The Question On Q

Posted by Darren Urban on January 8, 2010 – 9:50 am

Before the Cardinals take the field for practice today, this is the reality: No one will know today if Anquan Boldin will play Sunday. Not coach Ken Whisenhunt, not Boldin, and certainly not anyone else. I don’t know if Boldin will even try to practice today, but my guess is he’ll be listed as questionable on the injury report and then give it a shot in pregame Sunday to figure out how he feels.

We know Boldin will gut it out if he can. The desire to play reminded me of something he said a couple weeks ago on the “Big Red Rage” radio show when he mentioned he had just been thinking about missing only two games after having his face obliterated in New York.

“I was like, ‘What was I thinking coming back two week after that injury?’ ” Boldin said. “Had it been anyone else I would have called him an idiot. Honestly, I would have been, ‘What is this guy doing?’ “

That’s the thinking behind everyone saying Q still might play. Normally, with a bad high left ankle sprain, along with an MCL sprain in the left knee, playing wouldn’t really be an option. If this was the middle of the regular season, I doubt Boldin’s status would even be a question; if the Cards felt OK sitting Boldin in Chicago with the right ankle sprain earlier this season, I’d guess they’d like to do it again now.

But there’s a lot less leeway now. One and done. Everyone knew this wasn’t good (like Kurt Warner, pictured below talking to Boldin right after the injury during last week’s game). If Boldin can play — and be effective, that’s a key, because the Cards do have some depth at receiver — they need him to go. But it’s a big question, one no one can answer. Larry Fitzgerald understood this when he was asked this week if he believed Boldin would be able to play.

“I only went to school for 16 months before I got a chance to come to the NFL,” Fitzgerald deadpanned. “I need to probably go back for about seven more years to get my doctor’s certificate.

“I hope he’s out there, we need him. Having him out there makes us a lot better team.”

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to “The Question On Q”

1. By Wampag on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

he is the tough in this team….although Timmy has shown flashes but he is the gear that makes us really really go…however early has looked better and better..GO CARDS…and darren whats going on how come stub hub has tickets for $50 ANYONE GOT A PLANE come get me

2. By Mike"Pay Q" on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

We need Q this game. Woodson will pretty much negate Fitz, so Q would be huge in this game. I hope he can go. If he doesn’t it will bring out all the idiots who say we are better without him.

Get Well Anquan we true Cards fans appreciate you!

3. By Joe2 on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

I respectfully disagree. I think both Whiz and Q do have a pretty good idea if Q will go, and the answer is “yes,” but why tip your hand? I was so relieved to hear the MRI results were ankle and not knee. Q is not practicing just to let the ankle heal this week. After all, he already practiced for this team just last week.

4. By darrenurban on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Joe2 —

I appreciate your optimism. I’m not sure it’s based in reality right now though.

5. By Wampag on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren- you’ve watched him this week you’ve watched him his career here, you know Q….what do you think? what does your gut tell you? and did you see Fitzy got 4th best hands on NFL network…..GO CARDS

6. By darrenurban on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Didn’t see the NFL Network list. As far as Q, and if we are going with gut and just being around here, I am not counting on him playing. But will I be surprised if he is active Sunday? No.

7. By Joe2 on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, high ankle sprains are notoriously unpredictable, so they most likely wont know for certain until game day, but I bet they have a better idea than theyre letting on.
    After the injury Q had ice on the knee, not the ankle. And its not a re-sprain of the right ankle. Also, we play Sunday instead of Saturday, a big little detail.

8. By Joe2 on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Oops, no disrespect, Darren — I was typing my last post and didnt see your answer to Wampag. I trust your judgement.

Its a funny thing, but other players injuries could influence this decision as much as Q’s own injury, depending on if they sit Q then they could make roster moves to help give depth behind other guys who are going to play hurt.

9. By slapdog on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

I know we need Q for a successful postseason. He is the toughest offensive guy on the team and a real receiving threat. As much as I hate to say this I hope Q sits out and rests his knee and ankle. If he goes to soon he may not be ready for the second game if we get by Green Bay,…which I think we will,…even without Q. We have great back up receivers,…so I say ‘Rest Boldin” for the next game. We are going to need him 100% healthy. slapdog

10. By az1965 on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Unfortunately, it does not seem Boldin will be able to play on Sunday. Even if he does, how effective will be hobling on one leg? We should shelf him for the wild card and hopefully he will be ready for division round, if we advance.

One goal of the “other plan” for week 17 game was to avoid injuries and we miserably failed that goal, took physical beating, and were emabarrassed on the field. I can’t recall a single game last two years where three key starters got injured like this.

11. By darrenurban on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Joe2 —

No disrespect taken. No worries. As for Q’s latest thoughts, click here.

12. By Kris B. on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Someone started a potition to keep boldin in AZ, http://www.payquan.com , I know there is a Cardinals news letter, I was wondering if you could link it in there, cause I know you can reach more people than I can. Even if you can`t I`m gonna keep tryin to tell everyone, Q NEEDS TO STAY IN AZ, say what you will, but to me Q is the hart of this offence!!!

13. By darrenurban on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Kris B. —

I’m thinking the best I can do is approve this comment. The link is right here. Try the message boards too.

14. By gopackfromohio on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Some Cards fans found their way to the Packers website so I figured I would return the favor. It really doesn’t make any difference if Boldin plays or not, the Packs defense is too good. You guys have no answer for Clay Mathews and guaranteed there will be some twists in the Packs blitz packages that will keep Warner off-balance. If the Pack keeps pressure on Warner then he could be good for three or four picks since he is about as mobile as a statue. So, good luck on Sunday (you’re gonna need it!) and, as they say, may the best team win. And I just have to add – Go Pack Go

15. By fitz 4 mt rushmore on Jan 9, 2010 | Reply

Here is reality…Quan isn’t playing!!! Let’s deal with it and try to advance to next week.

16. By Wampag on Jan 9, 2010 | Reply

hello gopackfromohio…what did the CARDS fans post on the pack site??? GO CARDS GO