Tebow and the Cardinals

Posted by Darren Urban on March 2, 2010 – 11:01 am

No, I don’t think the Cardinals will draft Tim Tebow.

We’ll get that out of the way right at the top. I don’t know if the Cards see the University of Florida superstar able to fix his throwing flaws enough to make it in the NFL as a quarterback – which is Tebow’s emphatic preference. That’s the major hangup, I believe, one voiced by Browns president Mike Holmgren – who, after mentoring Brett Favre, Steve Young, Joe Montana, among others in his career, knows his quarterbacks.

“It’s always been my opinion that (the throwing motion) is the most difficult thing to change in any quarterback,” Holmgren said. “I’ve read he’s got a number of guys coaching him up on that and he’s trying to change it, but it’s really hard to do, I think. Particularly in pressure situations.”

But, Holmgren added, “Do you want a Tim Tebow on your football team? I think absolutely. You need guys like that, players like that.”

I think, ultimately, that would be the view of Tebow by the Cards. They need quarterbacks, but if you are iffy on Tebow’s ability to play that spot, there are better risks as the position. Now, if Tebow was saying he was willing to play any position coming in, well, that might change some things. He leaped 38.5 inches, ran a 4.72 40-yard dash and showed all kinds of athleticism both in college and at the Scouting combine that at a shade under 6-foot-3 and 236 pounds, he seemingly would make a good tight end/H-back/fullback.

“I want to be a quarterback in the NFL,” Tebow said. “That’s been my dream since I was 6 years old. I’m going to do whatever it takes to do that. (But) if I’m on a team that asks me to help the team in another way, of course I’m going to do that. It’s always team-first.”

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt acknowledged that it could be intriguing to have Tebow available in a game, noting what the Cards have done on offense with guys like safety Antrel Rolle. But to me, that’s an indication Tebow would be at another position and work in as a gadget guy rather than a guy normally behind center.

“I think the one thing you can’t overlook is he has been very successful in college football,” Whisenhunt said. “He’s won a lot of games, and there’s a lot to be said for that. So I think the transition for any player moving to this level is going to be difficult to a degree. For Tim, because of the offense that they ran, there is going to be a transition period.”

Unless Tebow slipped to the fifth or sixth round – which I believe unlikely – I don’t see the Cards willing to take a flier on him (and certainly not in the first round). There are too many other places that need depth/help, and in a draft considered deep, I don’t think the Cards would be willing to gamble a pick (or the time) to see what Tebow might be in the pros.

Tags: , ,

59 Responses to “Tebow and the Cardinals”

1. By Bobf on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

The dude is a beast of an athlete, but he does come with some baggage at QB.

2. By Aaron on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Depending on who all is there, if he’s still there in the 3rd round I think he could be worth it for us. Leinart is all but guaranteed an opportunity this season to try to prove himself so we are in no hurry anyways. And we love the underdogs, the guys people bet against (Beanie), the small school guys, etc. The guys who want to put in as much time as it takes and who are “good guys” not going to cause problems.

As much as I question his ability to truly become an NFL QB, he is more willing to do whatever it takes to succeed than anyone else in the draft. He is an amazing athlete, and you know he’s not going to get in trouble.

3. By John on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Good article. Couldn’t agree more. I like Tebow. He has all the intangibles you want. I just dont know if he is a pro QB.
    Its funny seeing mock drafts having Tebow go in the first round. No way does that happen.

4. By dylan on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

if he is still up for grabs in the later rounds pick him up and put him at tightend we need one

5. By John on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, off the subject, Is Russ Grimm at the Combine? Do you have access? Ask him how he thinks his son did. I would imagine if he is not drafted,(he’s projected as undrafted) he would come here as a FA ? Cards do need LB’s. . .

6. By gordo on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

darren
    have u heard anyhting about the rest of the cardinals that are trying to get deals done right now?and what about pace?

7. By darrenurban on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

John –

Russ has returned. I was going to do a blog about him and his son, as soon as I get a chance to talk to him.

Cody Grimm will be a safety in the NFL, though.

8. By darrenurban on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Gordo –

I don’t have any other info right now. The RFAs will all be tendered offers. The UFAs will be foolish not to wait until the open market to see what is available.

