Cards could still play tag

Posted by Darren Urban on February 17, 2010 – 1:51 pm

Just got a chance to talk to general manager Rod Graves and coach Ken Whisenhunt on a variety of topics (more to come later this afternoon), but a couple of quick points:

– Graves said the Cardinals have not made a final call on whether to use a franchise or transition tag on an unrestricted free agent. That is still being discussed (the deadline is Feb. 25).

Nevertheless, the Cards don’t seem to have a likely candidate for a franchise tag. They can’t tag LB Karlos Dansby (whom Graves said the team does want to retain if possible) because to do so for a third straight season would cost $16 million. They could transition tag Dansby — for a similarly big paycheck — for the right to match any free-agent offer. That seems much more possible, but it’s still a risk. As for the other UFAs, none  are tag candidates: QB Brian St. Pierre, FB Dan Kreider, WR Sean Morey, TE Anthony Becht, OL Jeremy Bridges, T Mike Gandy, DT Bryan Robinson, LB Monty Beisel, LB Chike Okeafor, CB Ralph Brown, S Matt Ware and K Neil Rackers.

– Whisenhunt said he doesn’t have a timetable yet to replace departed defensive backs coach Teryl Austin.

More on azcardinals.com in a bit.

Tags: , , , ,

28 Responses to “Cards could still play tag”

1. By CardsFan on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Hmmm, maybe franchise Rackers? I think it could be argued that he’s worth the top 5 salaries at his position…

2. By Jmondo on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

I was wondering about the Transition Tag on Dansby.. what better way to find out what he’s worth on the open market to Transistion Tag him and see what kind of deal he can come up with. If it’s ridiculous, you let him walk, if not, you sign him.

Also… what type of Tender do we put on Steve Breaston ?

3. By dubya05 on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

they can’t tag rakers, it says so in the article

4. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Dubya —

You can tag anyone. My point is that you wouldn’t tag any of those guys.

5. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Jmondo —

The only problem with the transition tag is, if he doesn’t sign an offer sheet, you are stuck with paying him huge money for one year again.

Good question on Breaston. I would guess they’d use the tender worth a first- and third-round draft pick.

6. By Eazy E on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Let’s just let karlos hit the free agent market because with the franchise tag, its 16 million, NO WAY!!! Even the transition tag is as big also. That money will be better spent on Julius Peppers, Dunta Robinson, Etc. I’m sorry Cardsfan, but im not franchising rackers. He is a good kicker but he chokes under pressure(i.e. Green Bay Playoff Game, Bears MNF, Etc.) And don’t give me that Fitz rushed him because he called the timeout earlier than expected, MAKE THE KICK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. He’s great at touchbacks, onside kicks, and pooch kicks, but for my kickers, they have to be able to make the clutch kicks PERIOD OVER ANY OF THAT OTHER STUFF.

7. By Secret on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

I have strong feeling about keeping Ware. My theory of why the Cardinal’s secondary sucked was because with Ware injured, Wilson couldn’t blitz to often. And when he did, a quick pass could be made. Tag Ware would be my advise.

8. By CardsFan on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Easy E and Darren – not necessarily saying they SHOULD franchise Rackers, but the point of the article seems to be that they’re still considering using the tags on someone. My thought was that the only player on that list I’d even consider would be Rackers, because despite his problems under pressure, I can’t name more than a handful of guys I’d rather have than him So he might be worth paying top 5 kicker money (which isn’t really that high) so that they don’t risk losing him on the open market. Does seem like a stretch, though.

9. By Johnny cards fan on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Let dansby get his money. I’m a huge fan but if it’s not working it’s not working. This teams gonna tank for 2 years before winning is again felt. Let him go and fix the secondary.

10. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

CardsFan —

I will be surprised if they use a tag, period.

11. By Feather on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Indeed no one is really franchise tag worthy. Do we get to use those like rollover minutes and use two tags next year?

12. By alex u on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

i heard antonio cromartie is on the trade block, think graves is interested? because i am haha, im sorry but Mcfadden played awful this year, maybe get dunta robinson, he had a slow start which i expected but, ended on a high note. as for danby, let him hit the market and use a 2nd round pick on a LB, and draft a damn OT (LT) in the 1st round. only thing i want the offense to upgrade is LT and maybe TE. focus on defense.

13. By nor cal cards fan on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

CardsFan- LMAOOOOOOOO!!. At first i thought u were joking but now that i know ur serious it’s even funnier. The guy would have been known as the biggest choke artist in the history of sports in the state of Arizona if the defense hadn’t bailed him out.

14. By chris from the north on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Has everybody forgotten about joey porter? Let dansby go, bring porter in. Let’s not forget about docket either. I’m more concerned about extending him than anybody else on defense. Don’t count this cards team out just because kurt’s gone and dansby’s on his way out. We aren’t rebuilding anymore. We are merely making moves to be better than we were.

15. By Ron on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

I’m sorry, Rackers has not been a top 5 kicker. Tender him an offer, he’ll take it. That kid the cards brought in would have hit those kicks in GB and not even taken us to OT. Keep him, but no way near the top 5 K salary. He has been steadily declining and he had injury questions this year.

