Change offense for Leinart? Not necessarily

Posted by Darren Urban on February 18, 2010 – 9:28 am

During our conversation Wednesday, coach Ken Whisenhunt mentioned the improvements in the Cards’ running game and the ability for the Cardinals to have a more balanced offense if the situation calls for such. But when asked whether the transition from Kurt Warner to Matt Leinart was going to force an overhaul of the offense, Whisenhunt insisted it wouldn’t.

“Matt has been here for three years with us, he’s been in this offense, he understands the offense,” Whisenhunt said. “We’re obviously going to do some things with Matt that fit his skill set, things we didn’t do with Kurt — moving in the pocket, getting him out in open space, things Matt does well — but we have great confidence that Matt can execute the offense we have been running the last couple of years. He has shown progress in that.

“You look at a guy who has worked as hard as he has to improve at that position. He went through a competition with Kurt in the ’08 preseason and it was very close, and then you see Kurt play the way he did, you would naturally think Matt had to do something good to keep the competition that close.”

That doesn’t mean the Cards won’t run it a little more often, but, Whisenhunt emphasized, “I feel we are still able to line up and throw the football. Is the production going to drop? Well, Matt threw for 300 yards in the second half with four wide receivers against Green Bay (in the preseason) and he did a nice job in the New Orleans game right before the half moving us down the field.”

Obviously, the Cardinals have months to tinker with exactly how Leinart-as-starter and their offense fit together. And, as I have mentioned before, I think Leinart will be in a better spot to succeed without Warner looming in the background.

“We have seen things on the practice field from Matt every day, things everyone doesn’t see, that leads us to believe he is going to be a good quarterback,” Whisenhunt added.

Tags: , ,

50 Responses to “Change offense for Leinart? Not necessarily”

1. By Bobf on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I choose to believe. Innocent until proven guilty – right?

2. By Barbara wurzbach on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I trust the coach and that’s the first time in 15 years I can say that. We do need a back up for leinert in my opinion!

3. By Barry on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

It would be nice to get Tyler Palko back…I think he would be a great backup to Matt…I know he’s in Pittsburgh but, I think that the Steelers would let him go. The got Rothlisberger and Nixon and Batch.

No need for the draft.

4. By CardsRep928 on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Leinart will be fine now that we have a legit running attack in wear(hightower) and tear (wells)…although I think its time to hand the torch to beanie and use hightower as a 3rd/goal line back.

5. By Billy Thomas on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Well if nothing else, it seems to me that Beanie and Hightower need to switch roles. Beanie should really be the one wearing down the defenses so Hightower can tear them up. However, I agree with CardsRep that Hightower should be the 3rd down back at least due to his ability to catch and read blitzes. I also think Beanie would be the better goal-line back, and this is only because Beanie shows a lot of power as well as speed, which is really why I think he should be the starter. I think with the threat of Beanie in the backfield and our receiving corps, Leinart should have plenty of time, as well as ability, to make good throws and decisions, and ultimately lead us to wins. The offense might need to be more balanced than it is right now to fully achieve that though.

6. By Dave on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

It’s really great to read this. Some people want to hang onto the belief that Whisenhunt really doesn’t care for Leinart that much….OR…that he would rather have a QB that he hand picks to run his offense…..OR…that he never liked Leinart from the beginning because Whisenhunt was not involved in drafting him.

I’m not getting that at all from Whisenhunt.

The fact is, Warner was warned that in order to be the starting QB for the Cards he was going to have to exhibit better ball control, stop fumbling all the time, dropping the ball, and making bad decisions instead of protecting the football. To Warner’s credit he worked hard on those issues and was able to overcome some problems and therefore maintain a foothold as the starter on this team. IMO it was true when Whisenhunt said that the competition between Warner and Leinart was VERY close and a tough decision to make. Leinart has potential that has not been tapped yet. Whisenhunt has seen the flashes though and will point them out, such as that 300 yard half in preseason. There are a lot of others.

With a running game, what this team needs more than a different QB (other than Leinart) is a lot more consistent defense. They are great some days…then others they just are not.

7. By Cardsforlife on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Leinart for 4-12 season!

8. By Secret on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Leinart will be fine. I think the cards will establish the run first and let leinart do play action and/or boot plays to tear it up against any offense

9. By Jmondo on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Leinart still needs a season so that we can evaluate him as “The Man” or not. He should get that opportunity in 2010. We do need a veteran backup (all teams do) but not to necessarily push Matt, but to be there in case the guy gets hurt.

What annoys me are the armchair coaches (fans) of this league that look at a handful of throws and feel that is enough to judge a QB. You can be rest assured that if Matt had a 115 QB rating on his mop up duty stints in 2009, that a few would have been calling for him to Start over Warner in some games. Fans do what fans do.. and that is be fans.

He needs a year so we can see what we’ve got.

10. By 949cardsfan on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

One thing can be said for certain, Leinart will not be overwhelmed by the situation. We are talking about a guy who has played in many games with the brightest spotlight shining,ie. Rose Bowls, NFL playoff games/Superbowl. Leinarts played at the top programs at every level, from mater dei (yearly top ten HS program), to USC. Leinarts won Championships at both of those levels, he will do the same for Arizona. The more the critics paint him as a soft, lazy So Cal kid the better. He will use this criticism as feul and come out and prove everyone wrong. Trust me, it won’t be long before we are all talking about how Leinart took us to the next level, just like we did about kurt. Altough this time the level will be that of a dynasty.

11. By Joe-B on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I thought so too, obviously Leinart can’t throw the ball as well as Warner, but that doesn’t mean they will become a running team like the Jets. There will be more balance, but the passing game will probably be like it was last season.

12. By Andrew on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Why do so many “Cardinal fans” hate Matt Leinart so much??? If you are actually a Cardinals fan then you should want him to succeed and support him. Cardsforlife?? Really? 4-12?? You can’t be taken seriously when you go to such negative extremes. You can’t even actually believe that. Leinart is the starting QB and if we actually do go 4-12 next year then feel free to hate all you want. But until then, if you like the Cardinals, support your quarterback.

Back to why people bash him so much, I don’t get it?? Is it because there were pictures of him with girls at his house drinking in the hot tub and all that?? What did you think he did during the offseason? At least he isn’t out drunk driving and all that, it was at his own house! And it should be noted that he won the Walter Payton award for service in the community for the Cardinals. Which as mentioned in the article on it, is pretty impressive considering Kurt Warner is on the team and how much he does. He isn’t a bad guy and he does work hard. He can’t be expected to succeed when they throw him out there and hand it off twice and then throw on 3rd and long.

Let’s see what happens when he actually gets a chance to run the offense and the mindset is to win and not just waste time. I don’t know if he is going to succeed but I sure do hope so!!!!!

13. By Feather on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Beanie/Hightower/Larod Thats a productive running corp. Ftiz/Boldin/Breaston/Doucet thats a lethal recieving corp.
    Matt to either hand the ball off or even just dinks and dumps to the soft coverage flats, that is all we need.
    Maybe if we get a recieving threat TE like Bryd to complement Patrick our offense will be more effective than last year.
    WE NEED A DEFENSE THAT SHUTS DOWN PASSING AND LIMITS RUNS. FRANK GORE OWNED US LAST YEAR. CRABTREE OWNED US IN THAT LAST GAME. NFC WEST THREE PEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. By MikFig on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I watched Leinart throughout his college career at USC and he made a believer of me then. Iwas very excited when the Cardinals drafted him as I am a Cardinal fan. He will succeed if he is given the starting QB confidence by the team (also must be earned) as Mark Sanchez was for the Jets.

15. By cards fan on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Leinart will be fine

16. By Joe-B on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Andrew:

It seems like a lot of people are only fans of Warner, or only fans of Leinart. I’m with you, I don’t understand why some people can’t root for both Quarterbacks.

