• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Expect Leinart — not a QB blockbuster

Posted by Darren Urban on January 27, 2010 – 10:57 am

There has been a lot of talk of the direction the Cardinals go at quarterback if Kurt Warner walks away (and here’s where I insert the standard disclaimer for every one of these items — Warner has yet to make a decision whether he will retire or not) but it’s being made overly complicated by the rumormill.

If Warner leaves, Matt Leinart is going to have the first crack at starting quarterback.

The Cardinals aren’t going to try and trade for Donovan McNabb. They aren’t going to give up draft picks for an older QB who is going to be looking for a new contract (McNabb is scheduled to be a free agent after 2010). Maybe McNabb, who has a house in Chandler, becomes more attractive if he hits the free-agent market after next season, but that’s assuming the Eagles let him leave. But there will be no trade, even if the Eagles decide to deal him.

The Cards aren’t going to chase Michael Vick either. Vick should get released by Philly at some point, given the large amount of money ($3.75 million as a backup) he is due for next season, unless the Eagles dump McNabb. But Vick carries with him too much baggage to be worth bringing him in, and his style (including the fact he has never proven to be a consistent NFL passer) doesn’t fit the Cards’ offense. Vick is not coming to Arizona.

If Warner steps away, expect the Cards to sign some sort of veteran quarterback, but one that will likely be told he will begin behind Leinart on the depth chart. Expect the Cards to use a mid-round draft pick (or at least seriously consider it) to draft a quarterback.

But mostly, if Warner retires, expect Matt Leinart to be behind center in 2010.

Tags: , , ,

93 Responses to “Expect Leinart — not a QB blockbuster”

1. By Josh on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

We screwed if Leinart takes over

2. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Thank you for not suffering from the rumor gene that seems to plague most of your colleagues (not mentioning any names, right Kent Somers?).

3. By Steve on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I saw a mock draft with the Cards taking Sam Bradford. I highly doubt he’d fall that far in the draft but is there any chance they trade up in the draft for him, Jim Clausen or a top 3 or 4 QB?

4. By Michael Shepp on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I totally agree.

However, If Kurt doer retire then the choice to sign a new QB becomes interesting. Every free agent QB will want to come to the Cardinals.

Why you ask? Weapons weapons and more weapons plus an O-line that can block for you. Add to the mix a chance to out play Matt and start. That puts the Cardinals front and center when that situation may or may not arise.

I like Jason Campbell alot, strong arm, mobile and can run all he meeds is a fresh start some where, why not here!

5. By vince on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I love how Leinart is giving the hang loose signs with both hands.. Thats probably him telling his receivers, hey, lets chill on the sidelines and drink some gatorade after I throw this next incompletion.

6. By Keith on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Leinart deserves his shot.I would much rather see any offseason moves upgrade the defensive side of the ball.Particularly the pass rush.

7. By Kevin15 on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

People,

Give Leinart a year to go through training camp and play the game the way Coach Whiz calls it. Beanie left, Beanie right, Timmy up the middle. Run, Run and more Runs…. Old Skool Steeler football. Not, high flying acts that Warner has been doing… Leinart or no one for that matter is HOF Kurt Warner… Give him a chance…

Go Cards!

8. By John Rennecamp on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I’m thinking the Dolphins will let Chad Pennington go in favor of Henne. That’s a guy I think would be a perfect #2 as well as Chris Redman but at this point there really not much to pick from in terms of quality starters should Matt falter or get injured.
    If we get good need players with picks 1&2 ( Offensive tackle,DE/LB ) I think we should draft a QB in round 3. As we all know some of the best QBs were mid to late round picks or not even drafted.

9. By JT on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

We will be ok.

10. By darrenurban on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Steve –

I don’t see the Cards taking a QB in the first couple of rounds, depending, of course, who is there. I definitely don’t see them trading up.

11. By Ryan on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I am happy to hear that we would show some loyalty to Matt, I’d like to see what he can do if given consistent practice with the starters and the game experience.

He showed some promise against the Titans this season.

12. By Adam on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Ok since that rumor is dead, lets fire up a new one…. Tim Tebow.

