Cards in Pro Bowl dwindling UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on January 20, 2010 – 11:19 am

Larry Fitzgerald isn’t going to play in the Pro Bowl because of injuries (Fitz is citing the knee he hurt against San Francisco), news that came out when the New York Giants announced Steve Smith is going to replace Fitzgerald. Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is already out because of his knee injury, and safety Adrian Wilson has said, with his wife expecting, he isn’t going to go. That would leave defensive tackle Darnell Dockett as the only Card, unless one of the Cards’ alternates ends up getting to play.

UPDATE: Thanks to Mike Sando, it’s been hashed out that alternates Kurt Warner, Antrel Rolle and Sean Morey still have a good chance to be invited to the Pro Bowl, given other possibly dropouts. Their status will be resolved based on who wins the NFC Championship game, since the Vikings and Saints each have multiple players that would have to drop out. Warner, it turns out, is a second alternate behind Donovan McNabb. So I guess that finally clarifies my ramblings of the other day. Sando suggests injuries would stop Rolle, but my guess is that Rolle — who said he was fine after getting concussed against the Saints — would desperately want to appear in his first Pro Bowl, especially since it’ll be at home in Miami.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Cards in Pro Bowl dwindling UPDATE”

1. By graves on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

Does anyone even watch the Pro Bowl?

2. By Bobf on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

I watch while I’m doing house work or a hobby. I’m sure Fitz’ “injury” isn’t too bad and he’s looking forward to a nice long vacation.

3. By John Rennecamp on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

I would ditch the pro bowl and have skills competions between the players. 40 yard dash, passing competitons, obstacle courses things like that. I think the players would be more receptive to that than playing a half-hearted meaningless game. Bragging rights would be a big thing for them.The pro bowl is for individual achievement so I think they should compete as individuals.

There used to be something like that but I don’t think they do it anymore.

4. By tbru on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

I liked the trip to Hawaii and the relaxed atmosphere of the post playoffs game. I have little to no interest in this pre Super Bowl format but it is still not as screwed up as the Thursday prime time first round draft show. And the uncapped year followed by a lock out disgusts me. Are you listening Roger?

5. By Flight Path on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

I was wondering when that Madden Curse would kick in. Troy’s kicked in early in the season. Now it’s Larry’s turn. Sad.

6. By kauaicardsfan on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

This new Pro Bowl format was really a bad decision, alot of the key players wont be able to make it cause 1) they are still in the playoffs 2) just got done with the playoffs and are still banged up ( ie Fitz) plus not enough time to heel cause its before the Superbowl.

They really need to go back to the old format having it after the Superbowl and send it back to Hawaii!

7. By joe67 on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

John I really like that idea. Something similar to what the NHL does the day or so prior to their meaningless All-Star game. Their skills comp probably attracts more attn than the game. The NFL would definetly attract a larger audience than the game.

8. By spitfire772 on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

Flight Path, since when is deciding not to play in the Pro Bowl part of the Madden Curse? The guys who get affected by the Madden Curse don’t even get that choice… because they don’t get to the Pro Bowl! If this is the worst the Madden Curse could offer, I’m just fine with it.

9. By wampag on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

hey D what is this: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=reilly_rick&id=4840493&sportCat=nfl

true?

10. By darrenurban on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Kurt is considering retirement? Holy crap. I hadn’t heard.

Show me one thing Kurt said in there he didn’t already say Sunday. All the national guys think they are providing some new perspective. With all due respect to Rick, he hasn’t been around Kurt all season, and then spends a couple of hours at his house and thinks he can judge what Warner will do by Kurt’s comments? Again, Kurt already said he would retire right now if he were to make that decision today — which is why he is waiting. We’re not even five days past the final game of the season.

11. By DoughBoy on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

I’m sure fitzgerald isn’t severely hurt, I’m sure it’s just soreness and bruises from the regular season. im sure many football players get hurt and either lie to doctors, just dont report it, or tell docs to keep it confidential.

finger fracture, thigh bruise, etc are usually enough to knock nba players out of the game, but not nfl players… shaq had a thigh bruise before, which was considered a mild nfl injury, but it knocked shaq out of 1 playoff game.

12. By darrenurban on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

DoughBoy —

I wouldn’t fret. Fitz was dealing with the knee fine. If the playoffs were going on, he’d be fine. But he’s done the Pro Bowl thing and it’s not even in Hawaii, so I’m guessing the motivation is lacking — and if he can rest up his knee and not go, all the better.

13. By chunk on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

i am glad that no cards r playin cause i want them to hav a nice long rest and hav an amzing season next season

14. By Secret on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

good. forget the pro bowl, its not important. focus on next season

15. By Rick on Jan 20, 2010 | Reply

The Pro Bowl is irrelevant. I don’t blame the players for bailing on the game. I just read that Vince Young is now in the Pro Bowl, if this doesn’t validate that the game is useless nothing will. Going to Miami is no incentive to play, the NFL really needs to rethink this event!!!

16. By John on Jan 21, 2010 | Reply

What is this Pro Bowl you speak of?

17. By Barry on Jan 21, 2010 | Reply

I want the time back that I used voting for these guys to be pro bowlers. Next year when I see the the pleas on this site to vote, I wont waist my time. If they dont care why should I. I think the Fitz excuse is a bit lame. SF game ? … come on