• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Karlos has always been consistent

Posted by Darren Urban on February 16, 2010 – 9:53 am

As free-agent-to-be Karlos Dansby has made the radio rounds over the weekend, he has been asked a lot of different ways where he’d want to go. He goes on a show based back East, and the Giants suddenly are an attractive team. He spends time on a Miami talk show and the Dolphins become a team he has long envisioned himself playing for if he had a chance. There are talks about “wish lists” and the like. (Dansby went on XTRA 910 to insist “I can look good in any team, actually I can fit in anywhere.”).

Here’s the deal, and it’s not exactly breaking news: Dansby has one team on his wish list — the team that ponies up the most money.

I say this not to slight Karlos in the least. But any notion the money won’t be, if not the sole factor, at least 98 percent of the reason Dansby will end up wherever he ends up is fallacy. ‘Los will say he wants “a team to step up to the plate and say, ‘Dansby, we want you. Dansby, we need you. You are our type of guy and we are going to ride with you.’ ” — which he did to radio station WQAM — but that is just euphemistic language for “I want to be one of the highest-paid players out there.”

That makes sense. The more money invested in a player, the more important they must be to the team — at least, in theory.

It’s more than that, in some ways. The contract game changed for Dansby when he watched Calvin Pace get wined and dined (and helicoptered over New York, in the case of the Jets’ sales pitch to Pace) before Pace got showered with money. Dansby always believed he was better than Pace, so he should get all that and more, right?

Darnell Dockett and Anquan Boldin chose to take extensions earlier in their career in part for the security, and obviously it has affected them down the road. The Cards were more leery of doing something like that with Dansby because of his injury and practice issues earlier in his career, and by the time they decided to shift gears, Dansby got it in his head he’d rather test the open market. That’s been delayed because of two years with the franchise tag (and do not overlook the fact Dansby has been essentially playing for a contract for three seasons now, so we will see if anything changes when he gets a long-term deal).

But Dansby has never changed his tune. He has always held fast to this ideal of hitting the open market, to the point where he scuttled an extension last offseason after the team and the agent thought they were close to making something happen (and Dansby changed agents soon after).

Dansby wants his chance at a helicopter ride.

Tags: , , , ,

83 Responses to “Karlos has always been consistent”

1. By Aaron Lone-Eagle on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Well Cardinal fans, here is my opinion, LET HIM GO!!! I am so sick and tired of all these professional athletes complaining about getting paid. Our country is in such financial turmoil, that our unemployment rate nation wide is up to an all time high. We have Servicemen overseas putting their lives on the line everyday for chicken scratch so that these professional athletes can go out every week to play a game, a game for crying out loud for millions and millions of dollars. And what is the worst part, they want more. It makes me physically sick. Let Dansby go. i am quite sure that there is another player out there that is just hungry enough to prove what he has and what he can bring to the table. Look what happened with Antonio Smith. He decided to go with the money, The Texans didn’t even make the play-offs. Yes they came close, but so did the Cardinals also come close to winning the Super -Bowl. I know that this whole blog makes it sound like I dislike Dansby, Well I don’t, I just dislike greed, and it seems like that is what professional sports is becoming. I am a full time student, but in order to be able to but a house, I have to go back to work. So I will be working full time, be a full time student, and make time for a family. These athletes are practically given homes as well as a lot of other things, just because they are athletically talented. I can’t even afford to go to a game, because of the cost. I love sports, but I think all athletes are paid too much for playing a game. Sorry for going off on a tangent, but I think this issue needs to be resolved.

2. By Chris on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Funny how you didn’t hear much of Dansby until the time from his last season under contract, and then the last two seasons with a franchise tag.

3. By CardsRep928 on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Let dansby walk…he doesnt fit the mold on of 3-4 backer he is a better speed/cover LB, than a power/blitzer anyways. He isnt patrick willis or ray lewis.

4. By Feather on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Dansby is consistant, but to his credit being a sold player and consistancy is only as good as his role. Never has he put a team on his back and transformed. Remember we were 10-6 this year and 9-7 last year 8-8 the yr before. Consistantly our defense has given up points and thus losses. Our defense needs a complete overhaul. Linebackers to the the corners. This has and will always be A-Dubs team. Nine-0 and DRC and Rolle are the foundation. All of them probowlers. Dansby?? He is not worth the money, for that price we could have signed J.Vilma or chased Suggs. Nope we stuck with him and this is how he repays us by thinking he is worth more. What we need to do is find the next Patrick Willis. Maybe a Daryll Washington or Brandon Spikes to fill the void.

5. By Erik on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

This guy leaving is bigger than most people think. He’s our best LB, AND we’re already thin at that position as it is. So, we go out and get some guys in the draft and maybe free agency. Who do you guy’s think we can just plug in to replace one of our playmakers and best tacklers?
    Darren in your opinion how do you see the scenario playing out?

6. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Great point Darren about Karlos basically playing in a “contract year” the past three seasons. He sure did turn it on in front of a national audience during the Packer’s playoff game, didn’t he? Like you said, it will be interesting to see how landing the long-term deal he has been working for so long affects his play and practice habits.

