Rolle decision would be Thursday

Posted by Darren Urban on February 28, 2010 – 7:05 pm

Unless Antrel Rolle bucks conventional wisdom and decides to sign an extension this week, the Cardinals are going to release him before he gets his $4 million roster bonus. That bonus is due on the first day of the new league year, which coincides with the start of free agency — in other words, 10 p.m. Arizona time Thursday night. That would mean, if Rolle stands pat as expected with his current contract, the Cards would have to act by then to let him go (And yes, the Cards could do it sooner if they feel there is an impasse, but I would doubt it).

If that happens, as general manager Rod Graves said this weekend, making an effort to bring Rolle back would remain a “top priority.” Market forces will dictate a lot in this situation, and how it impacts the Cards. Even if free agency comes first, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Rolle in Arizona again in 2010.

Tags: ,

59 Responses to “Rolle decision would be Thursday”

1. By Gags on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

“I would’nt be surprised to see Rolle in Arizona again in 2010″ That was so good to hear Darren, thanks again

2. By dylan on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

thats good i hope he comes back he is good but can also step his game up

3. By Scott H on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

However it gets done, I hope Rolle is back in Cardinal red next year. With all of the other departures on defense ( Berry, Okeafor, Dansby, who knows who else ), I just want to know that SOMEONE besides Adrian Wilson will still be here! But, seriously, I think he’s a heck of a player who is just entering his peak years, and I think he’s a keeper.

4. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I wonder if Rottenmouth will be asking for the higher paying corner position he was drafted at and if the Cards will counter with the safety spot he now plays.
    Either way, it would be a shame for Rolle to receive a higher wage than Adrian Wilson, who stayed loyal and let his hits do the talking.

5. By Brayden on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I know Antrel Rolle will make the right decision and stay.

6. By Barry on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

I hope to see him back next season he’s starting to make good adjustments to that FS spot. Make the right choice Antrel!

7. By CardsRep928 on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Agreed about wilson…Rolle’s big picks and returns dont balance the big plays he gives up on a botched tackle though folks….

8. By Eazy E on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

O boy!!! We better get rolle back or our secondary alone has two major holes:opposite DRC and at FS. Graves and the Bidwells should have had voidable contracts all along. Now we are in a huge pickle because if rolle hits the market, im sorry, but he’s gone.

9. By John on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren, your thoughts on this guy; Jermaine Phillips. He is an unrestricted FA Free Safety from Tampa in his 6th year. He missed last year with injury. But I remember a couple of years ago, this guy was a big hitter and made plays all over the field. If healthy, he could be a nice alternative. Got any info on him Cards got him on their radar?

10. By C on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

i hope rolle stays a long time

11. By alex u on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

just pay the man the bonus, and give him the extension. Darren i don’t know why you would say i wouldn’t be suprised if he is in a cards uniform for 2010. Because if a team released me because, they didn’t want to pay me a bonus, that i earned, and then they decide to target me in free agency, i wouldn’t be happy with that team and probably wouldn’t sign. Plus, if we are too cheap to pay him the bonus and give him an extension, then obviously were not going to get him in FA, because Miami and Jacksonville, arn’t cheap and they want Rolle, and Rolle wants them (to be in Florida), so to me it looks like if Graves doesn’t reach an agreement with Rolle and his agent by the 5th, then i strongly doubt he’ll be a Cardinal for 2010. Potentially a new #21 in Arizona.

12. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Why am I not surprised from either side. The Cards are too cheap to want to just keep an All-Star caliber player like Antrelle, and yea he may want to play in Az, but only if the price is right. He should be thrilled to play here. three years ago, before his turn around, he was the biggest flop. The Cards were ready to cut him. Now he wants to go see what other teams believe he is worth. My opinion is certain players are good and excel in certain systems. Antrelle Rolle isgood in this system. I really think he should really evaluate his decision instead of worrying about only the almighty dollar. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. The same goes for Dockett and Dansby as well. One former Cardinal I didn’t hear much about this past season was Antionio Smith of the Texans. In fact when we played them, I believe he was pretty much a non-factor. You would have thought he would have wanted to prove something. All I am saying is that this may be the cheapest organization in the league, but things are coming together, and it’s not a bad place to play. Hell of a coach too!!!

