Rolle going to Pro Bowl UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on January 25, 2010 – 9:23 am

The Cardinals are going to have a safety play in the Pro Bowl after all, now that free safety Antrel Rolle has been named to replace the Saints’ Darren Sharper in Sunday’s game. Sharper, of course, had to bail now that his team is in the Super Bowl. Strong safety Adrian Wilson had been named a starter, but he is skipping the game with his wife due to give birth very soon. Rolle will join Darnell Dockett in the game, after Wilson, Larry Fitzgerald (knee) and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (knee) all bowed out.

A total of 14 Pro Bowlers were lost yesterday when the Colts and Saints each made the Super Bowl and their players were ruled out. And I’d expect a host of the many Vikings and perhaps Jets to step away too, given how close the Pro Bowl is to their championship game loss, which includes Brett Favre. In theory, the door could open for Kurt Warner, but I’m not so sure — given his situation of deciding on his football future — that he’d be jumping to play in the game himself.

UPDATE: Tony Romo has been named to the Pro Bowl to replace Favre (Donovan McNabb replaced Drew Brees), so whether Warner was an alternate behind Romo or Warner just turned it down, it doesn’t matter — Kurt won’t play in Miami.

Tags: , , , , , ,

38 Responses to “Rolle going to Pro Bowl UPDATE”

1. By Luis on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Can’t wait to see at least 2 of our Cardinals playing in the Pro Bowl.

2. By Dean Beckman on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

The Pro Bowl will quite honestly be a joke with so many players either having to bow out due to the Super Bowl or just choosing to. Does anyone seriously think it’s a good idea to play this the week before the Super Bowl?

3. By Joseph on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Good for Rolle, Hope he enjoys the pro bowl. And hopefully Kurt will be able to play, cause hopefully playing in the pro bowl will give him the itch to come back next year…

4. By Secret on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

this is no longer a pro bowl… all of the best players cant play!!!!

5. By Michael Shepp on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Congrats Antrel

For a guy who made the position switch just 2 years ago you have excelled. PLEASE rework your contract and be a Cardinal for LIFE! Your name in the Cardinal ring of honor is something to tell your grand children about is a legasey no one can ever take away from you, EVER!!!!!

6. By Pokemon on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

I can’t be the only one who thinks turnstile #21 being a Pro Bowler is laughable…

7. By Shelby on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

I truly hope Kurt Warner will go the the Pro Bowl. We have tickets and my 11 yr old son is a HUGE Kurt Warner/Cardinal fan. We live on the east coast so he has never seen him play live. Especially if he decides to retire.

8. By kekojones on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

I am pretty sure KW was watching BF last nigth. After seeing how he was bangged up by the Saints defenders, I don’t think Kurt would want to come back. There is only one reason for him to come back and as you all can see, is always a second away from sliping thru your fingers.. For BF it was a kick in OT away from the Superbowl..

9. By Flood on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Antrel Rolle, turnstile? Really? He was one of our surer and leading tacklers this year. Bush doesn’t have that ridiculous pinball wizard run if Antrel is there instead of Abdullah. Coverage was to be desired at times. Can I get a second on that Darren?

10. By Chris B on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

So, to generate more interest, the NFL moved the Pro Bowl to take place BEFORE the SB. Now, by default, 14 PB-ers are “lost” and several just don’t want to play. Does this sound like the idea backfired? Or do lots of players bow out and I’m just behind the times?

11. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

I think Antrel Rolle is an above average safety, and of course, a huge big-play threat when he gets his hands on the ball. And of course, he’s a very viable option in the wildcat. The question is, does he get his hands on the ball enough defensively as a free safety? I wish he were more of a ball-hawking free safety to compliment Adrian Wilson’s physical style of play at the line of scrimmage. That said, Wilson had one more INT (5) this year than Rolle (4). Wilson had 74 combined tackles, Rolle had 72. Pretty similar.

In 2009, 38 players in the NFL had as many or more INTs than Rolle had (4). Three rookies in 2009 had as many or more INTs than Rolle (Jyrius Byrd had 9 as a rookie). Three rookies also had one less INT (3) than Rolle in 2009.

With all the breakdowns in the secondary this year, you know that the Cards are going to obtain more than a few options at those positions through the draft and/or free agency*.

I think if any of the younger, backup safeties were further along in their development, the Cards wouldn’t hesitate to let Antrel try free agency rather than signing him to a big extension, especially with a possible work stoppage in 2011. With only so much money to spend, Antrel would certainly seem to be more expendable than Dansby or Dockett if the Cards are serious about getting those players locked up.

