• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Two weeks of decisions set offseason’s course

Posted by Darren Urban on February 21, 2010 – 6:21 pm

The next two weeks will heavily impact the direction of the Cards’ offseason, given that the annual Scouting Combine gets underway in Indianapolis in a couple of days and then free agency begins at the end of next week.

– The Cards want to keep LB Karlos Dansby and Dansby has insisted he hasn’t closed the door on the Cards. But in this depressed free agent market (thanks to the ongoing labor issues) Dansby could be considered the top free agent available in the entire NFL (especially with the glut of Julius Peppers’ bashing). Dansby was never going to get the franchise tag and given the circumstances, he won’t be getting the transition tag either.

– Antrel Rolle and the team have talked contract, but this close to Rolle’s magic date — he’s due that giant $4 million roster bonus next week — I expect him to be released into the open market. What that means is anyone’s guess. The Cardinals believe Rolle would like to come back, but again, it’s all relative when it comes to dollars. Could the Dolphins — and Miami is home for Rolle — come calling for big bucks given their issues with current free safety Gibril Wilson? Might the Giants, who had all kinds of secondary issues, choose to siphon away the guy who sealed their fate this past season? Someone else?

One of the other problems in the Rolle situation: When you’re talking numbers with a guy, I don’t see how the Cards can want to jump him over the deal Adrian Wilson just signed last season (I wouldn’t think Adrian would be all that excited about that either). Does that automatically set a ceiling for Rolle?

– The Cards are also going to have to give tender offers to their restricted free agents in the next week or so. The key RFAs for the Cards (assuming an uncapped year, which seems a foregone conclusion) are wide receiver Steve Breaston, center Lyle Sendlein, guard Deuce Lutui, tight end Ben Patrick and nose tackle Gabe Watson. There are slight differences in salary for RFAs this season now that guys might have three, four or five years of experience, but here’s how I think it’ll shake out: Breaston will get the first-round tender ($2.396 million) and the other four will get the second-round tender. In all cases, the Cards have the right of first refusal to match any offer another team gives, and that team would have to surrender the tendered draft pick if the Cards didn’t match.

But because of the rules changes, those second-round tenders could mean different things in terms of salary. For Sendlein (undrafted) and Patrick (seventh round), it would be $1.684 million. For Watson (fourth round), who has played four years, it would be $1.759 million. For Lutui, however, it could be two different salaries, since he was a second-round pick. He could get the same $1.759 million Watson would get in that situation, or the Cards could give him the salary for players who are tendered to their original draft round — $1.176 million — since a team would still have to give up a second-rounder for him.

– And then, of course, there is the combine itself, as the Cards begin to sort through their potential draft picks up close and personal.

It’s going to get interesting.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

68 Responses to “Two weeks of decisions set offseason’s course”

1. By Brayden on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

NO! We can’t give up Antrel Rolle!
    He’s worth keeping!

2. By Latina on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Interesting indeed! As always Darren, I am impressed with your knowledge.

3. By Tyler on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

How is it that just a few days ago Darren, you said Rolle won’t be released because he is going to get his money one way or another, so what has changed?

4. By Kent on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Is Rashad Johnson ready to take over for Rolle??

If this defense loses Rolle and Dansby it goes from Mediocre to Laughing Stock.

5. By ICDogg on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

The Eagles probably would be interested in Rolle.

6. By darrenurban on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Tyler –

A few days ago, I was speculating that the Cards wouldn’t need to release him if they were going to re-sign him for sure. Now, I think it’s a little more up in the air. You can’t have Rolle take his bonus and then tell the team, “I’m just going to collect my $8 million salary and become a free agent next year.”

7. By darrenurban on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Kent –

I think Rashad still has a lot to prove.

