Test-driving a Carr and other tidbits

Posted by Darren Urban on March 3, 2010 – 7:57 pm

A few quick things to touch upon:

– Kent Somers ferreted out the Cards’ interest in David Carr as a free-agent quarterback. Makes sense to me, given that he is relatively young. Do I think he’d get open competition with Matt Leinart? No. Coach Ken Whisenhunt isn’t going to come out and say Leinart is the starter until he has to, before the season. But I believe this is Leinart’s job to lose rather than an open competition, whomever the Cards sign. Carr I think could be a solid backup, a guy with whom you can be comfortable if Leinart gets hurt (or, knock on wood, Leinart falters). Again, I think the Cards have to give Leinart a little bit of a leash, though, and give him a chance to play through a couple of ups and downs.

– The Cards have to make a decision tomorrow about their restricted free agents. I already let everyone know what I thought would happen with the Cards’ five key RFAs and nothing has changed — a first-round tender for Steve Breaston, second-round tenders for Gabe Watson, Deuce Lutui, Lyle Sendlein and Ben Patrick (Somers already confirmed that is what happened with Patrick and Lutui). It’s not rocket science; the level of all five tenders are common sense.

– Our combine videos are now being slowly rolled out. You can catch some of the national media types talking about the Cards’ improving reputation, and also how the Cards’ braintrust works together on the draft.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

45 Responses to “Test-driving a Carr and other tidbits”

1. By dylan on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

why does no one have faith in lienart? he played under denny green played with whiz a few games and played pretty well under whiz then broke his collarbone.. lost his starting job to a HOF. the guy can scramble and throw the ball deep. he is much bigger and taller then kurt warner i have a feeling he is gonna be a great qb and he wants it more then anything, he wants to prove to everyone he can play at a great level

2. By Derek on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Are the Cardinals showing any interest in attempting to sign Dunta Robinson? He could be a valuable addition to the defense. Also, since there are three big veterans out there (Lewis, Tomlinson, and Westbrook), do you think they might consider dropping one of the younger, less played RBs to gain veteran experience?

3. By k. on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

i definitely think carr would be a great fit for az. i hope az can ink him to a 2-3 year deal!

4. By darrenurban on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

Highly doubt Robinson. As for the RBs, why would you dump a cheaper, more athletic guy like Tim Hightower for guys that are clearly on their last legs in the NFL?

5. By mark on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    If the cards lose Rolle do you think might go after restricted free agent FS Oshiomogho Atogwe of the Rams. I hear they could offer him the lowest tender and he seems he would not be as expensive as Rolle but has played really well on a really bad Rams team.

6. By Nathan H on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Well, I don’t like any of our runningbacks if they don’t stop fumbling the ball. lol j/k but that serioulsy needs to be worked on over training camp.

7. By k. on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

@dylan

i don’t think it is about doubting lienart but it is about filling the depth with quality at good value behind him. if kurt was the lone qb under contract the cards would be doing the same thing. i truly believe lienart is going to erase the media stigma by having an excellent season in 2010 and you’ll see all the “we knew it along” stories popping up and the bandwagon overflowing.

8. By k. on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

@darren

i saw where oakland tendered ilb kirk morrison with a 3rd round pick and was wondering if the cards were to go after him in what year would we lose the pick?
    and yes i am aware that oakland has the chance to match first but my curiousity was getting the better of me. if we lose dansby replacing him with a guy the same age and equally good production seems like a good fit. also kirk maybe more inclined to want to sign a long term deal as he would be leaving oakland and more than likely have a starting role from the start on a winning team. kirk’s salary last year was $2,301,760 so it would seem he wouldn’t break the bank.

9. By Shannon Robinson on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

David Carr is a great choice to back up Matt Leinart. We know a QB can fail at the NYG and still be great. David was a starter in Houston where they gave up on him but never really gave him the support you need in this league with an offense talented enough to win. He has a strong arm and with the right coaching could be something special – good job Mr. Graves. This will be an emotional time for the Cards and fans as we say Good Bye and Good Luck to some playmakers who took us to the big dance : Dansby, Rolle, and eventually Q will be painful to lose. Change is not always good – it is always exciting and takes some courage and sometimes regret. I’m glad to see the level of tenders being offered to the RFA’s – once again good decisions.The roster will still be strong after tomorrow and ready for a good draft.