I am actually excited for Leinart to be our starter. Look how he did in Tennessee with limited practice with the first team. There is no way he is going to let fellow USC QB Mark Sanchez continue to show him up.

13. By darrenurban on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Michael –

Campbell is a restricted free agent. I am guessing he isn’t going anywhere.

14. By darrenurban on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Vince –

Very humorous. Next time, however, you may want to pay attention to Cardinals’ games. That is the hand signal to change a play. Warner does it all the time himself.

15. By darrenurban on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

John –

We’ll see on Pennington. I would guess he would be a guy that would have options.

16. By CARDSFAN1178124 on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

LEINART HATERS…..BE GONE

17. By loveMYcards on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Maybe Leinart can suprise us all, but I for one am not holding my breath! I’ve seen enough of this over the last few yrs to not be impressed. We’ve got a strong enough team now, even with Leinart behind center I dought we’ll finish last, but we definatly won’t be having seasons like us Cardinals fans have gotten used too. Even if he follows Whiz’s exact orders at all times, he’s still not gonna compair to Kurt, or even come close! I really feel, and have been aying it, that Leinart is pretty much whats left of the old cards( pre ’07). I am more then willing to bet if we traded him to another team, give him a couple yrs, he’ll finally grow into a fairly decent QB, just like most others have done in the past. But i don’t for see him really comming around to be an impressive and competitive QB for the Cards. Maybe i’ll be proved worng and end up eatting my words….but like I said, I’m not holding my breath on it.

18. By lvb on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Love Matt…hope he goes to seattle with pete where he will finally be given an opportunity.

19. By Cameron on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

matt lienart will be fine why doesnt anyone believe in him?? because he has been a backup quarterback for the last couple years? theres no shame in backing up a 1st ballot hall of famer people need to realize that. The only year matt really had was his rookie year and he did fine as a rookie, not warner good but we were a completely different team back then too. Since loosing the starting job to a hall of famer he has come in a few games here and there but thats not enough to judge. My prediction is matt lienart will come and, if the team is still together, pass for over 3000 yards and take the cards to the promised land. Especially since next year we will have a two headed monster in the backfield

20. By Michael Shepp on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

With no CBA it looks like the shelf is bare when it comes to UFA QB’s. Well short of a trade for McNabb which just may happen the Cards ill have to go with Matt in 2010.

ESPN just announced that Warner will hold a press conference this Friday at the Cards complex where he will retire from foofball.

Thanks Kurt for 2 awesome years you ARE an hall of faimer

21. By Different Adam on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Lots of reports that Kurt is Announcing his decision on Friday, and all signs point to retirement…Adam Schefter again mentioned McNabb… You going to have something on this soon?

22. By Rosa S on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Well looks like we wont be going to any superbowls or playoffs with Leinart as QB!!!!

23. By RODY on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren, It is going to be a very intersting offseaon for the cardinals to say the least.

24. By ashley on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I think if given the chance to practice regularly with the first string players, Matt will do a great job. He has the potential, just no real practice or time to get better. He will do good.

25. By Barbara wurzbach on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Just heard that Kurt will hold a press conference Friday. Most think he is retiring!!!! I think we need to give matt a year but agree we need a veteran backup. Matt has had two upper body injuries therefore I wonder if he can last a full season. What quarterbacks are going to be out there? Any chance for vick?

26. By David Magee on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

If Kurt Warner doesn’t return in 2010, he will certainly leave his mark in Cardinal history as someone who helped take them where they had never
    been before.The Cardinals seem to have enough playmakers that given two or three free agents and
    some luck in the draft, a Quarterback could be drafted
    or traded for in 2011. Give Matt Leinart one year
    to prove he is capable and if the Cardinals don’t win their division because of his decisions, then he needs to be moved or let go.
    If Warner returns and the team stays healthy, they should be able to win the division again and make a
    run at the Super Bowl.The Cardinals have a good head coach and this team needs to stay in a constantly
    improving mode.

27. By 4Garrard on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I’d REALLY like to see the Cards swing a trade for D. Garrard if Warner retires. Jags are going to draft Tebow and would benefit having an underneath receiver like Q to help get his career kicked off. Garrard has elements of Ben EatsABurger in his game but more mobile with less mass….

