A long day in Tempe

Posted by Darren Urban on March 5, 2010 – 10:49 pm

I have written more than I care to on the subject of the trio of departures today. I have barely been away from my computer since 3:30 (and I was at work all day too) and now we are headed toward 11 p.m. In reality, nothing happened today that was unexpected. The Anquan Boldin trade was long a question of when rather than if (I will have more on Boldin tomorrow, both in his reaction and a blog retrospective).

Karlos Dansby and Antrel Rolle were always possible to leave, especially Dansby. The Cards offered big money to both, and both passed. Somewhat strange, and in the end, we’ll never be exactly sure why each made the decisions they did.

What does it mean for 2010? Well, right now, the Cards aren’t as good as they were yesterday. That’s obvious, and no one is arguing. But as I have written, the Cards need to get through free agency and the draft before knowing exactly what they will have for the season. They are going to play the 2010 season and the Cards have to show up every week. No reason to give up now; they are still going to make them play.

I leave you with Darnell Dockett, the man who watched his team shift dramatically and let us know his raw emotions all day via Twitter. Dock clearly wasn’t happy. But then, after Rolle made his call to finish the 3-for-3, Dockett had this to say: “And people don’t think just because we lost some key guys that we aint gone bust heads yall trippn we coming even harder and yeah “I SAID IT.”

The season will go on.

But I won’t, at least tonight. Time for bed.

Tags: , , , ,

74 Responses to “A long day in Tempe”

1. By Nick Pepe on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I think everyone needs to take a step back and relax. When you look at the team as a whole most pieces are in place. I have been a Cards fan for 38 years, and I have more faith with this team and staff then ever before. While all lost will be missed and we should be thankful for their contributions, I truly believe they were prepared for this outcome and have a plan in place. I look forward to all the “experts” picking the Niners or Seahwaks to win the West. And Whiz and Co. to keep moving us forward.

2. By gordo on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

thanks for ur hardwork! and for keeping us informed ..

3. By Eric on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

It might take a few days for the shock value to wear off. Rolle has had stars in his eyes for awhile, it’s obvious, just the kind of guy he is. I guess NY is closer to Florida than Arizona, but does it really matter when you make that kind of mone?. I think he just wanted to play for a big time team on the east coast, with the bright lights. Dansby was goner all along and we knew it. He was solid, but never truly spectacular.

The losses will hurt in the short-term. The Cards will rebuild, probably with some stop-gap guys in free agency and build around them in the draft. Everyone just needs to take a few deep breaths and step away from the ledge right now. Great job Darren on all the coverage.

4. By Chocks21 on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Deep Down I’m sure nine-0 wants a trade. Why not were just gonna go back to our ways of getting top 10 picks every year.

5. By Potter on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I know I and a TON of other loyal Cardinal fans appreciate all your hard work today Darren, not only have you kept us in the loop but you probably talked down a couple ledge jumpers.

Not only have you been following these stories all day but you have been here with us discussing what could happen next. I almost shudder to think about it after how “Black Friday” turned out for us. But I have been completely behind the bidwell’s stance to not renegotiate contracts until their final year but I am going to start the petition here and now to lock up 9-0 now and give us something that we can see as a silver lining. Seriously Dockett is the most disruptive Dlineman in the game IMO, not to mention one of the most versatile. Get a deal done and lock him up for a number of years to come.

6. By Chris on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I have been a cardinals fan since 1983. Hardcore. How is it that the trade made your team better Coach? Those guys likely will not be better than Q combined. I understand you couldn’t sign Dansby or Rolle. Fitz sits out like a baby, and he gets big money, Q breaks his face, even after he has been lied to, what you guys did was classless.Thank your Organization for giving this Fan a Superbowl, something waited a long time for.
    However I am done being a fan of the cardinals, I am throwing away all of my cardinals gear, or ebaying it. I am going with Q to the Ravens. I understand this is a business, and people get traded, it isn’t about that. It’s about the front office being liars, and screwing over the heart and soul of this team. With these loses, I’d like to say grats early to the cardinals organization for a 6-10 finish this year. Bye.

7. By mike on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Something must be wrong that the public does not know about that both free agents left so quick. The team wanted to keep both, but it seemed they wanted out. Did the cards make a financial commitment to them at all? Just does not seem right

8. By Nathan H on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Well the Cardinals Organization has taken a big step back at the moment but let’s just hope we turn it around. Anyhow, I feel betrayed by Rolle in a sense that we gave him the oppurtunity to make his money by releasing him, and after got the offer to make his huge money we matched the offer! And he still said no, it’s sad.(thinking of ACLs about this) And Darren, do you think the Player’s Union has anything to do with this? I know they’re liking that the players are making more expensive deals and maybe this is sometype of backdoor way of gaining leverage at getting players that 60% of the profits or whatever number it is. Cuz I mean teams like the Bears, the Giants and the Dolphins are large market areas that most likely have no problem making money and therefore maybe are on the side of the Players if it will get them success this year and thus more profits. And if these teams have these large contracts then they’ll be saying that they need to up the % so that they have more money to spend on the players.So it’s like they’re prepared for almost like inflation in a sense that they make these huge deals with the players right now but know that the deals won’t be worth as much as the deals that will be getting made in the future. I came to this idea after watching Mike and Mike in the Morning when they were talking about some Minn. Twins Catcher can’t remember his name at the moment but they were talking about him wanting to take the Home Town Discount and the Players Union being upset with him because him taking the discount depresses the market for other players etc. Made me realize the affect the Union can have on player’s decisions I guess. I dunno just a thought.

9. By k. on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

you gotta love the warrior 9-0 or double d as i call him and his take the no shate attitude! cards get a long term deal done with 9-0 this off season please!

10. By Devin on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Probably the worst day I can remember as a Cardinals fan. I remember the off-season we lost both Kwamie Lassiter and David Boston and I was devastated. That was NOTHING compared to yesterday.

On a positive note, we now have our ability to chase 1 top free agent with the Dansby deal done. This could have dragged out a month and cost us our shot at a decent starter in FA. I’d like to see a move for Ryan Clark, Gibril Wilson, or Darren Sharper to replace Rolle as well as an upgrade to McFadden at CB. Foote would be servicable, but I don’t see him commanding much money, and don’t think he is too time sensitive. David Carr looks like the best available FA QB right now, but I think he’ll be too expensive for a backupQB due to that fact.

Regardless of who it is, the front office needs to ink someone within the next few days to rinse the sour taste of the last 24 hours from fans’ mouths.

Your thoughts, Darren?

11. By Tim on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Rough day indeed, Darren.

12. By Michael on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

The cards have good depth at wr, so losing Q won’t hurt too bad from a depth perspective (I will always appreciate his on-field professionalism)… Maybe the $$$ will motivate Dansby and Rolle, but I can’t see that much money making them that much better. P.S.- they weren’t ALL-PRO players. Maybe they will be (I still think they COULD be), but for almost 40 each, I wouldn’t gamble to find out. There are a lot of hungry, not-so-greedy, team-first, intelligent, and talented players out there, and those are the ones we need in AZ. To Wiz and Graves: I support your decisions, and have faith in them. ***To all the remaining, extremely-gifted Cardinals players still on our squad: You can go for the money, or you can stick with something special, which will probably get you into the playoffs most years and a shot at the highest prize in your profession. Persevere through the tough times, and you won’t regret it (although, I still think we can win the West, and more, this season). Money can buy a lot of things, but it can’t buy happiness or a championship. And this team (even without our 3 former brethren) is a joy to watch; while at the same time, being one of the most talented ones in the NFL. Good luck rolle, dansby and boldin; but it is really your loss. We have a special team, a special fan base, and a lot of amazing leaders/ people on this team, in the organization, and cheering for you all… Go Cards!

p.s.- thanks mr. darren urban, for covering the cardinals so well

13. By dioalice on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Good post Darren. It’s disapointing that Dansby and Rolle left, but the team will move on. Good teams do, and I believe for the first time in the 40 years of rooting for the Cardinals, we have the right coach, GM and Bidwill in charge.

That said, the bashers will be en force. Bottom line: the Cardinals were, as you point out, offering big money to both Dansby and Rolle… they simply opted to take similar deals elsewhere.

Remember, it’s a business. And there is no loyalty in business any longer. The past is the past and what can you do for me going forward are the mantras of business today.

14. By Wampag on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

D I own three Jerseys my newest bought last year is a Rolle, I also Have Boldin and leinhert…sometimes i feel like the kiss of death with Jerseys but I have had the Boldin for a number of years (I have a Jake Plummer too)

anyway when they trade a player you should be able to swap his jersey for someone else don’t you think its not like these jerseys arer cheap especiallyy in this economy…

anyway the loss of Boldin and Rolle (we knew dansby was gone) is monumental and as upset as i got about it my friend reminded me that i was also upset when we traded David Boston and that these things will work out
    GO CARDS Q you will be missed you were the heart lets see what happens

15. By Eric on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Man, rough day for Cards fans. All I can say is that we never had a chance to keep any of them. I had hoped the Cards could get a 2nd rounder for Boldin, but oh well. I’m glad the Boldin Drama is over now.

As for Rolle, I mean c’mon really? Highest paid in the NFL? Really Giants? Really? Seriously? I would be upset had the Cards paid him that kind of money. I bid you Adieu Antrell.

Dansby hurts a little because of being so thin at LB, but hopefully the Cards can pick up Dumerville, Bulluck or Fujita if they are still free agents.

16. By Joe Perritano on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

After yesterday there is no way I will renew my season tikets!

17. By Jeff Gollin on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I’ll try to provide balance here.

During free agency you expect to lose a few but also win a few. Yesterday we went 0 for 3 (0 for 5 if you throw in Warner and Berry; 0 for 6 if you assume Chike won;t be back). If you were visiting from Mars and took a look at yesterday’s carnage, you’d be inclined to conclude that “they blew up the playoff Cardinal roster.”