9. By dylan on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

i know this is way off subject

Darren- okay so a teacher of mine says the cards going 5-11 what do you think of that i say they can go 10-6 again but no one believes in the cards without kurt warner

10. By John on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

So, what were your impressions of the combine? Anyone stood out to you personally (leaving cards out of it)? How about the buzz ?Any players wow the coaches? Love to hear what some of the GM’s and coaches were thinking there.

11. By kdohi on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

now i wanna see him run routes and catch the ball as a TE.

12. By darrenurban on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Dylan –

I think we have to wait to see what happens in the offseason. Let’s see how the team will be constructed first.

13. By darrenurban on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

John –

When I go to the combine, I don’t actually get to see the workouts. Way to much other stuff to do interview wise (for both print and video). The coaches and GMs usually play it close to the vest too. They don’t want to let anyone know who they might like.

14. By Barry on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

like to see him try out as a tight end..I think hes got the size and talent to do it. I don’t think the QB class is good at all this yr.

If we do take a look at him see if he’s got the potential for the gadget plays like antrel and Anquan were good at….then draft him if need be..always need a backup QB

15. By rick on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

No way he will not make it in the nfl, he be just like oakled qb.

16. By Jesse Novotny on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Man with tebow they could make a pretty good run for the super bowl this year

17. By Chris B on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

My prediction is that Tebow goes int he first round to Oakland. That’s the only team who will draft him and pay him way more than he might be worth. And, Old Man Al will make him play DT or LB.

18. By Joe-B on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

I don’t see Tebow making it as a QB in the NFL.

19. By Paul on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, The Republic mentioned last week that Coach Whiz was thinking about the idea of an indoor pratice facility of some type. Do you think this is something that we may see in the next few years?

20. By Kalib on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

god i miss kurt already

21. By Derek on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

This is just pure speculation, but I’m curious.

If draft order didn’t matter, who do you think AZ would draft 1st round?

22. By Eric on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Tebow is worthless in the NFL. There are so many QBs with more potential. Lefevour, Pike, even the guy from Fordham, Skelton, all look to have more potential than Tebow. I’d prefer Tyler Palko on the bench over Tebow.

23. By Nathan H on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

I think Tebow would be a good pickup just because this new fascination in the pros for things like the Wildcat etc. And I think having people like Tebow, and Rolle on the field together would really keep defenses on their heels on trying to figure out what we want to do since both could pass or run or play the option. The only reason I wouldn’t want him though, is because I know Leinart doesn’t want to have a big name to have to look over his shoulder. But hopefully since Tebow isn’t considered the prototypical QB then this would lighten the fears of Leinart.

24. By Secret on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

How good is Tebow’s tackling? If hes good at tackling i think he would be a great special teamer. He would also make a good situational Q/F/H-back. Or the Cards could build a wildcat playbook around him they might run once or twice a month during the season.

25. By darrenurban on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Paul –

I think it is possible yes, but I think most things around the NFL will be on hold until after the current labor uncertainty is resolved.

26. By darrenurban on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Derek –

I’m not sure what you mean. If you are talking about who the Cards might have at the top of their draft board — i.e., if the Cards had the first pick — that hasn’t been set yet. But I would guess it would be among the same guys everyone else is thinking: Suh, McCoy, Bradford.

27. By Dan on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, whats the best Pizza place in Az?

28. By Matt on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I agree. Tebow would be an asset to the team if he fell to us in a later round. I think the first couple of rounds we should address our defense. After a good showing at the combine what, do you feel, are the chances Taylor Mays falls to us at 26? If he did do you think the Cardinals would take a chance at him as a linebacker? They list him at 6’3″, 230 lbs and when I watched him at USC last year he looked even bigger. With 4.4 speed he could be a beast coming off the edge as an OLB or maybe like Patrick Willis as an ILB.

29. By darrenurban on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Dan –

Oregano’s.

Although I might be biased.

Heard good things about Pizzaria Bianco downtown too, but I’ve never been there.

30. By darrenurban on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Matt –

I’ll tell you the same thing I tell all the people who insist Adrian Wilson should be a linebacker: Mays is a safety, not a linebacker, in the NFL. Whether the Cards take him, well, I just doubt it, given Wilson is already here. I don’t see Mays as a free safety, although stranger things have happened. Besides, Rolle will be back by then … right?

