Report: Modkins to Bills as OC

Posted by Darren Urban on January 23, 2010 – 3:25 pm

Well, it turns out the Cardinals are losing an assistant coach to the Bills — it just turns out to be running backs coach Curtis Modkins instead of Russ Grimm. XTRA’s Mike Jurecki is reporting Modkins will become Buffalo’s offensive coordinator and work under new head coach Chan Gailey. The two worked together in Kansas City a couple of years ago before Todd Haley took over there. Cards coach Ken Whisenhunt was hoping to keep in coaching staff intact; instead, the Cards will have to find a third running backs coach in three seasons (Modkins basically swapped places with Maurice Carthon last year, after Carthon decided to join Haley in Kansas City rather than stay with the Cards).

Tags: , , ,

33 Responses to “Report: Modkins to Bills as OC”

1. By William on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

I’d much rather have him leave than Grimm.

2. By mike hadzinski on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

the least of our worries

3. By Adam on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

Wow, that is a bummer. Look at how much Tim and Beanie had progressed this season. We are losing a good coach in Modkins.

4. By Logan Cooper on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

Speaking of offensive coordinators are we going to hire a real legitimate one? I like whiz but he needs to focus on H.C and not be play calling.

To me he seems to love play calling a lotand is very controlling about it.
    If so make Grimm he’d coach and whiz the play
    caller?!?!

5. By Jcaswellsr on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

Maybe we can get coach to teach ball protection!

6. By Joe2 on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

If we lose Russ Grimm we have to fill three jobs.

7. By Barry on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

I agree…I don’t wanna see Russ Grimm leave us.

8. By darrenurban on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

Honestly, what part of the playcalling was poor this year? They won a ton of games and became more balanced as the season went on. They scored 45 offensive points in their playoff win. What issues did the Cards have with the head coach part that Whiz missed on?

9. By Logan Cooper on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

I’m not saying it was horrible. I was kidding about switching Russ and whiz.(tone never comes through when writing:).
    I liked his play calling, though it was very stale at times and he made many poor decisions decisions when it came to clock management.
    His play calling is great usually in the first half of
    games but tends to become very predictable to be honest.

Another question off topic.
    Do you think beanie will be starter next year?
    barring any unforseen hiccups?

I hope with all my heart that we run the ball more. :)!!

10. By Cards Fan on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

I agree with the good play calling… But by the sounds of the last post, it doesn’t sound like they are planning on bringing in a new o.c. and keeping it the same?

There has been an awful lot of negativity going on around about the Cards. All I know is for the last several years, I would have traded with the Cowboys and their success in a heart beat. Well, now both teams are at the same point, losing in the playoffs by 31 in the same round. With the edge going to the Cards because of the most recent super bowl appearance.

11. By Adam on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

Well said Darren.

12. By darrenurban on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

I think Beanie has a good shot to start, but I won’t discount Hightower. Beanie is going to have to beat him out by improving in his other phases of the game. And even if Beanie does start, Hightower is still going to get a chunk of playing time.

13. By Logan Cooper on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

When i post I am not trying to be negative at all.
    I am a diehard cards fan and these are just ideas and concerns that run through my head. That’s it.

I love that we can come on here and post and have Darren write back to us people who really have not a clue about the inner workings of an NFL team! :)

14. By darrenurban on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

At least from my end, no worries.

15. By John on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren do you think it’s possible we could get stump Mitchell to coach our guys? Last I remember wasn’t he with the skins and let go? Wouldn’t it be nice to have our history teaching our future?

16. By John on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

It’s funny how we have been to the superbowl and playoffs the last 2 years and through all these post everywhere, fans act like the sky is falling. I guess they forget all the years I sat in sundevil stadium watching 4-12 seasons. The fact that Whiz came in and turned it around, gives me confidence he can still win post-Warner.
    The question; if Warner leaves, do you see Pittsburgh West emerging? We have huge offensive lineman and good backs. Could you see a Leinart led team much more balanced with Wells putiting up 12-1400 yards and Hightower chipping in 600 more, while Leinart throws 20-25 passes a game?

17. By Kevin on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

I am not that worried about the coaching staff as minor changes will not be that big of a shake-up. The Cards are solid on offense and if Warner returns that game should be as good as it has been.

My concerns are on defense. I know we suffered a lot of injuries just before and during the playoffs (Campbell, Hayes, Rolle, DRC, etc.). I would like to see the Cards improve their depth in these areas. It would be nice if the Cards could find a free agent linebacker or true DE (since Bert is retired) to fit in as a starter. I believe we need help in the secondary too. I know that Toler will get better w experience but bring in someone to start where McFadden plays and make him a back up.

On offense I would like to see improvement at TE.

18. By Mike"Pay Q" on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

Logan, Why are people so CONSUMED with an OC? Sean Payton calls his own plays, so does Norv Turner, Brad Childress, Mike McCarthy, Andy Reid, Wade Phillips(defensive), Rex Ryan(defensive) and those are just the teams that made the playoffs. More head coaches call their own plays than don’t. I am more concerned with a HC who fires the DC after a bad super bowl drive, yet keeps one that gave up 90 points in 2 playoff games? And why does it matter if Beanie “starts” the last 6 games Beanie was ALWAYS in on the first drive of the game, and got a lot more carries that Hightower. Does it matter if he plays the VERY FIRST snap?