8. By Johnny V on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

If Rolle does become a free agent, and god forbid he signs with another team, how does the franchise explain potentially letting him and Dansby walk not to mention putting Dockett’s contract on the back burner. I know and respect the job Ken and Rod have done through the draft, but honestly when it comes to free agency we’ve struggled big time (Travis Laboy, Bryant McFadden). I mean it’s not like we’ve had New Orleans type luck out there on the open market. Plus wouldn’t letting Rolle and Dansby leave really hurt team morale? Not everyone’s Adrian Wilson, and what I mean by that it not everyone is a football first type player, and it’s nonsense to think that way. I’m extremely confused by all of this.

9. By Sean on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

I hope the Cards can find a way to fork out some money for Rolle and Dansby. Rolle is too great of a player to lose, and our secondary is mediocre with him, I’d hate to see it without. :/

As for Dansby, well, he’s Dansby. We need to keep him as well, what more needs to be said. If Baggs does as well in the NFL as he did in the CFL last season, him and Dansby can be another dynamic duo. Just like Fitz/Boldin, Wilson/Rolle, Dansby/Baggs. Looks good to me.

10. By Caleb on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Rolle’s contract status has been known since the day he signed it, and it was heavily emphasized at the beginning of this season. Given that scenario, why did the front office not seek to address this scenario prior to being confronted with the decision to release him, where he could walk free and clear? It frankly seems irresponsible to me. Unless there is something behind the scenes that we, as fans, are not privy to.

Thanks for keeping the offseason info flowing.

11. By Johnny V on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Sometimes you have to pay good players like great players, and that’s just how the league has developed. You talk about KILLING team moral if this were to happen. If I’m Darnell Dockett, why would I want to come back when everyone is worthy of a resigning let go into the open market. It’s just frustrating because you wonder what a guy has to do to be resigned. Super frustrating because I thought the Cards were past this sort of thing. Keeping the core together can’t be the top priority if this kind of thing happens, so don’t feed us that Rod.

12. By Bobf on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

My head is swimming. Is it August yet?

13. By darrenurban on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Johnny –

I guess we will see if that happens. In the Dansby case, I have a hard time being upset with the franchise given that they had a deal on the table for him last offseason that his previous agent negotiated and thought was good enough. Karlos decided he’d rather roll the dice and be a free agent. It looks like that will pay off. But just because some time might give him $25 million or $30 million in guarantees doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do for a team.

As for Rolle, it’s a much tougher position. I didn’t see a whole lot of fans ripping this team for not re-signing Rolle to an extension before this season. He struggled as a cornerback and struggled in his first year at free safety. Unfortunately, his contract had gotten unwieldy and it’s come at a perfect time — when the free agent market will be mostly barren and he’ll look even more attractive. Will team morale be hurt? Well, it depends on the guy. Some guys get irritated when its suggested that because a guy or two leaves they are going to stink. If Rolle is released, that doesn’t mean he goes elsewhere. As for Dockett, I understand your feeling, and I’m sure Darnell wants something different. But at the same time, Dockett is under contract until 2011 and the Cards still have the franchise tag they could use in 2012 and 2013, if needed. I believe Dockett will get his extension at some point. I’m not sure it’ll be this offseason, but it might. Personally, I would seriously consider it now, but I’m just the blogger.

Let me ask you (and anyone else) this: What would you pay to make sure Rolle stays? More than Adrian? Whatever he wants? Do you make him your highest paid defender? This is not a simple question.

14. By darrenurban on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Sean –

I am hoping Rolle’s journey over the next couple of weeks has him back in Arizona. But I do not think Karlos will be back.

15. By darrenurban on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Caleb –

I ask the same thing of you as I did to Johnny — what do you (or would you) have paid him? Rolle made great strides at FS this year, but after 2008, I don’t know if he was a lock to be a success there. He still has things he can improve upon. Rolle knew he would be in a position of leverage after the season, so unless they overpaid him — then or now — why would he sign a new deal? I think it’s much too easy to say, “Why didn’t the Cards address this sooner.” If they had locked him up and Rolle had been bad this season, people would be killing the team for extending a bad player. They also drafted Rashad Johnson to cover themselves in this situation — unfortunately, Rashad didn’t play as well as they had hoped.

