Warner comes back

Posted by Darren Urban on March 3, 2010 – 1:50 pm

I mean, back to the Cards’ Tempe facility to play his annual charity flag football tournament. … No, not back with the Cardinals after choosing to reverse his retirement decision. I apologize if the headline was misconstrued.

Anyway, it is time for Warner’s annual tourney, which will be held Saturday on the Cards’ practice fields. He’s got a star-studded list (although it’s not always a lock every guy actually makes it): Besides Warner, the “QBs” for the tournament are Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Philip Rivers, Todd Heap, Michael Strahan, Marshall Faulk and then the Cardinals’ contingent — former Falcons QB and current Cards’ quarterback coach Chris Miller, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin and Sean Morey.

Before you ask, sorry, the event isn’t open to the public. The teams/corporations involved pay Warner’s First Things First foundation big bucks for exclusivity. And I’d expect Warner’s team to be in the title game once again. Warner always wants to win anyway, and now, this is his lone football outlet.

Tags: , , , ,

27 Responses to “Warner comes back”

1. By pjdylan on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Don’t get my hopes up like that ever again! Good job Kurt!

2. By Callmeran on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Tease! He’d still be a great quarterbacks coach!

3. By NYCARDSFAN on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

NOT FUNNY!

4. By NYCARDSFAN on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

not funny dude.

5. By Brett on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Boy did you get me with that title. I seriously that the messiah was returning. lol Oh well. BTW do you think Antrel is going anywhere even if he hits the market?? Thanks

6. By darrenurban on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Callmeran –

Warner isn’t going to coach ever. Takes too much time away from the family.

7. By darrenurban on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Brett –

The money will dictate Antrel’s landing spot.

8. By Brett on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

So I know Warner took St. Louis to 2 Super Bowls and won 1 and was MVP and all that BUT do you think because of his opportunity here in AZ and the things he did for us and the things we did for him, he will go to the HOF as a Cardinal or Ram?? Does he even have a say in that? Thanks

9. By darrenurban on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Brett –

It doesn’t matter when it comes to the football Hall of Fame. You don’t go in “on a team.”

10. By Brett on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

LMAO my bad Darren, I am a complete goofball, I meant which team will retire his jersey?? Thanks

11. By darrenurban on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Brett –

Heck, both teams could.

12. By Scott H on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

C’mon, Darren, you should know better than to tease us with a blog tag like that. Not cool, man…

13. By darrenurban on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Scott –

Anyone who still thinks Kurt could come back for real is asking to get gotten. Warner is d-u-n done.

14. By Mike on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

hahaha, darren, the title made me lol

15. By Stacy Phillips on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

I think we need a First Things First Kid’s Reunion! =) How about Saturday? At the practice fields? Show all the big bucks donors the kids and families who have been impacted by their generousity. Yes, my family is a First Things First Kid participant! But I have no hidden agenda here! LOL!

16. By Billy Thomas on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I must admit, I knew the title didn’t mean that he was coming back at QB, but there was still 1% of me that hoped and thought maybe just maybe. (It still wasn’t very nice though) But it’s still nice that he’ll be at the Cards practice field to gain money for his foundation! (Maybe when he plays in this he’ll get the urge to come back……probably not…….)

17. By Lynn Gordon on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

WOW! I was hoping it was true. Kurt Warner is an AWESOME QB!! I have followed him from his days as a Ram. He will surely be missed in AZ and I will miss watching play. Best Wishes in the future Kurt!!

18. By david on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

that was dirty darren

19. By Joe-B on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Any idea of Kurt would want to go into broadcasting like Aikman and some other former players have?

20. By Justin on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Isn’t that something that Warner’s flag football charity has a better player line-up than the NFL’s Pro-Bowl?

21. By darrenurban on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Joe-B,

Kurt said he might be interested in that. But he has to have a schedule that isn’t too taxing.

22. By TucsonTim on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

It was always about the money, wasn’t it. Wasn’t it?

23. By K-DUB on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Man! I thought you meant back as a coach, that I would’ve believed.

Since Warner has not retired his number on any team yet, does that mean his number is still playable? For instance if we draft Dan LeFevour who is also #13, will he be able to take that number?

24. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub –

I am guessing the Cards will think about giving out 13 right away, but yes, it will still be available. The Cards don’t retire a lot of numbers. Aeneas Williams, for instance, is in the Ring of Honor but his No. 35 is not retired. The only retired numbers are 40 (Pat Tillman), 8 (Larry Wilson), 88 (J.V. Cain), 77 (Stan Mauldin) and 99 (Marshall Goldberg).

25. By Tbru on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

the lineup for this game is better than what was fielded for the Pro Bowl in Miami

26. By Scott H on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

Thinking comes from the head. My head knows that Kurt is d-u-n done, as you say. Hoping comes from the heart and don’t tell me there ain’t a Cardinals fan on the planet right now that doesn’t still harbor an ounce of hope that Kurt could come back for real! My Cardinal red heart has been through enough already this off-season ( on, and by the way, looks like Rolle is now about to roll right out of town ), so…back off!

27. By darrenurban on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply