DRC “100 percent,” Rolle better, Q waits

Posted by Darren Urban on January 8, 2010 – 1:03 pm

It’s Friday, so it’s time for the final injury update of the week. As usual, they come with the caveat that “there is still two days until the game” so things can change. But overall, the Cards have to feel better than they did a couple days ago:

– Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (knee, toe) proclaimed himself “100 percent” and frankly looked on the practice field like he had never had an injury. “If I’d sit out, I’d probably go crazy,” he said.

– Guard Deuce Lutui (back) returned to practice fully;

– Safety Antrel Rolle (thigh) did a lot and while he said he felt good to do his first significant work in two weeks was a big deal, he still didn’t go 100 percent, saying he pushed it “about 75, 80 percent.” It felt good though. He plans to start, if coach Ken Whisenhunt is OK with it. “If he lets me — he told me I have a bad attitude,” Rolle joked. “He might not let me play. But I think I’ll be OK.”

– DE Calais Campbell (thumb) feels good about playing. He is getting recasted today with a lighter cast to play, although he said he wasn’t sure how it would be constructed and if/howmany fingers will be exposed and usable.

– Wide receiver Anquan Boldin (ankle, knee) remains the question mark, which we all knew. He said the same things: He’s improving, we’ll see how he is on Sunday, because he will be a game-day decision. He’s also being very matter-of-fact. “You’re going to get injured,” Boldin said. “I’m just thankful I didn’t tear anything.”

“It’s tough when you have a high-ankle sprain and an MCL sprain,” Boldin added. “If I can go, I will be out there. I am doing everything in my power to make sure I am able to go Sunday. Trust me, if I’m not able to go, it won’t be anything that I didn’t do. I have doctors at my house at night pocking and prodding, acupuncture, everything possible.”

Somebody jokingly asked Boldin if he was going to hang out in his locker on game day to make sure no one took his stuff. Boldin laughed long and hard, adding through his grin, “No comment.”

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “DRC “100 percent,” Rolle better, Q waits”

1. By Kevin on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

I’m relatively new to football and all its idiosyncrasies, so I apologize if this is an amateur question, but is it ever part of a team’s strategy to intentionally play up an injury so that the opposing team has to factor in more variables in their book? Is it possible that Q is doing better than he is reporting, or is there no reason to bother with such strategies?

2. By newtman on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Good news for sure! Go Men….AZ needs ya

3. By Bobf on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Thank the good Lord!!

I love Q and he’s a great player, but the reality is we need the other guys more for this particular game especially.

4. By Year2Remember on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Glad to here that DRC-or Dr. C as I like to say- is healthy. No doubt Campbell will get at least 1 sack. Rolle will be nice to see in the secondary. I hope Q is able to play, but Doucet is looking good lately.

Go Cards! This one counts!

5. By Patrick on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

The locker Q to Q was an LOL..geeez that’s funny. Even Q laffed..which is Good, so we got that going for us;)

6. By darrenurban on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Kevin —

That’s why we are here, to answer questions. No apologies ever necessary.

Yes, many teams like to keep a vagueness to their injury situations for just those reasons. The Cardinals are one of those teams. But it’s tough. You can’t hide if a guys is practicing or not; there is an injury report, and no one would keep a guy out of practice just for deception. That’s counterproductive. Personally, I don’t get some of it. I mean, if I am the Packers, I am preparing like Boldin will play. If he doesn’t, you can always ramp it down. Let’s say there was a question if Charles Woodson was going to play this week (and there isn’t) with his bad shoulder. The Cards will assume he is playing, and if he didn’t, all the better for them.

7. By Will on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Kevin,
    While a team can technically be fined for doctoring up their injury report (pun intended), they get away with it all the time. Evil Little Bill in NE does it all the time. If a team doesn’t report an injury, the league will sometimes come down on them, but if there are extra guys on there with “questionable” strains, pulls etc., who’s going to argue with them. Even 9-0 and Q put themselves on the injury list in preseason with what were supposedly hamstring injuries, though they were more likely wallet injuries.

8. By Rugbymuffin on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

That last blurb is a classic. To bad no one caught it on video.

Urban, YOU ARE THE MAN! Thank you for the full report.

This team can overcome Boldin sitting out need be, but it was the fact that Boldin was hurt, AND 4 other starters.

9. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Great news about DRC. I’m sure Breaston and Doucet are eager to step in if Q can’t make a serious go of it.

As for motivation, all 9 SI.com writers have picked the Packers to beat the Cardinals at home in the wildcard game…

10. By Wampag on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Man you gotta love Q you just gotta GO CARDS good to hear about the rest of the D….wish I could be there

11. By Pay Dockett! on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Ottis Fan:
    I looked at that and noticed that none of the predictions were the same… except pack over cards. now we know that none of those writers will be perfect in their predictions! :)

12. By spitfire772 on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

13 of 14 predictors on espn.com are predicting the Packers to win. I say predictors, meaning that 12 are people, and 2 are computer simulations. It’s pathetic, if you ask me. But it’s the best way for the Cards to play because they play best as an underdog.

13. By Joe2 on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Kevin-

Coaches and players will exploit any advantage. As far as playing up an injury, I’ve seen cornerbacks and safeties go limping around and then on the very next play do a pick and go dance around. On our team, Rolle and Dr C have both done this. Is it baiting?
    Bilichick in NE is the master, but he’s blatant about it. He could have a guy get run over by a tractor and he’ll act like he’s not hurt. Coach Whiz plays it really cool, but I think he just doesnt let ya know youre being messed with. He keeps tight control of what gets revealed — its not by accident.

14. By pakrbakr52 on Jan 9, 2010 | Reply

GO PACK!!!!!

15. By jcgarcia977 on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Of course majority of people look down on cards, plus they are still lingering on last weeks game which was important but definitely a good strategy to Coach Whisenhunt’s play. I feel this week like many others,, that it will be a totally different ball game and of course i’m in favor for the cards! They always come back with a shocking suprise and they bring it to the field!!! GO CARDINALS TAKE IT TO NEW ORLEANS!!!!!

16. By tom manoogian on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

it’s another big game,why would anyone think q is going play.when he’s traded he will to a team that needs him as a name ,but not a playoff team because he couldn’t help them in a playoff game,he would be hurt.he will get traded to a team that has no chance to make the playoffs,that way the city get’s excited for the season and they don’t have to worry about him getting hurt before a big game.