*To be fair to Rolle and the other DBs, great pass defense starts with a great pass rush, and the Cards did just an average or poor job at that for most of the season (except the playoffs).

12. By Tbru on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

The best players from the two best teams aren’t playing in a showcase game. Good plan NFL

13. By Joe-B on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

The Pro Bowl is going to be a joke this year.

I wouldn’t be surprised if JaMarcus Russell made it to the Pro Bowl now that every quarterback in the AFC is dropping out.

14. By nor cal cards fan on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Flood- I thought you should know that it was Mcfadden who Reggie Bush bounced off of like a pinball en route to his long TD run, not Abdullah.We signed Mcfadden, allegedly, because he was “physical”, remember?

15. By cards62 on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Do any of you really watch the pro bowl ?
    I have not watched the game since I was a did, oh so long ago.
    Skills competition is the way to go for fan interest I think.

Concerning Rolle if the money is fair I woud really like to have him back. Speed kills and he has plenty of it. We must remember that players and coaches pick the pro bowlers so with Wilson and DRC starters and Rolle an alternate they must be doing something right to be selected.

Darren
    Do we have an update on DRC injury?
    Sorry if you have already addressed. I have not seen anything or even know what kind of surgery DRC needs.

16. By darrenurban on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Cards62 —

There is nothing further I have learned on the DRC front. As of the last update, surgery wasn’t necessarily a sure thing.

17. By Lisa on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

i was hoping that Kurt would be called in to the Pro Bowl to play, if indeed this is his last game i want to see him again.

18. By mike hadzinski on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

darren
    In his prime do you remember my boy Kwamie Lassiter he was awsome when he played here i will never forget in 00′ when stephen alexander (redskins) caught a slant and Lassiter hit him so hard he pooped his pants literaly on the field he was knocked out. he was another hard hitting saftey butt he got old and slow back there and was burned alot in his latter years what would you have rated him compared with Rolle you think he was a better saftey than Rolle?

19. By darrenurban on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

Kwamie could get around the ball certainly. Rolle has more athletic ability and is more dangerous with the ball in his hands. But since Rolle is still learning the position, I’d give the edge to Lassiter for now. Rolle has more upside.

20. By Barry on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Honestly, what is the point of the pro-bowl these days?? All the players back out that are selected..its just about that extra cash..plus, I’m not sure who watches this game anymore? I’m glad we have so many guys selected but, it just seems its becoming a joke to all teams…no interest and nobody plays…we as the watcher(s)…spend time selecting someone who basically..bails! Wow.. And yes..I understand injury and personal family issues.

BTW…congrats Rolle good job!

21. By Edward B. on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Bummer, well, at least it’s only the Pro Bowl…

22. By Joe2 on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

mike hadzinski-

My sons and I used to call Kwamie Lassiter “The Human Missle” cuz one minute you would see the other team with the ball and then out of nowhere would come this horizontal blur — pow! Kwamie would just fly at guys and level them, hitting with reckless abandon. You just love to see a safety who can hit like that.

23. By Scott Hornberger on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

This experiment with putting the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl is turning into a fiasco. What a joke. So many of the best players were already not playing and now 14 more because the Saints and Colts are now in the Super Bowl??? Would anyone miss the Pro Bowl if it just went away altogether? I, for one, would not. They should still have voting and give players the honor of being named as all stars. But, honestly, why does there have to be a game??? There doesn’t! Nobody really cares. It’s time to put the Pro Bowl out of our misery. Maybe instead of playing an actual game that has no appeal for people anymore, maybe they could turn it into wild and crazy skills competition that would actually be fun for people to watch…or something like that. At the very least, they need to find another place on the calender for this game. Right before OR after a Super Bowl just doesn’t work!

24. By Evan on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

McNabb and Romo over Warner? What are these people smoking? I was excited to see Fitz play, but even he bowed out. At least we got Rolle representing the Cards and the U.

25. By mike hadzinski on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Joe2-

He was awsome to watch he would light ppl up i remember him saving the game against the cowboys in 99-00 when plummer was out and we had to start dave brown it was like 4 and 1 and they ran the ball with E.Smith only to get hit head to head with the kwamie as chris boomer would say one of my cousin of the swamie lol and we stopped them awsome game i sat at Bws by myself watching that game only 14 good ole memories.