10. By christian on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

darren i think we should keep lutui? hs pretty good as a offensive linemen. and why is it were osing all these good players, i mean are the cardinals being cheap? or do the players want jus more money its hard to replace players like anquan rolle, and dansby and if their gonna go this doesnt look good for the cards. me and my family been watchin them since sun devils stadium and we got season tickets its hard seeing the player we drafted jus get let go then their playin in their best. like i said very hard to replace players with there caliber. thanks darren

11. By Jim on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

If the Bears truly consider trading Greg Olsen (could just be a terrible rumor), how about Boldin for Olsen and a low/mid-round draft pick? Meets key needs for both teams.

12. By Kevin on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

If Rolle departs for good, does the team have any interest in signing Ryan Clark from the Steelers or are they more likely to address that through the draft? Watching the combine, I saw some talent at FS (Chad Jones-LSU, Taylor Mays-SC) but I also like Clark and wonder if there is any interest there, especially with the Pittsburgh connections.

13. By Big Red Fan on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

RB’s – Hightower and Wells are going to have an AMAZING year! With guys like Wright and LSH to mix in, this group is young with great potential. Leave the free agents alone.

David Carr – Well, seems the last QB we picked up from the Giants certainly turned out ok. . . . :)

14. By Wampag on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

I heard pennington was being thrown around and for some reason i had no idea Stevie B was among the restricted do you think he could be gone?

15. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Mark —

I think the Cards will be hesitant to go after RFAs because they cost draft picks.

16. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

K —

Always possible, but I think the Cards will be hesitant to give up picks. Anyone losing an RFA loses the pick immediately; i.e., it would be the Cards’ 2010 third-round pick.

17. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Christian —

The Cards are keeping Deuce. Not sure why you were worried otherwise.

As for the other guys, the NFL always moves on. Players want to get paid as much as they can and teams want to put together a team that wins. Sometimes those two things don’t always work together.

18. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Jim —

I don’t think the Bears trade Olson, but even if they did, I don’t see them dealing him and a pick for Boldin.

19. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Kevin —

Possible, but as with every FA, it’s going to depend on what Clark is looking for monetarily.

20. By Pay Dockett! on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

I believe in Leinart. With a good pass blocking o-line and hightower along with a good receiving corp will make it easy for him to be successful

21. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

As you see in this blog post, they will tender Breaston with the first-round pick. He’s not going anywhere.

22. By Big Red Fan on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Leinart may indeed succeed. This year we will find out. I like Carr as a backup plan.

I would be shocked to see the Bears trade Olsen, even for Boldin.

23. By 949cardsfan on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

If you truly believe in coach whiz, then you have to believe in Leinart too. Dont forget how close the competition was between Kurt and Matt in traning camp’08, Whiz couldnt make a call between the two until the last week of camp. It was virtually a dealock, and kurt had a pro bowl year, that year. Leinart’s gonna be fine.

24. By Wampag on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

thanks D the tenders confuse me more then free agency and wouldnt it be smart to put breaston under a new contract now?

and what have you heard of Pennington?

also Rolle are we going to lose him? I cant imagine him not playing with us

and why Olsen Whiz likes blocking tight ends and thats why he wants to leave Chicago

25. By cards62 on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

I would be happy with Carr as our backup. Would prefer Bulger or Pennington, but Carr would be okay. I do hope we make a run at one of the other two as I think they just know how to win more than David Carr.

Leinart fans do not worry as this will be Leinart’s team in 2010 and I think it should be Leinart’s team, but we have to have an insurance policy in case he does not play well and if he is injured. Do any of you Cardinal fans really want Brian or a rookie being our starting QB if Leinart is injured?

I do not agree that Leinart and Coach Whiz are linked together. I agree with our strategy to make this Leinarts team in 2010, but if Leinart is not successful in 2010 I say let him try free agency and we go after someone else like McNabb in 2011. I want Leinart to succeed and I will be rooting for his great success as we will have a QB for 10+ years at his age, but I have watched him since day 1 and I have my doubts and I will not blame Coach Whiz if Leinart does not succeed in 2010. Understand Leinart fans all of us Cardinal fans are Leinart fans and we want to jump on the Leinart band wagon, but the jury is still out and they have been deliberating his case for a long time. GO Cards!

26. By Big Red Fan on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

New York Giants: the place where beat-up but talented QB’s get rested up before going on to be legends in Arizona.

27. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Nice video article about the national sportswriter’s slowly changing perception about the Cardinals. While the players and loyal fans know that the culture of the team has changed, the national media who don’t follow the team as closely are expectedly the last one’s to buy into the culture change. I think the Cards probably got more regular season national media coverage in 2010 than any other season in their history, and most of it quite favorable.

28. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Maybe it would be a good move but I think most NFL teams are hesitant to do long-term deals with RFAs until they know what happens with 2011.

Haven’t heard anything on Pennington. But it seems to me, if the Cards are serious about Carr, that Carr fits the situation better than Pennington.

