Clearing up what the combine Cards said

Posted by Darren Urban on February 27, 2010 – 11:24 am

OK, here’s what wasn’t said today by the Cards at the Scouting combine, when Ken Whisenhunt and Rod Graves spoke to the media:

– The team wants Chad Pennington (Graves said Pennington, if he becomes a free agent, will be among the quarterbacks the Cards look at).

– The team is going to trade Anquan Boldin (Graves said, as he has said over and over and over, the team will consider all options — including a trade — with Boldin.

– That the fact Boldin could be traded is suddenly breaking news (It’s not, so keep that in mind in your comments).

Here’s what was said:

– The team wants to keep S Antrel Rolle, who needs a new contract before next week. Even if the Cards do cut him, they plan to fight to bring him back. They want to keep LB Karlos Dansby too, but the money is probably too huge in that case.

– Levi Brown can make the move to LT easily, Whisenhunt thinks, although Whiz added the team would very much like to keep UFA Mike Gandy. Gandy is going to have to re-sign at the right price, methinks.

– If Boldin were to be dealt, Graves said “I’d be remiss if I say it’d be easy to replace a player of that caliber.”

– Someone asked Whisenhunt if Matt Leinart “was his guy,” and Whisenhunt acknowledged Leinart is the only QB on the roster right now, so it was kind of obvious. As for competition for Leinart once the Cards do add QBs, “everybody on our team knows they have to play well to keep their position.”

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Clearing up what the combine Cards said”

1. By Gags on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Chad Pennington? Damn… We need someone with a decent arm. Was Joey Porter mentioned at all?

2. By darrenurban on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Gags —

No, Joey Porter did not come up.

3. By gordo on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

CHAD IS PERFECT IVE WANTED HIM SINCE I FIRST HEARD ABOUT KURT LEAVIN. HE HAS 1 GOOD YEAR LEFT IN HIM, HE HAS LEADERSHIP AND MANAGES THE BALL GOOD.. OH AND DOESNT TURNOVER THE BALL VERY OFTEN.. IF BOLDIN LEAVES THAT WOULD BE GOOD FOR FITZ .. I THINK THIS YEAR WE WILL SHOCK THE NFL AND THE WORLD.. THE WHIZ WILL PREVAIL..

4. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey, they obviously know more than I do, but I really can’t believe Chad Pennington is one of the guys they want to consider for back-up QB. I’ll say it again, I don’t see where his skills are right for this offense. Yeah, with the backfield tandem of Wells and Hightower, the Cardinals should be running the ball more. But with these WR’s, this offense still needs to continue to take big shots down the field and that is NOT Pennington’s game. Sigh…I don’t even think I have the slightest inkling as to how badly I am going to miss Kurt Warner!

5. By Alberto on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Hello Darren,
    when is the NFL gonna award the compensatory draft picks? And I understand that the formula used is complex, but the Cards lost Antonio Smith to free agency last year.Any chance of getting an extra 3rd or 4th round pick? thank you

6. By Dave on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Which is it Darren?
    Does the team WANT Chad Pennington? or is he just one of the guys they want to LOOK at?

If they wanted to look at Culpepper (yuck) it gives the impression you could have started that paragraph as easily by saying the Cards wanted Culpepper.

7. By Feather on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

What of linebackers, inside and out. Any prospective canidates? Is there a bigger need for a developing qb or a pass rusher and run stopper??

8. By Devin on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

I’ll join in the drum beating of so many other readers of this blog in saying we should chase Dunta Robinson. I was disappointed with mcfadden’s play last year and don’t think that Toler is ready to step in. I do want Rolle back, but the addition of Robinson could mask the impact of Rolle’s possible departure. I hope the Dansby situation is closed sooner than later so that we can move ahead with free agent moves of our own, allowing us to prepare for the draft with more focus.

Darren – any other teams than the Ravens and Dolphins that you’re hearing about as suitors for Boldin?