Realistically, the Cardinal roster-drain has left us with no depth at CB, thinner but OK depth and talent-wise at WR, a bit iffy in starting and backup talent and depth on the O-line, OK on the D-line and dangerously thin in talent and depth at both LB’s and FS.

But to be equally objective -Q occasionally dropped catchable passes and was injured a lot. For every big play Rolle would make, there would be one or two mental lapses that would cost us yardage, clock-time or points. And there were games where Dansby would tend to disappear (though, granted, the stats would indicate he was in on more tackles than met the eye). My point – maybe we didn’t give up as much as the media hype suggests, and maybe our young backup guys will step up to fill those voids.

Finally, I can’t wait to hear what Management’s spin will be. It was clearly a bad day for the Cardinal franchise. And BTW – I hope R, M and W don’t think bringing Larry Foote for a visit makes up for losing 3 Pro Bowl players in one day. Foote would provide good veteran leadership and lockerroom presence, but – other than being the team’s new AARP representative – is unlikely to be a season-changer.

Ciao.

JGG

PS Thank goodness for Lacrosse and MLB.

18. By crdnl85 on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren i like what DD had to say,and even though i thought Bolden was worth more.i don’t mind that trade.DOyou think it was just that the other two did not want to play nhere,or that the Cardinals simply got over bidded.

19. By Mark on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

The sky is not falling. We knew this was going to happen, it just happened all at once. Dansby and Rolle were over paid. To get top money for your position when your defense was in the bottom third in the league… I don’t get it. This was not a Reid Lewis tandum. Over paying in FA is like reaching in the draft, it always comes back to bite you and I am glad the Cards didn’t. I don’t fault any of the 3 for the money they got. We now have 6 picks in the first 4 rounds in a very strong draft. Abd we still need tos ign some FA. In May things will look good. It will be harder to win in 2010 but we knew that the moment warner Retired. Nothng has really changed in that respect.

20. By John on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

The Seahawks are about to get a deal done for Brandon Marshall teaming him up with Housh.

49ERS have 2 first rounders and may be targeting Dez Bryant to add to Crabtree

Neither team has a great QB so We better get some passrushers and The Boldin 3rd round pick better go towards a big corner like Chris Cook.

Fast fact, the Cards gave up 50 plays in the the air of over 20 yards. Not to mention 90 points in the playoffs.

Yes Rolle and Dansby hurt a bit but they didnt matter much last year. If we dont get some guys who can get after the QB in the draft, its going to be a long year. Please Cards dont think Brown , Davis, and Haggins are the answer.
    This wasnt the long day. The long day will be after a draft, where they dont get guys who can get after the QB. Lets hope that day doesnt come.

21. By Albert on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

In Whiz we trust?! I don’t beleive Q wanted to be in AZ and Cards had to know there was no way we were keeping Rolle or Dansby after they hit the market. GO CARDS!!!!!

22. By BigRedFan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

A long day is right! The mark of a true championship franchise is how they weather the storm – who steps up, and how they maintain success after key players move on. Judging by how the team has responded the past few years, I think they will get through it. Dockett believes! Playoffs 2011!

****MORE IMPORTANTLY***** with all the talk of contracts, money, etc., I personally feel that Darren Urban deserves a raise. I have no idea what Darren makes but he puts together the most imformative, readable blog of any NFL website. Not to mention he stays at work until the news for the day is over. When I come home at the end of the day the first thing my wife asks is “Well, what did Darren Urban write about today, honey?” Thanks for making this the first stop for all Cardinals realted news. Kudos, Darren!

23. By Albert on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I know Larry Foote is coming in to visit but I think we need to go with a Safety like the Rams Oshiomogho Atogwe! Larry Foote is an ex-Steeler and from what we have seen from the last 2 Steeler free agents (Haggans and Mcfadden) we should go after explosive players not affordable players? Cards have to step up and not take 2 steps back?

24. By Tim Pino on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Thank you Karlos, Antrel and Anquan for helping to bring us to our first SuperBowl ever.

Our defense gave up back to back 45 points in both playoffs games and gave up numerous big leads throughout the season. Neither Karlos or Antrel is worth nearly what they got- so its an easy decision to let them walk.

Quan is a beast but a beast who only seems to be able to play about 75% of the season. Doucet is a “baby beast” and im ready to give him (along with Matt Leinart) a shot. I still have an issue with Q arguing with Todd Haley on that final NFC Championship game drive and not taking part in the post game celebration. We now have 6 picks in the first 4 rounds of the draft as well.

The Cardinals are now in great financial shape with the salary cap. There offense will be more balanced and relying on pounding the rock & controlling the clock. The defense will be young and aggressive and built around Dockett, Wilson and DRC.

I think Graves and Whiz are doing an excellent job. Whose with me????? Darren – you feeling me- LOL ???