What irks me more than the money demands, is the fact that the Cardinals are not even on his stated wish list of teams to play for. I don’t know if that means he just knows the Cardinals aren’t going to pay him the crazy money so he doesn’t mention the team on his list, or that he doesn’t want to play for the Cards even if they would be willing to match any offer he got. If I had to guess, I’d say Karlos knows, and he knows the Cardinal’s know, he isn’t a top-3 Patrick Willis-type linebacker worth 10-12 million a year plus a big, fat guaranteed signing bonus.

That said, this is a business, and I can’t blame Karlos for testing the waters and seeing what teams are going to offer him so he can konw once and for all what his value is to other teams — even though it’s unlikely to be close to the perceived value in Karlos’ head.

I think Karlos is headed for the kind of humbling experience Ray Lewis went through in 2009 when he tested the FA market for the first time in his career — and Karlos Dansby was not Ray Lewis’ equal last year. Add in the possibility of a work stoppage in 2011, and I think Karlos is in a for a rude, “this is a business,” awakening come Spring.

7. By Keith on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Well said Aaron. The reality that is hard for fans to accept is that this is simply a job to most of the players. Therefore things like Playoffs, Superbowls, playing on good teams, etc all comes second to the almighty dollar. It sucks, but its true.It would be great to see these players (who are doing so well thanks to the money the fans continue to spend) show a little bit of tact during these tough times and tone down the “show me the money” attitude and rhetoric. Anyways, if all Karlos cares about is being the highest paid LB, and his helicopter ride, then i also say let him go.The Cards can better invest that money elsewhere.

8. By cards fan on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

That’s too bad. I would think it’s not the best idea in the world to be viewed as a guy who just wants money? Why would you pay that much money to a guy who’s main concern isn’t winning a super bowl or having a chance to win. Either some bad team will pay him or he won’t get the deal he wants, would be my guess, and then he will probably blame the Cards because they franchised him for 2 years, once he doesn’t get paid like he thought he would.

9. By The Shoe on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

We could use him… but we don’t need him…

10. By cards fan on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

When Dansby leaves, what would the most logical option be for a replacement? Draft? Free Agency? A guy on the team now?

Seems like the draft would be a risky option to replace a guy who played a big role on the defense.

11. By Flood on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I have read the last few blogs and while this comment doesn’t go with this paticular article it needs to be said. I have noticed with all the Whisenhunt extension talk that a lot of fans have been taking cracks of going back to Denny Green and how bad he was. Ok, he lost his mind after the Monday Night Meltdown (frankly, I don’t blame him). However, shouldn’t an article be done to inform fans of what he did to put the train at least on the track (2004 draft, signing Warner, etc.) I know this has to do a lot with Mr. Graves but Dennis Green as always been considered a great evaluater of talent and building a solid team (1990′s Vikings) and him and Mr. Graves worked together on that. I am taking nothing away from the Whizard of AZ (you like? If not, it’s the wife’s creation) as a coach, but Denny doesn’t deserve that much crap. If you need a freelancer, I will gladly do it. Your thoughts?

12. By Former Steeler Fan on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Right on, Aaron!!!

Draft a hungry LB and watch him play (for free agency and millions!!!).

13. By John on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Dansby is a good, not great player. He is solid at what he does but is not a game changer (minus the playoff game) . His departure will allow the Cards to sign a big name free agent and loss of an inside LB in the 3-4 can be absorbed. I would love to sign Danta Robinson CB,giving us 4 probowlers in the secondary. This would allow Mcfadden to become the nickelback and Toler to be that dime back.
    Others on My wish list would be one of these 3; (provided no tag)
    Casey Hampton NT
    Aubrayo Franklin NT
    Ryan Pickett NT
    Also Joey Porter when released.
    Draft could get a passrusher, ILB (sean Witherspoon please) and TE with 1st 3 picks

Darren, here is a trade that is a little out there. What do you think? Boldin going to the Ravens for LT Jared Gaither. Hold on hear me out. The Ravens have “Mr Blindside” to move to the left side and a pretty good right tackle in Adam Terry. They also are in need of a vet WR if Derick Mason retires.Cant leave Flacco with no WR’s. Gaither is a RFA looking to get a nice check and the Ravens have 24 RFA and FA’s to sign. Could work. If not Gaither, same situation in San Diego and Marcus Mcneill.

14. By Dave on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

I could say a lot of detrimental things about Karlos, but suffice to say he was not worth the franchise tag $$$ he earned last year and I can’t see paying the guy more than about 5 mil per year. 6 MAX.

Bye Karlos. That was a good play you made to end the game against the Packers though! Good luck out there too.

15. By wampag on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

He deserves all he can get…he played every down he could for us and never was a distraction….I wish we would just come out and resign everyone

Hey D I am confused as the rest of us and I am sure you have answered this

but what if the Cards resign Boldin and Dansby and everyone else they like for decent $$ with no cap what happens when there is a cap?

does that make sense?

16. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Feather –

To be clear, my reference to Dansby and consistent had to do with his stance on free agency.

17. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Erik, Cards fan –

Other than Dansby leaving, it’s a little early to guesstimate what will happen. You are right, he is the Cards’ best linebacker and the team was already thin. Until I can see what players are available in free agency — and get a sense of the Cards’ overall FA plan — it’s tough to predict.

