• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Warner’s revelation 1 p.m. Friday

Posted by Darren Urban on January 28, 2010 – 11:35 am

The Cardinals (and Kurt Warner) have finally made it official — the press conference will be at 1 p.m. Arizona time Friday here at the team’s Tempe facility. The release says it’s a presser being put on jointly by the Cards and Warner. Again, Warner can go either way with what he says, but there is definitely a vibe that this is going to be the end.

Whatever Warner does say, we’ll carry it live here on azcardinals.com on streaming video, and we’ll cover it from all the angles — although I suppose there really is only one angle. Will he or won’t he?

P.S. No, it’s not open to the public. I expect it to be carried live on multiple TV and radio stations. But why wouldn’t you want to watch on azcardinals.com?  ;)

Tags:

109 Responses to “Warner’s revelation 1 p.m. Friday”

1. By Chris B on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Your opinion?

2. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

Kinda hard not to think this is it.

3. By Chris B on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

That’s what I was afraid of. Well, let’s get behind Leinart. He will need a strong run game and I think we found that in Beanie! We have a tough schedule next season. We might not get to 10 wins again, but I believe Leinart can do it.

4. By CardsfaninFlag on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Besides azcardinals.com will the press conference be carried live on any of the tv stations?

5. By Year2Remember on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

All the pieces, the timing, the Cards being involved, Sounds like retirement to me.

6. By TYRONE on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

WILL FANS BE ABLE TO ATTEND?

7. By CARDSFAN1178124 on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

MATT LEINART

8. By Feather on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Is this going to be broadcast on our local news and ESPN, NFL network???

9. By big red fan on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

I applaud the guy no matter what.I lived in st. Louis, and was at the preseason game when he first walked on the field.Everyone in that stadium was astonished at this “nobody backup”.what a great guy.He actually got me (and the whole city) cheering for the hometown rams after years of trying to follow the once hometown cardinals from afar!! He may retire from football, but he is far, far from “done”. Thanks for everything, kurt.

10. By Chad D on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Kurt has embodied everything that we love about the game and this team. He has been a beacon of light and hope for this town. I am truly sad to see one of the “good guys” exit, but I believe that is what will take place tomorrow. I can’t help but to selfishly want another year. I don’t like the feeling that for the first time in 3 or 4 years our team is taking a step backwards during the offseason. Thank you Kurt for your hard work, dedication to your craft and for the exciting memories I will always have. If you end up staying around for another year, and make me eat my words, then just pull up this note then. =)
    Go Cards!

11. By big red fan on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

The best was seeing all the warner jerseys for sale still at the games in stl when he came back as a card. Ha!

12. By jpcards on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Assuming Kurt retires do you think they can still win the division with Leinart as the starter? I feel if he progresses after the OTAs and getting the reps in camp they can, you?

13. By David Corcoran on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Don’t do it Kurt!!!! There’s still time!!

Ah Im only kidding. I really loved the time I spent watching Kurt play,though you only appreciate what you had until its gone. While Im disappointed Kurt is off, its great to see him go out at the top, unlike so many other former greats. I think the uncertainty over several of the stars’ futures on the roster played a critical role in his decision and I dont blame him one bit for it; its going to be a worrying offseason.

While Im commenting here, thanks for all your coverage this season Darren, you and the rest of the Cards’ press corp do a bang up job year in year out. Lets hope we dont start hearing retirement talk..

14. By Ginger on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Will the press conference be on the radio at all? KTAR 620? Let me know when you get time.
    Thanks,
    Ginger

15. By cardinalconvert on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Vinny Testverde, a bust initially, blossoms under Parcells. Matt Leinart, arrogant and foolish when he entered NFL (and lazy). Blossoms behind Warner and Whiz and Russ. Please fans, give Leinart his day in the sun. Don’t throw him under the bus. What do you think, Darren? Do I make sense?

16. By cards fan on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Hopefully, he Favre’s us and comes back!

17. By Frandy on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

I’m pretty sure in an interview this past year (around October)he menioned that he would make an announcement before his final year so that the team and everybody would be informed. This was that same interview that he mentioned he would wants his kids to present him with the H.O.F. award if it were to come. It definetely would be tough to see him leave. I’ll definetely be tied to the computer at 1 tomorrow! Go CARDS

18. By jerry on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

i hope he decides to come back for the last year of his contract.

19. By Flood on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

This sucks so much. First B-Train now Greybeard! You know it is too soon for Kurt to have the “itch” to come back so he is leaving. I have more faith in Leinart than most people but this doesn’t take away the sting of this Friday. If you think Kurt is coming back I will be selling some beachfront Yuma estates on Saturday. Thanks for the ride Kurt. Let the Leinart era begin.

20. By Ben H on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

If indeed this is it, I’d be interested in hearing what his teammates have to say. Publicly I’m sure they’ll say all the right things, but privately, especially the receiving corp and his good buddy Fitz, are no doubt taking the news pretty hard.

Kurt will be missed by everyone. He’s hands down not only my favorite Cardinal, but sports player period, of all time. A class act and inspiration on multiple levels.

21. By Eric on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Maybe he’s going to announce that he will play out his contract and finish after next season, taking a paycut for the team to sign some quality players for his final run for a ring. Let’s think positive here!

22. By Bobf on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

I’ve made my peace with it. On to the future.

23. By Cathy on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Selfishly, I hope he surprises a lot of people and ends up staying. Whatever his decision is, Cardinals fans have a lot for which to thank Kurt. I wish him the best whatever he has to say tomorrow. But again, I hope I’ll be seeing him from my seats in Section 105 this fall.

24. By Jason on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Warner is going to give his tearful goodbye. The room will be filled with a hush… then suddenly Ashton Kutcher comes out and we realize we have all been Punk’d!

Warner then goes on to state that he will return for his final year and that he will play for less money to shore up our defense and make a Super Bowl run.

sigh… a man can dream…

25. By Wampag on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

D you really think he is finished?

oh no I have such a bad feeling McNabb is coming to AZ

I cannot stand McNabb

I live in Philadelphia and have met him and he is no Warner

GO CARDS

26. By Billy Thomas on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

To tell you the truth, I almost wish right now that Kurt was the kind of guy (like Favre) who would retire and then possibly come back near training camp because he misses the game. At least it would give us hope for the next few months if he decides to retire tomorrow. Let’s just pray and have faith that God will lead him to the right decision, be it retirement or not.

27. By Jovy on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Repent! The end of days is near! :)

I actually think Matt will step it up, and am excited about the season.

28. By vivek on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren

While his retirement decision appears an inevitable outcome at tomorrow’s presser, it is definitely hard to digest the fact how Kurt could have chosen this to be an appropriate time to retire, considering the state (at QB) of the franchise..I hoped he would take a more gradual fade so as to mentor Matt over the course of the next season rather than abruptly pull the chair from underneath..

29. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

CardsfaninFlag, Ginger –

You’ll have to ask the TV stations. I’d guess ESPNews and NFL Network will have it. I do think it will be on the radio. Probably multiple stations.

30. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Tyrone –

The press conference is not open to the public.

31. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

jpcards –

I do think they can win the division with Leinart. There is no reason to think otherwise at this point.

32. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

cardinalsconvert –

I think that until Leinart has a chance to do something without Warner over his shoulder, we’ll never really know.

33. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

The Cards are not trading for McNabb. Period.

34. By RandyR. on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Trust Kurt. He’s the man! Done it all…. Superbowl champ, many league championships etc… Love and respect the Man! I’m going to personally miss him… but… Teams HAVE to move on into the future. Kurt has nothing else to prove. He has earned his place in NFL history. As season ticket holders I feel we have more of a say than other fans. My family and I love and respect you Kurt! This team, with our coach, players, management and fans will make this City and State proud again! We’ll miss you! God bless.

35. By joshua on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

if warner does call it quits mcnabb is who will go after thats what i heard on espn and i would love to have mcnabb if warner is not are qb go cards

36. By JC_AZ on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

What are the possibilities of KW retiring as a PLAYER and returning to work with Whiz as an OC? We don’t have one and who better than KW to know what is best about this offense? No one better to be on sidelines to give ML the confidence and discipline that will make him successful… Just a thought!