Go Cardinals!
    ~Tim in NJ
    (and yes i will be renewing my season tickets as i just got the renewal in the mail yesterday. If i can come from NJ to watch i expect all of you to be there too. Too much crying about nothing yesterday. We move on!!)

25. By DON CHRISTENSEN on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

IT’S HARD TO THINK THAT ANTREL ROLLE WAS WORTH MORE TO THE CARDINALS THAN ADRIAN WILSON, AND HAD THE CARDINALS PAID HIM THAT , WOULD IT HAVE SET WELL IN OUR LOCKER ROOM? IF YOU DO THE MATH, DANSBY WILL BE GETTING LESS FROM THE DOLPHINS ANNUALLY THAN HE GOT FROM THE CARDINALS IN 08 AND 09.IT LOOKS TO ME LIKE THE CARDINALS DID EVERYTHING THEY REASONABLY COULD TO KEEP BOTH OF THEM…TIME TO MOVE ONE. THE SO- CALLED EXPERTS CALL 2010 A DEEP DRAFT, SO 3 AND 4 SHOULD GET US A COUPLE PLAYERS.

26. By Jesse Robles on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Like DOCKETT Said, people are crazy if they think that it is over, like we are just going to lay down for everyone now. Yes they were great players, but a team isn’t about FOUR players it is about all of the players and we still have a lot and will continue to get more. I have my season tickets for next year, I know where I am from and I know who my team is. I guess we can finally get rid of all those bandwagon fans we aquired in our Super Bowl run, and that is good, at least we know we have our REAL FANS STILL!! GO CARDS!!! NFC WEST CHAMPS BACK TO BACK!!

27. By Jesse Robles on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

DARREN-
    Thank you for your long Friday yesterday, I really appreciate your efforts and work on keeping us fans updated. The negativity is getting old, but we will hear it until we play next year so i guess we will have to deal with it. I appreciate it though.

28. By Matt in Philly on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Whew, what rough patch. In the back of my mind, I wonder if antrel and karlos left in part because Kurt Warner wasn’t going to be behind center next year – or because Leinart will. While these losses hurt – all three being our draft picks and great guys – we have to focus on the coming transition and hope that the team spends all those extra ducets well. It will be tough to fill the gap left by dansby and rolle, but now we have the opportunity to watch the next generation of draft picks – Rashad Johnson, will Davis, Cody brown – become our new favorite defensive stallworts.

29. By Wampag on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

hey D I was reading the ravebs website about Q and they said Patriots and Chiefs were in the mix…I would love to know what kc offered? you would think with it being haley they would have gone that way unlees Q didn’t like it? do you know what was offered?

30. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Devin —

I don’t see an immediate signing. Everything was a whirlwind yesterday. Yes, the Cards and their fans need some good news. I don’t think it makes a big difference if it is today or next Thursday. Face it — if they sign Larry Foote, for example, it’s not going to help those who are killing the franchise for Friday.

31. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

BigRed —

Now THAT is a concept I can get behind.

32. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Albert —

Foote is the only visit known. But the Cards will have others. I am afraid to say this because I am sure there will be those that call me a shill for management, but patience. It’s the second day of free agency. They will add players. Will they be the same as Dansby and Rolle? Maybe not. But the Cards aren’t going into the season as currently constructed.

33. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Don’t have those details, but I am guessing they didn’t offer as much. The Cards didn’t have to make that deal yesterday so I believe the Pats and Chiefs simply didn’t want to give up the same deal.

34. By Peter in Canada on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Nick Pepe. People should relax. The Rolle Dansby and Peppers contracts are ridiculous and down the road the teams that pay them will have more regrets than the teams that lost them. As for Boldin, he is a great player when healthy but he is becoming increasingly fragile and the odometer is clicking. Plus he was standing in the way of Breaston and Doucette who are the future of the team. I trust the abilities of Graves and Whiz more than the fans who scream pay pay pay..
    I live in Toronto and our baseball team is hamstrung for a number of years because of a stupid contract handed out to Vernon Wells, which incidentally, was given because of fan pressure.

35. By Matt on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Go Cardinals! I’ll be a Fan until the end! yesterday was a rough day… but we will get some good talent with whiz! go cards!

36. By Brandon on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Dunno why the red birds couldnt at least 1st round tender Rolle or Dansby knowing they were highly coveted. That way we at least got a decent pick and a chance at replacing the position…. sigh………

37. By joebarnason on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I worked with Darren in ’89-’92 during the State Press years. I was a photographer…he gave me a Chaminade U. pencil. Good guy. He’s my go-to guy on Cards info.

38. By Cards Fan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Isn’t Larry Foote more of a Gerald Hayes type of linebacker? Who is best on 1st and 2nd downs? Dansby played the whole game in all situations. So would Foote be a good replacement? but then again, there aren’t many linebackers who can do what Dansby does, I’m just curious what they would do on 3rd down with Hayes and Foote.