16. By Jmondo on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I understand that Darren, however, in an uncapped year.. what difference does paying Dansby $15 Million actually make ? There are no cap implications, and the guy is going to essentially get a huge guaranteed contract anyway, and you and I both know, that his chances of NOT getting an offer are almost as much as me being the Cardinals #4 WR this season.

You then have a player who is once again in a contract year, so you will more than likely get getting his best once again.

Like I stated in a earlier question to you… this is the year that teams can cheat the system because of the lack of cap implications.

17. By darrenurban on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Jmondo —

First of all, no one spends other people’s money like me, but cap or no cap, $15 million is still $15 million. The Cards aren’t crying poor, but the economy has affected the team just like everyone else and to hand out such a huge check for one year is crazy. In Dansby’s case, it’s simply a waste of money to give him $8.7 M in 2008, $9.7 M in 2009, and about $15 M in 2010 without a long-term deal and the need to once again deal with his free agency again in 2011. If $15 M was the signing bonus for a new 4-year deal, that’s one thing.

What I don’t think a lot of fans understand is I don’t think teams are going to go crazy with no cap. That was the original assumption back when it was put in place. Given the economy and the potential of a work stoppage, I think teams are going to actually be more conservative than usual.

18. By Jmondo on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the reply Darren, and I agree with you. I don’t feel that teams are going to go “crazy” with money this year especially in light of we have no idea if a cap is placed back after an agreement is made, or a work stoppage coming up as well.

I only sound concerned because I’m afraid a team like Seattle, with it’s infinite Monitary resouces could somehow “cheat” the system and get themselves out of the cap disaster that Tim Ruskell put them in. They could end up with a ton of high priced talent that won’t cost them anything after the cap comes back.

19. By Jmondo on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Also… I look at it this way…. if we do indeed Tag Carlos again… it would mean we would have paid Karlos 34.4 Million dollars guaranteed for the past 3 years… so in essence, he GOT his contract that he wanted when Calvin Pace got his Jets deal (and it is considerably better)

Clearly he won’t look at it that way… but in reality thats what you got… and, you have him for another year. He’ll be 29 next year. We will most assuredly draft LB help this season, so if he needs to test FA next season, he might not need to be a necessity… especially in light of the fact that Will Davis and Cody Brown will have seen another year in Arizona.

20. By darrenurban on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Jmondo —

You are right about Karlos, but the problem is, in that situation, you have paid him more than $10 M a season for production that quite frankly isn’t worth that much. And you still don’t have him under contract for 2011. You’re right, it is possible, and I am sure Karlos isn’t going to put up a stink, but it’s probably not smart business.

Seattle could “cheat” the system. Any deep pocketed owner can. But I am willing to bet almost none do.

21. By Roy on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I say tag nobody. Even if we transition Karlos we run the risk of him pulling a Steve Hutchinson and have some sort of buyout after a year or two anyway. People cheat the transition tag. Let Karlos see what he can get and compare it to our offer. If we don’t stack up then he has every right to bolt. If we are competitive then I would hope he stays.

Darren, in 3 years of this game have you ever heard him say “I will stay if the club is competitive?”

22. By darrenurban on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Roy —

It’s never been that specific. He told KTAR yesterday he isn’t closing the door on the Cards and he says winning is more important than money. But as I have noted, I don’t believe that to be the case. I think all things being equal I can see him looking for a winner, but if the Browns blow his doors off with by far the best offer, I don’t see him walking away from that.

23. By johnnybluenose on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

not likely that herman edwards would want to be our defensive backfield coach but he would be a good one. how about rodney harrison? any thoughts?

24. By darrenurban on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Johnny —

I am guessing Whiz has someone in mind who I probably don’t know much about — like Teryl Austin three years ago.

25. By Jesse Robles on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I say we let Karlos walk, Karlos is a good defensive player don’t get me wrong, but he is not worth the money we are paying him. I like Karlos, if it wasn’t for him we wouldn’t have won that Packers Playoff game, he just isn’t worth all that money. DRAFT and FREE AGENCY, he can be replaced.

26. By johnnybluenose on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

jesse. i didn’t realize that dansby won the play-off game against the packers. i thought adams made the play. the ball just happened to land in dansby’s lap and i think anybody could have walked it into the endzone from five yards out. let dansby go and get some young guys who will still be productive two years from now, unlike dansby.

27. By Mr. Know It All on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

HEY DARREN NOTHING AGAINST THE UFA’S BUT DO YOU THINK THIS IS A PRIME TIME FOR THE YOUTH MOVEMENT?

I THINK WE HAVE SOME SOLID YOUNG TALENT THAT CAN STEP UP!!!! IT’S VERY LIKELY THAT WE WILL BRING SOME OF THEM BACK BUT WE NEED MORE PRODUCTION AT SOME POSITIONS.

28. By darrenurban on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Know —

In this league, you’d better always be looking to develop younger guys to be ready every year. Otherwise you have no chance. But the idea to blow out all the vets if their contracts are up? No. I think you need a blend.