18. By Rugbymuffin on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Regardless of what happens I have a lot of respect for Dansby for how he plays the game, and for how he handled being franchise tagged both years.

I would love to see him back but all indications is that he will command a HUGE contract. There is too much talent on our current roster to sacfrice two or three players for one.

All I can do is hope that something will happen, if not I wish Dansby the best of luck.

19. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Ottis –

Given that Dansby is one of the few “marquee” free agents about to hit the market, I don’t see such a “humbling experience” coming.

The fact he never mentions the Cards on a “wish list” (which he insists he doesn’t have anyway) doesn’t bother me. If they were going to pay him the money he wanted, he’d know by now. Like I said, the team that ponies up is going to be his No. 1 choice.

20. By Andre on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

I say we let him go too. So long as some team offers him more money than he is of value to us. I say we focus on getting young players who want to show the NFL what they are worth. Oh and keeping docket and getting a good Pass rusher, among other things.

21. By Tbru on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

He is well within his rights to test the market and get what he can get, I would rather use the money for depth than to over pay a single player. Character, commitment to the organization and the community are important factors to a team. He is going to be filthy rich no matter what. I am more interested in what a player can bring to the team that what the team will give to the player. Let him walk and use his money and roster spot for some players that are fully committed to winning, and not just trying to squeeze every last nickel and helicopter ride out of the team. If playing for Washington or Oakland for a ton of money and never seeing another Super Bowl are where Karlos’s interests lie, so be it. Remember we have to loose someone to be able to sign someone else.

I think Rod & Wiz are as good as anyone at building a team and not just showcasing a few princesses that might help at the gate.

Now if we are able to resign him at a price that makes sense for the team, I would love to have him back.

22. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Cards fan –

Let’s be clear here. Every player just wants money. And I believe every player wants to win a Super Bowl. There are varying degrees. But if this is, for instance, Karlos’ one big chance at a huge payday (you know, aside from the $18 million he has collected the past two seasons), how can you blame him if the one team willing to give him $30 million is the Detroit Lions and he signs there? (And these are just hypotheticals). Super Bowls are awesome, but in the end, they don’t pay off like eight digits on the paycheck.

23. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Flood –

I think Denny played a role with some of the building blocks, no question. But as a reporter covering this team during those seasons, I also believe this team woefully underachieved with Denny at the helm and was in chaos much of the time. I think the credit — and criticism — Green gets overall is just about right.

24. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

John –

Interesting trade idea, although I doubt either team is going to swap a young starting tackle for an older wideout when both want new contracts. You are going to pay a tackle before a receiver.

25. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

There is a prevailing school of thought that, whenever the new CBA is reached, there will either be a cap or some sort of cap-like mechanism. In that case, yes, any team that would go hog-wild with its money this offseason could find themselves in a bad, bad place — reason No. 87 on why there likely won’t be crazy spending despite an uncapped year.

26. By CARDSFAN1178124 on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

HE’S GONE

27. By The Shoe on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I would assume we get compensation if Dansby goes with free agency. If that is correct, what compensation might we be getting?

28. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

The Shoe –

The only possible compensation if Dansby leaves as a free agent would come in a compensatory draft pick in 2011, but that would be factored in with the other free agents the Cards lose and whatever free agents they end up signing.

29. By Patrick on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Los: good but not great. wants great money. C-ya. The Whiz’ way. It werks.

30. By Jmondo on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Can teams such as the Redskins and Cowboys still bilk the system ? Even if we have a salary cap again for 2011 and beyond, what happens if somebody say signs Dansby for a $30Million dollar deal and basically pays him all of the money up front (Not to say any owner would ever do that) – but when the cap comes back in place… you’d basically have a superstar player that wouldn’t effect your cap at all.

31. By johnnybluenose on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

i don’t see dansby being a better player in the future than he has been up to now. and he’s going to want a three or four year deal for big money. it makes no sense for our cardinals to do that. let him go and get some young athletes and teach them how to play. we will be much better off. sorry about that, karlos. don’t want to be rude, just realistic.

32. By Joe2 on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

You say, “Every player just wants money.” Bull.

Thats why fans love athletes like Ali, who gave away his title, his fortune, and faced prison for his convictions, or Pat Tillman, or even Adrian Wilson, who could have left many times for more money, but stayed loyal to his team.

You see it in every line of work, whether carpenter, cook, or ditch digger — guys who claw to the top no matter what, or other guys who take pride in a job well done, in loyalty, in his workmates.

Just becuz we live in the capitalist center of the world where we get taught that we’re all supposed to worship at the throne of the Holy Dollar, that doesnt make it right — it just makes people like Karlos believe that getting paid 7 digits is somehow insufficient.

33. By KidStallyn on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Didn’t Lightning McQueen get Toe-Mater a Helicopter rise at the end of Cars?? Hahaha…. Maybe Los will end up in DynaCoe Blue instead of Rusty’s Red where he belongs…..

34. By vsancards on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

I think we need to take a look at what this team is trying to model itself after. The Steelers have always been good at developing linebacker talent.

I trust Whiz/Graves to bring in a suitable replacement or draft pick to replace Karlos if he is wooed by a really good deal.

35. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Jmondo –

Yes, that can happen. You could, for example, give a player a five-year, $10 million deal salary-wise and a $20 million roster bonus in the first year and you’d be fine.

36. By Lone-Eagle on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you in regards to all players want to get paid, and yes it is true all players want to win a Super Bowl, and understandably a Super bowl ring doesn’t pay the bills, and for the record, I am not just jumping on Karlos Dansby, I am refering to every single big named athlete out there that says “Show me the money” Let’s take Dansby’s salary over the last two years. 18 million!!! First of all, I highly doubt most people see that kind of money in a lifetime. He is seeing it ni a span of less than 2 years. I could retire and open up a business on that kind of money and never again have to do any real work, as well as send my kids to school, as well as if properly invested, my kids would be set for life. I was listening to Mike & Mike this morning on 1490 A.M. and Eric Casillias was subbing for M. Greening. He was stating actual facts. People are losing their jobs and their homes, families living on the streets, going hungry, wondering what tomorrow might bring, and these athletes are crying about a big payday, because someone else got one. i am sorry, but it is very difficult for me to shed a tear for them. It must be nice to live in a big house and have maids, and personnel chefs, as well as personnel trainers, and nice expensive cars. I have been living in a two bedroom, one bath apartment for 5 years now, and i am grateful to have a roof over my head. I deciced to go to school to improve my livelihood, as I said in an eariler blog, but unfortunatly I have to go back to work fuul time so that I may get a piece of the american dream and buy a house. The Cardinal Fans love Dansby, all he seems to care about is the, what was it eight digits on the paycheck!

37. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Joe2 –

Whoa there. You’ve come up with three examples out of how many thousands of athletes? I’ll give you Tillman. Ali was amazing in what he gave up, but that didn’t stop him from fighting past his prime for some big paychecks either. Adrian has certainly been loyal. But he couldn’t have left “many” times. He could have left twice, the two times he signed extensions. Oh, and he brought home close to eight digits himself this past year, so it’s not like Wilson fell on his sword for the greater good. He clearly has been loyal, and that’s one of the reasons he is a fan favorite. But he has been rewarded for that loyalty.

Fans love the players that help their teams. If the Cards suddenly were willing to give Dansby what he wanted, there might be some grousing that he was overpaid by some, but if he went and made the game-winning play in the season opener, it would be forgotten. Fans (and web reporters) who were suddenly offered double their salary to move to the competing company will almost always go. Players are no different. We can romanticize pro sports as much as we want, but it’s about the money. Players can want money and still take pride in the job they do.

38. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Lone-Eagle –

Here’s the thing, though. In Karlos’ case, he’s not asking any one to shed a tear for him. And if Dockett becomes a free agent, he’ll be looking to get paid. And after 2010, it’ll be time to look at Larry Fitzgerald’s contract again and if the Cards don’t give him big money, he too will look elsewhere.

Let’s put it this way: If you had $18 million in the bank, yet someone came to you and said, ‘You can have another $18 million now or wait and possibly get another $25 million in two months” — knowing the $18 million isn’t going anywhere, by the way — wouldn’t you see what you could get? You wouldn’t say, “Never mind, I already have $18 million.” No one would.

39. By Nick Pepe on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren –
    My dad always said “be careful what you wish for, you just might get it”. And Mr. Dansby so should take note of that. He is an integral part of pretty good, generally pretty young football team with leadership at coach and on the field. He should thank his lucky stars he plays in Arizona. That being said an integral part is just that, a part not the whole. A part can be replaced. Let Mr. Dansby go. If he doesn’t want to be here and be a part of this playoff ride then let him be on his way. They can address other players needs as well as vacancies that will exist. I very much enjoy your posts.

40. By CardsRep928 on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Joey Porter and Larry Foote, will do just fine with brown and davis, and an infusion of talent through the draft for our LB situation. Think of the swagger porter would bring at the very least. Correct me if I’m wrong but werent Foote, Haggans, and Porter all part of the Steelers team that beat the seahawks in the SB?

41. By Eazy E on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Karlos is a very good player but he’s asking for more than he’s worth. The cards reportedly offered him and his agent a bart scott like contract last year (6yr. 48 mil 22 mil guaranteed). His agent agreed and was close to an extension but dansby fired him and hired a new agent to get him more money. He’s not worth that much more money than that. He’d be making 8 mil per and guaranteed almost half of it. So honestly, i hope he gets this HUGE deal on the market, because the bigger the deal, the bigger contract we can get in place of him. Guys like a Julius Peppers or Dunta Robinson really interest me. I would definitely like a hampton or wilfork in the middle of our 3-4 but they’ll most likely get franchised. We already can sign a free agent 5.5 mil or more and if dansby leaves, we could pursue another big name free agent.

42. By Joe2 on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Yes, I pulled three examples out of the air, but you know that there are thousands of athletes in all sports who dont just go for the highest dollar. You see it all the time — guys who pass on the dollar to play near home, for a contender, for a certain coach, who choose security over higher pay, finish a career with a team instead of moving for money, retire early choosing health over pay, etc, etc. I’m sure we can agree, it’s not always just about more money.

