Could Karlos stay?

Posted by Darren Urban on March 5, 2010 – 7:55 am

As I get started on my day, there was this interesting tweet from Jason LaCanfora from nfl.com: “ Arizona making a strong push to retain LB Karlos Dansby.”

Well now, that would be interesting, wouldn’t it?

Dansby, meanwhile is saying his “gate is wide open.” To me, that’s again code for, “I am receptive to whichever team wants to pony up.” Could that be the Cards? It certainly would get some Cards’ fans off the ledge. In that case, it’d be a good thing if ‘Los didn’t hurt his ACL getting off the plane today.

Safety Antrel Rolle, meanwhile, is visiting the New York Giants first, while Kent Somers is reporting backup safety Matt Ware is visiting an unnamed NFC West team. Possibly losing two safeties? Yikes. A-Dub could get lonely back there. All along, GM Rod Graves said Rolle was a top priority to keep, especially with Dansby likely out. Maybe, given the markets developing for the two, the Cards realize they have a better chance/are more willing to invest in Dansby going forward. I’m sure they’d like to keep at least one. Given that most everyone — including me — felt Dansby was gone for sure, it’d be quite the development if he stays.

Then again, that’s no lock — and again, another reason while you can’t get emotional with the ups and downs of free agency. You wait until after the draft, see what your team’s roster has, and — if you are a fan — then get upset if you think things look bleak. But on March 5? Not so much.

Tags: , ,

42 Responses to “Could Karlos stay?”

1. By SmoothCardGa on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I’m just gonna have to try in my hometown guy (Koach K) and Graves. It looks “grimm” now but until the preseason starts I’ll have to wait before I step on the diving board. This might be a good thing, I thought we lacked speed and athleticsm in the LB corps and defensively overall. If we get that pass rush to be more consistent off the edge the a good portion of our defensive woes will be solved there… The Draft is still a big thing though, but this is the NFL, someone has to step up…

2. By John on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Very surprising. I thought no way does that happen. Of course, it hasnt. The Dolphins may not let him leave without a deal done.
    Was this the plan all along or a change in heart ?

3. By cards fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Interesting on Ware, Johnson better be ready to go, I guess…. Are Urban and Spach gone?

4. By Dan Crowell on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, if Karlos would resign and Rolle would be signed elsewhere, we would not be able to sign a free agent since Rolle was cut. Is this correct? Also, Darren Sharper was cut I believe so it would be ok to resign Karlos and then sign Sharper to take Rolle’s spot. That would give us some time to develop a younger safety. What do you think? According to Dockett’s tweet, Rolle has been offered a large sum of money bu someone. Do you think it’s the cards or another team? We don’t want to upset Dockett so that he doesn’t want to resign when his contract is up. I just hope the Bidwell’s want to do what’s right and pay the players what they deserve.

5. By raul on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

darren-

Do you see the cards making a run at TE Greg Olsen, via trade (Boldin) now that they just signed manumaleuna?

6. By David Corcoran on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Brilliant line about the ACL, I dont think that fan really meant it yesterday. Personally I think losing Ware would be disastrous, he really freed up A-Dub to be most active in run support, where he thrives.

7. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Allowing your starting ILB and your starting S (and competent backup) to walk? I just don’t see Rod Graves and Coach Whiz letting all three of those guys slipping away. But then again, they know a lot more about these players than I do.

Good point Darren about the evolving and very real scenario of loosing those three players possibly forcing the Cards to spend more than what they considered market value for Karlos to keep him a Cardinal. Karlos now has more leverage in his negotiations with Cards (and competing teams) than he did last month. I hope the Cards can make it workout for Dansby – I’m just glad I won’t be the one writing the check for $30,000,000.

Given the big contract stumbles Rod Graves made early on as GM, and how they limited his ability to deal for players in recent years, I’m sure he’s going to be more more than nervous to guarantee a huge payday when there is no guarantee that a salary cap won’t be reinstated when the new CBA is reached. To be in that kind of potential salary cap bind again in 2011 with the Card’s future as bright as it is, could be devastating.

It promises to be a very interesting and entertaining day!

8. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Cards fan —

Urban and Spach aren’t gone for sure, but the team obviously didn’t want to tender them offers worth more than $1 million. In both cases, I think they will seriously look around; for both, they weren’t playing the second half of the season and that’s something both want to do.

9. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Dan —

Didn’t see Dockett’s tweet about a lot of money. He just said he was speechless about something (a lot of money could get Darnell tongue-tied). I don’t know about Sharper. He’s going to want to get paid. But your plan makes some sense.

10. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Raul —

The problem with Olsen is he isn’t much of a blocker, and that’s what Whisenhunt wants at the position.

11. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

David —

Agreed on Ware. I think he is an important piece and the Cards felt his absence when he was hurt.

12. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

I know you never wanted to believe it, but all signs pointed to Karlos getting big jack. Who knows. Maybe it won’t be $30M guaranteed.

You can formulate a contract that pays big up front so it won’t hurt the team in the future with a potential salary cap. The problem is most teams don’t want to front-load deals into 2010 when that player may not work for them in 2011 with a work stoppage.

13. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Gary Brackett just resigned with Indy for five years (nfl.com – 3/5, 10:46 am EDT).

14. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

I saw that. He only got $12 million in guarantees. Check that: it’s a $12M signing bonus, so the guarantees are larger. Still, it’s not going to be close to $30 M, so it doesn’t help Karlos much — which, for the Cards, is a good thing.

15. By gordo on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

darren
    u heard anything about some free agents coming in for a visit

16. By gordo on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

and what about sheppard

17. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Gordo —

I don’t expect any visits until next week, and usually the Cards don’t let out that info until the day before.

18. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Gordo —

If he came he he’d be signed later, I’d guess.

19. By Pay Dockett! on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

the cards better not pay to much money for him. take a chance with the LB’s that got injured last season

20. By 949cardsfan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Don’t be to suprised if Dansby and Rolle both end up back with the Cards. Dansby’s heads in the clouds, he’s way off as far as how good he thinks he is. (Somebody tell Dansby’s agent to quit lying to him.) And Rolle is doing what he has do to, its what we all would do, its testing his worth, he has to put his feelers out there. Nobodies giving him more than $6 mill a year. He’ll be back. Now, Graves, trade Q for a 1st or early 2nd, and draft 8 defensive players. Defensive playing time needs to be wide open this summer, other than 90, ADub, and DRC, every other defensive player has to win a job.

21. By gordo on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

is the card phone ringing for boldin yet?

22. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Do you think Pepper’s contract will factor into what Karlos gets if Pepper’s signs before Karlos? I’d expect that Peppers will get the biggest deal.

Excellent point about the Brackett deal not helping Karlos’ quest for $30 million. I’m guessing Karlos would like to see Peppers sign first and post a big $$$ amount that Karlos can try to leverage off of.

If teams play market value for players — which is what I’ve been campaigning/advocating for all along — then I have much more hope for us securing Karlos at a price the team can afford without possibly handcuffing the team regarding contracts for other players.

If teams approach FA this year like they do the draft, where most all contracts are determined in relation to the amount the #1 pick signs for, then I think are hopes are less in retaining Karlos as he’s the #2 “pick” in this year’s FA class. This scenario would be more inline with your proposition that Karlos is getting to get money-whipped because he has the fortune of being the second-best player in this year’s limited FA pool rather than his market value being determined relative to the compensation of his NFL colleagues at the ILB position.

23. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

Peppers’ deal will have zero impact on Karlos. Teams — unless it’s a special, special player — use comps from other similar players to negotiate. That’s why when the Cards first tried to extend Dansby a couple years ago, they were talking about Lofa Tatupu and Lance Briggs at the time. It’s why Rolle is aiming for an $8M average, because that’s a tad higher than safeties make.

No, Dansby’s market will be based on the Bart Scott and Calvin Pace, not Peppers. Apples and oranges. The timing shouldn’t matter between the two, either way.

24. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Good. That’s what I wanted to hear.

25. By Logan Cooper on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

If you see whiz or graves tell them i said it is very important to sign Lito Sheppard and trade Boldin for Greg Olsen. That would fill a need at corner and tight end then we can fill our linebackers in the draft.

This would be a great turn of events if this were to happen.

Could you see this happening?

26. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

I’ll get right on that.

27. By Logan Cooper on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Good cause I couldn’t reach them on there cells. :)

More on a serious note.
    Could you see this scenario happening?

28. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

I just don’t see Olsen here. He is not the blocker Whisenhunt likes at that position.

29. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Logan –

If Lito Sheppard wasn’t good enough for the J-E-T-S, why do you think he would be good enough for the Cardinals?

Same thing for Gibril Wilson who was released by the Dolphins today.

30. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Have you heard anything about a possible interest in Jamal Williams?

31. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

Have not. But it’s early.

32. By Lawrence Miller on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, since the Cards are limited in free agency by the “Rule of Eight”, are they allowed to sign Karlos if they have to spend more than the 5.7 million exemption? Or is he an exception because we’re the team he was last with. Thanks.

33. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Lawrence —

You are correct. Any of the final 8 rules don’t apply to a team’s own free agents.

34. By Andrew on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

This is a terrible tease…

I was really starting to accept Dansby being gone but now I’m sucked back in with a small bit of hope!!!

35. By Logan Cooper on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Ottis,
    By saying get Lito i am not saying get him because he will be a shutdown corner.
    He is an upgrade to McFadden and Adams and brings more depth to our secondary. It is not that he wasn’t good enough for the jets they just picked up cromartie and they have younger cb’s that they want to develop and with Sheppard there that hinders it.

It would be great to have another veteran in the secondary. He is also (when healthy) very good at man to man.

36. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

First of all, is he an upgrade? I could argue the other way for the Jets — they were willing to take a risk in taking Cromartie because Sheppard wasn’t cutting it.

37. By christian on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

why dont we talk to dunta robinson from the texans hes way better then mcfadden matter of fact i think we should jus try to get rid of him in a trade or let greg toler take his sop but isnt e gettin 5 million in total with his contract? also what about scott fujita as linebacker?

38. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Christian —

I like Fujita as a possibility if Dansby leaves, but maybe Karlos won’t now. This team isn’t going after Robinson.

39. By John on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I’m with Mike,
    Cards need to put Big Jamal Williams on their radar. I know he up in age and has had injuries, so there is a risk, but I would take that risk.
    Lito Sheppard is a nickelback at best now. I would rather see if Toler could take over.
    Gibril Wilson could add depth but dont like him as a starter. Ryan Clark is a better choice. But a couple of FA I’m wondering about besides Jamal; Since we will look at that 2nd and third tier;
    *Reggie Kelly TE cards liked him 2 years ago
    *Jeremi Johnson FB- big fullback to lead the way for Beanie
    *Maake Kemoeatu- Injury-out for season last year- Do you know his status- could be a nice NT.
    Ryan Clark FS

Got any info, think Cards have intrest in these 4 ?

40. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

John —

If Rolle leaves, I would be surprised if they didn’t look into Clark. We’ll see on the others.

41. By Logan Cooper on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Upgrade. Lito is a known ball hawk.
    Cromartie is younger and isn’t as injury prone, that’s why they took the risk.
    Would the cardinals take Cromartie over McFadden if they had the chance?

These are career statistics ill put Rodgers Cromartie in because it will show how good he is.

Interceptions per game:
    Lito Sheppard .21
    Bryant McFadden .08
    Rodgers Cromartie’s .37

Lito has also played in twice as many games in his career so he is consistent.

Pass deflections per game:
    Lito Sheppard .63
    Bryant McFadden .64
    Rodgers Cromartie 1.6

Bryant has the edge but add 3 more years and that stat will drop. With that high of passes deflected and that low of int. rate is not too good.

Career int. Since 2005
    Lito Sheppard 13
    Bryant McFadden 7
    Rodgers Cromartie since 08 10!!!

Games started since 05
    Lito Sheppard 46
    Bryant McFadden 34
    Rodgers Cromartie 27

Since lito has more starts since 05 and taking McFadden int per game stat he would have .96 more interceptions if he had 46 starts.

Rodgers Cromartie is amazingly good and his starts are really not that far behind McFadden.

Lito’s man to man coverage is better and could you imagine

Rodgers Cromartie, Lito Sheppard, Bryant McFadden, Greg Toler

At safety Ryan Clark* and Adrian Wilson.

That would be an amazing secondary.

All of this is why I think lito would be an upgrade and at the right price would be an amazing pick up.

*WISHFUL THINKING.

42. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

You deserve to be right just with all the legwork.