37. By Dan on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren-With the the new free agency rules in effect, assuming there is no new cba, is a retirement treated the same as losin a free agent? I know the cardscant go after a big contract til they lose on so will this count a losing one?

38. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Joshua –

My head hurts. Once again, everyone, the Cardinals are not going after McNabb.

39. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

JC –

Thanks for the question, but as I have mentioned several times, Warner has no interest in coaching. Zero. Zip. Nada. He will not be a coach.

40. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Dan –

I need to clarify this, but no, I do not believe retirement is the same as losing a free agent.

41. By Markh on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Whatever he decides is the right decision. Seeing a christian succeed in such a tough sport has been a wonderful ride for all of us. I hope he returns next year to allow us to properly send him off into the HOF. Thanks Kurt. And if you need a Tucson connection for First Things First I am ready to help.

42. By Jason on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Lol I feel bad for Darren still having to answer the McNabb questions.

Im not going to lie though, I find it amusing the head aches you are getting over it

Personally, I would love to have McNabb, but we all know thats not going to happen.

43. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Jason –

The idea of McNabb isn’t terrible to me. The idea that fans want to continue to hope for it when it is never going to happen, that’s different.

44. By mike hadzinski on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

im just busting ball’s with this one b/c of the ppl who still talk about mcnabb coming here ? Is it true that jake the snake might come back to the cards i know he is coahing QB’s at a high school butt he is fresh savy vet we seen what he could do under a good team when he was in denver he is in the best shape of his life right now maybe that will take the pressure of the mcnabb talk for you (on a real note do you still talk to jake ever)?

45. By MattAZ on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Just realized, jersey-wise, we’ll be going from “unlucky 13″ to “lucky 7″.

Also interesting, taking Warner’s 13 and multiplying it by 2 (Brian St P.) results in 26 which, when divided by Leinart’s 7, gives us 3.714, or pi once the “7″ digit is removed, leaving us with… Leinart.

…therefore, if Leinart floats on water, he must weigh the same as a duck and be made of wood.

46. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Mike –

I haven’t had a chance to talk to Jake since he left as a free agent. I know he’s happy not playing football up in Idaho or wherever he lives these days.

47. By John on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

I really hope he stays one more year! If he does in fact announce his retirement tomorrow, the NFL will be losing the most humble and classy man to ever put on a uniform. His examples of leadership transcend football, the work ethic and determination he has displayed over his career have truly been an inspiration to me. I will always proudly display the football he signed for me from his car after a home game in September 2007. Thank You Kurt!

48. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

MattAZ –

And that thought wins the award for “Comment I never expected to see on Warner press conference eve.”

49. By Nancy H on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

If Kurt retires it will be a SAD SAd Day for all of us Cardinal fans..He has brought such class to this organization and City..I feel very lucky to have had him on this team..He is a hall a famer no doubt..We will all have to support Leinart and I will do so if this is what we have to do…Go Cardinals..Thank you very Much MR. Warner for what you have done for us!!!I hope you do not retire anytime soon….

50. By Joe2 on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

MattAZ-

Dont bogart that joynt, my friend, pass it on over to me…

51. By TucsonTim on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Hope they have some kind of fan event for Warner.

MattAZ if you don’t stop it, we shall be forced to say ni to you again.

Darren, Philly has 3 QB’s who could probably start for more than half the teams in the league. How can you be so dead sure about McNabb. Aren’t he and Wiz neighbors?

52. By KidStallyn on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

I think he’s just making the announcement that he’s swittching car insurance to Geico! And that this will be his FINAL season in the NFL, and he’s going to make it a grand farewell tour.

And then I woke up…..and came back to reality……

It sux….We didn’t even get to chant on the last game:

ONE MORE YEAR

We’ll miss ya Kurt…..That’s for sure!

53. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim –

Yes, McNabb lives near Whiz. As for being dead sure, I guess all I can say is trust me. McNabb is not going to be a Card. Not this year, at least.