And what I am saying is that it should not be the bottom line. Of course, everyone wants to feel justly compensated, but something is wrong with selling yourself to the highest bidder — thats what slavery was — going to the highest bidder. In today’s world, thats slavey to the buck. We shouldnt accept it without question, or defend it as just being normal. To his credit, Los has never whined, but plenty of others do, and I will admit that I am a bad person — I have only so much compassion in my heart — I have trouble feeling sorry for millionaires. But isnt it sort of implicit, anyway, that poor Los cant get by on his 18 million? Like you, I have no problem with someone testing the waters to see what theyre worth, but your story was about how he would go to whoever paid most, period. Is that to be admired? Is that what we should teach our children?

43. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

CardsRep –

Yes, I believe that is correct.

44. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Joe2 –

This idea that Dansby “can’t get by” on what he has already made — and you’re not the only one to bring it up — is beside the point. We all try to maximize our earning potential. Some people are just fortunate enough that they can max out in the millions instead of the thousands. You’re way off base with the “slavery” comparison too, since Karlos gets to pick and choose his salary and place of work. By your way of thinking, anyone in the world who takes a job because it pays the most money is a “slave.” I can’t agree with that.

Again, Karlos isn’t asking anybody to feel sorry for him. And I wasn’t in the article either. I was trying to point out that a) Dansby doesn’t really have a favorite destination if he becomes free because it is tied to what money he is offered and b) he has never hid that fact.

You’re correct also that sometimes, players make choices based on some of those other factors. But this argument, I assume, was started because Dansby wants more money on the open market than what the Cards were willing to pay last offseason with their Tatupu-like offer. In many of the cases with your above points, I would guess there isn’t a significant difference in cash left lying on the table. Very, very few guys — up for their one big free-agent contract in the NFL — pass on the dollar to play near home or for a contender. Those that do usually already have their one big deal in their back pocket, or the money being offered isn’t that different. Retiring early doesn’t count in my mind, because the players that do that already have a healthy bank account (unless they are forced from the game, and then it isn’t their choice).

Maybe I have become cynical covering pro sports for as long as I have, but it’s not about admiration for me, so maybe such things don’t affect me the same way. As you mentioned in your previous post, this is our culture — so pro athletes or no, Karlos Dansby or no, my guess is the children (and I have two) already get a heavy dose of more-money-is-better.

45. By charlie lynch on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

I think i speak for allot of cardinals fans by saying that i don’t want him to leave, hes a good linebacker and a solid tackler. He and Gerald Hayes have proved themselves a efficient player ” when there not injured” and if we can keep him by all means KEEP HIM! Personally i think he would be a bigger loss to the franchise then Anquan Boldin, its proven we can win games without Anquan. once you take out our dominant middle backer, the captain of the defense things get complicated. although i like both Anquan and Carlos, it obvious Dansby is the greater loss. But if he wants to parade around as the highest payed player then i say “screw him”.

46. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

I agree with much of what has been said. I think Dansby is a very good LB, not a great one. Greatness requires consistency and he has not been consistent enough. I also have been pretty turned off by the very public comments over the years which reflect no real loyalty to the Cardinals and just a total desire to get paid. Well…let someone else pay him. Or, should I say, OVER-PAY him? He’s not a player the Cardinals need to overpay for. Give that money to Dockett or Rolle instead. It’s the attitudes of players like Dansby that make me appreciate guys like Adrian Wilson. He’s the model of consistency on the field, and he’s shown that you can be loyal to a team and still get paid. That being said, however, I’m sure there will be moments when we will miss Karlos.

47. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

The unrestricted free agent pool is basically an all-but-dried-up pond this year, so relatively speaking, I guess Karlos could be considered an elite player in this year’s UFA market. But does that mean teams will bid above their pre-determined value price for Karlos this year — versus any other year — just because the pool around him in 2010 is so thin? I doubt it, but only time will tell. The Cardinals certainly haven’t bought into that rationale to date.

Given your repeated caveat about teams likely being reluctant to spent big money on free agents with the upcoming CBA negotiations and potential work stoppage, I’m sorta surprised you don’t think Karlos has a chance to get humbled during his negotiations.

To define humbled, we need to know what Karlos thinks he’s worth. Since Karlos won’t tell us that up front, I’m guessing he thinks he’s worth as much or probably more than the Jets paid former Cardinals LB Calvin Pace. Fair assumption?

From ESPN.com (March 3, 2008):

“Pace reached an agreement with the New York Jets on a six-year, $42 million contract on Monday. The deal, negotiated by agent Pat Dye Jr. and his associates at Atlanta-based ProFiles Sports Management, includes a signing bonus of $20 million and $22 million in total guarantees.

“The contract, which makes Pace one of the highest paid linebackers in NFL history, will pay out $26 million in its first three years.”

I don’t think Dansby gets a deal worth as much. Certainly not this year with all the labor unrest. If Dansby gets anything less than Pace did, I would consider Dansby humbled because I view Dansby as a better player leaving Arizona in 2010 than Pace was in 2008 (and I’m sure Dansby shares that opinion).

If you agree on that simple definition of humbled (total contract value divided by number of years in contract), and believe Karlos will sign for more than Pace did (and not be humbled), let’s bet dinner on it in Flagstaff. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I will be making the trip to Flagstaff from Wisconsin for a few days during Card’s training camp. How about it? :)

48. By neto on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

let him go,he is getting wore out…..