17. By CARDS FOR REAL!!! on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

GO LEINART!!!! AS SOME HAVE SAID, IF YOUR A REAL CARDS FAN GET BEHIND LEINART AND BE A TRUE CARDS FAN!!!!! BIG RED WILL RISE WITH LEINART AT THE HELM!!!!!!

18. By Keith on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I think Matt is going to surprise a lot of critics.

19. By Jesse Robles on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I can’t wait for Leinart to shut people up, He played good in Tennessee, and the Titans were on fire at the time. If you look at Aaron Rodgers, how he sat back and learned the NFL behind Brett Favre first, instead of getting thrown into the sharks like Stafford, it helps. For Leinart to get draftedby the Cardinals and get thrown into the sharks like Stafford, and then get out played by a Kurt Warner and have to sit back and learn from a Hall of Famer like Aaron Rodgers did, is only going to make him an even better quarterback then before.

20. By Johnny cards fan on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Where I’d like to see Matt evolve is making the critical plays at critical moments. 4th quarter down by 7 and 2:00 left in the game. Can he be clutch? Jake plummer was and a majority of cards fans til this day still love him.

21. By ROBERT D. PICKARD /FEB.18 on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

THE CARDS NEED DEFENSEMAINLY CORNERS/ SS/ THIRE FIRST STRING IS GOOD AFTER THAT its ALL OVER. Ive BEEN A CARD FAN SINCE THEY WERE IN CHICAGO, IN ST LO THEY COULD NEVER PUT IT TOGETHER. THE GREAT BIDWELLS BROTHERS WERE TOO DAMMED TIGHT TO PAY TO PUT A REAL TEAM in PLACE. THATS STORMY AND CHARLES. MY HEART HAS BEEN BROKEN MANY, MANY TIMES. AT LEAST I SAW THEM PLAY IN ONE SUPER BOWL BEFORE I DIE. I AM 80 YOA IN MAY.

22. By logan cooper on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I’m with you Jesse.
    I have a feeling the same people dogging on Leinart are the same people calling for Warner to be benched when he has had bad games. I have said this before the man is a national championship and Heisman trophy winner. He is a winner. Judging him on this years performances( when he played mop up duty) is completely unfair and not a true view of him.

It is like asking a point guard to come in half way through a season without playing a minute and expecting him to be great and run the offense great.

Some of you guys need to do some research on leinart and see his performances when he was able to game plan as the “STARTING QB”.
    Also in the Tennessee game he didn’t even get first team snaps all week and he managed the game great.

Give him a chance this year before we label him as a loser.

23. By AZ SPORT FAN on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Lienart has a legitimate chance to make a name for himself. He has progressed as a QB and teamate. He has watched and practiced with Warner. I could see that Warner had more of a one on one mentality with Leinart since preseason. As coach Whis said…the 300yd game against greenbay in the preseason was phenominal!! Warner played the 1st qtr and i could see him getting frustrated cuz nothin was goin his way. Coach Whis put in Lienart and allowed him to run the full Warner offensive package. 4 receivers and Matt impressed me. With Matt at the helm…we almost won that game! I realize that it was preseason and greenbay had its 2nd/3rd stringers out there…but they are all pros. So it was good in my book. Go Cardinals!!!!!

24. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

The biggest reason why the offense should change ( a little, not a lot ) isn’t Matt Leinart – it’s Beanie Wells. And I can honestly say that even if Warner were back next year as the QB, I would still want to see more of Beanie. His big play potential is tremendous and he will force defenses to respect the run more than any RB that has played here in recent memory. Because of that, the passing game can remain lethal even though Leinart is no Kurt Warner. Wells is a big part of the reason that I am confident that Leinart will be fine and the Cardinals will be fine as a result. I wouldn’t feel that way if there were no running game to count on and Leinart was going to have to carry the team on his shoulders. How cool will it be to see the Cardinals with a REAL horse at running back IN ADDITION TO what will still be one of the best passing offenses in the NFL???