13. By Trisha on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

We NEED Rolle next year. Please stay!!! With a new quarterback (who I love by the way and believe in) we need a strong and effective defense. Our best chance to going to the Super Bowl is a great defense and Rolle provides that. Cards also need to keep Dansby he is our LB workhorse.

14. By Year2Remember on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

All this is making me nervous! Seems like alot of losses on the defensive side of the ball. And then the potential loss of Q! Next season seems like it’s gonna be a test for the team.

15. By chrisian on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

this really makes me upset man. what is this darren, give him a reasonable contract same for Q man thats my boy so is antrell dont let them leave us. rod graves makin me upset. im gonna try and twitter larry see what he has to s ay and if he can help keep them.

16. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

John –

No inside info. The team needs to figure out first what will happen with Rolle, then go from there.

17. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Alex –

I won’t argue that Rolle could be gone. But you are being naive to think Rolle will be angry he isn’t getting this last year of money. The contract was designed that way mostly to be a “phony” year and force a new contract. He would come back here because he has a life built here and because the Cards would be offering a good contract. Personal feelings wouldn’t have anything to do with it.

If you pay him the bonus, whose to say Rolle won’t just say “stick it” and hit free agency next year, just like what is happening now? The Cards are offering an extension, a good offer from what I know. But Rolle — smartly — wants to see if he can beat it. Fans too often want to rip the team or rip the player when it comes to contracts. They get way more emotional than those really involved.

18. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Lone-Eagle –

Again, I repeat this message: To say the team is cheap, or the player is too greedy, is a massive oversimplification of most of these situations and mostly off base.

19. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Christian –

Larry would do the same thing Rolle is doing — hit the open market and gauge his worth. The Cards, I think, are offering a reasonable contract to Rolle. If Rolle thinks he can convince a team to go way beyond that, well, wouldn’t you too?

20. By Justin Wheeler on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

There is really nothing to be that suprised about here with the Antrel Rolle contract situation. Like Darren said, the “phony” final contract year for Rolle is way too much money to be paying even a solid play-maker like Rolle.
    Antrel Rolle has had an interesting career, with the successful transition from corner to free safety, and is justified in seeing just what his worth may be on the open market. In my opinion, this is a talented young player that still has a lot of polishing to do (takling/ blown coverage) and no team will give him a much better offer than he will have here with the Cardinals.
    Some people may knock the Cardinal’s front office for being “cheap” and letting players get away, but I disagree with that belief. In the last four years we have built this team mostly through the draft and have kept the pieces that we have needed to win cosecutive NFC West titles, all while not over paying for players who don’t deserve the money, such as Antonio Smith, who clearly benifited off of having Darnell Dockett to line up next to. We as Cardinal fans should be more faithful in a front office that recently has not given us many reasons to doubt in it.

21. By Secret on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

according to espn darren, it seems rolle has been released. is this true?

22. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Secret –

They say he will be released, not that it has happened yet.

23. By Justin Wheeler on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren, First of all, let me say you’ve done a great job continuing to update Cardinal fans around the nation efficently and effectively conscerning offseason moves and rumors, I have two quick questions for you:

Do you feel that Antrel Rolle is a key impact player vital to the Card’s success, or simply a role(no pun intended) player that could potentially be replaced?

A lot of Cardinal fans I’ve talked with recently are very high on Greg Toler, saying he is the answer opposite DRC at cornerback. In your opinion, what role do you see Toler in after the 2010 preseason? Obviosly this is all speculation, but I would think Whisenhunt would allow for an open competition between McFadden and Toler before next season begins.

24. By The Card on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I think the cards should let him go and pick up a true safety that wont miss tackles all the time. i truly dont think he is that good of a safety.
    What do you think should happen?

25. By cards62 on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Cardinals are not being cheap. 24 starters and if you pay them all 8 million you are out of business. NFL is a hard way to make a living and I can not blame a player for trying to win the lottery in free agency so I wish Rolle well. I want Rolle back and I believe the front office when they say they want him back to, but we never know when the Jets or Redskins or some team will come calling with a huge contract that the Cardinals or any other club will not match.

I am a long time fan and I like the way our organization is handling its business the past few years, and I have not felt this way in the past.