19. By Patrick on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Urb: Re Byrd, Off the rader…it occured to me watching him that he had natural receiver skills and some speed. Any thought on Cards’ part he might drop 10 pounds, be a possession/over the middle receiver like Boldin? With Doucett, freeing up the Cards to move Q for an LB? Actually, I’m torn, almost prefer to resign Q (after he was held out that game, he pops off but came back as the old Q, very, very explosive). Byrd might still play some TE in a pinch like our long snapper. Didn’t Byrd play with Matt? Ok, I teed this up for you to kill it, please don’t disappoint;)

20. By darrenurban on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

John —

I think there are a lot of possibilities. I’d be surprised if Whiz doesn’t already have a short list of names, though.

21. By darrenurban on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

John —

I definitely could see that happening (the concept, if not the actual stats). The defense will have to improve for that scenario, however.

22. By darrenurban on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

Patrick —

I don’t think Byrd, even if he drops weight, has the skills to be a wideout. He may just be a tweener body-type.

23. By Logan Cooper on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

Mike,
    I’m not consumed with it at all. Sorry if it comes out that way. Putting what I think in one phrase is “two heads are better than one” that’s it.

I honeslty don’t think our secondary is that bad. Most of our sacks came from great coverage more than quick pass rushers. it wasn’t until matt ware got hurt that things started breaking down and coverage wasn’t as good.

We need two good outside linbacker pass rushers and a big upgrade at nose tackle this offseason and I think we will be perfectly fine.

24. By shannon robinson on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

Folks – we don’t get to sign free agents unless we lose one under the ‘no CBA’ rules. I think the Cards are allowed small contract free agents – under 3 million? I count 34 guys under contract or who will be restricted free agents so that means they’re not leaving (not counting futures contracts). I think Mr. Graves will put a Transition tag on Dansby which is a little more affordable than a Franchise tag. Now that Bertand retired there are a handfull of over 30 guys, some of whom will come back ( Kreider, Becht, Graham, Rackers, and maybe St. Pierre and Morey), others won’t. There are a group of seven or eight good players that will be resigned and will have to compete for jobs (Walker, Beisel, Hightower, Dykes, Adams,Jeremey Clark, Abdullah, and Broughton). That leaves important and valuable FA signings with Bridges and Ware. Then you have Rolle, Lutui and Dockett to renegotiate to an extended contract. Add Q and Warner as big question marks – add seven draft choices and that’s your roster. Not much shopping this year. Those seven draft choices are the only real creative decisions that can be made for improvement. I wish I knew the salaries for 2009 so this would really make sense. Darren – how close do you think I am on this?

25. By Jesus Loves You on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

I think we need a legit offensive coordinator. Too much control in Whiz hands. I think we play to conservative when he’s calling the plays. The only replacement we need is our Defensive Coaches and Coordinator.

26. By Ross on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Do you see the cardinals extending Hightower before his contract expires next year? And put me down for him starting the year and playing a similar role as he did down the stretch. Beanie 1100 yards, Timmy 800 yards and 50 catches.

This team can finally run the ball with two battering rams that can go to the house.

27. By darrenurban on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Shannon —

This is an off the top of the head thought, but generally, I can see your scenarios. Hightower and Walker are under contract. Most of the restricted guys wull be tendered offers and won’t be able to really go anywhere. That includes Lutui, for instance. I think they’d like to keep Bridges and Ware. I do agree that there won’t be a ton of free agent moves, but a lot of that has to do with the fact there will not be a lot of quality guys on the open market, given the probable new free agent rules due to the CBA.

28. By darrenurban on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Ross —

I’d expect the Cards to see Hightower like they have many of their other players, which is consider an extension but know they can tender him an offer as a restricted free agent. Again, it’s tough to tell because we don’t know the landscape for the league and the new CBA yet.

29. By shannon robinson on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren – thank you for the encouragement – of course I wrote Hightower when I meant to say Ali Highsmith. I did not know Reggie Walker is under contract also – excellent news that Mr. Grave values him. I’m hoping Highsmith develops too. I’m a big Beannie Ball fan and a big part of running the ball for this team is Tim Hightower. He’s a throwback to Larry Centers and Stump Mitchell. Thanks for the help.

30. By Coach Carlsen on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I’ve been chompin’ at the bit for this years draft. As you said earlier, any time you lose Warner and start transitioning to a more run emphasized offense, you really need to have a better defense. So far most of the mocks have us taking OT, Rush-end OLB type, or ILB, but what do you see us prioritizing in this years draft? I’m personally thinking pass rusher or ILB, and would love to see us getting after the passer without having to send so many guys (god the colts have it nice). Additionally, what are the feelings around the organization on Cody Brown? I don’t know how much he got to practice or do much of anything this year, can he be that disruptive pass rusher?

31. By darrenurban on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Coach —

I don’t know if anyone has a good grasp on Brown yet because they just haven’t seen him enough. As for the draft, we’ll have to see how it trickles down. Picking at 26 is a lot different than picking 10th; if there is a really good OT, for instance, staring at you at 26, can you pass him up for need? It’s a dangerous line to walk.

32. By Coach Carlsen on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, you never know how the draft is going to pan out, and it also depends on what happens this offseason. I know at this point and time the front office is dealing with a number of contract issues, who do you see the Cardinals prioritizing this offseason? I’m assuming that Dockett and Dansby are going to dealt with first (rightfully so, defense needs to keep making strides), followed possibly by Breaston. What kind of contract is Breaston going to be looking for? This would probably mean the end for Anquan in Arizona, what are the cards going to get back for him if they do decide to take that path.

33. By darrenurban on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Coach —

Dansby will get an offer I am sure, but I don’t expect some bidding war. The Cards thought they had a deal with Dansby last year, until Karlos decided against it and switched agents. The Dockett situation will be looked into, but again, he is under contract for two more years so it isn’t a lock something happens. He can’t go anywhere. Breaston is restricted, and while I’d expect they want him around long-term, it’s likely they will tender him an offer early and then get to the Anquan situation.