On Warner’s signing bonus

Posted by Darren Urban on January 30, 2010 – 9:00 am

There has been plenty of speculation about what happens to the balance of Kurt Warner’s signing bonus now that he retired. Andrew Brandt of the National Football Post (and a former front-office exec with the Packers) clears that up pretty simply: The Cards and Warner prepared for this day last March when he signed the contract in the first place. Warner won’t get half the signing bonus ($7.5 million) because he walks away. That means, as I have written a few times, his choice yesterday cost him $11.5 million (including the $4 million salary he also misses out on). You know you have strong conviction in a retirement decision when you do that.

Tags: ,

47 Responses to “On Warner’s signing bonus”

1. By johnnybluenose on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

with kurt, it’s not about the money.

2. By Rugbymuffin on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Coach Whiz has taught me well.

Yesterday was Kurt Warner’s day. He deserves the respect, the appreciation, and the thanks for the memories that myself and the fans gave him.

But today is Saturday, and I am already looking forward to the 2010 season. That 7.5 million can go a long way with the players we have on this roster.

With Warner gone, the players considered a “core player” might have shifted, but there are still many “core players” that need to be taken care of on this roster.

As Warner said, Coach Whiz, who has learned his football from Joe Gibbes/Bill Cowher would love to have two backs, 3 TE’s and run the ball is going to start to trickle that influence into this team even more. Especially with a QB like Leinart whose bread and butter is the play action.

Beanie Wells better get a personal masseuse. LOL

3. By Patrick on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Like B-train, 2 words: Class Act.

4. By john on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

I think that news is very refreshing, In the time that $ is everything (ah hum…Q) a man to take more stock in his family and conviction than dollars…..GO Kurt!

5. By B-rad on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Wow! I bet he can still find a way to get by on what he has already earned!

6. By Joe2 on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

For the average working person, these sums of money are just rediculous. Sure, he’s passing on 11, but rememeber, he made 11 last year, and I’m sure the Warners have a very healthy bank account. How many millions does a person need to spend in one lifetime? At least Kurt never complained.

With so many ordinary folks just struggling to make ends meet right now, its a little hard to take sometimes listening to some of our players whine that the millions they have arent enough.

7. By Kurt4President on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Reminds me of another man of conviction and honor that walked away from a large “paycheck” to do something “GREATER” with his life. RIP Pat Tillman.

Thank you Kurt for the awesome ride, and best of luck on your future! Also thank you to the Cardinals organization for putting together teams with people like Kurt and Pat. A team we can be proud of…win or lose.

8. By Blair on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Thats why he had his littlw trip to san fran last year right? He doesnt care about the money.

9. By Eric on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Wow, that says a lot about Kurt right there. Darren, out of curiosity, were any of Kurt’s teammates at the press conference yesterday?

10. By darrenurban on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Eric –

The only one I saw was Sean Morey, but I didn’t scan the back to see if anyone popped in.

11. By chem dawg on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

good luck kurt. thanks for the great games youve played as an arizona cardinal. i will forever remember the falcon comeback & the nfc championship game and the packers shootout. not to mention 2 and a half minutes away from a super bowl win. bravo kurt. i only wish we could have protected you better in tha big games.

12. By chem dawg on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

i think it was tha hit he took in the divisional game vs the saints that solidified his decision. taking such a hit and being able to walk away. also the concussion earlier in the season. if it were up to kurt…..he would keep playing. but, he has a wife and children to think about and as a father and husband the decision isnt entirely his. im sure they will all love having kurt around when training camp starts. matt leinart is the man. he is our leader now. and going into training camp matt knows what he has to do. good luck matt.

13. By William on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

You think they’ll retire the #13?

14. By darrenurban on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

William –

The Cards don’t retire numbers. I would guess he is a strong Ring of Honor candidate, however.

15. By chem dawg on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

darren, you think b-train will be in the ring of honor ?

16. By Gabrielle on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Something was mentioned on KTAR about the possibility of Trent Edwards becoming a Card. What are your thoughts on this? Any further word if this could be real?

17. By EricCards on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

In the NFL, do players enter the HOF with a team or as an individual. I believe in baseball they enter with a team, correct? If so, do you see Kurt entering with the Cards or Rams? With what KW has done here, it’d be hard to imagine him sporting anything St. Louis…

Also hard to imagine Larry wasn’t at the presser… wonder if he was?

