Levi Brown again

Posted by Darren Urban on February 26, 2010 – 12:41 pm

Levi Brown was here in Indy.

No, not the Cardinals’ right-soon-to-be-left tackle/Pro Bowl alternate Levi Brown, but the Troy hoping-to-get-drafted quarterback Levi Brown. Levi the QB has some size – 6-foot-3, 220 pounds – but Levi the tackle “is a little bit bigger than me,” he acknowledged.

(Levi the tackle? 6-5 and 324. Just a little bit bigger.)

If Levi the quarterback wasn’t aware of Levi the tackle once upon a time, he certainly was in April of 2007. “It’s weird,” Levi the QB said. “A couple years ago when he was coming out, people saw it on the news he got drafted and I had some people calling me, sending me text messages and asking my parents, ‘Did Levi get drafted already?’ I was like, ‘I’m only a sophomore. How am I going to get drafted?’ ”

At the time, Levi the QB was actually in the middle of transferring. He had been teammates with current Cardinals running back Tim Hightower at the University of Richmond. He sat out 2007 while transferring to Troy. And now he comes out for the draft after throwing for 4,254 yards and 23 touchdowns as a senior, projected to be a mid-to-late-round draft pick in a year where the Cardinals are expected to draft a quarterback in the mid-to-late rounds.

He could be reunited with Hightower. Or meeting his eponymous tackle.

“Maybe there will be two of us on the same team,” Levi the QB said with a laugh. “That would be interesting.”

Tags: ,

36 Responses to “Levi Brown again”

1. By Jason on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

is it semi-official that the cards are going to move Levi back to his natural LT position?

2. By adrian wilson on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

that is not levi darren its leonard davis. spell check or photo check or something before u post.

3. By Eazy E on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

That would be super weird!!!

4. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

With Matt now the starter, has the team reconsidered moving Levi Brown away from Matt’s blind side (i.e. from RT to LT)? I thought Matt was one of the reasons the team asked Levi to play RT instead of the LT position he played in college, but I could be wrong on the recollection.

Regardless, I would like to see how Levi compares in regular season action at LT vs RT though.

Hopefully we’ll see a bit more of the run game next year which will allow the OL to dish out more punishment than they absorb from the DL. The consensus among broadcasters who were former players is the OL would prefer to run block (be the mauler) versus pass blocking (being the mauled).

5. By CardsDNA on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

ohhhhh darren I can see what kind of day it has been in Indy. Lol.

I did like it though, and it would be great fun for Fox on sundays. :)

6. By Derek on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Who would be the best replacement for Dansby?

7. By Secret on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey why not? get Levi quarterback as a rookie backup, but not before a good TE

8. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Jason –

If Gandy leaves, I believe that’s the first plan of action.

9. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Adrian –

You’d think you’d know your own teammate. That’s a picture from this year’s Seattle home game. But it’s nice to see you are reading my stuff.

10. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Ottis –

As I mentioned, I think we will see Levi tried at LT.

11. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Derek –

Patrick Willis.

12. By Brandon on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Patrick Willis haha love the humor today! I wouldn’t mind seeing Levi move to Lt . Despite being a probowl backup Levi didnt have that great a year over at right tackle. Perhaps moving him back over there would help his confidence

13. By Bobf on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

I would be an interesting team if we were able to pick up Antonio Cromartie and QB LB. I don’t suppose the two Adrian Petersons are looking to move. (I guess maybe Chicago’s is)

14. By TucsonTim on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

A lot of people think our Levi is a bust, then all of the sudden he is a pro bowl back up. I think a lot of Cardinals fans are going to be shocked when they see how much better our Levi is when we have a running game in our game plan and a mobile QB. Our offense is going to be explosive next year; I’m just waiting for the defense to catch up.

15. By Chris Waldrop on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

About the quarterback situation…would the team be interested in a QB like Armanti Edwards, who would be capable of running a wildcat offense?

16. By Eric on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Pike, LeFevour, or no one. I’d rather have a veteran and Tyler Palko than waste a draft pick.

17. By darrenurban on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

I don’t think he’d fit what they do, to be honest.

18. By Mike Walburg on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren what about the Cardinals drafting Jarrett Brown in the 3rd or 4th round?

19. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Is St.Pierre going to be BACK or not? Is it problems with his spine? Will Whiz look at a batch of FA QBs or perhaps draft someone coming up the pike?