This is going to be a tough and long off season for the Cardinals and for us the fans so lets try to stay calm and enjoy the process. My wish list for our free agency is Bulger at QB, Porter at OLB, and Carlos Rodgers at CB, and I want an OT or OLB with our first draft choice. GO cards

26. By Roy on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

So let me get this right, we have a defense that was invisible in 2 playoff games. We need to upgrade and get better. So what we are gonna do is let our Pro Bowl free safety walk, our best linebacker walk, and we have thoroughly ticked off our best D-Lineman because we won’t give him an extension.
    I am understanding of finances to an extent, but why would anybody pay to come watch this team next year if we don’t fill in these holes. We get upset when players want out of their contract, but the Cards signed Rolle to this deal and now they aren’t going to honor it. How on Earth are we going to have a competitive defense and keep this playoff run going? I live in Illionois so I don’t have season tickets anyway, if I did I wouldn’t be feeling great about next season.

27. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Justin –

First of all, every player can potentially be replaced.

I think Rolle, if he kept improving, could be a key impact player. I do not think he is worth $10 million a season. I am very interested in what the free agent market brings for him. The Cards want to keep him, though, and there is no question that — at least in the short term — the Cards are weaker if he leaves.

As for Toler, I believe he will have a chance to win a starting job this season.

28. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

The Card –

I think the Cards should try to keep him but I wouldn’t break the bank. It’s a fine line (and a dangerous one), but one a team needs to walk.

29. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Roy –

I understand the frustration and the Cards did get themselves into a predicament with Rolle’s deal. That’s tough to argue. But again, I think it’s too simple to say they will let Dansby and Rolle “walk.” They tried to give Dansby a market deal and they want to give Rolle one. And those players have chosen to see if they can get more. I’ll take the other tact — you say the defense was invisible in two playoff games, yet you want to pay two of those defenders whatever they want just to keep them? As for Dockett, he got an extension and he wasn’t upset about it then. There’s no lock to say he won’t get another one. Trust me, if a team re-did contracts every time a player was ticked off he was underpaid, they’d be redoing contracts 24/7.

30. By Steve on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Once Rolle is released, do you think the team will look at bringing in Darren Sharper?

31. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Steve –

I am 99.9 percent sure Sharper finds a way to stay a Saint.

32. By dylan on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

who do you think would be a good replacement for Rolle if he doesn come back?
    and a realistic replacement

33. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Dylan –

First I need to see Rolle go elsewhere. I know some believe me to be drinking a bit too much Kool-Aid, but I still think Rolle could return.

34. By Roy on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

I knew someone would bring up the obvious that if our defense was bad then we should want to switch players. I would just as soon replace the bottom 4 or 5 starters instead of the best players at each level. Dansby was on some levels unavoidable, I don’t blame the organization for him leaving. I hope Rolle returns and I hope we extend Darnell like AW and Larry.

My point is that our defense needed to fill some wholes at a minimum after the playoffs and now it looks as though it could be a complete overhaul. I would want to keep as much consistency as possible in positions that were not “weak”. If they think Rolle was “weak” then thats a different story. (Remember this was only his 2nd season playing FS in his life) He obviously wasn’t too bad if he went to the Pro Bowl, even as an alternate. If he leaves not only is our defense going to look different it will be hard to predict it not being a lot worse than last year.

35. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Roy –

Makes sense. But in the case of Rolle, it’s complicated. Yes, the contract is not a good one for the Cards, but that’s obviously meaningless since it was done back in 2005. I don’t think Rolle is weak. I do think he was solid. But he’s not worth $12 million for one season (plus no guarantee he will return heading into free agency next year) and you can’t force him to sign an extension.

36. By John on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Again, if Rashad Johnson would have shown up last year, Rolle wouldn’t be coming back. The Cards saw the contract and prepared for it.

Het CARDS62- Carlos Rodgers would be a nice pickup but he is one of those restricted FA’s because of the collective barginning deal isnt done.

Hey Darren, did you see my guy Sean Wetherspoon (LB) just run a 4.57 forty ? He will make card fans forget about Dansby. A leader and playmaker this defense needs badly.

37. By John on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

ASU’s Dexter Davis puts up a 4.56 in the 40 ? WOW. Scouts had him down before as a 4.78 guy. he blew that out of the water.
    He needs to move to OLB at 6’2″ and 255 pounds and even with 28.5 career sacks, he is projected as a late pick. But I wouldn’t mind taking a ASU guy in the 4th-6th round and see what he can do. With that kind of speed, he could at least play special teams.
    Nice job Dexter ! Although he struggled at the East-West shrine, with that speed, he could be a pass rush specialist.

