The talk of trading Q

Posted by Darren Urban on February 27, 2010 – 10:28 pm

The equation makes sense: One Pro Bowl wide receiver disgruntled with his contract + one lingering drama + one year left on his contract + one media contingent at the Scouting combine desperately looking for “buzz” = Anquan Boldin is available in trade!!!!!!

The bottom line is nothing that happened today is new news. A couple places across the Internet have presented the idea that the Cardinals will take calls from other teams in regard to dealing Boldin is something different than it has been. The Cardinals took calls about Boldin last year before the draft and made it clear last week that the same would happen this offseason.

It’s simple. Three things can happen with Boldin:

1) He signs a contract extension.

2) He plays out his contract in 2010 and is scheduled to become a free agent next offseason.

3) He is traded.

The contract extension seems incredibly unlikely. That’s reality right now, and I think the feeling is probably mutual on both sides. That leaves the other two possibilities. General manager Rod Graves said Saturday, “I’d be remiss if I said you could easily replace a player of his caliber,” and he’s obviously right. And if the Cards kept him for a final season, he’s an affordable piece.

But the business of the NFL is about so much more than that. A team is a constantly evolving entity. If the Cards aren’t going to end up extending Boldin (and, in theory, they could use the franchise tag next season if they really wanted to keep Q and he wasn’t willing to sign another deal), getting something for him is an attractive option. But as Graves keeps repeating, whatever the option the Cards choose, it will be in the best interests of the team. Will that kick into overdrive the trade discussion that started last season? Maybe it does. Maybe it means the Cards don’t necessarily want/need a first-round pick for him.

Again, none of this is new. Maybe the chances of Boldin finally being dealt have increased, but really, is that anything — given the events of the past couple of years with Anquan — anyone wasn’t expecting?

Tags: , ,

64 Responses to “The talk of trading Q”

1. By Chad on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

This whole situation has gotten way out of hand. I hate the fact that Q is being painted as a bad guy because he wants to be fairly compensated and the team is so willing to part with him.

Did or did not Rod Graves promise Q a new contract 3 years ago? And what have the two parties done since then? Q has played like he always plays and ended up literally breaking his face for his team. All he’s asked is to be fairly compensated and for the organization to honor their promise made to him. What has the organization done?

I’m loving the direction of the Cardinals and I’m very grateful they locked up Whisenhunt til 2013. But if Q gets tossed to the wolves I will have some serious questions. How can they publicly tell everyone they will work something out and still have done nothing?

I’m wondering how much this has to do with the ridiculous rookie contract they gave Fitz and when he his all those escalators they were forced to renegotiate him, edging out money maybe for Q. I don’t blame Fitz, I blame whoever gave him that rookie contract. How come no one complained when the Ftiz extension negotiations held the team hostage for most of free agency yet get all over Q when he just wants the organization to be true to their word.

I understand I sound like a complete Q homer, but if you can read through all the lines I might have some good points.

2. By Eliot on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

It’d be sad to see Q go but it seems like we are pretty well stacked at the WR position even without him. Whatever happens, I hope the Cards see some residuals.

3. By Gags on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

I’m pretty 50-50 on this one. I like what we have at backup recievers in Breaston and Doucet, but then again those two are’nt really guys that can take over games like Q can. In this situation, I kinda want Bryant Johnson(remember him?) back playing the two. Breaston seems perfect in the slot and Johnson is a better blocker overall than Breaston.

4. By vivek on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I sometimes wonder why this issue of ‘contracts’ is so much of a concern to the Cards front office ? Are the owners facing some financial crunch..? I mean, it is so difficult to get top notch players like Q. People like Whiz, Warner and Larry wouldn’t say emphasize it without reason, but yet the management continues to inexplicably drag its feet…

5. By mark on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I think Anquan Boldin is a great player that should get an extension like Adrian Wilson. I understand that football is a business and that sometimes those things dont happen. The fact that Doucet stepped up in Anquan absense make him more expendable. As a fan I see that maybe because Kurt Warner retires and all the other players they lose the cards regress to an 8 and 8 team, or less as if they were playing at sun devil staduim agaim .However the cards have the offense in place to make a run like Ftiz, Wells, Hightower, Breaston, BOLDIN and Doucet to compete, which would make for a exciting season. I see Whiz and Graves trading boldin to improve the defense and trying to contend. As a season ticket holder for several years losing Boldin would suck. I do have confidence in Whiz and Graves to make the right decision.