31. By Matt on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Lets cross our fingers on Rolle, he is a playmaker we need.

And I understand where you are coming from on Wilson and Mays. However, Rolle WAS a corner and is now a very good safety…right?

32. By darrenurban on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Matt –

Big, big, BIG difference with toggling between safety and cornerback as opposed to safety and linebacker.

33. By Dan on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Best pizza I ever had is Grimaldis near 99th and Northern about a mile north of the stadium, I’ve had Oregano’s. If you do hit Grimaldi’s add the ricotta cheese as one of the toppings. Love that place, thank me later…hehe! If you don’t like it the first time, try it again until it sinks in, your going to really enjoy it.

34. By Billy Thomas on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

I think a problem with the NFL is they run these wildcat packages and VERY occasionally pass out of them. If I were a coach I think I would run a wildcat package with a QB (even though that isn’t technically the wildcat) and have it so not only could he and might he pass, but actually would pass. Obviously your wildcat QB has to be very aware and make good decisions, but I think Tim Tebow is that kind of guy. The guy you can stick in, have him run a play and then choose (have an option) to pass or run it himself. In Madden (obviously not close to reality) having Tim Tebow (Tribow in the game) run a shotgun package with split-backs works very well. He has 3 WRs to pass to, a couple of RBs who can run some flat routes or block and then Tim can choose whether to pass or run. This idea, as well as the fact that he has strong character and is committed to being the best he can be at his position I think make him a great prospect. You can do much worse with a 3rd round draft pick.

35. By Tony on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Never happen,we have too many more needs

36. By dylan on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

yeah well wilson basically plays linebacker right now and rolle has to cover the whole back field

37. By mark on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Hey guys since were talking draft picks and I have seen some lame mock drafts in my opinion, so here is one of mine. I hope we all agree the cards most important needs are as follows: ILB, DB, OLB/DE,S DT OL TE QB . Now the picks will be based on need and best possible player. I think cards would draft would be great if it looked like this. Gonna try and be realistic but you could only wish ILB Rolando McClain would fall to us at # 26.
    1) DB Kyle Wilson.
    2) OLB Navorro Bowman.
    3) ILB Sean Lee.
    4) OG Mitch Petrus
    5) S Myron Rolle
    6) QB Zac Robinson.
    7) DT Nate Collins.
    Of course this I think would be a best case senario, but we can all dream.

38. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

Based purely on your personal opinion and observations, would prefer Tebow or Colt McCoy as YOUR developmental QB (of the future) if YOU were the GM of your own NFL team? This question has nothing to do with draft ramifications or team needs, but simply who do YOU think is the better prospect.

39. By big red fan on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Funny. . . I remember another QB they said would never make it at this level – Kurt Warner.

40. By Ditship on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Tebow would be fun to have but we’re not really in the position to draft for fun right now. If he’s there in the 5th round I’d take him and work him in as a TE who could be very interesting on option plays. I never see the guy being a consistant starting QB in the NFL though. If we do draft him though I’d love to eat those words.

41. By John on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Derek,
    I think its an interesting question about having the number 1 pick for the Cards.
    Suh is the best player,(his explosivness and power is like Reggie White) but both him and McCoy would play end in our defense. With Dockett and Cambell, the need isnt really there.
    Okung is the best Tackle but he is alot like Jason Smith last year. Good but not great.
    Eric Berry is described as an Ed Reed clone and would be a great FS. But the draft for DB’s is deep.
    So, I take Sam Bradford. Never pass on a franchise QB when you are uncertain in what you Have.
    Give Matt the starting job and if he does well, you have a very nice problem.

42. By darrenurban on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Ottis –

I am not a scout, nor do I play one on the internet. But there have been too many people that have wondered about Tebow that I suppose, in that scenario, I would take McCoy as a QB. But I do think both will find a spot in the NFL and both will be good in the locker room.

43. By big red fan on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

In fact, I will venture to say that there is a team out there somewhere anxious to get Tebow as soon as possible. He will not last long, in spite of the hype.