Also, any chance of moving McFadden to safety? He seems physical enough to play it and had a tough time in coverage, much like Rolle used to be? Probably isn’t the playmaker Rolle is though.

39. By Billy Thomas on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I have to agree. This is the best site I have seen for an NFL team’s fans. We get updates within minutes, all the news of the day when it happens, and most importantly, we get someone by the name of Darren Urban who even answers questions we have with details from the actual coaching staff and management. If I could put in for a raise for Darren I would, because he does his job better than anyone in the NFL (of course, with this organization, that doesn’t always translate into the big money….I just had to put that in there!)

40. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

The Cardinals better start picking up some serious players to make up for what they did yesterday, but a quick note to fans, expect all the fre agents to leave Arizona because we obviously arent going to pay any of them

41. By Bill on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

OK everybody. Let’s take a step back and really look at this. Several sources have confirmed the cards offered money to Rolle and Dansby. They declined it so they could go gold digging somewhere else. The Cardinals tried to keep both of them. That’s all we can ask.

But what did we really lose?

We all knew Boldin was gone. He was my favorite Cardinal, but they can win without him. They have shown that.

Dansby- He was great even amazing but only about 3 games a year. The rest of the time he was an average LB. now he has his big contract and he will crawl in his hole and just be another guy.

Rolle – Was a serviceable safety that nullified his great plays with bonehead ones everygame. He is now the most overpaid player in the league.

Let’s see who they can bring and give them time to resign Dockett. We still will have a potent offense. I believe in Matt…but I have been fooled before.

I believe we can now sign a free agent since Dansby is gone. Stupid No CBA clause.

Our defense was not good last yeat. Maybe a shake up is what we need.

42. By Derek on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I have to agree with BigRed. Your blog is the only blog I follow. I like it where the writer answers questions instead of just posting and running. Thank You.

Anyway, I have another question.

Other than Carr and perhaps Delhomme ( Please don’t flame me!), what QBs are they looking at?

43. By James on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren I’m wondering why there is such much comparison to the offseason back in 1999 some of us remember all too well. We’ve let great defensive players go before, but I don’t think we did that. I know Dansby was a loss, but Rolle was moved to safety because he couldn’t handle the work of starting corner and to be paid over the likes of Ed Reed and Troy Polomalu is just insanity. I’ve met with Antrel many times in old town scottsdale and he’s well spoken, but what does this say about our coaching staff if anything that players would rather go and get money and play for a “contender”. I’ve seen Dansby at many of the same places and am curious if he opted for the Miami party scene more than the Dolphins. To make it in the NFC is much easier than for Miami to actually win their division and as New York I don’t think that Rolle will be anything but a bust in a Cover2 type scheme they play with their safeties high. He fit our system but i remember him watching Bush pass him by and getting burned on plenty of deep routes. I wish him well he’s a great fun guy, but sometimes you should stay with what you know. Also back to the offseason comparisons of 1999 do you even see a similarity? I see very little to none. We are going to run more, Leinart can hand off a lot better than Warner if that counts for anything we’ll run more and our offense will be great still, but Defense we get more picks now with the Boldin deal and it’s the deapest I’ve seen it at our needed positions so I feel comfortable. Correct me if I’m wrong but losing Dansby a 2nd round pick gives us a good compensatory pick right?

44. By alex u on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Larry Foote and Ryan Clark seem like very, very, very good options right now, both played for pittsburgh, both have atleast some sort of a relationship with whisenhunt, both seem like great replacements for Dansby and Rolle. by the way, Rod Hood is in FA too, haha.

45. By Logan Cooper on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Just read an article that had this to say and maybe it will make some feel a bit better about dansby leaving.

There is very little to indicate that Dansby will be a significant upgrade over the recently released Akin Ayodele. He is somewhat better at stopping the run (he has historically graded out around five percentage points higher than Ayodele in Point of Attack (POA) win percentage) but that really doesn’t mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. Inside linebackers usually see around 100-150 POA blocks a year, so a 5 percent increase here means that Dansby will stop somewhere between five to eight runs that Ayodele wouldn’t have.

46. By NJCardsFan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Friday was just plain ugly for the Az Cards and fans….
    I have a sick feeling the Cards are headed back to the days of a 4-12 season. With Warner gone the offense doesn’t have the point making capability they used to, to make up for the porous Az defense. Boldin’s departure now leaves no depth at the WR position. Rolle was a playmaker and a key loss to the defense. I can’t see the Cards defense improving at all this year…..

47. By Patrick on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

In Whiz We trust:

I can remember many plays watching Antrelle get toasted by being out of position and giving up the big play…many times. I always doubted if the 8 or 10 big plays he made in a season, made up for the dozens he gave up.

I watched Dansby turn from a slacker into a very solid player, but we went through long droughts looking for a big play from him. Sure he made lots of tackles, had a stellar game in the playoffs and is very skilled, but he was never a leader, nor an inspiration to the defense, nor a consistent big play guy.