54. By Scott Hornberger on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Well, if this is the end, then I’d like to make a wish and I’ll have to hope the Cardinals are listening. I want to see Kurt Warner throw one more pass ( a TD pass, of course ) as a Cardinal. Here’s how it happens – before the start of the home opener next season, they clear the field and let Kurt lead the starting offensive unit onto the field. They huddle and they let Kurt call whatever play he wants to call for the last pass of his career. They break huddle, line up, Kurt takes the snap and throws one more beautiful pass to either Boldin or Fitzgerald. Whoever catches the pass runs the ball back to Kurt and # 13 leaves the field for the last time to a the loudest ovation that building has ever seen. Seriously, they need to do this. He deserves to go out on a better note than standing in pain on the sidelines in New Orleans watching another team celebrate, ya know? Anybody with me on this? Darren, can you put in a word for us???

55. By Big Red on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

May God Bless You Mr. QB (Kurt Warner). God will be with you in what ever your next mission in life will be. Now, may God be with Matt Lienart in your new roll. Our starting QB. Again, thank you kurt for all the memories. Still I’m hoping you don’t retire.

56. By ThomaSexy on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Is it bad that reading all this is making my eyes tear up while I’m here supposed to be working? Sorry. I don’t want Kurt to go.

57. By ThomaSexy on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Kurt can’t retire. He has to be the first quarterback to take 2 seperate teams to 3 playoffs in a row each. Haha.

58. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Scott –

I think Kurt — waving to the crowd after an emotional overtime playoff win in which he threw 5 TD passes — got to say goodbye to the home folks exactly how he wanted.

59. By Marylou in NY on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been a Warner fan since he was with the Rams and was thrilled when he played with my Giants even if only for a short time. I’m pleased to see all the positive comments on him now because the Cardinal fans were brutal to him on the message boards when he arrived in Arizona as a “washed up QB”. They soon learned he did have something to offer and led them to the Superbowl last year. Maybe the Cards should hire him as their QB coach. Anyhow, I’ll be tuning in on Friday with my Giants Warner jersey on. Good luck, Kurt.

60. By EricCards on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Let’s assume Kurt walks tomorrow, however unfortunate that may be (to me, at least). Our starting quarterback is Leinart, which he has earned and hopefully he shows us the Aaron Rodgers effect of waiting behind a HOF QB to become one of the elite.

However…

We now have 2 QB’s and Mr. St. Pierre is… well… he is who we think he is…

What do we do to acquire a 3rd QB (Likely the 2nd QB in depth chart)? Clearly, it is not McNabb. Do we draft Tebow or someone similar or go the route of signing a vet QB? Pennington, Orton, Tavaris Jackson?

And further, what is the 2010 expectation threshold for Leinart? Does he get benched if we don’t win the division, if we win 6 games, 10 games? I know this is not a matter-of-fact question, but it’s a scary one…

Thanks for your time,
    E

61. By Joe2 on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

From now on, I think all McNabb questions should be answered by MattAZ.

62. By Billy Thomas on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

You know I was thinking. Clark Judge is the only one who seems to give Warner a chance of staying because of some source he spoke with. Maybe, just maybe, we’ll get really lucky, and his source will have been Dick Vermeil! But, it probably wasn’t. But I’ll hang on to that article until 1:00 tomorrow, because I’ll take whatever hope I can get for Kurt to stay. I mean remember, it is possible he is doing this just to get those questions out of the way so he can focus on promotional things next week, whether he retires or not. DON’T LOSE HOPE CARDINAL NATION!!!

63. By Cardinals Gal on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the great memories Kurt. You will be missed!!

64. By Rick in Cedar Rapids on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Whichever way Kurt announces, he’ll always be a proud son of Cedar Rapids. I’ve seen his life story so many times and I still can’t believe he’s for real! I’ve been associated with people who know his mother, and I know of her business … and all I’ve seen of his help since the Flood of 2008 devestated Cedar Rapids and his mother’s business has been truly inspirational, and even above and beyond anything he’s done on the gridiron. Kurt and Brenda and family … kids, mother and all … here’s hoping whatever the coming years may bring are only the best. I’m a midwesterner and a Vikings fan, but the Cardinals and Kurt have a very special place in my heart.