Thanks,
    Eric

18. By shannon robinson on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Kurt made a big statement for the team by retiring now. This gives Mr. Graves an opportunity to work out his budget for 2010. They’re probably already talking to Rolle which explains his recent comment that he’d love to play in Miami if an extended contract doesn’t work out with the Cards. Let’s stop talking about free agency, because as an elite eight team we can only sign one free agent for less than 3.7 million in one year. No CBA means fewer free agents accross the league so maybe we’re back to trades being more attractive to teams that might need specific positional help. However Darren, if a team signs one of it’s own free agents like Becht or Kreider I don’t think that counts – so those players become valuable to the Cards if they’re resigned on a one year deal (2009 salary plus 10%) – correct?

19. By Kenny on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

The Cardinals don’t retire numbers? What about #8 (Larry Wilson), #40 (Pat Tillman), #77 (Stan Mauldin), #88 (J.V. Cain) and #99 (Marshall Goldberg)?

20. By darrenurban on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Chem dawg –

That’s a good question. Honestly, I’d say no right now. But you never know.

21. By darrenurban on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Gabrielle –

I’d think Edwards would fit the mold for what I expect the Cards to get; a serviceable backup to Leinart but one who likely won’t threaten a starting job unless Leinart falters. Whether it is Edwards specifically, it’s a little early to tell.

22. By darrenurban on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

EricCards –

Fitz wasn’t there. From my understanding, Fitz is out of the country. As for the Hall of Fame, football only has a bust of the player, obviously without a helmet (unlike the cap worn on the bust of MLB Hall guys) so a player doesn’t go in “on a team.”

23. By darrenurban on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Shannon –

A team can keep all of its own free agents without it affecting anything, correct.

24. By darrenurban on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Kenny –

OK, obviously they retire numbers. And I knew that. But all those players fall into a special category. Tillman’s wouldn’t have been retired if he hadn’t had a tragic ending. Same with Cain. Obviously Wilson’s career transcends just being a good player. As great as Kurt was, since he only spent five seasons in Arizona and didn’t, say, win a Super Bowl, I am guessing that would put him in line for RoH but not retiring the number.

25. By Chuck Anderson on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

I will miss watching Kurt Warner play,he was my favorite.I would like to see him coach the Cardinals and mentior Matt Liernert.But most of all i wish him the best whatever he does.Believe it or not when i first saw him play for the iowa Barnstormers after he torched our Rattlers,i said i wish the Cardinals would sign this guy!Then i wished he would come to the Cardinals after watching him play for the Rams.In 2005 my wish came true!Thank you “Captin”Kurt Warner for all the memories!See you at Canton in 2015!#13 forever!

26. By Kenny on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Darren I agree. I don’t think #13 is getting retired. Wilson and Goldberg are the only Cardinals players whose numbers were retired based on performance. The other three met unfortunate and untimely demises. Just wanted to point out that the Cards do in fact retire numbers.

27. By Eric on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren, with the Cards being a final 8 team this year, I think they are only able to sign a free agent after they lose a free agent, if I understood correctly. Does Kurt retiring equal losing a guy to free agency?

28. By Cards Fan on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

How does warner retiring effect the Cards own free agents?

29. By cardss22 on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

I like what Blair has to say. All this talk of Kurt walking on water and not caring about the money…I guess it’s easy to walk away from 11 million when you pull that stunt to get a bigger contract in the first place. He knew he would likely walk away that’s why he wanted the bigger contract because he knew he would only collect half.

I like Kurt and he’s a great player, but good lord we don’t need to canonize him.

I welcome the Leinart era, if he does succeed anyway, which I hope he does. I think it’s good timing with the young talent we have now. The offense is packed with young talent, hopefully we can get a couple more young talented players on defense as well.

30. By Tbru on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

Ring of honor for sure. Doubt they will retire the number, but it might be a long time before it is ever issued again.