6. By dylan on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

i like him but whats the cardinals record with out him like 8-2 or something and i think doucet really stepped up and showed he can deff replace boldin so i say trade him for a really needed linebacker or some defensive player

what do you think Darren

7. By Brandon on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Anquan for a 2nd round pick and a decent Lb/ De

8. By Greg on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I hope this ends amicably for both Q and the Cardinals. He has meant so much to the team and it’s fans (my family all own 81 jerseys). Unfortunately, the thing that I will always wonder about Q is what would the last few seasons have been like if he had not refused to participate in the off-season programs. Would he have avoided some of the many leg injuries and missed games? We’ll never know.

9. By rich on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

First of all, i grew up rooting for these underdogs.
    i remember when we drafted a DE, WR combo that 1st round in front of him.

then, this second round reciever throws down over 200 yards recieving in his first reg season game.
    only cardinal, only rookie to make the probowl that year. I was excited to watch us again.

He was the first piece towards being a superbowl contender.
    Whatever happens, it’s important that we remember what he did for us.

10. By John on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

If Kurt was going one more year, bringing Boldin back would make sense.
    But Matt brings change and with that, it is time to move a fan favorite.
    Now, T.O. is a free agent and Brandon Marshall is rumored to be available for trade, so this will effect Boldin’s value. But if the cards wait till the draft gets closer, they will be able to deal Boldin.
    What’s his value ? To each team , it will be different. I think to the Jets and Ravens , he could bring in a one. With the Dolphins, Chargers, Tampa, Panthers, and a few others, he could bring in a 2 and 4.
    Brandon Lafell from LSU is simular to Boldin and a team like Tampa would draft him over trading for Boldin.
    The Jets are only missing a playmaker at WR. I still think they make the deal. The Jets will give up a one, but Marshall will be first choice.
    BTW, Darren, any buzz about a TE or OL the cards like after yesterday

11. By Neil302 on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

With the cards making good WR better why not trade him straight up for Terell Owens? He still has a lot of game left in him?

12. By Bryan R on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

This is the discouraging thing about pro football. The reward you get for having a couple of great draft classes: by the time they become serious playoff contenders you can only afford to keep half the players around so free agency comes calling and you’re back to the drawing board. Crap!! You should be rewarded for this drafting success, not penalized. Keep your own. Besides Kurt Warner and Bertrand Berry, who has made the probowl in the last decade. No free agents. But all of these guys have= Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Darnell Dockett, Karlos Dansby, Antrel Rolle, Adrian Wilson. Thats the prize isn’t it? Good Job Cards for what is was worth. I’ll be saying this same thing in a year or two or three about Matt Leinart, Chris Wells, Early Doucet, Calais Campbell, DRC. Looking forward to it!!

13. By moe on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

i think that if boldin is traded it should be for a defensive specialist we need D breaston and earl have showed they can step up we need another cb but i think toler is raw but is another drc rolle is whacck yea he has 7 int touch downs when it really counts where is he at got beat in tenn when leinart had a pretty good game and titans scored of him getting beat by a rook and what about super bowl to so bring in someone that wants to win need a d tackle d end and a cb and free saftey that wants to play and not bitch about money the qb scenario would be wise to bring vick veteran for one dual threat with and emerging running attack and a heavy but great receiving corps it would be ideal if vick cant find an open receiver which i doubt that would happen often he can scramble and make the plays we know he can make he would force teams to play with 8 in the box and if they double fitz they would be 1 0n 1 with breaston and ducet and cant forget hightower out the back field well just dreaming but it would be WISE

14. By Peter in Canada on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren- Your point about the team being a constantly evolving entity is an excellent one. The fans wanting Dockett, Dansby and Boldin re-signed at any price don’t seem to understand that by doing so weakens the entity in other areas. One has to trust management, now given long term contracts, to do the right thing and if they don’t, be held accountable. I personally feel they have shown they are more than competent and will do what is best for the club.

15. By thereisonly1 on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

buh bye.

16. By pjdylan on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Early and Steve are gonna have to step up! And they already have for the most part.

17. By johnnybluenose on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

unless we can get a mid-range first round pick, and we probably can’t, then i say we keep boldin and get one more good year from him. then thank him and move on.

