type who could play through it, or on the flip side, the Cards survived the one game Boldin missed this season fairly well (a 41-point performance in Chicago).

I’m sure Whisenhunt will have a full update Wednesday, although I’d expect a lot of “we have to wait and see.” In the meantime, the Cards begin on-field prep for the Packers — part II — tomorrow, hoping their defense has DRC and Campbell Sunday.

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “Campbell staying positive”

1. By Logan Cooper on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Let’s just hope he finds out if he is dressing sooner than the bears game.

2. By Steve on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Thats is great news!!

We need a healthy D-line to get after Rodgers and disrupt his passing.

If DRC can be out there with his catch up speed not affected too much, Rodgers will be forced to hold the ball a second longer giving nine-0 and Calais time.

3. By John on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

It was campbell I wanted in the 1st round even though I’ve become a huge drc fan. Campbell has worked very hard and has really played like a vet. I wish him well and hope he can play to his full capability. Destroy the pack cards.

4. By scott on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

darren:

why no statement on the boldin mri? espn is reporting that the cardinals are saying q is doubtful for sunday.

any truth to that?

thanks!

5. By darrenurban on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Scott —

Everything I know is in the above blog post. I’m not surprised there is no official announcement; I am sure the MRI just said no major damage. He’s got a sprained ankle, and we saw what that meant earlier this year.

6. By Jesse Robles on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Yes LOGAN!!! :)

7. By TW805 on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Scott-

I’m really surprised that you think ESPN has valid information as opposed to a team reporter. Remember, this is the agency that finds Twitter to be a valid source of journalism information.

8. By Aaron on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

I really like Boldin as a player, but this team has proven on multiple occasions that they can win without him. And I believe the offense is better now with Doucet than it was when Urban had to step in as #3. We did just fine for two playoff games last year and we did just fine against the Bears this year (not that they have turned out to be much of a test for anyone, but still).

Campbell getting pressure and DRC having the speed to keep up with the receivers, who LOVE to catch those 50+ yard catches from Rodgers, are the two keys that we need to be concerned about.

9. By Pay Dockett! on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

i remember ron wolfley saying in one of those pod casts that DRC is the spear point of the secondary. his analysis i think has been proven this season, and that is why i believe DRC is the most critical player to return out of the three.

10. By Boondock on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

I was actually glad Antonio Smith left via free agency last off-season so Calais could get some PT. A beast out of the U, still shocked he fell all the way to us in the 2nd round. He will man up and club fools with his cast!

11. By Joe2 on Jan 5, 2010 | Reply

Big ol’ Calais is gonna swing that cast around like a club and beat those packers to death. And if he blocks a pass with that cast it will sail into the air like it was hit by a baseball bat. You just watch, he’ll be a one man wrecking crew.
    DRC is gonna play well. Hell, he already played thru turf toe earlier this season and thats a killer injury.
    I dont know about Q, but he was walking with that crutch carrying it, not using it when I saw him.

12. By CARDSFAN1178124 on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

Didn’t Q miss the Giants game too?

13. By teejay723 on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

Play the way you played in the playoffs last year and i have no doubt we will be back in the superbowl. best of luck to ya…….go cards

14. By Ken on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

I have been a Cardinals fans since the Neil Lomax days and it is a good feeling having the team in the playoffs for a second year in a row. I’ve been looking at the espn and nfl websites trying to get some information on this weekends game and the Cardinals once again are not getting to much respect. But, in games that mean something to this team they come out play like no other team in the NFL does. Sundays game is one with a purpose, so let’s shock the World Cards!!

15. By Aaron Lone-Eagle on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Well this has nothing to do with the topic at hand regarding Calais, But it is Cardinal talk. I don’t know about the rest of you but it feels like De Ja Vous to me. The Cardinals are Allegedly limping into the play-offs and once again have no chance. Hell the cardinals might as well just watch the game from home, because according to all sources, the Packers have already won this game, and Rodgers is the MVP. My question to you Darren is other than the obvious, what do the Cardinals have to do to get some respect. Do people actually realize that the Packers have yet to really play the Cardinals, and do people actually think that this team is emotionally broken because they lost a meaningless game. As I was watching the game on Sunday, I could see it in the players faces on the sidelines, they wanted in the game so bad, just to protect the nest. It had to be painful the the entire team, to be stomped at home. Me personally, if I am the Packers, i would be weary. Ther Cards are not laying down this week. One more thing Darren, All reports say Q most likely isn’t playing, is that a legit report? I know they can win without him, but it is so much easier with him. The Packers are not the Bears.

16. By Kevin George on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

There is no such thing as a dumb question…well except maybe for this one…..is the team going all red or are they going back to the red/white uni’s for Sunday?

17. By darrenurban on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

Cardsfan1178124 –

No. He actually had one of the team’s longest plays of the year that game, that 44-yard catch-and-run.

18. By darrenurban on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

Aaron –

In terms of Q, we will see. I wouldn’t be betting on him playing, but we are still a few days away. The respect thing will come, I think, if they play well and win this weekend. But again, respect doesn’t get you much. It’s not going to impact a win or a loss.

19. By darrenurban on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

Kevin –

Not a dumb question. But I don’t know the answer.

20. By CARDSFAN1178124 on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

oh yeah! that sweet back hand catch on the sideline! He was dinged up though!

21. By Jim Bob AZ on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

” the cardinals might as well just watch the game from home, because according to all sources, the Packers have already won this game, and Rodgers is the MVP.”
    Please tell me where you have seen this as I have only seen one person pick the Packers so far. Everyone always complains that their team isn’t getting enough respect. When you play in a week conference for the past few years it’s hard to earn that respect. No one is saying that the Cardinals are not a talented team, they are just saying that there are more flashy/trendy teams out there. The Cardinals do not have a huge fan base so they are not going to get the attention that Dallas gets. Money talks. Win the games and then you can talk. losing in the superbowl gets you nothing in the league or the media.

22. By B 4 real on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

Jim Bob, your a DB! You must be a Cheese Head.