65. By Stephen on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

We need to face the reality that Kurt is gone. We are stuck with a guy who can’t carry our team. We need to go to Cleveland and get Derek Anderson. It’s time we look to the future of our team as a winner.

66. By Big Red Fan on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Agreed, Darren, Agreed.

67. By darrenurban on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

EricCards –

I don’t expect St. Pierre, who is a free agent, to return. As I have written, they will likely use a mid-round pick to draft a guy and yes, pick up a backup through free agency, like a Pennington (although I am not saying that’s who they will sign). The expectation for Leinart is unknown right now. I know Matt thinks he should be able to step in and lead this team to another division title.

68. By mel on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

We lose Warner +11,500,000. we lose Okeafor+5,000,000. we lose Gandy +5,000,000. we lost Berry+1,000,000. we lose St.Pierre+1,000,000.we lose Dansby+9,000,000. Thats a ton of extra money. Are my figures correct?

69. By MattAZ on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Joe2-

I would be honoured to field all McNabb questions. My answer will be the same to every inquisitor: “If you don’t stop asking about McNabb, I shall be forced to say “Ni” to you again…”

Honestly, Kurt has been my favorite Cardinal since he got here. The man transcends sports. The only guy I can think of that makes it hard to decide whether you admire him more as an athlete or a person.

I’m actually taking the retirement so hard that I woke up thinking about our QBs and math crept in during semi-consciousness and it is creepy how close to pi we can get with our QBs jersey’s.

70. By Adam on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, do you think they will be signing most of the RFAs? Like Steve Breaston. Seems like a pretty good deal for the Cards organization with all the restrictions in place.

71. By Alfred on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Well, the end of an era is near! I went to the game in Dec and finally saw him play for the first time. Thanks Kurt & Los Angeles loves you!

Al

72. By Yoli#11 on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

Warner the 13th Warrior-

I became a Cards fan because of you & my number sake (11)! I hope all the best for you & yours in your decision. Only you can know what I best for you & when the time is to quit. We are not behind the scenes to know what is going on but I like many would hope that it means you can be with us one or even more seasons. I am very happy that I got to see you in action in the UoP Stadium whish is the first time I have ever been to a football game. I am probably ONE of the few fans that comes from a place where American football is not regarded much. But I am on that journey to win many more over. I hope that I would one day be able to welcome you there & show how inspirational a person American footballers can be. THANKS for the wonderful time you given to the sport & the positive image you set as an example of civility, calm and courage under pressure.
    VERY TRULY APPRECIATIVE FAN,
    YOLI #11

(PS. To DARREN – I dont know if KW gets to see any of this, but I hope he does. There is no other way I can get my heartfelt gratitude to Kurt, but via this way.)

73. By Dan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the fine memories Kurt, it was a pleasure finally seeing the Cardinals make it to the promise land, we couldn’t have made it without you. No doubt an obvious HOFer. Okay, aside from me thinking I’m talking to Kurt…LOL! Seriously, I don’t think Warner gets enough credit for taking two pretty lame teams to the Super Bowl not to mention his playoff stats and actual limited playing time during his career. All the experts in football land and Kurt Warner wasn’t even drafted….hehe! Go CARDS!

74. By oscarrin on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Im actually glad Warner is retiring,

he was such an inconsistent player and really brought shame to the cardinals organization, he was really a bad player..

lets see what mattie will do!

75. By Swoogleman/Mike on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Say it ain’t so Kurt. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

76. By nor cal cards fan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Kurt is going to play one more year.When training camp rolls around in July, trust me, he’s gonna get that itch again. Mark my words. Who wants to bet against me?

77. By bigredfan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Ya know why I love football? Because less than two weeks after the end of the season, when I feel like I can breathe again, I am glued to every possible retirement, free agent pickup, draft pick, etc. Gotta love football. That said, win or lose, it simply cannot be quite as exciting without Kurt to watch.

After the last two seasons, I don’t think this team can accept the mindset to “rebuild”. They will get a QB they feel they can continue to win with, be it Matt or someone else. If they stick with Matt, it is hopefully because they feel he can step in and get it done.