18. By CardsRep928 on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Let him walk he cant stay healthy anymore

19. By Big Red on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I say sign ANQUAN, who else is better than the Q. People keep saying that his old, Heck! he’s been in the league only one year more then Fitz. So, by next year at this same time Fitz will also be old. I know his injury prone, but he plays his heart out for all you fans. I don’t know if all you fans have notice that by the time Q gets injured his leading in yardage and receiving with the team. I say pay the man. After all his adversity he still bounces back and plays his heart out for this organization. The man is just as tough as nails. BRING HIM BACK!!!!

20. By chem dawg on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

do you think if there is no extension and he is not traded boldin will try to sit out ? or play his last year out and become a free agent ?
    would losing boldin for a draft pick really be worth it ?

21. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Vivek –

I am curious to know what you mean by “drag its feet?” Teams across the league make difficult decisions to eventually part with star players as they evolve (and that might not even happen with Boldin this season). You hear players say all the time “this is a business.” There is a reason for that. The same “business” that puts Boldin in this spot is the one that allows Karlos Dansby to decline a new deal and seek the biggest contract. It’s about timing as much as production and value to the fan base. It’s a pro sports reality.

22. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Dylan –

I think I can see both sides of this equation. No one has been a bigger fan of Anquan since he arrived in the league; as a beat guy, he was someone you couldn’t help but root for, especially in the lean years. That said, players get older, teams change, and no unit stays together forever. Boldin has been upset for a long time because of his situation and I don’t know if that is changing. I’m not sold he even wants to play out his career in Arizona anymore. He promised to be professional before 2009 and that’s exactly what he was, but I’m not sure that changed the fundamental issues at work here.

23. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Rich –

“Whatever happens, it’s important that we remember what he did for us.”

I could not agree more.

24. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

John –

No buzz in that regard. Not yet.

25. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Neil302 –

First, T.O. is a free agent. Second, I would take Anquan — even in his grumpy state with the franchise — 100 percent of the time over Owens, especially since I think T.O. is just about out of gas at age 36.

26. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Bryan R –

That’s the nature of the NFL and why it is so popular. Because teams have to cycle and no team, in theory, should be down for an extended period of time. But there is a downside, and that’s why, IMO, it’s good Whiz is around. He watched the Steelers cycle through players yet stay competitive. That’s what the Cards want to do.

27. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Chem –

No, Q won’t sit out. He might skip offseason stuff, but he’s too much of a pro to skip more than that. Plus, that kind of move only damages his reputation in the league right before a possible free agent year.

As for a draft pick, it depends on what the pick is.

28. By Dan on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Why pay a guy who never plays a full season? Why pay a guy who looks like he’s on the down side of his career? Trade him straight up for a solid pass rusher or a couple draft picks.

29. By nor cal cards fan on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Did the front office break their word to Q or not? It’s a pretty simple question that Rod refuses to answer.

30. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Nor Cal –

In the end, it’s a moot point though, isn’t it, unless a fan is looking to assign blame to the situation. But it wouldn’t change anything.

31. By dylan on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

darren-
    i think we have a pretty solid wide out core with out boldin. do you think we should just trade him for a solid pass rusher or maybe a DB?

32. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Dylan –

I’d expect the Cards to look for a draft pick or two if they trade Anquan.

33. By Eazy E on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think there’s a bigger Q fan than me. He is an awesome wr. great leader and all. Leinart, as i said in a previous post, needs all the weapons he can get. If leinart ends up starting opening day, for the first few games, teams will stack the box to stop beanie and hightower, they’ll have 8 and 9 in the box and force leinart to beat them. If Q does get traded, which i really hope doesn’t happen, we need to get significant compensation, such as a 3 and a player, or a 2 and a 4, or a 1. We don’t need to take a low ball deal just because we got breaston and doucet. Darren, TO isn’t out of gas. Just because he’s 36, doesn’t mean he’s done. Did you see buffalo last season? QB play was horrible, trent edwards suck, they call him ”captain checkdown” because he checks down wayyyy too much. Fitzpatrick is a decent backup qb, but not a starter. Their O-Line was porous also. TO can still put up big numbers even at 36. He’s still fast, physical, and he may drop a couple, but he’ll make up for it.

34. By Big Red on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey, Chad I’m 100% with you on that one, about the way the organization has treated ANQUAN. HIS THE BEST RECEIVER WE HAVE AND THATS INCLUDING #11.

35. By SeeingRed on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Totally agree with Chad.

36. By RodgersCromartie on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

This is kind of off subject but its still a big topic right now, but if the Cards really need to improve the defense, then how come the first thing they did was release Rolle? I find this kind of funny, they want the defense to improve but they wont pay Rolle, one of our start defenders 12 Million

37. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Eazy –

N-o to T.O. Period.