{dansby}

49. By Keith on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren, please tell us that if the Niners offer you more money to blog for them you wont leave! ;)

50. By CardsRep928 on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

I disagree, let dansby, rolle, dockett, boldin and any other holdover from the pre “Whiz” era go…The bidwills showed they will pony up when they feel its earned (adrian wilson)…its a new atmosphere for those of us who sat in sun devil in august/september. Look at what they found in DRC, CC (which will be the best next season), wear (hightower) and tear (wells), breaston, and an emerging doucet…….IN WHIZ I TRUST…so make sure before anyone gets a new contract he is locked up for at least 10 years.

51. By NM Cards Fan on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Well, unfortunately football is a business, a job for the players, and a game.

That being said, my dad always said “know what you are worth” and I have all my life, that is why I have earned more than the industry average in my career. I have produced for it and know that my salary is earned.

Nothing is different for the players, I agree that greed has entered sports, in the past players paid for nothing but the love of the game and could only dream of the salaries today. I don’t want to see Dansby go, or any players that make up my team, but those days are long gone when a player played for the same team until he couldn’t play anymore. It is sad, but it is the culture of our country and I do not see it changing anytime soon. Sad, but fact. Karlos will leave, Q, and Dockett too if they don’t get the money they feel they are worth.

52. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Ottis –

You should know by now that NFL employees cannot wager. ;)

That said, teams will be reluctant in general. But I am guessing a prime 3-to-7 players will still hit it big. And I am guessing Karlos will be one of them. We’ll see. You could be right. Then again, if Karlos gets more than what the Cards were offering, you can’t say he made the wrong choice either.

53. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Keith –

The Niners would have to offer me a ton more money. Have you seen the cost of living in the Bay Area?

54. By darrenurban on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

NM Cards –

See, I disagree with one premise — that in the past, players played for the love of the game. They did only dream about these salaries, but even back in the day, all pro athletes wanted more money. Once upon a time, owners had complete control, and that’s the only reason guys didn’t go to the highest bidder. There was no free agency in any sport. It’s foolish to think Jim Brown or Johnny Unitas wouldn’t have wanted to test the market if a) there had been free agency and b) the NFL made as much money as it does today (comparatively, of course).

55. By Nathan H on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

All this talk about money and pro athletes is intriguing. To me, I strongly disapprove of the Cynical approach of things, that everyone wants money and more of it, sure. However, loyaty is definately very nice, to me it takes away from the game when players are just playing like it’s a business. Without the fans they have nothing, nothing to play for or money to make. Loyalty is important to people, imagine if American Athletes competed for other countries in the Olympics for money, alot more people would be objecting to that, Politicians that vote for something because they can make more money that way, or factories that ship their jobs overseas to save on production cost, people hate it. So this Greed is not good it hurts the NFL, it leaves the fans to be more cynical and disenfranchised, that if it’s just a business then the NFL just wants to milk us for all we’re worth and it makes us think things like ” it’s just rigged.” Like New Orleans convienently winning the SB on the 5 year Anniversery of Katrina, or the Patriots winning after 9/11. (I don’t personally believe it’s rigged, but sometimes you just get your doubts about the refs and their influence to games) But regardless, i think the NFL will suffer greatly especially if there is a stoppage of play during these economic times. To think they stop playing over how much money they get paid, the NFL will take along time to recover from that PR. Next thing you know the NFL will be claiming the rights to chants…oh wait they already do that…”WHO DAT”…ridiculous. As far as Dansby, He’s replaceable, but I hope he stays and changes his attitude.

56. By alex u on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

can money just fdsajfdksfksnfddsklfmslamflksamfl!!!! Money shouldnt be on the minds of the players i dont care if its the off-season, think of OTA’s, training camp and winning a superbowl ring or even family i don’t care. I can understand if you want to play for a different team but money? man thats weak. Love Dansby as a player but, lost repect for him as a person

57. By Dan on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Well Dansby has been talking about “making a splash man, making a splash” and now he has his wish, some stupid team is going to pay 12-15 million per year, I don’t care who you are, thats just way too much money for him but again, some idiot team with pay him that much. Time to move on and pick up somebody in FA, Pierce may be a great option at a great price due to his injury status.

58. By alex u on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Just let your agent make a deal, accept it and move on.

59. By Cards Fan on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

I agree that this is Dansby’s one chance to get paid the big bucks. Which who knows after getting franchised for 2 years straight, that time may have already come and gone. There is no way you can hold that against him, that he wants to get paid. I’m just saying from a team’s prospective, I’m sure you would want to pay and get a player that is there to win and improve and not only be there because you were the highest bidder. There is no way to get a maximum effort from a player if his motives are already reached, thus he wouldn’t be worth it if that’s his only motive. Which in his case, I don’t believe that to be true, but it could come off like that.

60. By Jim on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

I think that Dansby is good, but not great. If you want great money, then you need to play great all of the time. At this point he is a luxury, not a necessity. There are plenty of good inside linebackers available. Fill you necessities before going after the luxuries. Take all of the big money that Dansby wants and get DD extended asap.

61. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Nathan –

I agree the NFL will suffer in a work stoppage.

62. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Cards Fan –

Let me make this clear to everyone: I do not think Karlos is motivated only by money, and I have never tried to imply that. When he was scrambling to grab that loose ball at the end of the Wild Card game, Karlos was not thinking contract, he was thinking playoff win. But this is the offseason, and this is the time for business as it pertains to football.