31. By Billy Thomas on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Gabrielle-

I’m from Buffalo, so I tend to know more about the Bills QBs than most people (mostly because I’m forced to watch the games). To be honest, we in Buffalo really do think Trent can be successful. We used to cheer for him to play instead of J.P. Losman. Trent is very accurate, but there’s a reason he’s called “Captain Checkdown”. That’s because Beanie would end up with 10 receptions by the end of the day. I don’t know if Trent has what it takes to be even a back-up QB for this team, because he fears the deep ball and the INTs too much. I mean we had T.O. and could barely get a deep pass. To be honest, for the Cardinals I think I’d prefer J.P. Losman. He can be very good with protection, but since he likes to hang on to the ball, if the protection breaks down he can struggle by getting sacked. However, if I want a guy who can pass the ball to the big name receivers and lead a pass-heavy offense, I think I would prefer J.P. over Trent. If I wanted a guy to be a game-manager, I’d prefer Trent over J.P. After watching the Bills for years upon years, I’ve learned that with bad protection, everyone is destined for failure.

32. By shannon robinson on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren – How bad is St. Pierre’s back? Were there thoughts of putting him on IR? Surgery? Is he contemplating retirement? Would the Arizona fan base welcome back Andrew Walter? Oakland is carrying him as their fourth quarterback on their roster. What was the evaluation like on Josh McCowan – I liked him as a QB, always remember that TD pass versus GB to win the game – was he seen as immature or not a leader?

33. By darrenurban on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Eric –

No I don’t think retirement is the same.

34. By darrenurban on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Cards Fan –

Affect the Cards’ FAs in what way?

35. By darrenurban on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Shannon –

Brian’s back isn’t great. He was never in need of IR, but it was sore if he did much. Surgery is possible, but apparently no sure thing. I don’t know if he’s wondering about retirement, but I know he is concerned about his future and if it is going to be a problem going forward. I don’t think he’ll return regardless. I don’t think Walter has much shot to return anywhere in the NFL. McCown would be an interesting story if he came back. I don’t think there was ever a problem with McCown as a man — he is a lot like Warner in many ways off the field — just that there was no spot for him with Leinart and Warner around.

36. By Cards Fan on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Does it have any effect on keeping Dansby or Gandy or Okeafor? Or have any effect on working deals out with either Rolle? Dockett? Boldin?

Or will the Cards just progress as if Warner didn’t retire in terms of contract opinions?

37. By darrenurban on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Cards Fan –

I don’t expect Okeafor to return regardless of Warner’s status. I think they had a plan to offer those players “x” amount of dollars with or without Warner, so I don’t think they are intertwined.

38. By WNYfan on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

A one of a kind classy guy. Kurt was awesome to watch and as some of the postings on azcardinals.com has stated, was great to see the team winning and making history. Absolutely good luck to Kurt in anything he does going forward. Would love to see him still active in football in some way shape or form.

39. By TucsonCardsFan on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Given the significance of the event and EVERYONE knew it was his retirement, don’t you think it a little strange that only Sean Morey was there?

40. By cardevil on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Congrats Kurt Warner than you for the memories. Let us hope that Matt Leinart can get control and not have panic arm like he has shown us in the past, hope that st. pierre can challenge matt for the starting job

41. By TucsonTim on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Hey johnybluenose -

Why do you think Warner flew in a private jet to San Francisco last year. Do you think he just wanted to get some seafood at Fisherman’s Warf? Get real man!

42. By Cards Fan on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Makes sense, I hope they hold tight to their beliefs on what those guys are worth.

43. By Stop Hating On Lienart on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

hey cardevil-
    what do you mean the panic arm he has shown in the past?? you talking about his rookie year? the year he got hurt? or when he comes into the games for a series or two in garbage time? get real and think about the situation before you start doubting a guy
    st pierre is a solid back-up but hes not gonna beat out lienart

44. By Wampag on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey D I know it’s super super early but Goddell has announced that the uncapped year is all but certain and I wanted to discuss the “Final Eight” rules

As a team that made it to the divisional round we can only sign a free agent if we trade or lose a free agent of the same amount of money to another team?

is that right?

meaning that when we lose Dansby for $$$ we can then go after someone for that money? and what about with the lose of Warner does that count as losing a player?

can you explain it please

thanks

GO CARDS

45. By darrenurban on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

Here are a couple of items I have already posted on the subject, both on the final eight and with links further explaining it all.

Warner’s retirement does not help the Cards in free agency. And if the Cards lose Dansby, yes, it opens up an avenue for a free agent.

46. By Wampag on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

47. By Cards Angel on Feb 1, 2010 | Reply

We all knew Kurt was a class act and wish him the best of luck and health in the future.+