28. By Nathan on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

No problems with Leinart. His only start was on a moments notice and it took a miracle drive by Vince Young to beat them. I think sitting has given him the perspective he needs to be a great quarterback. And I believe he can have the renaissance that Vince Young had as well. His passer rating this year was better than at least a few starting QBs. (Mark Sanchez for example) We can win the division with Matt at QB in my opinion.

29. By wampag on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Espn reports Warner to make decision Friday and that he is probably done. What’s your gut tell you D?

30. By Omar on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Look, I see it like this. If Warner retires, I think Matt will surprise a lot of people. Warner has all but gift wrapped this team to his successor! Whiz is a wiz, and I believe he will know how to game plan with Matt in place. And keep in mind, WE HAVE A RUNNING GAME NOW!!!!! That should take a heavy load off Matt. I’m a Card fan through and through, and for the longest time, I hated to see Matt in there. But, I liked the fact that he has decided to stay and learn from Kurt in hopes of one day taking over. That shows great patience and dedication and you gotta respect that. Keep in mind that in his opportunities, he performed just like a back up typically does, with few reps in practice, (hey, not every one can be Steve Young.) I think that full time work with the team is going to make him a good qb on our team. I’m pulling for him. If we let him go, watch him reach the SB with another team, like Cardinals b4 him! Hey, remember that Monday night Chicago game? We may have lost it, but man, Matt looked good that night! If not for that missed FG, that would have been his crowning glory, Cards fans, We’ll be just fine!

31. By Mike"Pay Q" on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Can you comment on the rumor of a Kurt Warner press conference at the Cards’ complex Friday?

32. By Bobf on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

“expect the Cards to sign some sort of veteran quarterback, but one that will likely be told he will begin behind Leinart on the depth chart”

Hint of Deja Vu there.

33. By MDJOE on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I AGREE WITH KEVIN15-RUN RUN RUN-BUT IM GLAD TO SEE LEINART GET A CHANCE.HE DOSE HAVE THE ABILITY TO MANAGE THE GAME -SO I SAY LETS GO CARDS WITH OR WITHOUT LEINART!!!!!

34. By Omar on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Kevin 15, I liked your comments! I think you’re absolutely right! As me and my 4 kids like to chant when Wells gets the ball; “Go Beanie, go Beanie, go Beanie, go Beanie!!!!” The longer the rapid chant, the more yards he ran, baby!

35. By Ed Scaife on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Matt Leinart as a starter much better than the Matt Leinart that we’ve only seen briefly as the back up? I believe his stats as a starter aren’t that bad–and the only thing that really derailed his progress was his collarbone injury. With our newfound running game, I think Leinart would be just as effective or better than any other QB available should Kurt Warner retire.

36. By darrenurban on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

All –

I have not gotten confirmation yet on the Warner presser, but I would guess it’s true — at least the press conference part.

37. By Lone-Eagle on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

First of all, I truly hope Kurt does not retire. Not that he has anything to prove, but I think he deserves to go out better than the terrible loss to the Saints. However, that being said, if he does retire, call me crazy, I believe that if given a full year of the knowledge that he will be the starter and the one taking the majority of the snaps in practice, Matt should turn out to be a pretty good QB. I am in no way implying that he will be a Kurt Warner, but then again you can’t replace Kurt. You can’t replace a future HOFer, it is not going to happen. However, we have to believe in Coach Whiz. Besides, if you look at it this way Leinart has had one of the best teachers you could ask for his entire career. I am in no way making any comparisons, but look at Steve Young behind Cool Joe. No one wanted Steve Young to take over either, and as I remember it correctly, the fans were none too happy when they traded Joe Montana to K.C. and made Young the starter. Look how that turned out. Granted it took time, but sometimes all good things do. I believe we should give Matt a chance and see what happens. That is of course if Kurt Retires. Kurt needs to do what is best for himself and his family. I know he will make the right decision. Go Cardinals! See you next year. It’s time for some D-Backs baseball!!

