Off to Indy

Posted by Darren Urban on February 24, 2010 – 7:41 am

The Cardinals’ coaches aren’t the only ones heading to Indianapolis for the scouting combine. I am too, flying out in a couple of hours for the snowy center of the NFL universe, at least for a few days. I’ll be talking to all the Cards’ decision-makers there as well as many NFL coaches and general managers who will be speaking (I saw Mike Shanahan, new Redskins’ coach famous for avoiding all media in Indy when he was the Broncos’ coach, scheduled to take a turn at the podium this weekend). We’ll also be working on a couple of video pieces for the website.

In case you weren’t sure, the 2010 season is upon us.

Tags: ,

22 Responses to “Off to Indy”

1. By money for nine-0 on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    whats the word with dockett??? are we getting drc’s corner cousin??

2. By James Sancto (the English Cardinal) on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Glad to hear it. Have a good time.

I’m sure you were planning to; but could you give the fans an idea of the players that the Cards’ staff are impressed with. Or any other murmurings that you hear regarding draft prospects.

Much appreciated.

3. By Roy on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Can you please ask someone what the hold-up is in getting Antrel Rolle extended. He and AW make a nice tandem and Antrel is the younger of the 2. We have enough holes already to try an fill in the draft and FA, I hope FS is not another one. Is he asking for too much guaranteed $, too many years, does he want to walk, does he want his $8.5 million?

4. By gordo on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

darren i think we should release mcfadden and get daunta robinson, and also pierce and pennington would be good offseason moves… and have u heard anything about boldin getting traded

5. By Brett Haley on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Hey it’s Brett Haley, just wanted to tell you have a safe trip and give us some good info on who you think we will be drafting. Oh BTW do you think we will draft a QB to compete with Matt or sign a veteren back up, and if so who do you think that would be? there is not a whole lot of veteren QB’s in FA this year is there?

Thanks Darren,

Brett

6. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Great! I was hoping the team would fly you out there.

Not a slight on you in anyway, but just don’t ask anyone to, “describe how you are feeling”, or “describe your emotions” or other garbage questions that take absolutely zero thought or creativity. I can’t believe people pay reporters to ask such predictable questions devoid of any real thought. I don’t have a lot of pitty for reporters who lament the dearth of original, honest answers when the same reporters ask their interviewees the same predictable questions they been asked a thousand times before.

Sorry about the rant. Just getting fed up with a couple of weeks of that type of questioning as the Olympics plod on (that, after enduring an entire NFL season of Andrea Kramer and other sideline reporters asking those same kind of questions over and over and…)

7. By Tbru on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Stay warm

They should move the combine to Glendale.

8. By AZ Realist on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Any plans on posting the Kurt Warner special on the site any time soon? Us out-of-state fans sure would like to see it.

9. By CardsRep928 on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Time to find replacements for Dansby, Dockett, McFadden, and Rolle….I love it

10. By nor cal cards fan on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Greetings Urb from warm and sunny California. Hope you’re having a safe trip. What do you think about us possibly packaging a couple of picks and moving up in the 1st round? I know it hasn’t been Rod’s style in the past, but i think we need to get a stud at linebacker this year with Karlos, Chike, and B-Train all departing and Cody Brown unproven… or do we go for depth?

11. By John on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

This is one of the best times of the year.I love the combine. You should thank God everyday for your job, Darren.

Darren, since you missed it, the senior bowl coverage is being re-run friday evening. Slap on the TIVO… At the combine, some freaks of nature may blow you away like Jason Pierre-Paul and Taylor Mays. But keep your eyes on my three guys, Sean Witherspoon,Nate Allen and Brandon Graham. Pierre-Paul will look the part, but Graham, at 6’1″ and 260, just sacks QBs. After watching these two play in the senior bowl, you’ll see why I’m so high on them. Also, check out Nate Allen. After the big 2 safeties in Earl Thomas and Eric Berry, this guy could be the third best safety.I’d take him in a heart beat over Mays for the Cards.
    Nudge Whiz a bit to take a look too.
    I’m just saying…
    The draft is the difference between the good franchise we are becoming over the last few years and one that has 1 winning season in 20 years. How could you not be excited?

12. By RED BIRD 66 on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Better watch out, I watched whiz play the back 9 in the pro am and he might not be it a good mood. Just kidding he is a good player and that course was ridiculous today. Go Cards fight the steal of the draft.

13. By darrenurban on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Money for nine-0 —

The Cards aren’t going to trade for Cromartie. And as for Dockett, that’s on the backburner until the Cards get through free agency.

14. By darrenurban on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Roy —

I think it’s safe to say that Rolle believes if he is a free agent, he will get major money. The market will determine his worth.

15. By darrenurban on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Gordo —

Any trades wouldn’t happen until near the draft, I would think.

16. By darrenurban on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Brett —

The Cards will likely sign a veteran and look to draft a QB as well. But you are right, the veteran QB crop is thin.

17. By darrenurban on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Az Realist —

Soon.

18. By darrenurban on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Nor Cal —

I don’t see the Cards giving up multiple picks just to move up, especially in a year where most agree it is a deep draft.

19. By Brett Haley on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

The Leinart article is awesome, I truly believed in him when Denny Green drafted him, now that he has had the time behind HOF (and arguably the BEST post season QB EVER) Kurt Warner, I think it is his time to shine. look what he did in college, elects to go 4 years instead of entering the draft his Junior year, his record was 37 and 2 with one of those losses in a bowl game against??? Good ol Vince Young, we kind of saw a repeat of that game with the Titans this year.

He is a Heisman Trophy winner and took USC to back to back bowl games.

In other words he KNOWS how to win even if the NFL is a faster paced league, I think Matt will take us to the playoffs in 2010 and a super bowl in the years to come.

I have seen Matt in the Old Town Scottsdale scene when he first got here and I think the time behind Warner has helped him mature both on the field and off it.

I see many good things to come with this club as long as we have Whiz and Graves. Mike Bidwill seems to be opening up the pocket book to keep talent unlike Bill (my father knows the Bidwills dating back to St. Louis) who used to draft future HOF but release them after they proved themselves and wanted the money they were worth.

in other words I am a Matt Leinart BACKER to the fullest!!!!!!!!

20. By Mike"Pay Q" on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Roy, Maybe the “hold up” in extending Rolle is we would have the 2 highest paid safeties in the league, and yet our pass defense gave up 90 points in 2 playoff games and has been around the bottom of the league for years.

21. By Mr. Know It All on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Pay Q
    I heard Larry Fitz got 17million for the 2009 season.

22. By dylan on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

yeah i think thats the exact reason but idk the cards do need to pick up some defensive players im more worried about our defense then matt lienart