Owens did not put up decent numbers. He is horrible in the locker room. Besides, I guarantee you the coaching staff will take Breaston as a No. 2 over Owens every day of the week. Even if you trade Boldin, this team has no use for Owens.

38. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Rodgers –

So you’d just pay Rolle $12 M — for just one season, mind you — and then let him be a free agent at the end of the season?

Maybe I am getting testy because of all the Rolle/Dansby/Q talk of the last few days but please, please, please everyone needs to put in some rational thought to the arguments before making them. This isn’t about the Cards being cheap. No team will be willing to pay Rolle $12 M a season. No team. And he doesn’t want to sign an extension right now because he wants to see exactly what teams will be willing to give him. In Rolle’s case — and I think Antrel is a solid safety — you think he is a star? You think he’s worth double what Wilson is worth? Really? Let me know how that goes over in the locker room.

It’s never quite as black-and-white as some want to think this time of year.

39. By dylan on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

yeah im with darren rolle is not worth more then wilson and wilson is that much better then rolle so let him go and pick someone up that will play hard and make those tackles

40. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Dylan –

Everyone needs to remember Rolle, even if released (which will probably happen), can still return. This isn’t like Dansby where I think it’s a lock he is gone.

41. By dylan on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Rolle is a very good player but all of us watched him miss dozens of tackles last year that hurt the cards more then anything. if rolle wants to come back then he needs to take a pay cut or go find some were else to play

42. By Big Red on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I’m with on that bozo owens. There is no way he would be welcome here in AZ. How dare even to be compare with ANQUAN.

43. By Scott Hornberger on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

In my perfect world, Q would be a Cardinal forever. While I didn’t like the fact that he chose to leave the building while his teammates were celebrating an NFC title in 2008, I love everything else about this guy – on and off the field. But his departure seems inevitable. With what they are paying Fitzgerald ( and lord knows he deserves every penny of it! ), the Cards cannot give Q a similar deal. There’s no way they can put so much money into two players at the same position. Not if they want to be able to pay some guys at other positions, anyway. And with Breaston and Doucet in place, it makes even less sense that the Cards are going to extend Q’s contract. While logic says that the best thing for the team is to make a trade now that makes us batter somewhere else, my heart says that I would love to see Boldin play for the Cardinals one more time before he moves on.

44. By John on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

A couple of thoughts;
    When Owens was released last year by Dallas, Not many teams lined up for him. Believe me, not many WRs choose Buffalo. But, if the Ravens are desperate, they could sign him, taking them out of the running for a Boldin Trade. Other than that, Owens shouldn’t be in the same sentance as Cardinals.
    Next, Rolle was a huge disappointment up till this year. He shouldn’t be paid as one of the top 5 FS’s let alone 12 million. FS is a spot , if you draft correctly, a rookie can step in. Look at Jarius Byrd ( a second round corner converted to safety who puts up 10 picks).
    The Cards aren’t cheap, look at Whiz’s deal. Its just good business.
    So Card Fans;
    Would you rather sign Boldin and Rolle and Dansby to huge deals(like they want)and use up that future salary cap(when deal is done) or
    Trade Boldin and let the other 2 walk. Draft studs like Brandon Graham (great passrusher) Sean Wetherspoon(outstanding LB) and Nate Allen (a true Free Safety)with 1st and second round picks, sign Joey Porter,(if deal is right) Resign Dockett and give Breaston a long term deal next year. Not to mention , if DRC has another probowl year, don’t think he wont ask to be paid.

So, which one do you all want? You cant sign everyone. Good teams anticipate the end of contracts and draft accordingly.Look at Mcfadden deal.2 years-just long enough to get Toler(or a draft pick this year) ready. If Rashad Johnson was a stud and ready to take over like Cambell was with A. Smith, would anyone be begging for Rolle to come back and saying the Cards are cheap? If Cody Brown would have been the passrusher he should have been (injury put him back), the Cards would be comfortable at OLB and 1st round would be Dansbys replacement. The Cards did the same moves as the Steelers and Patriots have done for years, Brown and Johnson just turned out to be question marks. Where Cambell and Toler were answers.

Now Darren, I watched the senior bowl replay and started loving QB Zac Robinson Oklahoma St.. This is a guy who will be there between 4-6 rounds and would be a great pick for the Cards. What did you think of him today at the combine? Good Athlete, solid arm. could be a diamond in the ruff?

45. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I’m thinking the Cards let him play out the season,become a FA, allowing him to explore the dubious market,then re-sign Anquan to a incentive-laden contract. After seeing AZ is his best offer, I’m sure he’ll see being a second banana isn’t so bad. Look at Ed McMahon to Johnny Carson, Glen Frey to Don Henley or Somers to Urban.

46. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

John –

Honestly, I have no idea. When we start talking rounds 4, 5, 6, it’s a crapshoot.

47. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

Ouch.

48. By Eazy E on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren, i wasn’t petitioning TO to Arizona, i was just sayin TO can still get it done. I hope we keep anquan with fitz for years to come. But if he does get traded, I have seen enough of breaston and doucet that they can get it done too.

AndyStandsUp-

I don’t know why fans like you keep disrespecting Anquan. Anquan is just as good as Fitz, and i love fitz but they both #1′s. I would pay him like fitz too, they both put up all-pro numbers every year. I think if anquan gets traded, he’ll show everybody how good he is ONCE AGAIN!!!

49. By blakew on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Whiz is a team orientated coach and T.O. is only interested in himself and besides we don’t need him here calling out Matt just because he is not getting his quota of balls thrown to him. F*** T.O. i wouldn’t take both Brandon Marshal and T.O. for Anquan .

50. By Trisha on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

I love Q and want him to be a Cardinal for the rest of his career but can the relationship be fixed? The Cardinals didn’t fulfill their promise but instead resigned Fitz. I LOVE Fitz and think he is great but the management made it so we couldn’t afford to GREAT WR’s (Fitz & Boldin). THANKS!!! Do the Cardinals have enough money to resign him? Yes Q isn’t happy with his situation but he still went out everyday and played hard and effective. Doesn’t this deserve a contract?? I think the question now is not do the Cardinals want to keep him but does Q want to stay?? If he leaves I’ll still support him but it will not be the same without him.

51. By dave on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

You don’t find many players like Anquan. You know what you have, a great receiver who works hard, is a leader, who has a passion for the game, who played hard when they were awful, a person tht plays through injury, a player that makes our receiving core the best in the NFL. AT 30 he has a long ways to go with his work ethic and his ablity to keep himnself in shape. He can catch anything which is a proven. Kurt Warner was told when he first arrived you don’t have to have them open just put it up high and they will catch everyting (speakin of Boldin and Fitzgerald. He has been the heart of the team when times were bad and good and he has a passion for the game hich is very unusual thsse days. Keep him we are better with him and he is loved by the fans. He brings a lot of intangibles.

52. By John on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

I love Boldin and think he has alot left also But here are the facts
    1. This is a business and you must make good business decisions
    2.We have shown we can win without Boldin.
    3. Doucet was drafted to replace Boldin eventually.
    4. His trade will allow the Cards more draft picks to improve a pitiful defense.
    5. trading him frees up money (assuming he received a new contract) allowing the cards to resign and sign others.
    Boldin wanted Fitz money, even at a discounted rate of 7million a year and the fact Breaston is a RFA and needs a long term deal, How much money do you want to give to your WR’s ?
    Everyone needs to get over it. It makes sense to move Boldin.

53. By Dick Buroker on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Please Cardinals do what it takes to have Q with the Cardinals his whole career.

54. By Mike"Pay Q" on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

John, Please post the video link to where ANQUAN said he wanted “FITZ MONEY”. HE NEVER HAS SAID that. Yes this is a business, however you need to reward excellence. I love how everyone keeps using the same stupid arguement about “OUR RECORD without Q is…” I would like for ONCE someone to show me our record without Q, but also without Kurt Warner, you may as well say without Karlos Dansby and Antrelle Rolle and Bert Berry. It is EASY to say we won without Q, we have, but that was with a HALL OF FAME QB.

55. By John on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

OK Mike, Fitz makes 10mil., it was reported the cards were offering Q 7-8 million range 2 years ago. But lets say he takes 6 now. Breaston is a FA next year, how much do you give him? Do we really want to give 20million to our WRs ? Thats close to 20% of the cap.(when we had one) Give me a break.
    Leinart has one more year after this one, meaning he needs a new deal at the end of the year if he does well. Got to plan for that. Have you seen what good QB’s make ?
    Not to mention a guy names Dockett who is watching what Peppers and Haynesworth are getting.