78. By KidStallyn on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Time for a digital chant to Kurt from the fans. For those with Twitter, post:

#KurtWarner ONE MORE YEAR

Since we didn’t get to chant it as he left us during the Packers game, let’s take it to the Internet and TWITTER!

79. By darrenurban on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Mel –

Those are basically it. But you have to find players to replace those guys too, and there will not be a lot of attractive free agents given the probable CBA rules changes.

80. By darrenurban on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Adam –

I anticipate most if not all the RFAs getting a tender offer.

81. By darrenurban on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Nor Cal –

Me, for one. I’ve been around Kurt too long. If he says he’s done, he’s going to be done.

82. By bigredfan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

If Kurt says he is done, I don’t see him coming back to the game except maybe with an occasional interview here and there. He has always made it clear that his faith and family are first, and football is just a job that he loves doing. But a great job is still a job, and who wouldn’t want to retire a millionaire at 38?

83. By bigredfan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

KURT WARNER wil NOT simply “fade into the sunset”, but what he does next will be BIGGER and BETTER than his football career. I can’t imagine we have seen or heard the last of Mr. Kurt Warner. He ALWAYS strives for EXCELLENCE, and his retirement from the game will not change that drive in him – it will just change where that drive is being used. . . . . . .

84. By Jmondo on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Despite the fact we are all sad…. the silver lining in all of this is that our QB situation isn’t going to be hamstrung as much as initially thought. Matt Leinart deserves a shot… however, he basically has 1 year to prove that he can play in the NFL, I’m not saying the guy has to have a 100+ passer rating and win 12 games… I’m saying he has one year to prove that he can move the football, win games, and play like a starting NFL QB.

If he can’t in 2010, he’s gone, and we can start over from scratch.

If Warner did return for 2010, then basically, we’d have to redo Leinarts contract and extend him even before he proved himself, or just jettison him altogether and go with the totally unknown….

85. By Good W on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Well – as a fan of the cardinals, I do not want to see Kurt go – as a fan of the game – I want to see him go out on a high note – he (along with others within the cards org) has brought a winning metality to the cards.

Thanks Kurt!!!!!!

86. By Chris Robot on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I am sad as well to see Warner go.. if that is the case.

I hope Leinart will take things more seriously than what he has been rumored to do and actually puts in the time to study film and work on his shortcomings (i.e. reading defenses). You can see when he plays that he has all the potential in the world if he just pushes himself to be better in areas that he is lacking.

For those that dislike Leinart, take a look at a certain quarterback that played backup for a few years to the great Brett Favre. (Aaron Rodgers for those that dont know). Give him a chance and hopefully he will give himself a chance to excel and be better.

87. By bigredfan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I for one am glad to see him go out as a Cardinal. I would have looked really awkward at UofP cheering for the Cards wearing a Warner 49er’s jersey. :)
    The Cards gave him a shot, and he made the team better for it. Let’s just hope Leinart doesn’t become the next Bulger! NOOOO!!!!!

88. By dan "Bodybuilding" phillips on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

WHAT ? Man this is plain STUPID STATEMENT “let’s get behind Leinart”

Key! CLUELESS Matt Leinart is done and over get someone else.Anyone who thinks he is worth keeping lacks any skills to coaching in the NFL.Matt never should have even be in the NFL.

Get New Blood into the QB as I said before hire Kurt Warner as QB Coach.

89. By darrenurban on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Dan “Bodybuilding” –

Careful what you are calling stupid. In your own comment, you are calling Ken Whisenhunt clueless and without skills to coach in the NFL, since the head coach does think Leinart is worth keeping. I’m curious to know your football background that provides you with such insight.

And for the 1,000th time, Warner does not want to coach.

90. By dan "Bodybuilding" phillips on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

First Warner never lost a Super Bowl !!
    The defense lost all of them in the last 1 minutes of each of those Super Bowls.By letting the othe team run down and score !

WHAT? Did you guys read the post by oscarrin .

WHAT A COMPLETE FOOL!!

I almost cannot believe he has a NFL Brain in his head .

He call Warner a really bad player ????

So stupid is being a Hall a Fame Player your idea of Really Bad Player ?

And then you use the brainless words for Warner as “inconsistent player” Dude that the dumbest statement lifetime pass rating 93.7 !!!!