38. By Jon on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Lienart or a new QB. Hate to say it lienart but if I have the choice between you and a new QB. I say GO WITH TIM TEBOW!!! The guy may not be the best right now but if they work with him I think he can be the best. Hes a leader hes got unbelievable determination and the guy is fearless. Work with him and you’ll like where you end up

39. By Brian R. on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Come on Leinart, i believe in you.

40. By MclarlCardinal on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I think some of these ‘new’ cadinals fans need to look at the history of the cardinals… if you look back through drafts you see a lot of good players that have been traded away… thomas jones… so i would hate for us to let Matt Leinhart go without giving him a sufficient chance at proving himself… when he started for us he didn’t have any offensive line in front of him. I think now with beanie and hightower in the back field we have a balanced enough team that we don’t need a quarter back to win us games. we merely need him not to lose it. so i believe in lienhart! I think we can repeat either way!

41. By nick on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

the cards should draft another decent QB and make leinart earn the starting job. leinart better step up his game or sit down and let somebody better take over.

42. By Joe-B on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Good luck Matty

43. By cardinalconvert on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Ok, here is my thought Darren. Remember Testverde and how he was bad at one point till he got to work under Parcells with Jets. Boy, he became very good, didn’t he. Card fans, don’t undersell Leinart yet. New coach (Whiz), a new attitude, and you never know. Leinart did have talents. It is a question of who can unlock him other than him and a coach like Whiz and Grimm.

44. By Brian on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I believe in Leinart. He has shown he can be a great asset. He was great in the Tenessee game. Does anyone know what the stats for Steve Young were before he went to San Fransisco? Knowbody cared. Now he is a Hall of Famer. I love what Warner has done for this team. I think Matt in the backround has been patiently waiting while learning from one of the greats.

45. By azcardsfan22 on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

You people kill me where have you seen enough of Matt tell me please when he has had any consistant starts except his rookie year and he was not bad at all….then he had 4 starts his 2nd year coming off an injury…..give the guy a freakin chance, there is not a single person on this planet (including Cardinal brass) who has any idea what Matt can give us good or bad, so please stop hating you people just sound like total morons who know nothing about the game, and are a disgrace to the state of Arizona and its fans

46. By Patrick on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Sounds like you know. Thx for the post.

47. By KYCardinalFan on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Watching Kurt play so well in St. Louis and then treate like garbage before going to NY and then the same happened there, it is nice to see him show both cities they messed up. Greatest QB of our generation, watched him tear up the best defenses, many times.

I hope the rumors are wrong, but if not, God Bless Kurt Warner.

The Cards will not be the same without Warner, but they will still be highly competitive with Leinert or whoever they get to replace Kurt.

48. By ndpenner on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Alrighty. I honestly think Matt will be a decent QB with potential to actually be pretty good and surprise people. I don’t see him taking things seriously and it really shows in his gameplay. It almost seemed like he was gunning for ways to go sit back on the bench at imes. He did show POTENTIAL against the Titans, and I really hope he grows into the QB he was projected to be if Kurt goes. That being said, if we lose Kurt, we gotta pick up Favre out of retirement before the Niners do if we wanna win the division. :) Kidding. GO CARDS!

49. By Rick on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Would people stop bringing up Vick! The guy has no arm, and a terrible choice for Arizona!

50. By dan "Bodybuilding" phillips on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Next year with Matt Leinart Cardinals go 6 and 10 …

And we all cry every week for the loss of Kurt Warner on of the greatest Quarterbacks of all time.

The Cardinal will continue their stupid past ways in keeping Matt Leinart.

51. By Paul on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Matt’s career stats

Att Comp % Yds TD INT RTG
    340 595 57.1 3893 14 20 71

It’s the accuracy that worries me. Some of the best hands in football in Q and Fitz, anything below 60% is bad.

52. By dan "Bodybuilding" phillips on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Hello clueless Matt Leinart had the starting QB job he failed over and over again.

Go here and look at his aweful stats

Like in his total stats he has more INT then Touch Downs ..

53. By dan "Bodybuilding" phillips on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

See Matt’s aweful stats .

54. By DHALL on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Dan and the Red Sea,
    I have watched Matt at his days at USC when he had numerous lineman go to the NFL and his two great backs at the time yet he put up great passing numbers.(Remind you of what the Cards almost have right now?) He is a Heisman winner and a BCS champion. (Don’t give me the Carson Palmer or Vince Young comeback either..haha Good draft picks usually go to rebuilding and poor teams which is where the cards were 3 and 4 years ago when he was drafted. We need to give the guy a little credit and some positive support, I feel this can and may be a perfect suit for the young but experienced Arizona Cardinals who need all of the support since there are so many of those bandwagoners out there that will jump off at the first sight of fire. He never got the chance in 06 or 07 with a SOLID O-LINE and SOLID running backs. He has worked his butt off the past year in the offseason and I feel has finally matured into a promising QB Thanks for the time and stay confident RED SEA!!!!!

55. By Eric on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Ive been a fan since 78/79. I have lived with many lien years. I truley feel the reason we dont get the national respect we deserve is partly due to our fan base. I cant beleive half the things I read in this column. Matt has not had a fair shot at the starting QB position yet. He was rushed in by Dennis Green who by the way knew he was on the hot seat. So lets start our first round draft choice. Most respected teams sit their newly found QB for 2 years anyway. I truey feel given the needed time spent with the first stringers…Matt has the ability to soften the blow of Kurt retireing.Yes Kurt should retire. He has nothing left to prove. There were times out there this year he looked very old.
    Matt once given a chance will succed.

56. By Mathew on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

All,
    I am not a Leinart hater. In fact I wish him well and if he starts next season I obviously hope he succeeds well. But, I would like to see Kurt hang on one more year and draft Tim Tebow to work with him for that year in a mentor/student relationship. I think Tebow would need that. That, of course, would probably mean trading Matt Leinart for a higher draft pick. That may not be a bad thing for Matt, as I think he should have a chance at starting somewhere to prove himself–he is sort of wasting away. Warner & Tebow in 2010! If not, I am behind Leinart.

57. By Cybil on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Sorry little boy, this role isn’t for you. Take your head out of the clouds and your ass out of the stupidity spotlight, and maybe we’ll talk. If Kurt leaves, I doubt you’ll be able to come down from your ego trip to walk in his steps.

58. By Brent on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Yes, it will definately be Leinart, at least for next season. Like Darren said, it makes no sense to trade for an older QB that only has a year left on his contract (McNabb). As a Cardinals fan, I would want nothing to do with Michael Vick, not because of the baggage, but because he’s always been overhyped and he doesn’t fit the Cardinals system at all. I think I would rather see them sign a veteran backup than use a later draft pick. If they end up using a later draft pick, we’ll be stuck with someone like Jevan Snead, did you guys see him play this year in college? He is awful. They need O-line help to make it a running offense. Whisenhunt is smart and I’m sure they are targeting a LT with their first round pick.

59. By Brent on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Wow. I think Lone-Eagle just compared Leinart to Steve Young.

60. By darrenurban on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Cybil –

I understand those who don’t think Leinart can play, but statements like yours, quite frankly, come across as ignorant.

61. By Ismael on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Give Lienart a chance he really only had maybe one complete year counting the 06-07 starts he hasent fully gotten a chance. If he goes through the motions and we get better running the ball, the defense gets better he has a chance to succed so give him a chance he will be ready.

62. By KC on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

This is to Dan “Bodybuilding” Phillips. Careful when bringing up stats, look at these 4 Super Bowl QBs through a similar amount of games.

Leinarts stats…

TD 30
    INT 26

QB #4 Games 28
    PCT 59.4%
    TD 29
    INT 31

Any guesses who they are? Would you have given up on all of them too? Only 1 had a higher completion % and all threw more INTs.
    QB #1 is Elway QB #2 is Aikman QB #3 E. Manning QB #4 is Brees
    If you compare starts and ignore Leinarts mop up performances they even look more favorably on him.

63. By Kenny M. on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

People should truly support Matt Leinart if they are a fan for the Cardinals. Matt is going to shock many people that doubt his abilities.

64. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I think it’s all between the ears with Matt. He has all the physical tools.

Having never been challenged as a QB starter until he reached the NFL, I’m sure he’ll be comfortable knowing the job is going to be his next year, and that it will be his all year long unless he plays extremely poorly. That’s the only way the Cards are going to know what they are going to get from Matt. And I’m sure the Cards will want to give their investment every last chance to finally start paying dividends in the final year of their contract.

