Getting busier in Indy

Posted by Darren Urban on February 26, 2010 – 10:00 am

Yesterday seemed kinda slow here at the Scouting combine — at least, until that small piece of news late in the afternoon — but it’s picked up today. More coaches and general managers are streaming through the media room (and being accosted by the mob afterward, like new Redskins coach Mike Shanahan) and the quarterbacks are scheduled to come through today. Owner Bill Bidwill will be honored by the Fritz Pollard Alliance later today for his role in hiring minorities in his organization. And I am bouncing around collecting some video for some azcardinals.com TV that will be posted over the next week or so.

The buzz around here — aside from the report the Rams are going to take quarterback Sam Bradford with the No. 1 pick — has been the contract extensions for Ken Whisenhunt and Rod Graves. It’s clear the move ratcheted up the reputation of the Cards from a national perspective by keeping the men in place that have put the team on the right track.

Oh, and if you want to see Fitz atop an elephant

Tags: , ,

21 Responses to “Getting busier in Indy”

1. By MoJo on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Do you expect Wiz to try to hire an OC to help him focus on the team?

2. By Chris Waldrop on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Have you been hearing any buzz in Indy about Q being traded? I read something that said it was being heavily discussed there.

3. By John on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Rams taking Bradford ? WOW. Nothing like taking a young QB and putting him behind a horrible offensive line and have him throw to no WRs. I like Bradford, but I saw the Rams trading down and drafting an offensive lineman and getting a wr or two. Then get into the Jake Locker sweepstakes next year.

Darren, any buzz on the 49ers using their 2 1st round picks and coming up to get a QB ? Although in same division, seems like the best deal for both Rams and 49ers (who really need to upgrade their QB). They’re not set on Smith are they? Bradford throwing to Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree could be a headache for years for the Cards.

4. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

MoJo –

No. I think right now Whiz likes how they operate as a staff. Eventually, I think passing game coordinator Mike Miller will become the OC.

5. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

Without being too specific, lemme say I have a pretty good idea of where that buzz came from. Right now, it’s just talk. Literally.

6. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

John –

Here was Singletary’s quote on Alex Smith yesterday:

“I feel very good about saying that Alex Smith is our starter going into the next football season. The thing for me is I’m always going to use words like ‘probably’ and all those other things because I like competition. I like guys knowing that they’re always going to compete. But I feel very comfortable in saying Alex Smith is our starting quarterback going forward.”

7. By 949cardsfan on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

What will the Cards be asking for in return for Q in a trade?

8. By Jason on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

lmao I love that brilliant segue that came out of left field from the combine to fitz on an elephant. That really made me laugh.

9. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

949 –

Good question. I expect they will start for a first-round pick, but I think they will be willing to discuss that point.

10. By John on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

That says he will pick a QB somewhere in this draft. Maybe moving up to get Bradford. Interesting. Niners are moving in the right direction to close the gap between us and them.
    Going after Warner says they are willing to be bold. Guess we will see.
    Tony Pike is catching alot of buzz. Are the Cards looking at Qb early in this draft? 2nd or third?

11. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

John –

Perhaps. It’s too early to tell that though. It’ll depend how they build the draft board and who is available. I will have a story on the subject tonight.

12. By adam larson on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what about a QB in the 4th or 5th Round? Max Hall is a local guy, and he is currently residing in Gilbert with his pregnant wife!

Also, I hear the CARDS may go after a TE too? what about Dennis Pitta from BYU also? Pitta and Hall are bro-in-laws.

13. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Adam –

Well, I wouldn’t get caught up in the Arizona connections. You’re general thoughts — that the Cards could take a mid-round QB and that they could draft a TE — are very possible.

14. By pjdylan on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

I want Breaston back. If we get that done then Q can go wherever he wants. And Early will step up to the plate nicely. Cards are dominating the West.

15. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

I’m guessing the buzz about Bradford is coming from his agent, who is probably named, “Drew Rosenhaus”. Am I getting hotter or colder (without getting into specifics)?
    ;)

16. By John on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

I think how high the cards decide to draft a QB , says alot about what they think of Leinart. I feel the team needs defense (as you could tell from my post) If they jump on a QB , say Dan LeFevour or Tony Pike in the 2nd, they do not believe in Leinart for the future. If they wait and take a Sean Canfield or Jarret Brown later in the draft, they have more belief. Whats your thoughts ?

17. By k. on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

darren now you’ve got me curious as to where this buzz originated! i have my ideas. looking for to more information. thanks as always.

enough with the ’9er’s stuff already!

18. By Secret on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Rams aren’t taking Suh? bad move. Bradford and his Oline wont be a problem for the card’s upgraded pass rush :D

19. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Ottis –

Well, I wouldn’t know, but there is always that possibility. I can tell you Bradford is highly thought of. And when you are spending huge money, sometimes teams figure it is better to go to a franchise QB.

20. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

John –

I don’t think there is any way they take one of those guys that early. Too risky.

21. By Jesse Robles on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

I hope a lot of Offensive players are drafted in the first round, Sam Bradford to the Rams makes me smile a lot. The more Offensive players drafted in the first round means the better Defensive Player the Cardinals can draft with the 26th pick. I don’t want Suh, or Mccoy in the NFC West unless they are playing for the Cards.