26. By mike hadzinski on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Joe-

I’t was sad to see him leave but it opened the door 4 Mr.Wilson but thats how it is i think he went to the chargers or the rams one of the two he had over 20 ints in his career good player when we really had no one wanting to play for us ya know.

27. By Flood on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

nor cal cards fan-
    I know who Bush bounced off. Everybody (including every Packer) was bouncing off McFadden in the playoffs. I was addressing Abdullah’s horrible angle and getting blown away for the last 30 yards of that run in the process. I am just saying Antrel keeps that play to a semi-embarrasing 16 yard gain and not a 46 yard laugher. Giving our defense a chance to save some face. Sorry if I was not clearer about that.

28. By Eazy E on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Happy for Rolle. He deserves it, he played at a high level the whole year. 72 tackles, 4 Ints, and 1.5 sacks what more do some of you fake fans want out of a free safety in his 2nd year at the position?? 31 other teams wish they had 2 great safeties like Rolle and A-Wil patrolling their defensive backfield.

29. By Michael Shepp on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Free agents

If Kurt retires then we sign Campbell from Washington. We have something the Skins never had for Jason, weapons!
    If not Campbell then Jackson from the Vikes. He has the arm and experiance. Either could battle Matt for the starting job.

Bye bye Dansby and hello either Rudd from Tampa or Ryans from the Texans. Both are younger and will make more tackles.

Shawn Merriman is a free agent as well and if his knee is sound sign him to replace Berry.

Another soid draft and we are back to the playoffs this year!

30. By Peter in Canada on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Scott- Couldn’t agree more. I have never liked the pro bowl because it’s more of a love-in than a football game. It is played without passion, has fake rules (no blitzing) and resembles the hockey and basketball all-star games. I don’t blame the players. Football is a dangerous game and who but a fool would seriously risk injury when there is nothing at stake. I find this blog an amusing contrast where some are writing about the passion and excitement of Lassiter and others about the vanilla pro bowl.

31. By Joe2 on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

mike-
    When you see a guy like Kwamie playing on a really hopeless team with nothing to play for, and he goes out there and lays it on the line like he did every play, it makes it easy to root for the guy.
    I thot I remembered that we had both Kwamie and Adrian back there together for a season or two, is that right?

32. By nor cal cards fan on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Flood- Good point. You’re right, Antrel would have taken a better angle than Abdullah, who was literally signed off the street a couple weeks earlier. I just couldn’t resist making a comment regarding Mcfadden, who i feel should be cut immediately. My 9 year old nephew, who played Pop Warner this past season, has better cover skills than Mcfadden. My nephew actually looked for the ball when it was in the air. That was something i believe my nephew was taught by his secondary coach. If a 9 year old knows that you have a better chance of breaking up a pass if you actually know where the ball is and have your head turned around the right way, then how can a pro football player in the NFL not be aware of this.Somebody has to be held accountable for the HORRIBLE year that Mcfadden had, and the millions of dollars that were wasted in the process.

33. By nor cal cards fan on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Joe2- I believe we had Kwamie, Pat Tillman, and A Dub all on the same team one year. Am i wrong Urb?

34. By darrenurban on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Nor Cal —

They were all on the same team in 2001. There was so much made of Tillman being asked to re-sign with the team in 2002 before he instead joined the Army, but there is little question A-Dub would have taken Tillman’s place as starting strong safety that season even if Tillman had remained.

35. By nor cal cards fan on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren- Thanks for the feedback. It’s kind of crazy to think A-Dub has been a Cardinal for so long that he played with Pat. Has he ever opened up about his experience playing with and learning from Pat, and the influence he might have had on him?

36. By darrenurban on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Nor Cal —

If I can find the links to a couple things I have written on the subject, I will add them. I don’t think Tillman and Wilson were particularly close per se, but Adrian has talked about Pat a couple of times. UPDATE: Here’s one link.

37. By mike hadzinski on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Joe

yes like darren said 2001 we had all three back there i also think in Wilson rookie year he played a little Cb too is that right Darren ? also does any1 remember the hit that Pat put on the guy from the panthers that made his helmet pop of his head that was 1 one of the sickest hits i ever seen i always thought when pat came back from the Army he would have even been in better shape all around and prob made the best saftey tandem with Wilson back there.I think it was muhhammed from the panthers not sure darren wanna help with that? Mike-

38. By darrenurban on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

I don’t recall Adrian playing cornerback but that doesn’t mean he didn’t do it a little bit. I also remember the Tillman hit in Carolina but don’t remember who he hit.