While Matt may be more comfortable playing with less competition, he’s probably still going to feel some pressure to finally produce knowing that a rookie QB (junior) from USC took his team to the AFC Championship game this year (as did Joe Flacco in 2009).

65. By B-Real on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

As the Wolf would say WOW !!!! Look at the Matt Leinart haters club..just building.

I’m glad the company I work for didn’t judge me after 17 shifts and make a choice if ” I’m the guy “.

Matt is going to get his chance, I hope he makes the best of it. Whoever the QB is, I’m still excited for next season!

66. By DHALL on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

-Darren
    Thank you for putting Cybil in there place and I love the stats KC! The 2010-11 season will be that of a powerful team who will even grab more and more fans and followers. We have finally found a coach who knows what football actually means. As for the draft, build the pass rush and maybe help out our nickel package personnel.

67. By Big Red on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Kurt will be back! This is a bunch of bull, about him retiring. The man will keep his two year promise to us. Kurt will be back!

68. By Barry on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

I Support Matt…he’s wait 3 yrs behind Kurt (HOF’er) and is now trying to prove himself. I think it would be nice if the city would support Matt too!! He just need more confidence in his play.

GO CARDS!!

69. By Mackey on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

@CK – Great comment, you make a good point about stats not telling the whole story. I think Matt should and will be the starting QB next year, let’s give him a chance. Things were looking up for the Cards when he was drafted a few years ago and they had a load of talent ready to emerge – all before Kurt showed up and wowed everybody with his late career surge. As many of you have stated, the Cardinals are a much better team with a solid O-line, backfield, and the best receiving corps in the league, so I expect him to be fine as a starter. BTW, I was at the game vs. the Oilers/Titans and he played a pretty good game before the defense let it slip away at the end. Go Cards!

70. By K-DUB on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Be sure to have your milk ready all you haters, because you’ll all be choking on your words very soon. Guess what you’ll never be a cardinals fan you Freakin bandwagoners!

71. By omar on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

As a true Card fan, I DON’T WANT TEEEEEEBOW!!!!!!!!!! That is starting all over folks! No thanks! Anyone know who the last rookie QB to take a team to the SB? Wasn’t it Marino? Anyway, I’ve grown spoiled over the last 3 seasons and I expect our team to keep rolling with or without Kurt, -Please dont’ leave! :*(…..- But we’ve got a good thing in Matt! He may not have the numbers, but we have a running game now! A line! Receivers! Cmon’ fans! And I agree on bashing the bandwagoners. Where were they 4 years ago? I know where I was, pulling for the team knowing they’d turn the corner sooner or later. Now we’ve arrived and we need to look at all of the positive and look to improve on the negative!

Let’s go Red Birds!

72. By Tbru on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Campbell would be good, Danny might just dump him.
    Nooooooooooo to Pennigton, that would be a terrible move, I would rather have Grossman.
    Delhomme needs a change of scenery, he was Kurt’s understudy once, might be a serviceable backup.

Draft a QB but not someone you would plan to start right away.

73. By Tbru on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Favre !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol I am funnier than Leno & Coco, combined

74. By DennyRedBirdfan on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

NOOOOOOoooooo!!!!
    First of all Thank You Kurt!
    Second, anyone but Mattel, the toy quarterback. But I would really love Tebow drafted and bring us a vet for a couple o’ years to then hand it over to the future. But please please not Leinart, let him go to Seattle…that’s 2 wins right there on our schedule.
    Go Birds!!!!!

