• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Talks with Rolle ongoing

Posted by Darren Urban on February 17, 2010 – 4:39 pm

As expected, the Cardinals are trying to negotiate a contract extension with safety Antrel Rolle — a must, given that Rolle is due a $4 million bonus next month and an $8+ million salary. It’ll be interesting what Rolle wants out of the deal. If the Cards believe there is a good chance of getting something done, there really isn’t any urgency to reach a new agreement before needing to pay out the bonus because Rolle will get that money (and then some) anyway. But there’s an element of high-stakes poker to this too. Rolle doesn’t have to do anything and force the Cards’ hand, although in this market, all players need to be wary of what they can get.

Rolle is easily the most pressing issue for the Cards right now, given that Karlos Dansby’s situation can’t be resolved before free agency begins and Dansby is able to set his price.

Tags: , ,

28 Responses to “Talks with Rolle ongoing”

1. By Feather on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

I like Rolle, when we took him 8th overall I thought that he would solidify our cornerback situation like starks was suppose to. But, since then he has made a smooth transition to the safety position. I think our safety position with Rolle is one of the tops in the league. Any News with BOLDIN?? Heard this is from unreilable sources though (although that same source predicted Warner coming to the desert years ago) that he could be delt to the RAVENS??? Who would we get and how many draft picks??? Just wondering. keep up the good work Darren and we see you in Flagstaff in a few months.

2. By k. on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

i hope the cards can get this deal done. i’d love to see antrel a career card and what a starting safety tandem of wilson and rolle we’d have for years to come.

3. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Feather –

As I wrote in today’s story, a trade is still an option. Where (or even if) is still very much unknown.

4. By Eric on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

They need to get this done. Rolle can be a bit of a liability sometimes in the secondary, but he’s also a big-time playmaker that our defense sorely needs. Also, we don’t have anyone to replace him. Rashad Johnson is not close to be ready to start.

5. By ALarson on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Does the Ravens signing Stallworth mean that they won”t be looking at Boldin in a trade now? I would love to see the Boldin for Heap and a 3rd trade that was proposed last offseason…. your thoughts Darren?

Also any ideas on who the new Def. Backs Coach could be?

6. By darrenurban on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

ALarson –

No clue on the DB coach. We’ll know soon enough.

As for the Ravens, they still need a receiver, I would think. But the Cards have no interest in Heap.

7. By Big Red on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Keep Boldin, who else has two top receivers like we do. That could be #1 in any team. Pay #81 he deserves it. He’ll come back and beat us and if that happens we deserve it.

8. By Dan on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Rolle isn’t even a safety, we need to upgrade, let him go too.

9. By Tbru on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Why do team issue these idiotic back loaded deals that always end up having to be reworked later on?

10. By darrenurban on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Tbru –

It’s done on purpose. It’s the main way teams can get high draft picks signed … the early parts of a deal usually has lower salaries, so if the player outperforms his contract, it forces the renegotiation. It works the other way too — if the player flops, teams have backloaded the deal. It’s why, when a guy signs, you can never believe the “five years worth $60 million” because a good chunk of that is “funny money.” If you are a top 10 pick, that’s the kind of deal you get. Leinart has the same deal for his final year of his rookie deal, which is the 2011 season.

11. By Steve on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Everyone who is voting to let Rolle, Dansby and Rackers go because they missed some plays needs to take a look at this team.

The Cards have lost the the SB winner the last two years. A Cards team has NEVER been able to say that!

Let Rackers go, fine but who are we going to get? Teams were getting killed by bad kickers all year. Rackers has a few misses but some AMAZING plays as well.

Let Rolle go, fine but who are we going to get? Have you forgotten what this guy looks like with the ball in his hand? FSs get beat, that is part of the NFL. The Commish keeps making it harder and harder for DBs to go 1v1. Marshall had 20 catches in a game this year!

Let Danby go, okay, for $16m I would let him go too.

This isn’t fantasy football with an unlimited supply of talent and blockbuster deals happening everyday.

Rackers is a top 10 kicker. Rolle is a Top 5 FS in the NFC if not the NFL.

This team has become a solid team on the verge of greatness by keeping their players and increasing the depth/ quality at every position. If we start letting folks go for a bad game, we will be back to the same o’ cards with no talent behind the over priced/ under performing starter.

How many big name free agent signings or trades have worked out well when grabbing big name players? Ask the Bears about Cuttler or Skins about Hayensworth.

You sell high and buy low. Moss to NE for nothing, Seymore to Oakland for way too much. Ever wonder why the Pats are so good for so long!

12. By Blair on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Let Rolle go? If i didnt know any better i would think half the people on here dont even watch football. Our D was ok at best most games and great in a handful.Now all these people say ”let Dansby go. Let Rolle go. Get rid of Bmac. And just replace them”. If you honestly think you can loose a pro bowl safty, the captian of your D, and a corner that dispite what every one says did muuuch better than Brown or Adams could ever dream of doing without any negative results is insane. Chemistry doesnt develope over night.

13. By Roy on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Totally agree with Steve. I would love to keep all these guys but only Larry is worth $16 million. Agree with Blair except for the Bmac comment. Granted we can’t lose him because we don’t have an upgrade option, but the guy played like crap ecspecially towards the end of the year. I missed the G.B. playoff game because I was driving and I watched the highlights of the Packers scores and most of them were on Bmac. I won’t even mention N.O. He is decent but I think we need an upgrade.

14. By Andrew on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

So I love Rackers and all but… “AMAZING plays”??? Are we talking about the tackles he made? B/c despite his great percentages during regular season, look at what he has done in the clutch. That’s not just the Green Bay game either. I don’t think there is anyone else out there better but let’s not get over excited. You have to be able to hit the big kick when it matters and I’m just hoping he will be ready next time the situation presents itself…

Definitely going to be a crazy off season here. Hopefully it all works out! In Coach Whiz I trust. He and Graves haven’t done us wrong yet!! I’m excited!

gut feeling… will Rolle and Boldin be Cardinals next year?

15. By darrenurban on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Andrew –

Gut feeling, based on gut feeling and no breaking knowledge? Maybe (I think Rolle will be a free agent and have a choice to leave) and no.

And I could be totally wrong.

16. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I’d like to see Rolle stay with the team. There have already been enough significant losses and there may be more to come that are just inevitable ( Dansby and I hate to say it, but Boldin as well whether it’s this year or next ). The Cardinals need to identify their core and keep it intact. For me, Rolle is definitely a core member of the defense. He is a very good safety, a consistent playmaker, and he is entering his prime. AND I don’t think it will take a king’s ransom to keep him here. Let someone else overpay for Dansby and commit to deals to keep Rolle here now and Dockett in the near future.

17. By Big Red on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Steve and also why is everybody so afraid to even say anything negative about BOLDIN’S contract..Make it easy on yourself, just keep him as a CARDINAL. Pay the man.

18. By cards62 on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Scott. Rolle was a top safety as voted by his peers, and he can do incredible stuff with the ball in his hands. I would love to see us use him some on kickoff returns and on offense for a few plays each game.
    Dansby I want back if the money is okay, but if Calvin Pace money or better we need to let him go and wish him well. I hope we can get Joey Porter at a good price to replace him and have Joey teach our young guys. Boldin I love, but he covets his neighbor too much. He thinks he is Fitz and he wants Fitz money, but he is not FItz so I say trade our warrior and wish him well.
    There is talk that the Rams are going to let Marc Bulger go. What do you guys think about us signing him as our backup? It worked out pretty well the last time we picked up a Rams QB, and remember the unfavorable things a lot of fans in St. Louis and New York said about him. Me personally I hope we do sign Bulger if available. Go Cards!

19. By Big Red on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

Of course his not fitz, he’s better. When do you ever see him run out of bounce, after a catch, his old school and to me that takes guts. You don’t see that in the NFL anymore.

20. By Andrew on Feb 20, 2010 | Reply

No Bulger… that’s all… just no…

21. By Tbru on Feb 20, 2010 | Reply

Forget Tiger Woods, Charles Barkley, Kurt Warner or anyone else who has had the tag attached to them.

Antrel is a good Rolle model

22. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Bulger??? Hmmm…I kinda forgot about him. He was a very good QB but I think the beating that he has taken in St Louis these past few seasons has taken its toll. I don’t know if he’s got anything left. I still think Tyler Thigpen or Shaun Hill would be good back-ups for Leinart right now. And if Leinart turns out to be a bust, Matt Schaub is the guy I want! I had actually wanted the Cardinals to trade for him years ago when he was stuck behind Michael Vick in Atlanta. OK, that never happened, and I certainly don’t mind how things turned out with Kurt Warner! But now that we KNOW this guy can light it up with lots of weapons at his disposal…just imagine what he could do in Arizona. Darren, just for fun, do you happen to know what Schaub’s contract situation is and when he might become available as a FA?

23. By darrenurban on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Scott –

Schaub is under contract through 2012.

24. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

Thanks for the reply. I really do want to see Leinart succeed and do well for the Cardinals, but…if it doesn’t work out, the timing of Schaub’s contract might just work pretty well. Leinart is here for 2010, there might not even be football at all in 2011 ( ugh ), then it’s 2012 and if we know we need a QB…maybe getting Schaub is a possibility?

25. By darrenurban on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Scott –

The only way Schaub becomes available is if he fails in Houston. And if he does, do the Cards really want him? When you find a franchise QB (and right now, Schaub seems pretty good), you don’t let him go.

26. By true blue on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

man I can tell you now in Big D we are licking our chops waiting on yall to release Rolles, dont know is JJ will make a play for him but we do believe he will fit our piece real well. Its hard to find a good FS and Rolle definitely fits that mold. One mans junk is another ones treasure!!! Yall can have Ken Hamlin….. lol

27. By richard romero on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

what is the latest on dockett? i heard the cards were open to offering him an extension, any words

28. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Richard –

There is nothing new on that front.