20. By Shannon Robinson on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Levi is a great kid – but why stop with Levi Brown at QB and left tackle? If we drafted Brandon Graham the Cards could have an all Michigan front three and then take Walter McFadden and we’d have the McFadden brothers at both cornerbacks. That’s someone’s nightmare. Levi Brown is actually a good choice at the fifth round where we can move from defense to get a good QB prospect. My other pick would be another Pittsburgh connection – Daryll Clark from Penn State who has an NFL arm and a high release like Sonny J used to throw. Max Hall is another quality QB out of our own backyard – he can be signed as an undrafted free agent most likely. Am I the only Cards fan who has good memories of Josh McCowan?

21. By darrenurban on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Mike –

Anything is possible deeper in the draft.

22. By darrenurban on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

They want to bring him back I think, but you are right, he has to be healthy.

23. By crdnl86 on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

darren.I hope they do move Levi back to LT.I have been crying for that ever since he was put into the RT position.

24. By Brian R. on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

That would be cool. We have a O-lineman named Reggie Wells, we have a running back named Beanie Wells. Picking up Levi the QB would be very interesting, especially if he started. Would be 2 Wells and 2 Browns. O.O

25. By fitz 4 mt rushmore on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

I like Levi Brown (QB) as a prospect & would like to see the Cards draft him instead of using a middle rounder on a QB

26. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Holy cow, that post from Adrian Wilson was actually THE Adrian Wilson??? How cool is that! Adrian, if you’re still reading, just wanted to say that you are one of the truly great Cardinal players during my time as a fan of the team ( about 35 years, at this point ). The league definitely needs more players like you – on and off the field. Thanks for being dedicated Cardinal.

27. By darrenurban on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Scott –

I can’t be sure. But there was evidence I was able to see as moderator that made me think it was Adrian. And Adrian has made it clear in the past he peruses my work from time to time. UPDATE: Never mind. I am sure now. Saw Adrian in the parking lot Monday. Yep, it was him.

28. By jordan on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

why are we getting rid of dansby? we’re talking about the same karlos dansby who made one of the biggest plays in the cards playoffs, right?
    pay him some more money or something. he’s a beast.

29. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Jordan –

Well, as soon as you have the $30 million for him, you know, since that cash is no big deal to you, bring it on down to Tempe.

The Cards aren’t getting rid of Dansby. He is leaving for a huge free agent contract. There is a significant difference there.

30. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren – Thanks for clarifying the situation for Jordan, who clearly has not been paying attention. Heck, I would love to see Karlos here for many years to come but not at the price he seems to want. Karlos has made it clear that he basically just wants to get paid, period. I don’t think he cares where he goes. Part of me hopes he ends up in an NFL hell-hole like Oakland or Detroit. Maybe then he’ll appreciate how good it was to be with a good team, a good organization, and to play in a first class stadium filled to the rafters with great fans. I can’t help drawing a comparison between Dansby and Jamir Miller some years back. Just when he was truly peaking as a great player, he priced himself right out of town, went to Cleveland for a huge payday, and was never really heard from again. AND the Cardinals were nowhere near then what they are now. Darren, any thoughts on the Dansby to Miller comparison?

31. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Scott –

Honestly, and I could be wrong, but the difference is I think Dansby will indeed find the payday he has been waiting for. Obviously, it didn’t quite work that way for Jamir.

32. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Aside from the date of the photo, I believe Leonard Davis’s facemask had one of those U-shaped pieces of bar hanging down from the top center of the mask (think Larry Csonka). Levi’s facemask is similar, but w/o the “U” (as pictured above).

Leonard Davis only wore the Cardinal’s new uniform for one year (in 2006).

I don’t think the Cardinals used the red pants with red jersey combo during any home game during the uniform’s debut year of 2006 (but I’m not certain of that. Checking NFL.com game highlights from 2006, I didn’t see any home games with white pants).

Leonard left for Dallas in 2007 when Whiz arrived (same year Levi was drafted).

33. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Ottis (and Adrian :) ) –

I promise that’s Levi Brown. Look at his face.

34. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Oh, I believe you. Just playing detective and trying to provide visual evidence that cannot be refuted. Too much CSI I guess…

The nail in the coffin for Adrian is that the Seahawk in the photo is Patrick Kerney (#97). Kerney didn’t join the Seattle until the 2007 – the same year Leonard Davis joined Dallas. So, Kerney and Davis could have never played against each other in the those uniforms. That leaves Levi Brown as the only Card’s player with jersey #75 to play against Patrick Kerney as a Seahawk since Davis left the Cards.

35. By smoothcard_ga on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

I really like what I’ve seen from Jarrett Brown and Lefevor (at least in the workouts and drills. I wonder how their interviews and board work are. Armanti Edwards could be a good QB with proper development too IMO.

36. By Scott H on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

I am SOOOO impressed by the details that people have been picking up on in that one picture!!! Awesome observations. Cardinal fans rule!!!