75. By Cameron on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

I hate to say it but i think warner should retire i dont want to see him get hit like farve did against the saints. i would rather see him walk away from the game on his feet instead of crutches.
    I dont understand why people want the cards to draft tebow they are probly the same people begging them to get lienart all those years ago. if they draft tebow then he will be backing up lienart for a few years and then all the fake fans will want him gone again. two first round quarterbacks is a little much for one team. Draft a corner or left tackle first round. then pick up a tight end in free agency.
    That will be the perfect team romo wouldnt even be able to lose a game with those weapons. haha

76. By AZ native in SFO on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren Urban I hope, and pray your wrong. Matt Lienart can not handle it. He couldn’t before and lost the starting job to Warner and will to any another veteran QB brought in. And I dissagree about Vick’s worth in the Card’s system. Remember the amazing amount of money his contract was worth back before he got into trouble? Well that’s because of his running and PASSING skills. I don’t know if you watched the last Eagles game where Vick threw that TD pass. Looked like he’s close to being back to his pre-prison form and did it with only a very small percentage of rep’s with the first squad. Imagine if he would have had all the reps in practice. With the amazing Card WR’s and Vick at QB (and awesome O-line) just think of the play possibilities. It would be enough to break any defense.

Thank you Kurt for making AZ football exciting. Made me proud to wear the red/white over here in the sea of silver/black and gold/red!

77. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Az native –

We will see on Leinart. He will get his chance in Arizona, however, no matter how many fans disagree. Vick is not close to being ready to start in my opinion. He threw one pass that made the highlights — that does not deem him back in full. And he was never a great passer to begin with. Not that it matters — the Cards do not want Vick.

78. By Adam (the third) on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Just some food for thought… the Kurt drama is interesting enough so I’ll keep it short. I think Matt as the ability. You don’t win the Heisman for nothing you know but here’s another angle that concerns me FAR FAR more than the Kurt/Matt situation…

It takes more than just talented players to make a championship winning team, it also takes a front office that is committed to winning…

I’m a transplant to AZ and am originally born and raised in the greater St. Louis area. My history with the Gridbirds probably pre-dates most here in AZ. It hurt to see the Cards pack up and go back in the 80′s. Even worse were the lengths the Bidwells went to to ensure that football would not return to STL for a long time. They really screwed the city of STL but St. Louis fans are die hard, and even when the Rams came to town, there are a large number from that area that continued to keep tabs on the Cards in spite of the deep anomosity most of St. Louis fans feel toward the Bidwell family… Needless to say it was kind of bittersweet to see old man Bill holding the NFC trophy up last year following the legacy he left behind in St. Lou.

That said, living in AZ for 10 years now, it’s nice to be reunited with this team again. I think it’s great to see the Cards back on top for the first time since the “Air Coryell” years. And it was even better to see King Kurt facilitate that after watching him awe us in STL durring those ‘Greatest Show on Turf’ years when he was with the Rams. Seeing him take the Cards to the promised land just brough everything full circle for me. However, and this is a big however…. for me the jury is still out to see if Michael is more committed to winning than the Old Man. I’ve seen Bidwells jack up a good thing before!

I think the recent success of this team can be attributed to a series of fortunate events more than anything.. Getting a decent coaching staff has helped yes, we’ve also gotten very lucky as well with some fortunate draft picks, and I don’t think anyone expected Kurt Warner to rise up from the ashes and return to the Kurt we all witnessed with the Rams, I think Fitz turned out to be a nice surprise, as is Early Doucet and Beanie Wells. The Cardinals have established a name for themselves as a high power team with some high profile players. Keeping that talent costs money though and we have a TON of key personnel up for free agency this year. And… if there is one thing I’ve been around long enough to know; it is without a doubt that Bill Bidwell is a penny looking for change if there ever was one!!! So now is the moment of truth… with an uncapped year coming up, is the ownership gonna pony up to keep this train rollin or will all our good talent be bought out from under us?

So,what’s it gonna be Mikey? You’ve got a winning franchize, a new stadium, sold out games, some newfound respect around the league, and an energized fan base. What are you gonna do to keep it that way? Has the Apple has fallen far enough away from the tree? OR.. Will history repeat itself again?

79. By Tbru on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

ESPN and the like are saying retirement. Ok Kurt “shock the world” and stay one more year.

80. By darrenurban on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Adam (the third) –

Fair questions. I will say, for someone who has followed the team so long, you should know how to spell the owner’s name (Bidwill). As for the fortunate events, I am a believer in making your own luck. You could make the case that most successful teams benefit from a string of fortunate events. If the Colts have the no. 2 pick in 1998 instead of No. 1, they probably don’t get Peyton Manning, and who knows where they would be?