Dexter to the Cards !!

38. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

The cards really need to fix the defense, but getting rid of Rolle would be the a pretty dumb way to start, but it would be awesome if the Cards made a trade with San Diego and picked up Antonio Cromartie to replace McFadden, having the Cromartie duo in the back field together would be pretty interesting

39. By John on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Rolle has One good year and suddenly he is the next Larry Wilson. Where was he the other 4 years? Guys who wake up in their last year of a contract (Rolle knew he would be released) scare me to sign to big , long term contracts. I’m not saying don’t bring him back, just make sure you can live with the contract.

Besides, if Aaron Rodgers hits his guy in overtime (where Rolle let the Wr get behind him) cards fans would treat him like Aaron Francisco.

I have mixed feelings about Antonio Cromartie. Very talented corner who the Chargers want to get rid of. Red Flag. I’m guessing the Chargers want draft picks and that isn’t something we should give up. Boldin for Cromartie ? Now that is more interesting.

40. By DON CHRISTENSEN on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

DREW ROSENHAUS ‘AGENT ROTTENMOUTH’ WILL NOT LET ANTREL ROLLE SIGN A CONTRACT AT SAFETY WAGES, AND NEITHER WILL ROLLE’S MIAMI EGO…HE’S GONE.

41. By Hotrod on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Rolle has shown great skills at both positions, but look at any corner or safety with no pass rush then look are like a sitting duck. Rolle has gave the cards his all, and no one stated to the cards to back load his contract. I’ve been a corner and was moved to safety as well, but I was never expected to cover the entire backfield like the cards as done Rolle! The defense is situp for A.Wilson to be a linebacker, not a strong safety. So then Rolle covers the entire backfield, but no one says anything about that. Look at the times, when Rolle was not in the secondary. You did not see a single safety covering the entire field like Rolle had to. I watched Rolle play in pain, when other players in there last year of a contract would just make the money and get ready for free agency. Not Rolle! He made sure he was in there weekend and week out, but the team or the fans does not look at this loyalty. The first thing they want to say, is that to much money to play one player. Well why did you not just let the guy play free safety, and stop putting him down with the slot receiver. If Rolle gets at safety and masters it., like I’m show he will. We want be talking about the few millions they might be apart, but he will be getting you six to ten interception, and returning half of them for touchdowns which in turn would help or win ball games. Well its time to sign off, but Rolle still has not even reached his potential because of all the positions the cards keep having him play. Example: Sharper only plays Safety, and has a great pass rush in front of him. The last two seasons he has 7 to 9 interceptions both years. Now let Rolle do that, and I know you would see the same, and some with Rolle being faster and smarter. Give the guy and the money and lets get back to the SUPERBOWL!!!!

42. By alex u on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

yeah im just pissed, no good news so far this off-season, and why are we still carying jason wright? is he FB now? like Kreider is amazing.

43. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

What I dont get is why the cards wont offer rolle a 3 year 12 million dollar deal instead of 1 year, why are they only doing a 1 extra season? thats whats not worth 12 million, but 2 or 3 years is worth 12 million

44. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

And another thing i wanna know is why are the Cardinals making a deal with Rolle for him to recieve a 4 million dollar bomus and then try and ditch him right before he gets it? If they dont wanna pay him that much then why in the heck did they give hiim that kind of contract, offer Rolle a 2 season 12 million dollar contract, and if they still dont like it try 3, 12 million is worth at leased 3 seasons of hid talent

45. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

RodgersCromartie –

Seriously, think about what you are asking.

To start, the contract he currently has is in the last year of his rookie deal, a six-year contract signed in 2005, not a one-year deal he suddenly signed last year. It was designed to force the teams to come up with a new contract, but unfortunately, circumstances have dictated Rolle having all the leverage.

Second, if you are Rolle and your choice is restructuring a deal for three years, $12 million or forcing your release and hitting the free agent market to try for, say, a four-year deal worth $28 million with $14 M guaranteed, which one would you pick? Yeah, that’s what I thought. The Cards have offered a good deal from what I know (I don’t know the specifics) but Rolle doesn’t want to sign anything until he finds out what is out there. It’s really not a hard concept to understand.

46. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren now I understand, another question, do you know what Rolle is asking for as of right now from the Cards?