We’ll see on Rolle.

And I agree on Olson.

29. By christian on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

i said that because u put hes a tender for a 2nd round draft bick thats why i thought they werent gonna keep him thats why darre, and okay do you know by any chance theyll get rid of mcfadden he shudnt be gettin the money hes getting because he was wack all year and in the playoffs if i were them id get rid of him real quick. and with anquan they said theyd give him a contract he should get it. what do you think?

30. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Christian —

You can’t just dump guys at a whim. McFadden had his struggles but cutting him loose without a backup in place is silly. As for Q, I think the extension, for both sides, is a ship that has long since sailed.

31. By Mark Rivinius on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren

What do you think about Taylor Mays being drafted by Arizona in round 1? He had a pretty solid combine and is a good safety.

32. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Mark —

I think I want to see what happens with Rolle first.

33. By Matt on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

If we loose a tendered player do we get compensation for them this year or in the 2011 draft? Thanks.

34. By Derek on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I didn’t mean dropping Wells or Hightower, I meant dropping Jason Wright. He only has 588 yards and 2 touchdowns. I don’t know any of Westbrooks, Tomlinsons, or Lewis’s stats, but I know it’s WAY more than Wrights. The veteran experience could help with the fumbling problems and could give any one of them a decent chance at a divison title. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

By the way, any new updates on Boldin’s situation?

35. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Matt —

If the Cards lose an RFA, the draft pick they would get in return would be in the 2010 draft.

36. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

Nothing new on Boldin.

As for Wright, he is a good special teams player, something none of those other guys can and/or would be willing to do. Stats don’t matter once a player is done. Do you think LT would be willing to be the third guy behind Beanie and Hightower? Me neither.

37. By Derek on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

You have a point. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have two more questions.

1) Other than Rolle, what is the biggest free agent the Cards have shown interest in and could attempt to sign?

2) Are Larry Fitzgerald’s dreadlocks real? ( I know that sounds silly, but I have friends that say they are fake and I want to shut them up. They’re Titans fans.)

38. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

1) No one yet, at least as far as I know. Remember, it’s tampering with most FAs to be until 10 p.m. tonight. If I had to guess, they have to be looking at potential LBs, like Larry Foote and/or Joey Porter, given how thin they are at the position.

2) Yes, they are real. Fitz would be hurt that people would doubt that.

39. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Derek –

Fitz does however pad his bottom with T.P. before putting on his uni in order to enhance his booty for all the ladies watching the game on tv.
    ;)

40. By Derek on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I didn’t doubt, I just wanted proof to shut them up. Blind faith without evidence is almost foolish.

One final question.

What does it mean to “tender” someone? I hear about how a team has a first round tender and a third round tender and I don’t understand that saying.

41. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

For restricted free agents, there are four levels of “tender” offers. Because the FA is restricted, a team can only keep him restricted if they tender him — or, in other words, officially present him — with an offer. The various levels of tenders carry with them different salaries. For instance, Breaston was tendered as a first-round level. It means, in his situation, he will get a $2.396 M salary if he signs and plays under the tender. For now, his tender will be unsigned while he sees if a team is willing to sign him to a long-term offer sheet. If he did that, the Cards have seven days to match the offer. If they don’t match, Breaston goes to the new team, and the new team has to give up a first-round pick.

If a player is tendered at a first- and a third-rounder, not only is it more expensive to pay the play, but if he leaves, his new team must give up a first and a third round pick in the upcoming draft.

And there is always the chance the player can sign a long-term extension with his current team as well.

42. By 949cardsfan on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I think if we could resign Rolle, and bring in foote and porter, our Defense would be pretty legit. What do you think, is this even possible financially?

43. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

949 —

The Cards already have a healthy offer out there for Rolle. Foote and Porter are going to have to come in, in my opinion, on Clark Haggans-type deals. But it is possible.

44. By Scott H on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

First, it is being reported on NFL.com that Dunta Robinson is headed for Atlanta. Moving on, I’ve never been all that impressed with David Carr but, hey, why not? He’d be a solid back-up and if I think if we’re turning to the back-up QB for any reason this year, it’s probably beyond hope anyway. And the list of available QB free agents is not impressive at all. Carr might be the best of a pretty sad lot. Also hearing that Pennington seems likely to remain in Miami. I was NOT interested in seeing him in Arizona although more recently, I felt maybe his veteran experience might have been good for Leinart. Ah well.

45. By Jon on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Honestly I Think what we need is a big time middle linebacker. Is there any chance we could trade Boldin for Someone like Brian Urlacher. I mean they need a reciever and we need a linebacker. Makes sense right?