63. By NM Cards Fan on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

That was my point, they only dreamed of these salaries, and knowing what you are worth is what free agency is about, and the love of the game comment was meant that they produced regardless at that point due to the circumstances. Different culture today is my point, loyalty to the biggest check, the almighty dollar. Not a bad thing, just know your worth is my point, there is nothing wrong with that. Darren, do you have loyalty to the team if say Denver would pay you more to do what you do? Would you stay or go?

64. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

NM Cards –

If you are talking about me personally, that’s a different thing. My salary is such that my wife works, so her losing/changing a job factors in (which doesn’t with players, usually). My kids are old enough that I would be uprooting them. And I grew up here — which most guys didn’t — so that factors in. But if Denver were offering some huge amount the Cards weren’t, yes, I’d have to seriously consider it. Heck, even Deuce Lutui, who grew up in Mesa, acknowledged with his impending FA (in an uncapped year, he is restricted) that setting up his family financially would be more important than staying home.

As for knowing your worth, you are worth whatever someone is willing to pay you. If someone is willing to guarantee Dansby $30 million, even if it is just one team, then that’s what he is worth.

65. By Roy on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Dansby can walk. It obvious he doesn’t have Adrian Wilson and Larry Fitzgerald attitudes of being great players who put Arizona on the map and then stayed to play despite being able to go wherever they wanted if they refused to sign long term deals.

Here is my question Darren. Our secondary has been suspect and I heard that the Chargers are looking to deal the other Cromartie for a running back or draft choice. How bout you pitch it to management that we trade Tim Hightower (small cap hit) and a middle round pick for the services of Antonio Cromartie. We can pick up a 3rd back in draft or Free Agency. We all know that Beanie is gonna get the bulk of the carries and corners are hard to come by but backs are a dime a dozen.

66. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Roy –

If backs are a dime a dozen, why would the Chargers peddle a Pro Bowl cornerback for a mid-round pick and Hightower? I’m not sure that’s a starter for the Chargers.

And quickly, Fitz stayed put because the Cardinals a) still had him under contract (he was not a free agent when he re-signed) and b) they gave Fitz exactly what he wanted ($10 M a year and the opportunity to go back to the table after 2010). That’s a little different than simply choosing to stay put. If the Cards gave Dansby what he wants, he’ll stay put too.

67. By grabling on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

The cards defense stinks, we lost the superbowl because the defense (and karlos D) can’t stop the steelers in the last drive of the game…

68. By Roy on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Hightower is young, cheap, and a hardworker. Whay wouldn’t San Diego want him over 10 carries a game Sproles and on the decline plus super expensive Tomlinson. I read that they want to give up Cromartie because he isn’t fitting in their defensive scheme (freelancing) and they have 2 other first round picks at corner to pay (Caison and Jammer). They can’t pay everyone is I believe the bind they are in.

You probably know more about the Fitz situation than me but get real about 10 million being what he wanted. $10 million is security, thats it, but if he would not have signed he would have gotten franchised for a lot more than $10 million or left as a free agent for a lot more. Do the homework and the math, is Fitz even in the top 5 for highest paid receivers?

P.S. That still doesn’t address my comment about Adrian Wilson resigning. He bleeds Cardinal red. Dansby never has.

69. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

We don’t have to wager for money!

We could agree that the looser has to make one lap around the practice field with a (clean) jock over his head. Or would be required to hold up a sign that says, “Darnell – YOU’RE OVERPAID” while shouting the same thing. Something like that… :lol:
    ;)

p.s. Extend Dockett!

70. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Roy –

First of all, at the time it did put Fitz among the top paid receivers. This was spring of 2008, remember. He got $40 million for four years plus the chance at yet another huge contract in the prime of his career. Yes, it was exactly what he wanted. If he hits the open market, he might get a little more, but he’d have been locked into a deal for six or seven years.

I’ve never argued the Wilson thing. But Adrian is the exception, not the rule.

71. By Roy on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    Don’t get me wrong, I know Fitz wants to get paid and has gotten his wish. My point is that in my opinion I haven’t gotten the vibe that he wants out or that he wants TOP dollar. He knows that Arizona doesn’t pay Redskins money and he took “security” over top dollar to stay. Dansby doesn’t want “security” he wants as you argued “top dollar”.

I still think the Hightower for Cromartie and a draft pick would be practicle and improve both teams. Hightower was a 5th round pick with pretty good talent and a low salary. He runs hard, he blocks, he stays healthy, he can handle 15 or 20 carries. They have nobody who fits that mold and its always a crap shoot in the draft.

We need a corner more than we need depth at running back and i think a cheap Hightower and a draft pick could work. Having 2 lock-down corners would improve the entire defense as we could blitz more and pressure the QB. Give up a 3rd or swap a 2nd for an extra 3rd if we have to so we could seal the deal.

