Levi leaning left

Posted by Darren Urban on February 28, 2010 – 2:42 pm

Ken Whisenhunt would like to have Mike Gandy back as his left tackle. The coach made that clear, noting Gandy’s versatility and how Gandy “fought his butt off to play for us.”

“I have great respect for Mike Gandy,” Whisenhunt said.

The problem is that Gandy is a free agent, and after playing for a $5 million salary last season, the Cardinals probably would want to sign him for less in 2010, and Gandy may not be amenable to that. If Gandy doesn’t come back — which my gut tells me won’t happen — the plan for now is to slide one of the young linemen (Brandon Keith or Herman Johnson) into the right tackle spot and move right tackle Levi Brown to the left side – where Brown played in college.

Whisenhunt said he doesn’t think the transition would be difficult for Brown, who has practiced some on the left side during his three NFL seasons as a starting right tackle. Clearly, Brown is now more comfortable on the right side given it’s where he has played as a pro. But Whisenhunt has talked to Brown about a potential change, and “I don’t think Levi really cares.”

“The only thing he cares about is running the football,” Whisenhunt said with a smile, “because he likes getting on guys and mauling them.”

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to “Levi leaning left”

1. By Gags on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren, who does Arizona feel has the “upper hand” for that RT spot, Johnson or Keith? I know neither played at all during the year(Johnson-none, Keith one snap vs. MIN)

2. By MGRG on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Do you have a list of all the cards RFAs? Can you link it if so. Thanks.

3. By Dave M on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

But, if Leinart is truely going to be the man under center, shouldn’t Levi remain on the right side?

4. By CARDSFAN1178124 on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I LIKE LEVI. DEFINITELY A BETTER RUN BLOCKER THAN PASS. SINCE LEINART IS COMING IN, PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA TO PUT HIM ON THE FRONT SIDE.

5. By CardsRep928 on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

The last quote is exactly true and why we must must must must must start utilizing our line that was built to maul not protect.

6. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Gags –

I don’t think either necessarily does right now. There’s a whole offseason, and first we have to see if Gandy leaves.

7. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Dave M –

I’ll blog about this later, but Whiz doesn’t see a big deal in the whole “blind-side” thing.

8. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

MGRG –

Go to this link here and then click on the link in the text. It’s a PDF breaking down the roster and it has all the RFAs and UFAs, at least when I did that in January.

9. By Brandon on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Were losing so many players in free agency and due to retirement. Im a long time fan but i dont know how promising next year is begining to look

10. By darrenurban on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Brandon –

Give yourself until a couple weeks into training camp before you stress.

11. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I think it’s 60-40 Gandy comes back at a reduced rate and Brown stays on the right, at least through preseason. With hopefully Bridges returning and the increased development of Keith and Johnson, the Cards won’t have to spend early picks on OL.

12. By ALarson on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I wouldn’t mind seeing what Brown can do as a LT. I sure would miss Gandy though.

13. By cards62 on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

I will not miss Gandy at all. I think we will be a better team with a new starting left tackle and center. I agree with cardsfan that Leinart is left handed so why would we want to move Levi Brown from Leinarts blind side? I say lets leave Brown alone and let him be comfortable for next season.

14. By Roy on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Brown struggles mightily at pass blocking on the right side against most teams 2nd best pass rusher. Isn’t he going to get eaten alive on the left side against their best. I know we can slide protection and run the ball more but the move doesn’t seem like the best idea to me.

15. By ace1019 on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Did anyone see the manhandling J. Bridges put on Jared Allen AND A.J. Hawk this past season when called upon? Let Gandy go, Bridges will be there ready to play!

16. By Cards Fan on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

My question is, how come the Cards went to Bridges this season when Gandy was out instead of Keith or Johnson? Then how come all of a sudden, they believe now that Keith or Johnson is the guy to start, but when it came down to it, it wasn’t them in the playoffs and it was Bridges.

17. By darrenurban on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Cards Fan –

I think the thought process is, with an entire offseason and training camp to prep one of the younger guys, they will be better prepared than they were.