25. By dj on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I think that Leinart will surprise critics as well.. He still has room to grow, but he will be fine..

26. By LH on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

When judging Matt you must remove the “competition” with Kurt. In other words, you can have questions about Matt’s ability as an NFL QB, and like Kurt (wear his jersey, etc.), and have those two opinions exist but not having anything to do with each other. I can’t understand why people do not seem to have an understanding of this!

Coach Whiz said at the end of the 2008 season that Matt was the starter going into training camp, but Kurt would also get a fair shot. I also believe that Coach Whiz put it that way so that Kurt would have to address the “fumbling” problem. Also, I believe it was a tough decision only because the FO had “invested” so much in Matt, and taking the role of naming him as starting QB would have been a much easier thing to do.

In the end, Coach Whiz chose to “go with his gut” and name Kurt as the starting QB. Kurt went out and played at such a high level that many people were surprised he had it in him. I never have understood why people thought as such. I also noted when Kurt spoke over the conference call, that Coach Whiz had meant that he was the starter, no question about it, and that would not change during the season. Within a couple of days, the team chose Kurt as their Captain.

It’s obvious to me that what goes on in the locker room is very different than the persona that Coach Whiz presents to the media. Very even-keeled.

Will the team accept Matt’s leadership? Of course they will. Is that going to make a difference when game time comes? Probably not, because the main reason Kurt retired is he felt like every time he stepped on the field, he was risking getting carried out on a stretcher, because the problem with the Cards’ Offense is clearly their O-Line. Kurt waited to see if the FO, above Coach Whiz, would make some moves and get some OTs. That didn’t happen, and he retired.

Now, we have a situation where Matt does not have a quick release like Kurt did, and it’s a toss-up whether he will make it through the season uninjured b/c the O-line is so wretched at the Tackle position. Levi Brown cannot pass block. He will no doubt, though, make a good Guard on another team.

27. By alex u on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

Bring in Pennington for competition, and depth. Don’t get me wrong, i want Leinart to start when semptember roles around but, bringing in a vet like Chad will only make Leinart work harder, make him fight for the starting job. I think Leinart will lead the offense just fine though, just as good as Warner. Leinart can do different things like PA roll out, and rolling out in general. But just in case, Pennington would be a nice add.

28. By AZSoundDude on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

I will admit I am totally behind Matt!! I will be first to push him off the ledge and watch all the LEMMING go with him…Trade him and move on!

29. By nor cal cards fan on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

Wow, a Stormy and Charles Bidwill reference.

30. By 3:10 to YuMa on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

I think Matt can deliver we would have won against N.O. Saints if he stayed in the game, got alot of 1st downs. Yes we will miss Kurt but, we gotta TCB out on the field. Remember every team who plays us is always cautious cuz they know we BRING THE HEAT.
    AZ STATE ALL THE WAY. STR8 OUTTA YUMA.

31. By Jerry on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

I believe! In the 4 and 12 season with Leinart as a starter. All I see everyone saying is “give him a season.” I am very sure I am correct in the fact that HE HAS PLAYED BEFORE! He has not been sitting on that bench since he got here. He has played and has earned no respect! Respect is earned not given. Warner went through the same situation, only Kurt was actually good at his position. Matt has no medium to long range game, defenses will stack the box and stop those short to medium range passes and then makes it a lot harder to run. Matt and the play action? Shouldn’t you be able to throw it a decent length for PA to be affective? College? Long gone. Preseason vs GB? IT’S PRESEASON! Tennessee? Not even a playoff team. Week 17 vs GB starters! Leinart = terrible! Saints playoff game? Saints playing above to prevent a touchdown before the half and still nothing. Matt Leinart has no credentials. A season consists of 16 regular season games and not a flicker of hope here or a flicker of hope there. My call looking at what we have at this very moment, 1 win against Seattle, 1 win against St Louis, a win against Oakland, and a win against Tampa Bay.

32. By Punisher3190 on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

…one thing none of you are looking at is our schedule this coming season…4-12? Our schedule is looking good..good for Matt to get his start.