72. By John on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren, a quick comment about my trade idea for Jared Gaither for Boldin. The Ravens just signed Stalworth. They are desperate for wr’s. I wouldnt make the trade as a Raven official for Gaither either, but keep your eye on the Ravens going after Boldin with some kind decent offer.(2 and 4)

Another interesting development, Bulger is thinking he will be released. I don’t think he gets a starting job anywhere. With the Warner connection, should the Cards be interested in bringing him in to back up Leinart?
    (Remember those released players don’t count as free agents for top 8 teams)
    When Porter was released for that short time before being brought back, did anyone in the organization say anything? Will there be intrest? ( I know they cant say anything while a player is under contract, but sometimes people talk)

73. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Roy –

My guess is Dansby will get security as soon as he signs wherever.

As for Cromartie, any team willing to deal a young, Pro Bowl corner simply raises red flags, to be honest. Who does that? I don’t think the Cards can afford to get rid of draft picks or depth at running back either — even if you think Beanie can carry it 25 times a game.

74. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

John –

Other than being former teammates, there is no connection with Warner and Bulger. They aren’t making decisions based on that.

Porter was “released” for about five hours. His situation didn’t come up.

75. By cards62 on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Show me the money! Show me the money!
    Dansby played well for us and I would like to have him back at the right price, but sometimes that just does not happen. I agree that Dansby has been and is a better player than Calvin Pace whom the Jets way overpaid, but such is life when owners want to win. NFL is the greatest league because of the cap and revenue sharing so I hope they always are a part of the league. Baseball and Basketball just are not as competitive or fun for most fans. Yankees and Red Sox every year. I think that football players earn their money so much more than basketball players and baseball players especially pitchers so I can not blame Dansby or any player who honor their contract to try and earn more when the time comes as this is the American way. Owners can not seem to win on this one. Draft a player and teach him well and sign him to an extension that he and his agent signs freely and he moans and groans about being underpaid to the point that teams trade or release them. Do not give an extension and lose a lot of your top drafted players to other teams. Hard to buy players jerseys as they come and go so freely.
    I think Dansby has to tell teams he is ready for a change from the Cardinals so that others will be interested in him, but I think he would resign with us for the same money so it will be up to the Cardinals and if they let him go because of money I understand, and I also do hope we can sign Porter to a reasonable contract as his pass rushing skills are exactly what we need.
    Go cards!!!

76. By Joe2 on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I’m sure you and I agree more than disagree. That said, you wrote in your story that Los would go to “the team that ponies up the most money.” My point is that not everyone goes just for the money, and especially when they already get paid mega millions already. And you know its true — the fans love the players who take a little cut in pay to stay loyal to a their team — its only natural. Wouldnt you admit (honestly) that you would have respected Randy Johnson more if he had played his last season as a Diamondback instead of going to SF for a few bucks more after all the millions he’s already made? I think that was a lame move on his part, but I guess you would defend him because he went to the highest bidder?

Lastly, you wrote that “Every player just wants money.” Of course, the pay is important, everyone wants to be fairly compensated, everyone will test the market, sure, fine. But not everyone “just wants the money.” And I dont think we need to defend those who do. The ones who realize there are more important things than “just the money” are the ones who we should praise.

77. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Joe2 –

Agreed, I think. I do think, however, you can praise those who have different priorities without damning anyone who is different. Dansby hasn’t done anything out of line.

78. By Joe2 on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

True dat. Peace, brother man. Los has always carried himself very well.

79. By Lia on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

After everything that has been said.. Dansby is the Defense and the cards will be crazy to just let him walk, he does not get the credit that he deserves because he is not in the public eye like Ocho cinco and others but I can bet that as soon as the cards let him go the defense will go down!! Ok dockett is great but dansby is greater only because of the heart and mind he put in it!!

80. By Dr Cardinal on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

The Cardinals need Dansby, and Dockett to have a good defence.
    but without a couple good corner backs, like RC #29 it won’t reall matter.
    # 25 and #27 need a lot of help, they are to short to cover tall receivers.
    The cardinals lost to the Saints because of the corner backs.
    I just hope the defence coach will get the cards some help before the
    pre season starts.

81. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

So, now Bulger is the next Kurt Warner just because he also played for the Rams??? I don’t think so! Bulger had a couple of years there where he was very good QB ( he even saved my butt in fantasy football one year! ), but he was NEVER comparable to Warner even on his best day. Hey, if I thought he had anything left, I’d say he could be a good back-up QB for the Cardinals. But he’s done. The brutal beating he’s taken over tha past few seasons has taken its toll, mentally and phsyically.

82. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

According to NFL.com, Karlos is seeking a minimum $30 million in guaranteed money, so obviously he considers himself pretty elite. Do those demands increase his chances of being humbled during free agency this year? ;)

2/25 – NFL Total Access – VIDEO – “Dansby’s destination”

For reference, Terrell Suggs is the highest-paid linebacker in NFL history. ESPN reported in 2009 that Sugg’s contract, “contains $33.1 million in guaranteed money, second only to Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning.” — Source: “Suggs Highest-Paid LB in NFL History”, Mike Duffy, July 15, 2009. Referenced on February 25, 2010 from http://www.baltimoreravens.com.

Do those facts increase his chances of being humbled during free agency this year? ;)

I really wish you weren’t NFL property so we could wager something on this! :lol:

83. By darrenurban on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

Ottis –

Will he get $30M guaranteed? I wouldn’t be shocked. The biggest fact in his favor is that, aside from Peppers, there may not be a more attractive FA on the market.