Warner’s possible last game might not be

Posted by Darren Urban on January 19, 2010 – 9:26 am

I’ll have a story analyzing Kurt Warner’s situation later today, but I wanted to mention this first — even if Warner does eventually retire, that game in New Orleans might not have been his last. Remember, Warner is an alternate for the Pro Bowl — which alternate was never announced, but given that he was fourth in the fan voting, it wouldn’t be a stretch to think he’s the first alternate — and the NFC is guaranteed to lose one of its three Pro Bowl quarterbacks. Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers is a Pro Bowler, but so are the Saints’ Drew Brees and the Vikings’ Brett Favre, and one of those guys are going to the Super Bowl. Since the Pro Bowl is the week before the Super Bowl this year, all Pro Bowlers on the Super Bowl teams will be out.

And that should put Warner in the game. UPDATE: As has been pointed out by Emmett below, Donovan McNabb is apparently the first NFC alternate quarterback. I checked with the NFL and the teams are the ones left to decide whether or not to announce which alternate spots their players are named, and the Cards are a team that does not specify. UPDATE II: Now Emmett is saying Romo is the No. 2 alternate. Guess Warner doesn’t have much of a chance to go.

Other Cardinals could still sneak it. There’s still a chance tackle Levi Brown could get in, depending on what alternate he was, since the Vikings’ Bryant McKinnie and the Saints’ Jon Stinchcomb are among the three tackles. And with the Saints’ Darren Sharper at free safety, Antrel Rolle has a shot as an alternate. It works the other way too. The Vikings’ Antoine Winfield was named as a replacement at cornerback today; while nothing official has been released it is a safe bet Winfield is replacing injured Cardinals’ cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

UPDATE III: I did forget to mention special-teamer Sean Morey, who is an alternate somewhere behind Vikings special-teamer Heath Farwell.

Tags: , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Warner’s possible last game might not be”

1. By Secret on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

throw 5 touchdowns in a quarter warner!!!

2. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren,

If you could, in your story later today, mention the financial ramifications of Kurt choosing to retire instead of playing in 2010. I sure hope he will play in 2010 to collect all of that 23 million contract, but if he doesn’t, just how much – if any – of that 15 million dollar signing bonus is put back in the Card’s coffers (i.e. is the signing bonus pro-rated)? I don’t think Kurt’s $4 million salary in 2010 wouldn’t count against the salary cap if Kurt retires, but I’m no expert.

As you reported here on March 3 of 2009 (“Warner Back Where He Belongs”), “That impact Warner will try to provide comes with a reward in the form of a $15 million signing bonus, along with $4 million salaries in each of the two seasons.”

3. By Brandon on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Id love to see Warner play and have a good game, i think Dansby is a key Cardinals who never gets recognition nationally. But of all the Pro Bowlers and alternates i really don’t agree with Levi being there. He has been average at best this year.

4. By darrenurban on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

That info will be part of the story.

5. By kauaicardsfan on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

I really dont like this new Pro Bowl before the Superbowl, First off, if the Cards made it to the Superbowl, we would not see any of them in the Pro Bowl cause they would be getting ready for the Superbowl. Kind of dumb!
    Also it should be back in Hawaii ! The teams travel all across the US the whole season, Hawaii actually will feel like a reward for them.

Darren, Do you have an idea or reasoning why the Commissioner made this change? I am thinking it had to be a Financial Decision cause nothing else makes sense?

6. By darrenurban on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Kauai —

The NFL was hoping a game on the mainland, in the same place of the Super Bowl right before the Super Bowl, would draw more fans and more media. They also figured having it before the ultimate end game of the Super Bowl would make it more relevant.

7. By Emmett on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Philly link I read has Donovan McNabb listed as the NFC’s first pro bowl alternate for the quarterback position.

8. By darrenurban on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Emmett —

Interesting. I wouldn’t be surprised, if the Saints make the Super Bowl, for Favre to bail as well, meaning the NFC could need two.

9. By James Sancto (the English Cardinal) on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren, on the subject of free agency, what do you think will happen at the ROLB position? Berry and Okeafor are scheduled to be free agents (independent of the result of the CBA), so will Cody brown be the starter?
    Also, do you think Antrel Rolle’s contract will be extended, seeing as he is set to earn $12 million?

10. By TBru on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Bills hire Chan Gailey

Grimm might be around another season. I hope Russ gets what he wants, but love the Grimm/Wiz combo in AZ

11. By darrenurban on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

James —

I do not think Berry or Okeafor will be back, but it’s way too early to know exactly what will happen at the spot. They will try and work something with Rolle, I believe, but that doesn’t guarantee they can.

12. By Jesus on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

PAY DOCKETT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    come on cardinals fans get board
    PAY DOCKETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. By Dan on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Warner won’t retire.

14. By michael on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

forget the pro-bowl….get someone to fix the defense…its hard to watch all the way from dallas, tx..lol…but still luv the cards

15. By Andy on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

At first, I didn’t really like the idea of the current pro-bowl situation but the old format was about rewarding the players with a trip to Hawaii. The new format is about rewarding the fans with a game that might actually be watched.

I still don’t see how players can put 100% effort into the game though. There is really no incentive for them to risk injury.

Sadly, this isn’t baseball or basketball where the risks are relatively low when it comes to an exhibition game. The NFL needs to do away with the pro-bowl and just honor the players.

16. By Dick Buroker on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

I sure hope the Cardinals can get a deal done with Bolden and Docket. These guys are great players and real team leaders.