81. By Pam on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Well, it looks like another long dry spell coming on. Matt L has a few spurts of adequacy when they have him go through a couple of short passes but quickness, seeing, antipating, and keeping the ball in Cards hands – not so much. I was so enjoying having a team too after all these years.

82. By AZ native in SFO on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren – It is wishful thinking on my part and I know your 100% right about the Cards not wanting Vick and he might not be the guy but with the limited options available out there what is a fan to wish for! Of course Lienart deserves a chance, and will get it. I hope all the criticism and doubt inspires Lienart to prove us all wrong. As a fans I just want to see the winning seasons keep going and that’s a blurry vision without Kurt because he was a huge piece of the puzzle in the Cards success in recent years. Kurt’s leadership in the team was as important as his arm and in the opportunities Lienart has had that leadership quality was a bit on the soft side.

83. By Mark on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Leinart has a super-slow release, a weak arm, and an unwillingness to take a hit. That’s the trifecta of failure for any NFL QB.

84. By Matthew's Mom on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I think Matt will be another Steve Young.. Steve Young wasn’t all that great of a QB having to back up Joe Montana, but when he came out from under Joe’s shadow he became an excellent QB.. I think it will be the same with Matt.. I am truly a Cardinal fan and will support their decision for the QB and will remain a season ticket holder..

85. By Mark on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Management should go for Jason Campbell. He’s young. He’s smart. He’s got all the physical tools. He’s a hard worker. He’s a quality person. He’s paid his dues in Snyderland. He’s proven that he can compete at the pro level, and there’s no telling how good he could be with a little stability and the Cards current roster of great talent.

86. By fear710 on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I think we should really get TEBOW OR VICK it would be good MATT LEINART isn’t any good we’ve seen it he only throws interceptions

87. By fear710 on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

We SHOULD SIGN BOLDIN WE SHOULDN’T LET HIM GO

88. By Jessica on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I wish the Cardinals would look at other options rather than JUST Lienart. He is not the way to go considering he hasn’t started a game in 2 years. There are plenty to trade for, especially Caste, hes not needed at KC considering they are rumored to be interested in McCoy. He would be a hell of a better option than Matt Leinart who has proven to succumb to the Heisman trophy curse.

89. By blondie on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Lienart over McNabb or Vick any day of the week. Go Matt, Go Cards!!

90. By joann on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Well now that Kurt Warner is retiring it makes it for Leinhart ball. So lets just call the Arizona Cardinals the Arizona Sparrows.

91. By darrenurban on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Joann –

I have no idea what that means.

92. By Paul Weezy on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Im not a Lienart fan…but has everyone forgotten before Warner came to the valley Leinart was a very young and very solid QB on the rise? He has looked bad at times but go ask New York how Warner played for them. Lets also remember that the BIDWILLS still run this team. When was the last time they made a “blockbuster” trade that brought a quality player??? Back then, Warner didnt count as a blockbuster, more like a last ditch effort. Truth is we’re going to lose Quan, Dansby, Rolle, Okeafor, Gandy, and of course Warner and not replace any of them with quality players. Its back to cardinal football, good luck Matt.

93. By AZPoley on Feb 12, 2010 | Reply

Ok I think Matt is a good QB, but I don’t think in AZ. He has not been a leader and I don’t believe he can grow anymore in AZ, I foresee a .500 season with Matt at the helm of the Cardinals. I hate to say it, but Matt please PROVE ME WRONG, nothing would make me happer!! I do think that we should pursue MIKE VICK!! I’ll lead that charge!! I believe that he would lead AZ to whole new hights and get the SUPERBOWL Crown. But enough about the QB situation lets talk about our DEFENSIVE CORDINATOR we need a NEW one, one that knows how to be aggressive, and not lay back and get our A**es handed to us in the back field. Also, one that’s not affraid to put pressure on passing QB’s like Manning and Bres both of how beat us and when to the SUPERBOWL this year, hell Davis looks unsure in the New Orleans game of what to do, put the opposing QB on his a** a few times and watch him be alittle more timid to stand in the pocket and trow!!!
    SO MATT hope u the Best!!
    Please hire another Defensive corodinator!!
    Whiz Love you Man, But hire an Offensive cordinator!!!