9. By John on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

what about michael vick or mcnabb..we need to get one of those guys to have a chance in even making the playoffs next year. pennington is not worth the trade value of boldin because of all his injuries. worst possible scenario the cards should have is leinart being the best qb on the roster. which isnt that bad, but we definetly will not make the playoffs with him behind center. I think overall, the best option is going after Vick.

Im still hoping warner will pull a favre on us and come back..fingers crossed.

10. By darrenurban on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Alberto —

Those are announced at the March owners meetings.

11. By darrenurban on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Dave —

I don’t know if there is any one guy they absolutely want among the vets. First of all, Pennington is coming off a shoulder injury, so I guarantee they only want to look until they can do a physical on the guy. And if you read the blog, my point was what wasn’t said. They didn’t say they wanted him. They said they’d look at all the available QBs.

12. By darrenurban on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Feather —

The bigger need is on defense — and I will be writing that story in a bit.

13. By darrenurban on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Devin —

All “suitors” of Boldin are pure speculation right now. I don’t think there have been any discussions of note.

14. By darrenurban on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

John —

Warner isn’t coming back. And, while I can’t believe I have to address it again, McNabb and Vick are not coming.

15. By Dan Crowell on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I just saw where Yahoo sports is selling stickers which are supposed to look like a tatoo. I have had a real cards tatoo for about seven years, way back when they stunk! I’ll tell you what, that took some courage to sport my tatoo back then. I would think now, since we are THE TEAM OF THE WEST, that the real fans should get the real deal instead of the sticker. Oh, bye the way, I have lived on the east coast for the last twenty five years and have to purchase the NFL ticket every year just to watch them. It’s well worth the money! Please pass this on to Whizz and Graves, please, please, please, sign Joey Porter! We need him to take Karlos’s place. Contrary to what some people think, he is not going to be resigned. Thanks Darren, you do a GREAT job!

16. By Eazy E on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

I don’t want chad pennington, I repeat I don’t want chad pennington!!!!!! What about culpepper, derek anderson(he’ll get released most likely because he has a big roster bonus due at about 7 million dollars), etc. We don’t need to trade quan either with leinart at qb because he’s already proven, he’s struggled mightily with him, he needs all the weapons he can get. We also need to keep rolle and go on and pay the 12.1 million dollar salary if we can’t hammer out a long-term deal, graves got us in this messy situation with rolle. We need to move on from dansby too, he’s a very good football player but he wants wayyyy more than he’s worth, he’s worth around 7-8 million per year,he aint going to change his price tag. Let’s instead put that money on peppers and dunta robinson. Gandy will come back if he’ll take less because he’ll probably be a backup or fighting for a job. I trust in whiz.

17. By Secret on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Ok all of you pennington haters, the only reason you hate him is because he doesn’t have much of an arm. If you think that was a problem, he would be playing in the NFL?! No, he is perfect for our offense because the cards are a catch and run passing game. The only reason you think chad’s lack of arm strength is bad is because you are thinking back to the 2008 playoff run with fitz catching it high and deep. That did not happen much at all this past season, which is why i think an accurate QB is all we need.

18. By Joe Montana on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren what do you think about the Cardinals drafting a safety and switching antrel rolle back to a corner to replace mcfadden? And maybe trading boldin for some draft picks because we already have great receivers.

19. By Phad Cennington on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Kurt Warner was the second most accurate quarterback ever behind chad pennington. i would be happy having chad pennington on the cardinals. in miami he had no one to throw to and he still looked pretty solid as a quarterback. in arizona he could be a superbowl winning quarterback. lol anything is possible.