WOW!! I really think you need to learn the what the term Hall Fame Player Means …

Kurt Warner has More NFL Record Then Peyton Manning !

Warner took Cardinals where they’d never Been Before and the Rams too . Two 2 aweful team to respect in the NFL . Warner never lost a Super Bowl

91. By Jmondo on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Very obtuse comments Bodybuilding. Seriously….you are a typical no nothing fan. Leinart’s numbers in his really only “true” starter shot with the Cardinals were better than that of the Jet’s Mark Sanchez this season. He just didn’t have the same smothering defense, and dominant running game to lean on.

I’m not ready to proclaim Leinart a great starter yet, he isn’t. However, he does deserve a full time shot to either prove he is an NFL starter, or to prove we need to go to another direction.

Fans that look at a handful of bad passes in limited body of work, or in a preseason games and use that as the basis for their talent evaluation should be locked up. It’s why they are employed as Computer Programmers, plumbers, dentists or whatever else they do….

You aren’t an NFL talent evaluator… lets actually let the guys who do that evaluate … fair enough ?

92. By dan "Bodybuilding" phillips on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

darren urban well he is if he plan to Keep this loser !! But I am sure just like when Cardinals were here in St Louis the Owner has the last word.

And money always been the problem with Cardinals.

Fact is Kurt Warner should have been offered the largest contact ever for a Qb after last year Super Bowl run . By he get a small compared to many other QB in the league .

93. By bigredfan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Please know that some of us actually read your blog and realize that:

A) Mc Nabb is not going to be a Cardinal

B) There will be no other ‘blockbuster’ QB trade

C) Kurt is NOT interested in coaching

D) Whiz is a knowledgable coach who knows what he is doing with his personnel,and was well aware that this situation may happen

Yes – some of us have read what you are saying :)

94. By bigredfan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

dan ‘bodybuilding’:

Are you familiar with the term “comic relief”? Just checking. . . . . :)

95. By darrenurban on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Dan “Bodybuilding” –

I understand you are a big Warner fan. That’s cool. But you are sounding more and more out of touch as you write. Now you are complaining about the contract Kurt got last year — when he will likely walk away from $11.5 million later today?

I’m not going to say money wasn’t an issue in the past for this franchise. But if you want to seriously complain about it now, when in 2009, the Cards handed $11.5 million to Warner, $10 million to Dansby and about $10 million to Adrian Wilson alone (and that doesn’t include $5 million to Gandy, $5 million to McFadden, etc.), I think you’re simply irrational.

And if you don’t mind, I will defer to Whisenhunt on deciding who can play.

96. By darrenurban on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

bigredfan –

I promise — your thoughts are much appreciated. ;)

97. By dan "Bodybuilding" phillips on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

darren urban you ask me my NFL abilities . I can tell you 37 years of watching as many NFL gives me this knownledge.Always believed a NFL team should have a coach watching the game on TV because he gives you a different eye on the game.

It’s like this I watch ever week all the game possible.This is the same way coachs and players learn the game ins and outs .

The biggest problem with Cardinals this year was the coaching.

Sadly to often Whiz thinks he still with the steelers .Cardinal won mostly when they played Warner ball.But I am not saying Whiz is a bad coach, never.

The problem of coarse as I stated earlier in the year to you on twitter defense.

Now with Warner gone offense has lost it’s leader and Matt is no leader.He lacks NFL Skills more Ints then TD in his NFL career.

Also on Warner not coaching ok but he may accept a job as a private player tutor like many explayers do.
    Cardinals offer him to work with a QB .

98. By dan "Bodybuilding" phillips on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Well I bet anyone of you and even you Matt Leinart that next year Carinals season is a loser 6 – 10

Seem you guy forget the years without Warner.
    Again I am from St Louis I know what happens after Warner leaves . Hello Rams Biggest Losers.

By the way you called me Abusive ?
    I found post by Oscarrin very ABUSIVE To Kurt Warner and His Hall a Fame Career .How can any of you Fans let his slam Warner and say nothing back !!

