• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

The “grave mistake” to discount Cardinals

Posted by Darren Urban on February 25, 2010 – 8:49 am

Here at the combine, 49ers coach Mike Singletary was one of the first men to speak to the media, and he was asked about the idea that the NFC West was for the 49ers to take now that Kurt Warner retired.

Singletary slowly shook his head as the question was finished.

“It is a grave mistake for us as a football team that just because you take Kurt Warner out of the mix, to think it is our division,” Singletary said, building into one of those quotable moments for which Singletary has quickly become famous. “We have to make sure we are not looking at Seattle. We’re not looking at Arizona. I don’t care about those things.

“I was thinking it was our division before you get Kurt Warner out. I was hoping we’d think that last year. Think that way this year. I want them to think that way every year.”

I notice Singletary didn’t mention the Rams.

Tags: , , , ,

19 Responses to “The “grave mistake” to discount Cardinals”

1. By pjdylan on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

I still don’t understand how the 9ers swept us this last season. Our record SHOULD have been 12-4. Do we have a chance against them without Kurt?

2. By darrenurban on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

PJ –

Singletary apparently thinks so. So do I.

3. By Will on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

I’ve always been a Singletary fan. I grew up a Bears fan (until the Cards came here, of course), and I think he’s a great coach, too. I’d love for him to be successful….if he weren’t in our division. :) I have faith in Whis, and if he says Matt can do it, then he probably can. Here’s to a third straight NFC West title!

4. By Pay Dockett! on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

I predict the rams arent going to be as bad as last year or the year before for that matter. I think the rams are an up and coming team within the next few years. This year though, the rams will still have a losing record i believe, but it will be a lot better than 1-15. Nkongimn (SP) Suh i think will give the NFL west’s QBs some problems.

5. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

The competition in the NFC West, and that includes the Rams, is only going to get better this year, which should make the Cardinals better if they are to win the division for a third straight year.

The Cardinal’s divisional opponents will already have taken five first-round picks off the board before the Cardinal’s get their first shot at #26.

First round draft picks in 2010:

Rams – #1
    Seattle – #6
    San Francisco – #13
    Seattle – #14
    San Francisco – #16
    Arizona – #26

I’m not lamenting that fact at all because picking late in the first round is what good teams have to deal with. I’m just making the case, IMO, that winning the NFC West title in 2010 is going to be harder than it was for the Cardinals in 2009 or 2008. The 49ers beat the Cardinals twice last year, and the Seahawks and Rams can’t get any worse than they were last year. The Rams always play the Cards tough when they are healthy.

IMO, a divisional race that is close the entire year (no more than a one game lead during the season) will put more emphasis on the players to playing up to their full potential every game in 2010. The “ON/OFF” switch that the Cardinals have been so adept at toggling the past two seasons will need to be welded firmly in the, “ON” position for the entire 2010 season if the Cards want to make the playoffs (let alone win the division for a third straight year).

6. By Steven on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

I’m going to laugh when the Rams finish ahead of the Niners next year.

7. By Dave on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

While the 9ers and Seahawks have 2 early picks each in the draft, the Cards have some extra cash to consider how to use wisely with the departure of Warner, and the impending departure of Dansby and Rolle. It remains to see what happens with Boldin as well. He could be traded for a pick or 2 or a player.
    I’m real curious to see what happens with McFadden too.

We have our own irons in the fire to keep us busy obviously.

8. By Eric on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

The 49ers are a good team. Most of their losses last season were by a very small margin. They have alot of talent and a good coaching staff. With the turmoil among Cardinals personnel this offseason, it’s no surprise that many are picking the 49ers to take the division. Heck, many “experts” picked the 49ers LAST SEASON!

As much as I hate to say it, anyone who thinks the 49ers are going to finish below the Rams or who talks smack about Singletary may be in for a rude awakening next year. That’s the same kind of arrogance that makes many Cardinals fans hate 49ers fans.

9. By kerouac9 on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

I’m not so much worried about opponents’ draft pick as much as the fact that the Cards are ceding their edge in the division by letting so many established veterans walk away.

There just aren’t the players available in free agency to replace those talents. If either is allowed to leave, I think the Cards can maintain their edge; but if BOTH aren’t seen on Hardy Drive again, then I think this team is going to be officially rebuilding and Matt Leinart is going to get blamed for the team’s 7-9 record (or worse).

10. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

PJ,

The Niners beat us last year because they outplayed us on the line of scrimmage, out-hit us, and took advantage of certain match-ups against us (combine all that with the ridiculous amount of turnovers in game 2 and it’s easy to see why we lost those games). I think we’ll have a significantly different look and game plan next season, and yes, I think we’ll be competitive even without Warner.

11. By 949cardsfan on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

I’d say last year was pretty much a bust of a draft on the Defensive side of the ball. One more draft like that and we are battling the Rams for the cellar in the NFC West. The coaches in this league who can identify talent keep their teams in the running year in, and year out. Keep doin’ what your doin’ Whiz, the ‘O’ is fine. But feel free to help out drafting some legit defensive talent this year. If we lose Dansby and Rolle, the ‘D’ goes from average to bad. We desperately need a strong draft on the defensive side this year. We’ll see!!!

12. By Joe-B on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

Kudos Singletary. I’ve always been a fan of him since my dad is from Chicago.

13. By Jesus on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

why are Cardinals fans talking about the 49ers
    Go Cards!!

Oh Yeah,
    PAY DOCKETT!!!!!!!

give Rolle some money too!

14. By Darthcard on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

There’s very little to respect about the NFC west. Let’s be honest yeah 49ers play sound defense but offensively they are a gore… I mean bore. The cards were a team with offensive talent with a championship caliber qb. Look at the qbs in the NFC west. Matts unproven…that 49er guy stinks. Matt hass hasn’t been productive since god knows when. Bulger….yeah he plays for the lambs. This is why the NFC west is a joke

15. By Jesse Robles on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

I feel next year will be the year that TWO NFC WEST TEAMS will make the playoffs.

16. By Jesus on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

Darthcard,
    NFC Champions 2 out of the last five have been nfc west teams. 2005 SEAHAWAKS/ WEST, 2006 bears/ north, 2007 giants/ east, 2008 CARDINALS/ WEST, and 2009 saints/ south. guess the west is not that bad after all.

17. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

I hate to say it but as much as I loved Kurt Warner, it just seemed like the 49ers had his number. It wasn’t just last year, either. The 49ers have been a thorn in the Cardinals’ side for several years. Remeber the game just a few years ago that the 49ers won in OT when they sacked Warner in his own end-zone and recovered the fumble for the win? That game was in Arizona and the Cardinals were leading by 16 points in the second half! I don’t remember Warner having any real good games against the 49ers in recent memory, but it wasn’t all his fault. Our defense has had some memorable collapses against them as well. They are a talented team that is now very well coached under Singletary. They will not allow the Cardinals to simply cruise to another division title. The Cardinals are still a better team but if they want another division crown, the 49ers will make them earn it.

18. By dan on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

Singletary can kiss my brite red rosy on main street. I hate the 9ers and Singletary thinks he’s EF Hutton.

19. By robertruiz on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

the cardinals have to pay dockett and rolle . there is no question about that. then if necessay trade boldin for a higher pick that would bring us a linebacker or defensive end in the draft . these are the the most important moves. at 26 tho they could still find a player ,but defense is the priority.