20. By Steve on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

First, I am a believer in MATT LEINART and have the faith that he will do well for us. Let’s not forget his rookie year as a started for Denny Green picking apart the Bears defense on MNF. I believe he was the starter when the Cards hosted the Steelers in week 4 of the 2007 season, which the Cards won. And he moved the offense well against the Titans this season. He has matured and deserves his chance to start, and he knows the system. I feel if he gets to start week-in and week-out and practices with the first team offense he will be just fine. I know he isn’t KURT WARNER, and this will be a tough act to follow for Leinart. Not many QBs are as accurate with their passes as Warner was. My only worry about him is the upper body injuries he seems prone to. I do think the Cards will bring in CHARLIE BATCH, who I know is fragile, but has been a good back-up QB when healthy, and I am OK with this simply for the fact that coach Whiz knows him and Batch knows the system, and we may need a veteran QB if Leinart would be out for only a game or two to injury. However, I would also like to not only draft a QB at some point in this years draft, but I really hope they take a look at CHRIS REDMAN from the Falcons, whom I believe is a free agent. He played in 5 games this year with a 78.4 QB rating, 4 TD, 3 INT, threw for 781 yds. In 2007, he played in 7 games with a 90.4 QB rating, 10 TD, 5 INT, threw for 1079 yds. I like him as an option if say Leinart were injured for a more extended period of time and just maybe with all the weapons at his disposal he could thrive here. We all know what PENNINGTON (gets you to the playoffs and 1 and done), ANDERSON (if avail-one good season-contract year), CULPEPPER (past his heyday), McNABB (up and down, playoff choker/nervous the whole Super Bowl), VICK (drop back, survey the field, take off and run, just go to the CFL), BULGER (interceptions galore), GARCIA (too old and wants to be the man).

21. By CardsRep928 on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

All we need to address on offense is trading boldin for matt light…Our O line needs swagger…on defense larry foote and joey porter would fill the voids very nicely…not too mention joey would bring a much needed swagger to our LB corps…Screw some veteran backup leinart will be just fine…ENTER THE ERA OF CARDINALS SMASHMOUTH PEOPLE!!!

22. By darrenurban on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Joe —

I think the coaches were convinced in 2007 that Rolle is better suited for safety than corner.

23. By Gags on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Dont forget Joe, that Greg Toler played pretty darn well in the Saints game. It’s gonna be him and McFadden in a battle for the #2 spot opposite Rodgers-Cromartie.

24. By Tbru on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

not a Pennington fan at all. Maybe that will change if he is wearing red. I think we have to bring in a veteran back up absolutely, and I think they have to draft someone at QB. But I am hoping #7 makes the grade and stays healthy. Matty is still our best option.

25. By alex u on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

finally some good news?

26. By thereisonly1 on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

all i can say is that i cant wait to see our running game bust out the gates!

27. By cards62 on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

I want to see Leinart succeed and our other qbs not be an issue for several years, but that said I hope we either get Marc Bulger or Chad Pennington this off season for inusrance.

Toller did play well in the Saints game, but it was out of hand and we need to see way more from him to be a starter. My wish is for Toller to be our nickle or dime next season. Robinson or Rodgers from Washington I will be very happy to see wearing Cardinal Red next season.

28. By Scott H on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

darren – ready for the craziest idea you’ve heard so far in regard to QB options? OK – what is Jake Plummer up to these days? I can’t believe he has just fallen off the edge of the earth the way he has. It’s not like he’s over the hill or so shot up from injuries that he had nothing left, ya know? Hey, he came into the league at the same time as McNabb and he’s still going strong…see where I’m going with this? Assuming the Snake isn’t still under contract with another team ( why are the Buccaneers coming to mind? ), why has he not had another shot in the NFL? And how cool would it be to see him come out of the shadows and have some late-career glory in the place where his NFL career started??? Hey, as far as I’m concerned, bringing Plummer into the discussion is no less crazy than bringing Michael Vick or Charlie Batch into it. Darren, even if the idea of Plummer is idiotic, can you tell me anything about where he’s been and what he’s been up to?

29. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Something like this.

30. By Scott H on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Well…alright then! Funny but right after I sent you this question, I saw that FOX blurp about Plummer being so into the handball thing these days. Whatever. I’ll bet he can still play, though. Wouldn’t be surprised if the years away from football and the maturity he’s achieved might make him a better QB now than he ever was before. In an offense like this one, surrounded by weapons where he didn’t have to do it all himself…he could hardly ask for better situation. But he sounds like he is long gone from football. Kind of a shame if ya ask me.