33. By Chickenhawk2 on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

I think only time will tell. Myself being a Pac-10 fan hated Matt when he played for USC. Only cause I am a U of A fan. After watching his playing against the Packers and the Saints, I feel that if he plays the momentum in his way, he will help AZ stopm a mudhole in the leagues A**! Go Big RED!!!!

34. By JB on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

10-6 I think the Cards offense underperfomed a bit this year. I think subtle changes and an improved Beanie Wells is all this offense needed. Matt will be just fine. We will win the division, and he will be recognized as a budding star. Kurt Warner was great, it was right to start him, but Matt is ready and definitely has what it takes to succeed. I can’t wait for the season to start. We will be a top 5 offense and will be tough to stop with or without Boldin. I just hope we hold on to as many defensive FA’s as we can. Keep Dansby, work with Dockets contract, keep Rolle. With DRC healthy, Toler improving and Wilson bringing what he always does, we can win games. We will win the division and be feared come playoff time. Lets go Cardinals!!!!!!

35. By Brian on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

How can a “CARDS” fan be so negative against 1 player. 4-12??In order to reach this rediculous prediction, you are voting against the CARDS as a TEAM. 1 Man does not make a losing season. Obviously never played a TEAM SPORT. A CARDS fan shoould be excited that we have a QB that knows what it feels like to be a winner. He has faced humility losing a starting job to Warner. Oh yeah, these must be the same fans calling out the negatives for bringing in Warner ” Washed up QB” who now has garanteed a spot in the hall of fame. If beining a fan means truly being the 12th man, than how can a True fan speak negative about any player on the roster? Everyone has ups and downs. It’s how you pick yourself up that counts. I am proud to call myself a cards fan. I know what it feels like to be part of a losing team sport. I have tasted what it is like being on a winning Team as well. This, unfortunatly is how team sports go. I believe that once you taste being a winner, you do all you can to play at that level. I believe the CARDS will continue to play at that level. Look out NFL, The CARDS TRAIN STOPS FOR KNOW ONE!!!

36. By Joe-B on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

So Jerry… Leinart won 5 games during his Rookie year when the team wasn’t good, yet he will only win 4 games on a team that is better than it was back then.

Also, Leinart can throw deep. Look at this video: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d801d21fb/Matt-Leinart-highlights-vs-Chargers

Yeah, its Pre Season, but so what? He still made the throws.

37. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

I agree, Brian. These idiots who have the Cardinals falling all the way to 4-12 next year need to give it a rest. Go find another team if it’s that hopeless and clear the way for more intelligent conversation here.

38. By TucsonTim on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

LH – I thought I was the only cynic on this board. Points all well taken.

To all of you Warner loving Leinart haters, why can’t you see that an average NFL QB should look like a superstar with receivers like Q, Fitz, and Breaston…in a dome…on a great surface…in warm weather…against the Rams, Seahawks, 49′s (opps we lost those 2 didn’t we)….

The Cards problems aren’t going to be at QB. The Cards problems start with the defensive coordinator and build from there. Wouldn’t a real defensive coordinator already have a DB coach? But then a real DC would have had Toler playing for McFadden after the TN debacle and fired the DB coach for not being able to teach a 5 million dollar CB to turn around and look for the ball.

39. By alum on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

I’m a UW alum and an ASU alum. Even though Lienart played for those (ugh) Trojans, he is now and has been a Cardinal and therefore I support him. Warner was/is special, but it took the whole team to make him that way (I hope he bought some T-bone steaks for the O-line). If the same can happen with Lienart, which I trust it can, and the defense, special teams, and the Cardinals organization are on top of it again, we’ll be back in the playoffs. Go CARDS !