44. By John on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Mark,
    Not sure I agree with the picks. The draft is deep in corners and that is not the cards #1 need. No way do I spend my #1 on a CB. Bowman is a great athlete but he would play inside for us. I dont see him as a dominate passrusher. I also dont see a NT. We need one badly.
    I think in the first round, 3 guys who the Cards should have on their radar.
    Sean Wetherspoon – instant leader and big play guy.
    Dan Williams – dominate NT
    Brandon Graham- passrusher with great motor.
    2nd round
    MT Cody- NT.Top Runstuffer
    Jerry Hughes- Corey Chavious calls the best pure pass rusher in the draft.
    Nate Allen- True centerfielder at FS.
    Koa Misi- athletic passrusher big effort guy
    Dream draft?
    1. Wetherspoon ILB
    2a (Boldin trade) Mt Cody NT/Brandon Graham OLB
    2b. Jerry Hughes OLB/ Cam Thomas NT
    3. Jerome Murphy CB
    4a.(Boldin Trade) Tony Moeaki TE
    4b.Major Wright FS
    5, Zac Robinson QB
    6. Dexter Davis OLB
    7. Tony Washington OT

Just my opinion.

45. By K-DUB on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Do you when the Flagstaff schedule will be posted?

46. By darrenurban on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub –

Not until much later this summer. My guess is not until June, maybe late May. But the dates will be similar I would guess.

47. By KMS on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Yeah so saids you a guy who thinks matt leinart can play.. OK

48. By SMC(Future Cardinal) on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Why not Draft Tim Tebow, you play him through the preseason and he will Develop into a star!Because he is a athlete and that’s what they do, im the biggest cardinal fan in Baltimore,Maryland and there nothing i rather see a Tebow-Fitzgerald ,65-yard TD Pass!!!!!!

49. By KMS on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Sorry about the leinart comment.. But Leinart just worries me because im worried he doesn’t have a lot of heart. I want to see Leinart play with tons and tons of heart and be super excited to play the QB spot. I hope Leinart does well and it ticks me off when he does not. I think for him though he needs some heart.A lot more then he had in previous years!

50. By mark on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey John, I agree i like your mock draft is better but I just think some of those guys dont fall that far in the first round. I was thinking both Weatherspoon and Graham would be selected before # 26. As far as nose tackle, I still believe Alan Branch and Gabe Watson have talent and if Branch can continue to improve with his conditioning he can be a beast.

51. By Billy Thomas on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

I agree with the Leinart comment from KMS. It’s not that he’s bad or anything. I think he does have alot of talent, however sometimes I don’t think he has his whole heart into it. Also, he doesn’t seem to have alot of character. I believe those are what make a player great, and if Leinart can develop both of those, I think he will be VERY successful.

52. By cards62 on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

John I like your draft picks better than Mark’s. Weatherspoon and Graham were beasts in the senior bowl so either one or both of them will be nice additions for us. I really want to see us draft an offensive tackle in round 2 and if available with our 3rd pick or maybe an extra second Tebow’s tightend from Florida – Hernandez. Watch tape on this kid as he was Florida’s main offensive weapon this year. I really want to take a chance on a tight end to help Leinart and our WRs and when I think of our last weapons to wear the red I think of mainly Jackie Smith and a little of J V Cain and that is way too far to go back in history. I also would like for us to draft a center as Lyle still worries me too much. I do not want to see us draft a QB before the 7th round as I am hoping Matt will be the man, and if I am wrong we draft a stud QB next year and let Matt become a free agent. We must be active in free agency and pick up an experience QB, Bulger or Pennington, a CB to replace McFadden. He made $ 5 million last year and he is not a $ 5 miillion dollar CB, and Joey Porter to rush the QB and train all of our young OLB pups on how to rush the QB. This is what I wish for before our first preseason game.