Bottom line: neither were worth All Pro top money, yet both got top $$, and both leave holes to be filled. But the holes can be filled and the Cards have a solid brain trust making sound decisions. To have signed these guys for beyond their value would show desperation, we’re not desperate. We’re still a deep team, with lots of draft picks to fill the holes on D and this is reported to be a very deep draft on D. With 6 of the top 130 picks, Whiz and Rod will git er done.

48. By Logan Cooper on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Even your picture on the main page looks like it got tired yesterday. I don’t think you should work as hard because you might get calls from ESPN or NFL network.
    Get a little lazier so we can keep you here.

49. By Mr. Know It All on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

WOW FIRST WARNER, NOW BOLDIN,DANSBY, AND ROLLE ARE GONE!!! THE CARD’S HAVE LOST SOME REAL TALENT. IF YOU LOOK AT THE CONTRIBUTIONS THOSE PLAYERS MADE TO THIS TEAM YOU HAVE TO BE CONCERNED. I COULD ALMOST UNDERSTAND KW RETIRING, BUT THIS TEAM IS REBUILDING AND WITH MATT LEINHART AT THE HELM THESE GUYS KNEW THEY SHOULD LEAVE NOW AND GET THE MONEY THEY DESERVE. THESE PLAYERS DON’T BELIEVE MATT WILL GET IT DONE SO WHY STAY!!! THE WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY HAS CLOSED FOR THE SHORT TERM EVEN THOUGH THE NFC WEST IS STILL THERE FOR THE TAKING. I HOPE THE BEST FOR ALL OF THEM, THEY WENT TO CONTENDERS AND WILL MAKE THOSE TEAMS BETTER. IF WE DON’T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THE MOVE IN THE WRONG DIRECTION STARTED HERE!!!!!

50. By Feather on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

CARDS NATIONS NOW IS TIME TO SEE WHO THE REAL FANS ARE. AFTER WE WENT THE THE PLAYOFFS IN 98′ WE GOT RID OF SOME BIG NAMES. NOW ITS BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER. NINE O NEEDS A BIG CONTRACT. WE DONT NEED ANY MORE DEFUNCT EX STEELERS. MCFADDEN CERTAINLY DIDNT WORK FOR US. LETS GO GET SOMEONE WORTH IT. THESE OLE LINBACKERS NEED TO GO. THIS IS NOT A RETIREMENT HOME FOR OVER THE HILL LB’S

51. By TucsonTim on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

OK I can be one of the most negative guys on this board, but these so called Cardinal fans are unbelievable. So much gloom and doom. The Cardinals are going to be just fine. These guys are all replaceable.

I love Boldin but look at the last two years. We did fine without him. Do you think he will be faster, less injury prone next year. We were lucky to get a 3 and a 4.

How many pro bowls do you think Dansby will be going to with the mighty Dolphin defense to showcase his skills.

Time will tell about Rolle. He’s an exciting player, but thanks John for the reminder: 50 plays over 20 yards, 90 points in 2 playoff games. There’s more to worry about than the departure of 2 starters. Hopefully, the new DB coach can help fix a seriously broken secondary. (maybe even compete for DC, Whiz says he likes to see people compete for their jobs!)

I’m sure Rosenhaus convinced a financially naive Rolle that he needed every nickle he could squeeze to pay off his back taxes; I just hope he gets better financial advice in NYC and he should start by checking Rosenhaus’s tab.

52. By CardsRep928 on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I am with you tim…over at Revenge of the Birds they have shirts that say “In Whiz we trust” I believe, and great points about rolle’s big plays…they dont outweigh the bad plays less we not forget he was a bust at what he was drafted too do sliding him too free safety was so they could get something out of him through his rookie deal, and well dansby isnt the type of LB we need in a 3-4 he is best suited as an outside 4-3 LB…his blitzing was sub par and well for you nay sayers and bandwagon jumpers…SUCK IT…The dolphins and giants should have learned from the texans…anyone remember antonio smith? Oh yeah that’s right the front office drafted his replacement and can anyone tell me Calais isnt an upgrade? Dockett can go when his contract is up or we can trade him so he can get paid as well…The FO pays the guys who shut up and produce…look at Fitz and Wilson…Campbell is the next player to get a whopper on defense. Darren can you please name one of your blogs in the upcoming months to “Enter the era of Cardinals Smashmouth?” Im begging ya. Watch the steelers they wont be any better this year than last year. The rooneys must be kicking themselves for not promoting from within. Just look at what Whisenhunt has done here so far people. We will see what we saw in 07 except we now have a legit rushing attack and not ol’ 2.5 james. IN WHIZ I TRUST!!!!!

53. By Alberto on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Dansby and Rolle? screw them. Beanie Wells is gonna run over them and stiff arm them. Watch out

54. By Brian R. on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

God, we shouldve offered a mil more for Rolle, we need him the most. We will always miss his talent, even on special teams… To the Cards organization, get your heads out and start paying.