40. By chris on Feb 20, 2010 | Reply

fine ill be the new qb come on I DESTROY IN MADDEN ILL THROW IT CMON AHHHHHHHH

41. By Mr. Know It All on Feb 20, 2010 | Reply

DARREN THE PASSING GAME WILL NOT BE THE SAME SO THE
    O-LINE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO RUN BLOCK MUCH BETTER. I SUGGEST THAT RUSS GRIM (IF HE’S STILL WITH THE CARDS) USE BRANDON KEITH AND HERM JOHNSON TO REPLACE MIKE GANDY AND REGGIE WELLS BECAUSE WE NEED MORE PHYSICAL PLAY FROM THE O-LINE. I THINK LYLE, DEUCE AND LEVI HAVE THAT NASTY GO GET’EM STYLE THAT WILL BE NEEDED FOR THE RUN GAME. BRANDON HAS BEEN IN THE SYSTEM A COUPLE YEARS WORKING AT TACKLE AND THOUGH HERM IS STILL LEARNING PUT HIM AT GUARD AND WATCH THE CARDS RUN WILD.

DARREN DO YOU THINK THIS STARTING LINE UP OF
    LT BRANDON KEITH, LG HERM JOHNSON, C LYLE SENDLEIN
    RG DEUCE LUTUI, RT LEVI BROWN COULD PAVE THE WAY TO A 1,000+ YARD RUSHING SEASON FOR BEANIE WELLS?

42. By B on Feb 20, 2010 | Reply

enough of the Tyler Palko talk! They will still draft a qb late in the draft. Palko is not an NFL QB! I believe Leinart will do a fine job, this team has too many weapons to be any worse than 6-10. The Warner shadow is gone and now Matt can relax and do what he’s suppose to do.

43. By darrenurban on Feb 20, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Know –

I think Reggie Wells will remain in the lineup, No. 1. I think Beanie is good enough to get 1,000 yards behind a few different o-line versions.

And I ask you and everyone else to, if possible, not write in all caps. It gives me that feeling that you’re yelling and we’re all civilized here, right? ;)

44. By Ditsip on Feb 20, 2010 | Reply

In Whiz I trust. Who ever he puts in to start has my backing. No doubt about it.

45. By azfan.uk on Feb 20, 2010 | Reply

ive only been back into nfl 4 2 years, i chose the cards as i like an underdog team. and so far ive picked the right win/loss ratio ( 8/8 9/7.10/6). ive not seen enought of matt 2 judge this year, but with all the tools around him i think the cards will b ok. i think the main prob 4 the cards is defence. were really good i.e vikings, or really bad i.e saints, green bay. consistant defence is what we need.

46. By Dr Cardinal on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

The cardinals will be fine with out warner, and Lienart will lead the powerfull cardinals to another division title, 9-7.

Go cards

47. By Steve on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

I am not near concerened about Lienart and the offense as I am about the Cards defense. The defense was the reason we fell apart in the playoffs. In my opinion the defense was not as good as the previous year.

48. By dylan on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

i think lienart will be fine dont judge him behind denny green i mean seriously that guy.. idk if you can even call him a coach.lienart has played well most of the time but how are you gonna judge him when he doesn practice with the starters all week then comes in and everyone expects him to play like warner i mean thats just idiotic seriously lienart will be fine this year i say 10-6 again or maybe even better with our run game stepping it up. i know the schedule looks tough but who cares the cards have a great team stop doubting them already

49. By javier penunuri on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

trade matt he is NOT worth it. The bad thing is nobody is going to spend money on him.

50. By Shirley on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

I definitely believe Matt is finally hungry enough to be “the Man.” He’s matured these last two years and has kept a low-profile. Warner is irreplaceable…and I don’t think any true Cards fan expects Leinart to replace Warner. We want to see Leinart succeed Warner and establish a name for himself.

He can definitely be one of the big-name QBs this coming decade if he works for it. You look at his career at USC with those astounding numbers and can’t help but think he can be a winner if he plays his cards right. Two national titles, Heisman trophy, 3 time All-American, Pac-10 TD record holder, 37-2 as a starter…all of this taking over for Carson Palmer.

I’d much rather choose to trust Leinart will step up and shut up critics/haters.