16. By darrenurban on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Johnny –

As for your second comment, I don’t disagree about playing some good players like great players. But as I asked in the blog piece, do you pay Rolle more than Adrian? You talk about killing team morale, that situation doesn’t help in the locker room either. And Rolle is a free safety, not a quarterback, not a left tackle, not a pass rusher.

And if the Cards pay Darnell enough, he’ll re-sign.

17. By Johnny V on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Don’t mean to point frustration at you Darren, as you’ve done a great job updating us and giving us your honest opinion. Real quick though, if your allowed to answer, gut feeling on Rolle?

18. By SeeingRed on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

I am in agreement with Tyler. I am also confused by this whole thing. On one hand, you can make arguments for why it’s necessary to let players go, etc then on the other hand, it really looks at times that the Org-and I have a lot respect for what they have done- has a difficult time resigning players. Every resigning seems so dramatic (see Fitz, Warner, Wilson). I also get what Darren is saying but it’s still frustrating..

19. By azcardz Q fitz 911 on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

DARREN URBAN-

IT SEEMS ARE TEAM IS FALLING APART, HOW DO YOU THINK THIS SEASON WILL GO FOR US THIS YEAR, IS IT GOING TO BE A REBULDING SEASON FOR US?

20. By darrenurban on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Johnny –

Gut on being released? I think yes, he’ll become a free agent. Gut on coming back? I guess my gut says 50-50. I think the Cards will be a decent amount to keep him. If he leaves, it’ll be because some team way overpays. Which is always possible.

21. By darrenurban on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

azcardz –

Nothing happened today to have the Cards “fall apart.” There was always a chance Rolle would be released, and everyone knew for a long time Dansby will likely leave. We have a long offseason to go before anyone starts predicting what will happen in 2010.

22. By alex u on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

two words; this sucks. I want blackjack to remain a cardinal, dansby too, but mroe Rolle then dansby, damn this sucks.

23. By alex u on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

better hope that 3rd round pick from last year is good.

24. By Secret on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    The Rolle question isn’t easy to answer. He is pretty good, but not worth what he’ll get coming up. More answers will become clear when the combine comes, maybe the Cards might be interested in spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a FS? Or maybe something will show up in the FA? If nothing shows up, well I say suck it up and perhaps sign on a vet with johnson.

25. By Brayden on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

We have to keep Rolle.
    He’s worth every last penny.

26. By Brayden on Feb 21, 2010 | Reply

Oh and do you know the situation with Ben Patrick?
    I think he has a lot of undiscovered talent.

27. By Eazy E on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

No! No! No! We need Rolle/Wilson together for years to come. But, im sorry he can’t be paid more than A-Wil. A-Wil make about 8m per year, he should get around 6m, maybe a little more but not as much or more than Adrian. We need Rolle and Wilson together because I think their the best in the league and only going to get better. 2 Pro Bowl Safeties patrolling the secondary along with DRC and hopefully Dunta Robinson. I agree with darren on dansby. I remember when they were real close to an extension on dansby and he fired his agent and wanted even more than the Tatupu and more than the Bart Scott like deal. It seems like he want a lot more than those deals. We don’t need to lose rolle but i expect dansby to leave because of his greediness. Adrian is his best friend too on the team. That sucks though. Dansby needs to recognize we have other needs(NT, OLB, CB) on our defense and on our team as a whole.

28. By DON CHRISTENSEN on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

DARREN..THE FACT THAT ROLLE HAS BECOME A SAFETY AFTER BEING ORIGINALLY DRAFTED AND SIGNED AS CORNER COMPLICATES THINGS A LITTLE…FRANCHISED CB’S GET 9,566M AND FRANCHISED SAFETIES GET 6,455M…ROLLE’S AGENT ISN’T GOING TO WANT TO HEAR THAT, ESPECIALLY SINCE ROLLE WAS BEATEN OUT BY TWO VERY ORDDINARY CB’S, AND TEN MOVED TO SAFETY….