By the way I have heard other ex QB make the same statements about Matt Leinart . Time to Move on …

99. By Tim on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Please don’t go Kurt. Your not just a great quarterback, you are a man of God! The NFL need more men like you! If you call it quits you will never know what you have meant to me and my families lives. A for sure hall of famer on and off the field. One more year please! Your the best

100. By bigredfan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

dan –

we ignore people like that. They are just here looking for an argument.

By the way – I may well be one of the biggest Warner fans you ever meet. I cheered for him every single game even with the Giants. And that was not always a pretty thing to take at work on Mondays. :)

101. By Tbru on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Warner’s revelation

sounds almost biblical

102. By Tbru on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

it will be on espn news

103. By Godwin on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

” DON’T GO, KURT ” !!

104. By glenn on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I”ve gotten a chance to meet Mr. Warner several times during his Pro Bowl appearances and watch him interact with fans during autographs. NFL is defininately saying goodbye to one of it’s classiest people. Never an attitude. Never snubbed us fans. Good luck Kurt.

Aloha

105. By Susan on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

Is it Good Time for retirement wat do u think ? discuss his future with the Cardinals

106. By Raul on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

I guess he did the right thing and I would like to thank him for all the moments he wore a Cardinal uniform. As a long-time fan of the team (since 1976), I’d never seen somebody turn around a team like he did and make it a Super Bowl contender. Thanks to Kurt for that, and for all the memories. A great QB, a great person. THANKS!!!!!!

107. By Ayanfe on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

- Bodybuilding

yo man, that guy was obviously being sarcastic. I find in many situations that sarcasm doesn’t transcend well on the net. nobody thinks Kurt Warner sucks, everyone thinks he’s great. many think HOF, some thinks just short. I think hall of fame first time.

108. By TucsonTim on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

I only hope the Cards organization is a lot more rational than these posts.

First and foremost Warner worked the Cards for alot of coin (private jet to San Fran) to play one more year. His heart wan’t in it and his hot and cold play showed it. He didn’t need alot of time to decide about next year because his mind was already made up.

Leinart is going to be a really good, maybe great QB. Warner didn’t play in the arena league, NFL Europe, cut by the Rams then cut by the Giants because he is an exceptionally gifted athlete. Leinart won the Heisman for God’s sake and could have been a number 1 if he came out a year earlier. My how fast we forget. We’re damn lucky to have him.

Warner got extremely lucky to be at the right place at the right time. He got Breaston, Boldin, and Fitz to throw the ball at and he got to play 4 games against Seattle and the Rams. Yes he was good for the Cards, but the Cards were a lot better for him. No Cards, no HOF talk.

I’m not trying to trash Warner, but he played poorly against the Saints as he did several other times this year (was it 5 interceptions aginst the pathetic Panthers???). Dumping balls to Hightower when there wasn’t that much pressure and Breaston was open right in front of him, throwing to Fitz’s wrong shoulder leaving him out for a big hit on an almost interception instead of a TD (yes, we saw Kurt tap his chest taking the blame), God knows who he was throwing to on the interception decleating play (he did have a receiver open on the left side, and good lord did he really think he was going to tackle somebody, he didn’t tackle Harrison so WTF), he didn’t stretch the defense at all, and he didn’t recognize pretty simple blitzes (watch what Payton does).

His head wasn’t in the game after the first big hit passing to Fumbling Urban (despite the hold by Lyle) You could see it in his face on the sidelines. The Saints were coming after him.

OK he’s gone, crown his ass as someone once said if you want to. Put him on the ring of honor, lobby for his HOF induction, ask him to be a community spokesman, but let’s move on.

The Cards will be just fine with Leinart IF they get a real offensive coordiantor. Dan Fouts was talking on the NFL network about great QB’s and he mentioned the relationship between the offensive coordinator and the QB as being critical and he gave several examples, and he wasn’t talking about Warner or the Cardinals. Whiz was a great offensive coordinator for Big Ben but now he is the head coach and you CAN NOT BE BOTH.

2. Aug 12, 2011: Lunchtime Links 1/28/10: Kurt Warner Done at 1 on Friday? Amare Stoudemire Gone in Salary Dump? | Fanster.com - All Sports. All Phoenix.