The talk of Warner retirement

Posted by Darren Urban on January 10, 2010 – 9:39 am

All of a sudden this morning, the idea that quarterback Kurt Warner could be playing his final game today before retirement has gained some media steam. It’s no surprise since Warner has considered the topic after each of the last few seasons. The “will-he-or-won’t-he” isn’t anything in concrete though; I had to smile when I read the ESPN.com report: “He always could change his mind, but this likely will be the 38-year-old Warner’s final NFL season.” Well, you could say that every other year too. Warner is always closest to retirement right at this time. As soon as he gets a month out from playing, he gets back to where he wants to play again.

I know two things: When the concussion happened this season — and Warner already was having deep thoughts about being injured the last couple of years, along with those injuries’ long-term effects — Warner became very introspective. I wouldn’t be shocked that, given those considerations along with everything else, Warner would actually pull the trigger and retire.

Then again, he’s got one year left on his contract, and when he signed it, he made it clear he wanted to see it through. That’s always been important to him too. Whenever the Cards’ season ends, Warner will be asked about it (probably a few times). We’ll see if he says “See ya” or if he says something like, “I’m going to take some time to think about it.” If it’s the latter, I think he’s going to have a tough time walking away.

Tags:

11 Responses to “The talk of Warner retirement”

1. By scott on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

darren;

i hit your column right after i saw this on espn. my thought was kind of the same as yours – although mine is just based on how kurt has handled himself in the past. there are always issues to consider but its tough to walk away in the middle of a contract.

2. By Vivek on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the clarification ! I was also puzzled by the contract scenario…besides, I am sure Warner knows the importance of the transition at QB, especially for an explosive offense like Cards’. I am sure all you folks will stress that fact to him too !!

3. By Luis on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Retirement, if he feels it’s the best decision for him so be it. I would like to see him on the sideline as a quarterbacks coach or offensive coordinator if he chooses to retire as a player. Kurt Warner had helped change the football culture here in Arizona. I would hate to see him leave but one can’t stop the inevitable….

4. By darrenurban on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Luis —

I talked to Kurt last summer about coaching. He’s got too many other things in his life he’d rather do. When he is done playing, he won’t be coaching.

5. By tom manoogian on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

he’a a father of what,7 children,he’s made his name in the nfl and life in general.i say get out while you can,and still be able to play and enjoy your children.he really has nothing else to prove as far as football,by playing another year,he is risking injury,can’t be worth it.he has helped turn the culture of the cardinals around,and NO matter what happens today,he can hold his head up high.good luck kurt,been a cards fans for 47 years,i thank you for coming to the cards when many thought you would be nuts to come here.except for retiring his number in arizona and the hall of fame,that’s all you will here about kurt and football.go cards,it’s showtime in about 90 minutes.

6. By Eazy E on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Kurt is such a great player and person. But I just don’t think he will retire after the season unless we win the super bowl. He is a hall of famer first ballot hands down.

7. By robin puppo on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

I have adored Kurt Warner since day one, and have an autographed ball from the Super Bowl win with the Rams. His story reads like a fairy tale, and I cannot think of anyone more deserving. It’s true, one man does not make a team, but any team that has Kurt has a blessing in their pocket. I would love to watch him play forever, but he will know when it’s the righr time to leave. I want to see him take one more win in the Super Bowl. GOD BLESS YOU, KURT WARNER, AND CONGRATSTO THE CARDINALS ON THEIR MUCH DESERVED WIN. I someday would like to see him play, but with hubbie out of work for over a year, will keep gameday near and dear to my heart on the tube. Now, let’s take on the Saints. Kurt will someday retire, but not today, and never in a true fam’s heart. I’ll get the tissues ready for when he gets into Canton.

8. By Kim on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

I have followed Kurt since the day he stepped on the St. Louis Rams field that game Trent green got hurt. He is amazing, and has become a hero to me, especially in the past 6 years as it seemed everyone stopped believing in him but me (and Kurt). Yes, I followed him to the NY Giants for his short stay there and was ecstatic to hear he would go to the Arizona Cardinals. (My daddy and I had been St Louis Cardinal fans for years until they left for Arizona; Kurt brought me back home!) Though i’d love to see him in this year’s Super Bowl, he does not need it to be a hall of famer. He proved his worthiness long ago and if he does not end up in the hall of fame, it is the greatest injustice in football history ever.

9. By Secret on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Yeah I’m with Eazy E on that, Warner shouldn’t retire unless he wins the superbowl. In fact, I would prefer it end like that for him: it would be an inspiring story with an epic ending.

10. By Mark Patrick on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

NO RETIREMENT UNTIL THE CONTRACT IS FULFILLED, OR HE WINS THE SUPER BOWL AGAIN. GO WARNER GO.

11. By dewet on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Kurt is the best the Cardianals have ever seen and has turned this team around. I have been a Redbird fan since moving to the valley 17 yrs ago and this has been the only bright spot in all those years. Hate to see it end but I can live with whatever Kurt decides as he disserves it.