29. By John on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Let me say, I want to keep Rolle. But as Darren said, “At what cost”. This is what happens when teams get good. Players leave for big bucks.

The problem is, good teams have players in place to take over. The Cards knew about Rolle and drafted Johnson to take over. They knew they would need a OLB to rush the passer and drafted Cody Brown. Problem is neither player showed they could step up. When Antonio Smith left, most saw that Cambell was able to step up. The jury is out on the other two.
    They also signed McFadden to a 2 year deal to allow Toler to mature. Toler may take over this year at CB.

Cards seem to be falling apart cuz Toler,Brown or Johnson didn’t show up. But lets say this;
    Cards draft a great passrusher like Brandon Graham
    Then , the next to picks are Nate Allen FS and Daryl Washington ILB (I believe Boldin gives us an extra 2nd rounder) and in the 3rd round they snag a corner like Jerome Murphy or Chris Cook. They make one big splash with signing a NT and bring in Joey Porter. You now have Reggie Walker and Daryl Washington battling for Dansby’s spot. Porter, Graham, Brown, and Davis as the OLB, and McFadden, Toler, and Murphy battling as the other CB. Nate Allen could step in from day one as FS.
    Is the Sky falling now? Would you really be that disappointed if that was our off season?

30. By John on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

My predictions for our two free agents;

Rolle ends up having a Star on his helmet in Dallas.

Dansby ends up in New England.

Neither will be back.

31. By darrenurban on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Secret –

It isn’t a foregone conclusion Rolle leaves.

32. By darrenurban on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Brayden –

Patrick is a restricted free agent, as I noted in the blog item. I expect him to be tendered and remain here.

33. By darrenurban on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Don –

As I have noted many times before, a player is worth whatever he can get. If someone thinks Rolle is worth $20 million guaranteed, I can’t blame him for wanting that, nor could I blame the Cards for probably passing on it.

34. By Bryan on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

IT IS POSSIBLE TAYLOR MAYS COULD FALL TO THE CARDINALS IN THE FIRST ROUND. THERE ARE SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT HIM, BUT COULD YOU IMAGINE A SECONDARY WITH HIM AND ADRIAN WILSON? TALK ABOUT NO ONE WANTING TO COME ACROSS THE MIDDLE! PAIR THAT WITH THE SPEED AND POTENTIAL OF DRC AND TOLER (WHO LOOKED GOOD WHEN GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY) AND THIS COULD BE A GREAT SECONDARY. MAYBE MOVE MCFADDEN TO NICKEL BACK BECAUSE TEAMS ARE USING MORE DEFENSIVE BACKS ANYWAYS OR THAT SEEMS TO BE THE TREND. OF COURSE THIS IS ALL MOOT WITH NO PASS RUSH. ROLLE IS A GREAT ATHLETE BUT SEEMED TO DISSAPEAR FOR GAMES AT A TIME. JUST MY OPINION.

35. By darrenurban on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Bryan –

We will see on Mays. I suppose it is possible he could fall that far.

36. By Zack Potter on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

I think we will be fine. I really liked the article in whiz we trust, cause that is how i feel lol. I think he can get it done no matter what. However what I am disappointed is that we seem to struggle keeping the team together. It happened in 98′ too. It seems to me like teams such as the patriots and colts can keep there core players together. Idk it just seems like all the cardinals players are extremely money hungry.

37. By darrenurban on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Zack –

Let’s hold on on comparisons to the Colts/Patriots. Patriots fans weren’t happy when the team was getting rid of Lawyer Milloy/Deion Branch/Assante Samuel/Mike Vrabel/Richard Seymour. The Colts have let a handful of guys go over the years. It happens with every team, even the most successful. Choices have to be made sometimes. And as I mentioned before, Rolle leaving isn’t set in stone. Dansby leaving probably was cemented last year, when it was clear he wasn’t signing an extension.