47. By pacardfan on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

What are your thoughts on the Cards. going after Carols Rogers? I read somewhere that he may be a free agent. Also, now that the Bears released Oralando Pace, do you think the Cards. would try and get him? He could be an upgrade on the OL. I like to see the Cards go after Chad Pen. or Bulger if avb. both our up there in years but they would give Matt a solid back-up and/or pos. fight for the job. The Cards. def. need a LB and CB and DL. exp. with Dansby all but gone. By picking up Bulger or Chad, it gives the Cards opt. to go for their Def. needs and work on the contracts for Rolle and 90 who we dep. need. I feel Porter would be a great pick up at the right price as well, leaving Davis and Allen to improve. As for Toler, he looked nice coming in at the Playoffs. He may have gotten beat a few times, but fans got to remeber, he didn’t play much before and for what he did, he looked good. Rogers would look good across from DRC if he is avb.

48. By pacardfan on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

I also think the Cards. should keep Kreider. He doesn’t run well, but his blocking skills are good. I’m from his local hometown in PA and have always liked his playing ability and am impressed on the wholes he opened up for the running game in Pitt. and in ARZ. Any word on what the Cards. will do with him? For all those who hate on Matt. Personally, I don’t care to much for the guy either, but with the WR power (with or w/o my man Q,), and our 3 studs at RB), Matt will be ok. Yes I said 3 RB’s. LSH is a little monster of speed and heart and short of reminds me of a former FB……Larry Centers! I know you all remeber Larry. His heart for the game made him one of the best FB’s in the game. Yes LSH is a RB and not a FB, but their work on the field is simliar. GO CARDS!

49. By Infamous on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

What is your take on Bryant Mcfadden. He looked like a good prospect when picking him up from Pittsburgh last year but for the 2009/10 season he didnt seem to fire up and play very well. Is he a long term consideration/worth keeping, or should we seek to get rid of him in order to get someone who might perform better?

50. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Rodgers –

Right now, I don’t think he’s asking for anything. He wants to become a free agent and see what the market will bear.

51. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

pacardfan –

Rogers is an RFA so I doubt you see the Cards chase him for a first-round pick.

52. By darrenurban on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Infamous –

I thought McFadden obviously struggled at times and is a guy who needs a good pass rush. But this idea that the Cards should just dump everyone who struggled makes no sense. Who do you get who is better? Anyone available is going to have warts — that’s why they are available.

53. By Eazy E on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Dunta Robinson Anyone??? He’s an ufa and will want big money but so what. We got alot of money coming off the books(kurt warner, mike gandy, karlos dansby, antrel rolle(unfortunately), bertrand berry, chike okeafor, anymore?), plus its going to be uncapped. Why not? Now him and DRC is sweet!

54. By k. on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

as always darren your voice is a welcomed one of reason! keep up the fantastic job! go cards!

55. By Barry on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

As much as I’d like to get Rolle back I see him testing the waters…he has Drew Rosenhaus…that wonderful agent…:roll eyes: I guarantee he’s tell Rolle he’s worth more elsewhere.
    I also read Thomas Jones is being let go by Jets..another Rosenhaus client…suprise suprise!! All because they could restructer his contract…so as you can see. Drew will be busy this off-season with all the clients he has as FA.

I hope Greg Toler can step up if we can’t get Rolle back because our defense was lacking pretty bad in the end last yr and were losing more valuable players like Dansby too…Gonna be a rough ride this yr!

56. By John on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Easy E, I like Dunta Robinson. He had an off year last year and wants big money, which is why Houston has had enough. But if the Cards paired him with DRC and dropped Mcfadden into Nickel, that would be solid. A-Dub could and would be used more around the line and blitz more.
    Add in Porter and a draft pick to rush the passer, this defense could get alot better.

My only problem is this draft is deep with good corners and Dunta may demand too much money. It may be wiser to draft a corner in the third and let Toler, Mcfadden and the rookie compete.
    Dont you think thats the direction the Cards will go Darren?

57. By darrenurban on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

John –

I don’t see the Cards chasing Robinson.

58. By monroe on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Rolle is a dominant corner and he will likely move back there next year where ever he plays

59. By alex u on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

I don’t want McFadden starting either but, i’m suprised nobody has mentioned Leigh Bodden, in my opinion i think he is better than Robinson, especially 1 on 1 in the redzone, plus, Bodden is cheaper than Robinson too.