55. By Mike on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Sorry if you have already touched on this but with Rolle leaving is there any talk of possibly looking at Darren Sharper to replace him?

56. By Eric on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Good job, Darren.

You’re not a “shill for management”. You’re someone who isn’t about to jump off a bridge because we lost a couple of slightly-better-than-average players. I have hope, as well. The Cardinals will draft well, young players will step-up, there will be a few solid veteran free agents brought in to help out, and the Cardinals will contend for the NFC West Division Championship once again.

57. By wayne on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe we lost all three, something was going on behind close doors. I don’t understand why you leave the 2 time nfc west champs. We have lost way to much, I dont think we can make it up.
    GONE:
    WARNER, BERRY, DANSBY, ROLLE, BOLDIN and possibly others. Im sorry to say this but if WARNER stays they all stay, they dont trust MATT as our new QB. Where is are defense, I am sorry but we just lost 5 FXXXXXG starters. Is it back to the BOTTOM again? I hope not!

58. By ryan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

With the rule of eight for UFA’s, exactly how many UFA’s can the Cards presently sign this off-season ?
    TY

59. By Mr. Know It All on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

HEY LARRY FITZ YOU ARE THE GUY NOW. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEE WHAT YOUR STATS WILL BE THIS TIME NEXT YEAR. YARDS AFTER CATCH!!!!!! YAC THAT IS!!!! HA HA

60. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Brandon —

Neither were restricted so tender restrictions couldn’t be placed upon them.

61. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Cards Fan —

I don’t know the specifics of how it will fit together yet. They just found out they weren’t getting Dansby, so this will be a process.

62. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

James —

It might, but it depends on how Dansby plays and what FAs the Cards sign.

63. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

I doubt it. Sharper is older; I’d guess they’d want to go younger at the position.

64. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Ryan —

The rule of 8 isn’t going to affect the Cards. They can now, with Dansby leaving, sign two players with first-year salaries of more than $5.5 million and as many as they want with salaries of more than $3.7 M.

65. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

Good question. If they are released, they might have interest in Bulger or Anderson.

66. By Potter on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

It kills me that 3 of our franchise’s faces have departed but it kills me even more to watch all these “faithful” fans talking about deserting our team. I was a very loyal cowboys fan until i heard they were thinking about signing T.O. in free agency. I swore I would never cheer for a team that employed him. I found my way to the desert and i could not be happier watching the cardinals every sunday from my home in Maryland. Yesterday hurt but it is not the end of the world. All the best teams have their pro bowl talent raided in free agency but they find a way to bounce back.

And everyone wants to complain that the Bidwells are cheap for not paying above top $ for dansby and rolle, we offered them similar if not equal contracts as the teams they signed with. I think not making them the top paid linebacker & safety was smart. I genuinely believe a salary cap will make some sort of return and what happens then, if we had signed them we would be severely hurting for cap space to fill a roster. We still have incredible talent and more depth than any other team in the NFL. We will be okay I promise.

And so what if we didnt resign 2 starters on a defense that gave up back to back 45 point playoff games. My last impression of Rolle is the first play of OT against Green Bay where Rodgers just barely overthrew Jennings. But who was the cardinals defender flat on his back while Jennings almost made the game winning catch??? That would be Antrel Rolle. He was a playmaker and a game changer, but he was a bust at cornerback, and inconsistent as a safety. And I agree with whoever said it earlier, Dansby is not the 3-4 MLB we need, he is perfect as a 4-3 OLB. Their departures hurt but when all the dust is settled, we will be glad they arent on our roster taking up 15+ million a year between them.

True Cards fan unite, In Whiz I trust!

67. By Ron on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I know I am not the only one who is upset with this but do have a guess as to when the FO is gonna come out of theyre fetal position and let us know what theyre plan is and why Q went so cheap. Until I see a litght at the end of this gloomy tunnel I will not renew my tickets. Thanks and keep up your great work.

68. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

As I said in a blog yesterday that Darren stayed up extra late to read and respond to,( Thank you, by the way Darren for your dedication to the fans, you may need the raise after this off-season). Good luck Anquan, Good riddens Antrelle and Karlos. We lost Antonio Smith last year and did not skip a beat. The one main thing that has stayed in tact this year is the coaching staff. Uh-Rah!! We still have quite a bit of talent. I will be keeping my eye however on Early Doucet. Not only does he have big shoes to fill, but one hell of a number to follow. (HOFer, Jerry Rice, I’ve got his Jersey too) I still think however that coach Whiz reconsiders and gives up a majority of offensive calls to someone else. That’s alot of pressure, however that being said, I have to agree with a local radio host here in tucson. The best move made this off-season was the extension of Ken Whisenhunt!! I still believe we have a ton of talent, and massive brain pans at the helm. I am sure this years draft will be a success. I am looking forward to watching the draft. Darren, with the exception of the 5th round pick we gave up, how many picks do the Cards have this year. I am really looking forward to the 1st pick. I am curios which way they will go. I love Dockett’s attitude!! 4 players don’t make a team!! I believe we are going to be just fine. As for our quaterback situation, I believe we have a good starting QB!! No he is no Kurt Warner, but then again who is? I believe it’s going to be a long while before we see anyone like Kurt again. Matt, don’t try to follow in Warner’s footsteps. Be your own man, your own player. Believe in yourself and you are going to be just fine. I am excited fot this upcoming year!! I welcome all comment’s positive and negative, that includes you Darren. Until next time!! Go Cards!!!!

69. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Ron —

I can’t answer everything specifically, I am afraid. Their plan, as they said before free agency, was to be the same as it has been the past few offseasons. I never expected any splashy signings. They offered deals worth about $8.5 million a year to Dansby and about $7 million to Rolle. Those guys turned it down. As for Boldin, he wasn’t worth more than those picks, not anymore. No team was surrendering a second for Boldin. And as Whiz and Boldin both said, it was time for him to move on.

70. By TucsonTim on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Eric-

Do you think we need to take a time out and hope for a little reason here. Dansby is gone and good luck with that Parcels. How many high priced free agents have turned around a franchise. Maybe they have sold a few more season tickets, but get real man.

Rolle was a bust at CB because he has no discipline. He’s an exciting play maker who couldn’t field punts, maybe his agent told him that was dangerous to his career, and now he can play in the cold of NYC. Hope you have enough $ after paying Rosenhaus for essentially no net gain to pay your taxes, and by the way Mr. Rolle, I think NYC has a little higher tax base than PHX. AMF

71. By Scott H on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Well, this certainly does suck. Damn, has anything gone right for this team so far this off-season??? Ok, there was the extension for Whisenhunt. AND??? If there was anything else, I missed it. The departures are FAR out-weighing anything else and the team that went to a Super Bowl only a year ago is now nowhere to be found. I repeat, this really sucks. Hope is always important but as a fan of this team right now, hope has gone from a dangerous thing to have to completely useless. I hoped Warner would stay, he left. I hoped Rolle would stay, he’s gone. I hoped for something to happen that would keep Boldin in Arizona, he’s now a Raven. Had hope it might work out with Dansby, and he’s outta’ here, too. What’s the point of hoping for anything else at this point??? Despite those encouraging words from Dockett ( one of the few recognizable players left on this team at this point ), this organization better start to realize how this plays with the other guys on the team. How happy do you think Larry Fitzgerald is right now, despite what he might say publicly??? With the loss of Warner and now Boldin, this team has lost a lot more talent, heart, and toughness than they are ever going to be able to replace before the season starts. Barely a year after a Super Bowl appearance, I wasn’t expecting a fire sale but that’s what we’re seeing. I also wasn’t expecting to feel disgusted again this soon, but I am. Anyone else?

72. By NYCARDSFAN on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

You “team jumpers” are pathetic. Hurry up and get on Nfl shop and order your new romo jerseys! Better yet….How bout a brees jersey. It aint the end for the cards. And yea…sometimes its hard to be a cards fan, especially in NY where there might be 3 or 4 of us. Cant wait for you phoneys to get off our site. Go dig through darrens posts back when warner retired and you can get your full instructions on how to jump off the bandwagon. As for the rest of us that continue to wear red and white, PROUDLY…keep your chins up and your cardinal flag a wavin! We are taking the NFC Champion title 3 years in a row. “The Whiz” will set us up to win. Thanks Boldin for giving us some great plays, but I thank Early and Fitz for what they have done and what they are gonna do. As for you Los and Rolle…thanks for everything. Good luck in NY and Miami. Youre gonna need it.

73. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

With all that salary now gone, I hope the Dockett extension gets done sooner than later, but I’m guessing it won’t happen in 2010 given the very real possibility of a lockout in 2011.

Dockett still wants to play for the Cards which is more than we can say for Dansby, Rolle, and Boldin. That has to be worth something. I just hope ownership doesn’t end up pushing Dockett beyond the point of no return like they did with Q. The Q saga was really hard for long-time fans to watch the past two years. To be fair to management though, I’m sure Q (or more likely, Rosenhaus) made some missteps in the player/management relationship that we will never know about.

Hopefully if any lessons were to be learned during the Q debacle, management will use them and handle the Dockett extension request better than they did Q’s.

74. By Scott H on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

NYCARDSFAN,
    Cool it, dude. Yes, I am bitter right now about the way this off-season is going but I’m not going anywhere. The Cardinals are my team and if being a fan means anything, it means having the right to be passionate about your team. I became a fan when this team was playing in Busch Memorial Stadium in St Louis and Don Coryell was the head coach. I’m pretty sure I’ve suffered through enough 4-12 & 5-11 seasons ( more than you, I’ll bet ) that I’ve earned the right to sound off when I don’t like what I’m seeing. That said, hang in there up in New York. I’m right below you in New Jersey and you don’t find many friendly faces out here!