38. By cardinalconvert on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

To put a realistic view here, Cardinals were not exactly world-beaters on defense. I don’t think Rolle should be given more than Adrian. But, I want Rolle back. However, if they get a good replacement for Rolle, I am fine with it.

39. By Zack Potter on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Yea I guess I didn’t think about those Pats players. It is going to be an interesting off season. But as you said, In Whiz We Trust. Can we get him signed though! Because is it fair to say if Coach leaves that we are in trouble???

40. By logan cooper on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

I say let rolle go. That rolle got burned more than my grandmas homemade rolls.

Lets go after the other safety named rolle in the draft. Myron rolle.

Darren have you heard anyone around the club talking about Myron rolle.
    He is seems like a whiz guy to the core.

41. By Jeff on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

I can’t see Rolle coming back if the Cards cut him before his bonus is due in March. If my company decided to fire me before my bonus was due and then hire me back, I’d tell them to kiss it,

42. By darrenurban on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Logan –

I have not heard about Myron Rolle at this point. It’s early though.

43. By darrenurban on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Jeff –

But if your company was offering you a long-term deal — especially knowing the original bonus was designed to force a renegotiation — and you turned it down because you wanted to see what other companies would offer you first (knowing your company still wanted you), what would your thoughts be then?

44. By Bryan on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

One last comment about Antrel or Karlos leaving as free agents or being released, whatever. In the past players such as Simeon Rice, Jake Plummer, Thomas Jones, Leonard Davis, Kyle Vanden Bosch ( by the way the only one that broke my heart was Plummer, especially since i live outside of Denver )have left for the money and truely greener pastures. Rice won a superbowl, plummer went on to a winning organization and was one game away from the superbowl, jones played in a superbowl and finally lived up to his potential, davis has been in the pro bowl every year in Dallas since they decided to use him at guard where he is most suited to play, and even Vanden Bosch has had some success with the Titans. However, i believe the times are a changing. Never was a huge Calvin Pace fan, but i dont see him becoming a probowler with the jets and they have the defense to suit him as well. Bryant Johnson and Antonio Smith made great Cardinals and I dont think they’ll match their previous success as Cardinals. So good luck to #21 and #58 of which i am fans of both and who are great Cardinals. But remember the grass is not always greener on the otherside anymore!! Go Cards

45. By John on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Remember, the Cards were near the bottom in pass defense. They dont need a guy who takes bad angles and looks to knock people out. The Cards have their guy, A-Dub, who drops into the box and blast people. They need a guy , like Ed Reed(everyone does), who reads the QB and covers the whole field. Earl Thomas fits the bill better in the first round as a Free Safety, But Get some info on Nate Allen. Watch him at the Senior bowl practices. You will come away loving Allen. Allen could start from day one. Mays could be good,He could end up being like A-Dub or A bigger version of Bob Sanders. I just think that is not the safety they need.

46. By mark on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Would everyone be talking about needing to sign Rolle so bad if that pass Aaron Rodgers threw at the begining of overtime was completed. Greg Jennings had torched Rolle and was wide open but was over-thrown. Rolle has proven he can make plays at times, but has also proven he is no Darren Sharper or Ed Reed. The secondary for the cards needs improvement and he is part of the reason they were not very good. Rolle was moved from defensive back to safety for a reason, becasue he cant cover a wide-out one on one. It seems to me he missed his calling and should be playing on offernse. When he gets his hands on the ball he is very elusive and makes plays, kinda reminds you of Boldin. Playmakers like him are needed but if he asks to much money and will not sign oh well, maybe Rashad Johnson steps up next year or they draft someone who will.

47. By kdohi on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

oh this sucks, we need him. c’mon wth is happing to our cards. we losing almost all key players.

48. By EaglesFan on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

RELEASE ROLLE PLEASE!

I would love to see him in green and white playing the position the great Dawkins played!. Looks like the Cards are in a bit of a problem this offseason

49. By TucsonTim on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Great stuff Darren, thanks!

50. By Andrew on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

I’d like to see Rolle come back but he is NOT a superstar and we should NOT pay him like one. If someone else does, let them overspend. I’d certainly like him back but I really hope we don’t give him too much that could be spent somewhere else more importantly (Darnell Dockett).

Can everyone please stop panicking about the Cardinals “falling apart” and whatever else people are saying. This is going to be a long and very important offseason for the Cardinals. Let’s see what happens before we panic in February.

51. By Steve J on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

I hate to see the Cards lose great or very good players as much as anybody. I understand there is only so much $$ to go around and not everyone can get paid. It seems this year could be a bit of a transition year since Warner and Berry are gone and Dansby and Rolle and who-knows-who else are likely gone too.

I’m happy as long as the front office and coach Wiz keep trying to put together a contending team each year. As long as we can make the playoffs from time to time and make some deep runs once in a while too I’m happy. There are always F.A.’s and 2nd, 3rd year players moving up ready to take on a larger role. We have new young starts on the roster now, just develop those guys. I’ve read online about other F.A. wanting to come to AZ, how often in the past has THAT HAPPENED?!?! You never know what you have until the season starts anyway.

Like everyone else I want the Cards to keep the star players but tomorrows stars are young and working hard and ready to be better than those that are leaving.

To the “Front Office” guys, just continue to spend the money the right way, don’t be cheap asses (thank you for NOT being cheap in recent years!) and keep up the good work. I’m in your corner.

PS … Darren, when do find out season ticket prices for next year?

52. By darrenurban on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Steve –

I am not sure on the ticket prices. Let me see if I can get a time line. I will update this comment when I get an answer.

53. By Derek on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I have a question that relates to the whole free-agency situation. Do you think the Cards will resign Neil Rackers? He has had some tough times in AZ, but the only two kickers with any major experience that I know of that are available are Olindo Mare and Matt Stover. What’s your opinion?

Also, what do you think of this scenario?

Trade Antrel Rolle and Tim Hightower to Chargers for Antonio Cromartie, then pick up LaDanian Tomlinson.

54. By darrenurban on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Derek –

Regarding Rackers, I think the Cards have to think about that. We all know Neil’s strengths and weaknesses right now. Mike Nugent gave them something decent when he was in; if Rackers is too pricey or if they want to make a change, I think they can find a kicker.

No one is going to trade for Rolle right now, because his contract is an issue. If you deal for him, then that new team is on the hook for a $4+ M roster bonus and that $8 M salary. There are too many red flags with Cromartie right now in my opinion. Why else would a team want to deal a Pro Bowl young CB? And as for LT, sorry, but he looks out of gas to me. Like Shaun Alexander and Edge before him, I wonder about the ability to go from superstar to fill-in backup.

55. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Interesting, indeed…my gosh, I’m starting to think we’re all gonna need programs on opening day next year because we won’t know who our own team is! I swear, it’s making my head hurt. As I read these comments, it seems to me that so many people look at Dansby and say we don’t need him. Then they look at Rolle and say we don’t need him. But when you lose all of these individual parts, what happens to your defense AS A UNIT??? Berry is already gone. Okeafor is probably gone. OK, then Dansby and Rolle, too? To quote a line from the Lion King – and everyone’s OK with this??? Maybe it’s me…because I didn’t realize we had all the replacements for these guys ready to step right in and pick it up without missing a beat. I’m prepared to lose Dansby and I’m sure I’ll miss him but ya know what? For what he might end up costing, it’s better to let him go than overpay to keep him. But Rolle? No. He is absolutely a core member of this defense and they have to keep a core together. And as much as I love Adrian Wilson, I’m not sold on the notion that his salary number sets the ceiling for what they can or can’t do with Rolle. That would be fine if Wilson could play forever, but he can’t. Rolle is a younger player and he might be the guy we know we’ll be able to count on a few years down the line when Wilson isn’t what he used to be. Also, don’t forget that Rolle offers a rare versatility in that he can return kicks and punts and he can be used as a wild-cat weapon on offense. Not everyone gives you that. Sigh…so, THIS is what it’s like to have more talent than you can afford? Maybe I’m just so freaked out ’cause I’ve never experieinced this before. None of us have – we’re CARDINAL fans!!!