17. By Peter in Canada on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

I just read the Warner retirement piece and it’s interesting you mention Favre. I used to like Favre but in the last three years ke’s shown himself to be a selfish me first kind of person. I was disappointed to see the Vikings win for that reason. Warner strikes me as being the antithesis of Favre. While, like most, I would love to see him come back, I feel if he does decide to retire he will make it as easy on the team as he possibly can.

18. By Emmett on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Donovan McNabb is in fact the first-team alternate. Tony Romo is the second-team alternate. Kurt’s not going to Miami, not that he cares.

19. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Love that photo of Kurt and Whiz with your Warner story (The Case of Kurt).

I must also note that the quality of this year’s game photos on azcardinals.com has improved over last year, specifically when it comes to proper white balance (i.e. no yellowish color-cast to game photos, especially indoor games). Do you have a dedicated team photographer on your staff, or is that kind of work contracted out? I didn’t see any photographer listed in the TEAM > STAFF section of the website.

20. By darrenurban on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

Actually, that’s Chris Miller hugging Kurt.

As for team photographers, we contract it out to a couple of people, and I (very rarely) use AP photos as well. Much of the around-the-complex shots or charity stuff is just me using a camera, doing my best (such as the locker room shots on the two day-after stories). Part of the improvement may also be with the new and improved website, because our game photos have always looked pretty good to me and maybe they are just translating better.

21. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Ahh, I thought that might have been a little to “emo” for Whiz. Should have read the caption more closely (but hey, I’m a photographer, not a writer ;))

Thanks for the photographer insights. Yes, there are a lot of factors that go into color display. No two monitors are going to look exactly the same, especially when they are on the other side of the country (not to mention differences in brand, resolution, Mac/PC, LCD/CRT, etc.,). Just part of the madness photographers have to deal with when it comes to displaying their work on the internet.

Good story and summary. Covered all the bases and then some.

22. By Gags on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

What do u guys think should happen to Bryant McFadden? Personally, i would like to see Toler play as a starter next yr

23. By mike hadzinski on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    This offseason we have like 15 key free agents in your opinion who has the best chance to stay here and who do you think leaves also even though they said they would never re-do a players contract if they have more than a year left what is happening with him meaning D.Dockett? If gandy leaves it would be hard to not take the Bonna fide tackle in the draft Bruce Campell? sorry for the immature comments i made before i was just upset the cards lost the way they did
    Mike Hadzinski

24. By darrenurban on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

I think they have to take a look at Dockett, although that doesn’t guarantee anything will happen. I doubt they take a big-time tackle even if they let Gandy leave; that’s why they have drafted Keith and Herman Johnson. They want one of those guys to step up. Some of the key free agents are restricted — Lutui, Breaston, Sendlein, for instance — and won’t be going anywhere. Of the UFAs (and I will have a full roster breakdown in the next day or so) many of the older defenders like Okeafor, Robinson and Berry I don’t expect back, unless they are willing to take a reserve role on a one-year deal. Dansby is going to explore the market, and I’d guess there will be at least one team willing to give him the megadeal he craves.

25. By chris on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

mcnabb and romo pssh what have they done this season

warner 24-26 against the jags

i lost count on all the td passes in the bears game

or what about throwing more toutchdowns than incompletions

i doubt romo or mcnabb can ever try an of these

26. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

I just got a laugh when I read Bucky Brooks first mock draft posted today at NFL.com. He has the Cards drafting QB Sam Bradford (another former Heisman Trophy winner). Apparently Bucky:

1. didn’t watch any of the Cardinal’s postseason games (defense surrenders 90 points), and/or;

2. thinks that the Cards window of opportunity is over and will approach 2010 as a building year, and/or;

3. envisions Whiz enamored with another Heisman Trophy winner as his franchise QB of the future.

I’m glad Bucky isn’t my stockbroker.

I wonder where many of these “experts” do their research. Apparently they skip over the official team websites.

27. By darrenurban on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

Unless they are in love with Bradford — and I don’t see him lasting until No. 26 anyway — I would doubt they go with a QB there. If they did, they are basically saying Leinart can’t be the guy, and everything they have said so far doesn’t show that conviction.

28. By Jeff Gollin on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren – I’ve been wondering for a long time what the NFL salary cap policy is should a player opt to become a “player coach.”

An ideal situation for Kurt Warner (should he opt not to take the pounding of a full-time starter) might be to reverse roles with Matt Leinart – i.e. become the mentor and #2 or #3 backup to Leinart.

If something like that could be worked out, would there be a way for all or part of Warner’s salary (or incentive bonuses) to be applied to “coaching overhead” and not be applied to the cap?

I’ve always liked the idea of aging veterans being able to exit gracefully by assisting the young ‘uns for a year or two while they decide whether they might want to make coaching their full-time career.

Thoughts? Info?

29. By darrenurban on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

Jeff —

I’ve written this many times, Warner does not want to coach. This isn’t about money as much as time. The way Warner is, he’s either all in or all out. He either wants to start or walk away. There is no in-between.

But as for your other thought, no, if a player is on the roster, he must go by the player contract, and he can’t be given any extra money outside of that contract.

30. By Bruce Watson on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

Whatever the case maybe with Warner going to the Pro B or not, Arizona got more then there money for the great few years Kert played with them. I hope he comes back but I dont want to see him get hurt. Whatever the case God Bless Kert Warner and thank you for giving Az the respect thay needed.