With all that, fans are yelling to resign Dansby and Rolle. While we have huge holes in the passrush and NT and LT we need to address. Dont forget, while Boldin sat out yet another playoff game, the defense was torched. Out of 5 playoff games, he was out of 3 and 1/2 of them.
    Its simple math. Trade Boldin. Play the cheaper Doucet. Use the money and draft choices to improve the defense.
    All the good teams do it. Marvin Harrison, Jerry Rice, Joe montana, Emmitt Smith, ect ect. They all get replaced.

56. By jpcards on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Want Bryant Johnson back? Not me!

57. By Cody on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

I will be supper p*ssed if they get rid of Q and Rolle. My solution to the problem is to take back most of what they paid Supper Man Leinart. Somewhere around 60 Mil and they guy has held a clip board or has been injured for most of his time with the Cards.

I just hate to see how far the team has come in the last two years and that key players are now on the chopping block.

58. By Mike"Pay Q" on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

John, Nice try, but NO, IT WAS NEVER reported the Cards offered Q a contract in the 7-8 million range. Mike Jurecki (who i think knows a heck of a lot more than YOU) reported what the Cards offered was less than 5 million, meaning 25 receivers in the NFL would be paid more. I realize that we need help on D, but you also need to keep every weapon you have. If they trade Q I for one hope we get a veteran to help fill a need, rather than a #3 or #4 pick.

59. By John on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Mike, sorry I dont have my archives.We will ask Darren what money was rumored and what Boldin was wanting 2 years ago when this drama started. So how about it Darren?

Mike, I also love you guys who say get vets to fill the holes. Who? This is by far the worst free agent class because of the CBA.Dont want an extra #3 pick? Guys like A-Dub, Dockett,Hayes, are 3 starters picked in the 3rd. Boldin brings value in a trade because of the weak FA class.The Jets and Ravens are desperate for help at Wr. Lets face it, a #1 or a 2 and 4 could really help this team.
    I like Boldin. I think he is a good player. But there is only one football. Fitz will get his catches, Beanie will get his touches. I think Breaston has elevated his game. I even think Ben Patrick can make plays. Doucet is a guy who has stepped up. Bottom line, Boldin is expendable. That doesnt mean I think he is a bad player or I dont appreciate what he has done. But this is a young mans game and it doesnt make sense for the Cards to invest several years and dollars into Boldin.
    Again, do you want to invest 20% of the money into the WRs.

60. By John on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Cody,
    I get your point about Matt. But if he does well this year, he is in line to get another big deal.

61. By darrenurban on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

John (and Mike) –

In all honesty, I don’t know if there have ever been serious enough discussions/proposals from either side that you could say one side or the other underbid/overpriced/turned something down. There was an offer from the Cards a couple years ago, but it was tacking money/years on the end of the current deal rather than a new deal, which is what Boldin wanted. And, at least when Rosenhaus was Boldin’s guy, he may not have asked for “Fitz money” but it was in the ballpark. But again, I’m not sure either side was that serious, and since Boldin switched agents, the whole thing has gotten much quieter, in part because the Cards clearly are looking to get to this point (one year left) before extensions and as Boldin said as camp started in 2008, I’m not sure he’s interested in talking anymore anyway.

62. By Scott H on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Gosh, after what Leinart’s career has been to this point ( and, yes, he WAS kept on the bench by a Hall of Fame QB the past two years and I don’t hold that against him ), do people REALLY think he’s going to get a mega deal after this year even if he DOES do well??? He’s gonna have to show aa awful lot this season to make that happen!

63. By John on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Scott,
    The only reason I say that about Lienart is you dont want to franchise him and pay him Manning money. So, he has two years left on his rookie contract. If he becomes the guy we thought we had when he was drafted, what do you do? Let him play one more year(after this one) and be an unrestricted FA? Do you franchise him at the end of year 2 and pay him top 5 QB money? Or do you give him a new deal after next year? Tough choice. But I redo his contract provided he is my guy.And QB’s are never cheap. I’m sure Matt is aware of what this year means in so many ways.

64. By Scott H on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

John,
    I hear you. Yeah, it will be a tough choice, especially if he really plays well this year. And I hope he does. I’ve wanted to see Leinart do well from the beginning. I certainly didn’t mind that little detour we took with Kurt Warner but now that that’s over, I’m ready for the Matt Leinart era. I guess what I’m hoping ( perhaps foolishly ) is that if he does well, that he and his agent won’t go off the deep end and want him to be the highest paid QB in the league, ya know?