56. By cards62 on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

If we lose these guys we have to be active in free agency becuase the draft is not going to fill all of our needs and we can not depend on all of our young guys to step up next year. Great if they do, but we can not count on this and in my opinion we need a left tackle and center on offense. So in owners, general manager, and coach I trust, but Cardinal fans we are having a very interesting off season and I hope we are all happy by the time our team is put together come August. Go Cards!!!

57. By Tbru on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

Ok what is becoming my standard question lol

If Rolle is released and gets snatched up is that the same as loosing a UFA under the current CBA terms?

It seems like we are loosing players and handcuffed from replacing them.
    any one else in the CFL any good? Rolle has a knack for finding the endzone, I hope he can be retained.

I wonder how many more acronyms I could put in a single post?

58. By Eazy E on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

LT played behind an offensive line that can’t run block. Their pretty good at protecting rivers but they can’t maul anybody. Darren Sproles didnt have a great year either, their o-line is to blame. LT is still a great back and whoever gets him will be thankful.

59. By DON CHRISTENSEN on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

ARE WE GOING TO FRANCHISE OIR TRANSITION ANYONE THIS YEAR? RACKERS??? BEEN DONE BEFORE WITH PK’S. (GRAHAM, CINCY)..

60. By darrenurban on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

Tbru –

No, Rolle would not qualify as losing a free agent.

61. By darrenurban on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

Eazy E –

I appreciate your opinion. In my opinion, however, LT is done.

62. By darrenurban on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

Don –

That is a possibility.

63. By ricky williams on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

Rolle comes home and plays in miami.
    go dolphins
    gibril wilson sucks

64. By CardsRep928 on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

IN WHIZ I TRUST…let rolle go besides a handful of interceptions, a couple gadgets, and some flashy returns…in my opinion does not outweigh the big plays he has given up on botched tackles. As far as dansby, rolle, dockett, and anyone else from the pre-whiz era let some other suckers overpay like the Jets (Calvin Pace) or the Texans (Antonio Smith)…Having said that look what we got out of CC after he sat and studied for one season. Come on people we have a very solid scouting team, and I cant think of one bad draft pick from the whisenhunt era, can you?

65. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

CardsRep928 -

Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Wilson are all from the “pre-whiz” era, too…should we get rid of them as well??? Where’s your head, man? Dansby, Dockett, and Rolle would, collectively, form one heck of a defensive core for any team in this league. Along with Wilson, they ARE pretty much the core of our defense right now. They’re Pro Bowl caliber players, period. I don’t care who drafted them! I agree that they can’t overpay for Dansby with all of their other needs, but Rolle and Dockett need to be kept right here in Arizona. And EVERYONE needs to keep in mind that the Cardinals can’t simply get everything they need via free agency. First of all, they are restricted by this “final eight” thing and all teams are facing the possibility of no season in 2011 and are gonna be reluctant to sign guys as a result.

66. By bsitz on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

Hopefully you guys let em go and he comes to dallas…….man wed have such a nice secondary

67. By ramon on Jul 25, 2010 | Reply

Well august is almost here, I am a little anxious to see the Cards chemisty.

2. Aug 12, 2011: Could the Arizona Cardinals cut Antrel Rolle this week? | Fanster.com - All Sports. All Phoenix.