53. By John on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Mark,
    you may be right. Wetherspoon is flying up the draft boards. I’ve seen him going 15th to the giants. Graham may end up gone too. They are my two favorite players in this draft.
    In that case, I might draft like this;
    1st-Jerry Hughes-most boards have him in the second round but Corey Chavious (ex-card and ram who could be a GM someday) loves Hughes. With back to back double digit sacks, he can get after the QB. Too small for end but showed he can move to OLB.
    2a- Navvaro Bowman- fast ILB who can make plays everywhere.
    2b- Cam Thomas- I think Branch does better as a backup DE. Even with Watson, the need for depth is there.
    3. Jerome Murphy CB- I like this guy cuz he is long and fast much like DRC. Now DRC is in a class by himself, but murphy could eventually be a very good corner.
    4a- major wright FS- solid playmaker in centerfield
    4b. A.J. Edds-LB, Iowa LB’s can cover and play the run. Solid player.
    5. Zac Robinson- QB- I really think this guy is a diamond in the ruff. He is very athletic, can run, makes the throws, but makes bad decisions which can be corrected.
    6.Dexter Davis.OLB – Too small for end, bad hips for coverage. He can only do one thing, but he is very good at it. Bring him in on passing downs and let him get the QB.
    7. Tony Washington OT- Big , physical guy that could be a backup.

Cards62 – I like Hernandez, but I think we need alot of defensive help, especially with Dansby and maybe Rolle leaving. Hernandez is a stud and I wouldnt be upset if the Cards grabbed him late in the 2nd.
    McFadden can be upgraded by Murphy. This guy will be a good draft pick. I’ve also been preaching getting Porter. Even if the deal is one year and release. Lets not “hope” the young guys can get to the QB. Get a proven guy. Other free agents could be Ryan Clark FS from Pitt, Ben Watson TE for NE, and Larry Foote ILB (just to hold it down till Bowman or Edds took over). And either QB would work as a backup. I believe Matt will do fine.
    Redo Docketts deal, give Breaston a long time deal and lets get back to the dance.

54. By shawn on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Why not ? this is my question to everyone, Why not TEBOW ? You have a quarterback coming off of an elite college career. Granted the college game is nothing to the NFL. But if I were comparing Quarterback resumes, Tim Tebow has more to brag about than anyone. Not to mention he ran a 4.7 40 time, the cardinals took a chance on Leinhart, a quarterback suppose to be fitting for the NFL. Look where that has gotten then, I’m not saying they need to take him in the first round, but they need to do what is needed to get him. He is a born leader a great individual, and someone to lead a team who has lost it’s oldest mentor in Kurt Warner. Arizona has been rebuilding, this has been shown with their great play over the last few years. Don’t ruin it now, let’s push it over the top and GO TEBOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

55. By dylan on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

shawn okay so were has lienart got the cardinals oh wait no were cause look he has barely played in like 4 years and he got beat out by a HOF qb and he barely got beat out let me tell you lienart will be fine

56. By John on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Shawn,
    I think Tebow was the greatest college player I ever saw. I love his character and he is a born leader.
    But too many scouts and GM’s say his flaw in throwing motion cant be corrected and he will struggle as a pro QB.
    If anyone will work hard to change it, its Tebow. If he was there in the 3rd round, then take a chance. But the Cards defense is bad. They are losing 4 starters (Robinson,Dansby, Rolle, Okefer) They must improve the passrush and get a ILB early in the draft. You cant take a chance on Tebow.
    If we were solid everywhere, sure take Tebow. The Cards just are not in position to do so.

57. By cards62 on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Shawn

Tebow is off the table for us until the 6th round at the earliest.
    Too much risk verses reward for us, and we have so many needs at other positions.
    I love Tebow and would use him on special teams and h back as I worked him in at QB, but he is too risky at QB for a high pick,. Remember the QB for Nebraska a few years back, Eric Crouch I believe was his name. Great for college but his game does not translate to NFL QB. Leinarts game at USC translates to the NFL so he was not considered risky and we felt fortunate to get him with the # 10 pick. Hopefully Leinart will make us look smart in 2010.

John Thanks for the input, but I am holding out for a stud TE as the 1970s is too long to wait and will not give up hope until after the draft.
    Go Cards!

58. By CardsRep928 on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

I agree with shawn since we dont play our draft picks the first season(for the most part)…we have leinart for what two more years, if tebow is around in the second round snag him…Then when his third year comes around watch him be a more refined smarter version of roethlisberger…I see no negatives on tebow…he learned the system in florida he can learn the system here in Arizona.

59. By javier penunuri on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

take taylor mays in the first round then tebow in the second.