• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Dockett says Rolle picks Giants UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on March 5, 2010 – 8:09 pm

Darnell Dockett is breaking news: He just tweeted Antrel Rolle is signing with the Giants.

“I talk to antrell rolle and I’m happy for him and his family! He will be a giant, I wish him sucess and healt to the fullest that my dawg!” Dockett said.

I suppose it’s the perfect ending to a rough day for the Cards. Not one of the three moves are a surprise. To have them all happen in one day … Yikes.

ESPN is reporting Rolle got five years, $37 million, including $15 million guaranteed. That’s a lot of money for Rolle, and Adam Schefter said it makes Rolle the highest-paid safety in NFL history — so take that for what it’s worth. UPDATE: And I am hearing, as crazy as it sounds, the Cards were offering basically the same deal. Rolle just chose New York.

Tags: ,

131 Responses to “Dockett says Rolle picks Giants UPDATE”

1. By KIngoftheStreets on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

what u think about delhomme to cards…. possible?
    im not a fan but think he is best available …

2. By CARDSFAN1178124 on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

KWAMIE, GET YOUR PADS READY! WE NEED YOU.

3. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Well we have lost so much play makers today it seems like we are starting all over again? I guess we couldnt keep all of them but we didnt get anything from Dansby and Rolle? not even a draft pick? Man this sucks to lose this much!!!

4. By Zack Potter on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Ouch….this stung…what at night :(

5. By John on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Wow.. Rolle 5yrs $37Million. More power to him. I know a lot of people are going to say Cards are cheap and wouldn’t spend, but if they had paid Dansby and Rolle what they wanted, what a salary hit to the team.

Hopefully Cards take care of Dockett now and not wait a year. I’d like to also see them go after some serviceable veterans and and add some young depth to the defense. I think the offense will be fine as is.

6. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

King –

Delhomme is possible.

7. By Dimito Sesma on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Stop! I can’t take it anymore. Darren can you do a feel good story about a current Cardinal whom actually likes being a Cardinal? Please I’m about ready to hang myself….sheesh!

8. By jsev on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

March 5, 2010 Black Friday for the Cards. It will take some time to recover from this day. Regardless of how well Graves drafts and Whiz coaches.

9. By Adam on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

With Antrel gone and a rather depleted secondary, do you think the Cardinals will go after Ryan Clark? He has to be the best remaining FS free agent out there. And we know Whiz can’t pass up those ex-steelers!

10. By B-rad on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Delhomme? I hope not!!! He was let go because of a huge lack if talent. I think the Cardinals caused post traumatic stress syndrome during the play-offs the season before last. Panthers released him with a huge paycheck for a reason, he isn’t a winner.

11. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

If there is any lesson to be learned is, there are teams willing to pay if we fail to step up, so in the future, dont let any good player test the market! Take care of them if possible!!! Dockett should have his contract redone now!!!

12. By Tyler Comella on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I just dont understand this if they knew they were going to trade boldin and they knew that los was going why wouldnt the cards just pay antrel his roster bouns we just lost three of our best players and have abousloute nothing to show for. Our coach and our gm get contract extention but the players dont whiz need the extention but right now graves is doing nothing and wont pay the players the money they should get. I just dont understand how you let three of your core guys let go in 1 day

13. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

John –

As I mentioned in the updated blog, the Cards actually offered basically the same package. That’s unbelievable to me, although it shows how much the Cards didn’t want to lose everyone today.

14. By Potter on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

We gave A-Dub the deal we did last year and kept saying we werent gonna give Rolle the same money we gave wilson. But we all knew someone one would be foolish enough to do it. Im not sure he is worth being the highest paid safety ever but then again i am not an NFL G.M.

This goes to show why I am happy we have Whiz and Rod Graves steering this ship. I do not blame them or the Bidwells for releasing Rolle and everything. I blame the previous GM for negotiating and giving out those ridiculous contracts. Whiz and Graves have been leading us into a very positive direction and this may be a very dark day but i know our Coach and GM will shine in bringing in some very capable talent.

Just remember all, this is what happens when a team has success and players finally get the spotlight place squarely on them, their quality young players leave for the almighty $. Good teams find a way to move on and retool their team. This is just a transition year. I dont see the Cardinals of old coming back

15. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Adam –

I can definitely see them looking at Clark.

16. By John on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

“Delhomme is possible.” Really? After last years performance? It was the Cardinals that started his downhill fall. I just can’t see him coming here.. or better yet.. I can’t see the fans not revolting if this happened. I’d rather have Josh McCown than Delhomme.

I did notice that Kansas picked up Palko. I liked him last year in preseason. Was kinda hoping Cards would get him.

17. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Tyler –

That’s an easy answer. If they paid the roster bonus, Rolle would have just told them I’m just going to play for my $8 million this season and become a free agent after the season, and the Cards would have been stuck. They had no choice in many ways, and as I said, they upped their offer to basically match the Giants. He wanted to leave apparently.

18. By Ruben R on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

WOW WHAT I BAD DAY I GOT TO GO KICK MY DOG FOR A LITTLE BIT JUST TO FEEL BETTER

19. By Cardinal Nation on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, have you heard anything on the grapevine about possible replacements for both Rolle and Dansby? Do you think it will be a case of bringing in someone to start, or do you think that Whisenhunt will turn the reigns over to some of the younger players like Rashard Johnson and Ali Highsmith?

20. By Tyler Comella on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Well with rolle gone does this mean that the cardinals will visit with gaberial wilson. I know this is a long shot and i really dont want to bring this up but darren sharper could help the cardinals out although i dont think he will leave the saints but he could help jonhson out alot

21. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Cardinal Nation –

They are bringing in Foote at linebacker. At safety, we will see. Clark maybe. Right now, I’m just trying to catch my breath about the day.

22. By Potter on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Who cares about delhomme?

Not to be rude but what is bringing in a backup quarterback going to do for our starting defense(which now more than before needs the most help).

PS. I would much prefer Carr, he proved to be a very capable backup to Eli Manning. Opposed to Delhomme who struggled mightily as the Panthers starter

23. By Billy Thomas on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I cannot believe we just lost 3 of the biggest playmakers in the NFL. I mean who’s left? Fitzy, Dockett, A-Dub, DRC, and Beanie? Yes, those are some great names, but this is not a good path. I mean, Dockett is showing us now that he will be leaving when it is his turn. Also, now the Cards have shown they are willing to forego talent for savings, which makes all of the players wary of their future contracts, I have to say, I don’t know how any of us can stand behind the management after a day like today…..

24. By Chad D on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I am hurting man. This is the first offseason in 5 or more that I honestly feel we are getting worse rather than better. I know the reasons behind each of the deals that happened today, but I can’t help but to feel sad/frustrated at the talent we are watching leave. Rolle, Warner, Berry, Dansby, and BOLDIN. Of course this is a part of football, but usually not so much in such a short time. Talk about a reset button, Graves just hit it and there is no looking back. Tell me some news about someone bigger than Larry friggin’ Foote coming in to join our skeleton of a team.

25. By Jesse Robles on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Today did suck, these guys are great and I am going to miss them. We had our only Super Bowl with these guys. I just don’t think Dansby and Rolle are worth what they were asking. Rolle is higher paid then Wilson, Palamalu, Reed? That saves the Cards a lot of money, and all we can do is move on from this point.

26. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I cant believe Rolle didnt want to stay?? Well at least we know the organization was trying! Thank you Darren for keeping us posted!!
    Today I feel like I was knocked out from a punch I didnt see coming!!! Wow what a day!

27. By Andre on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

We lost Rolle, so what. I’m not so sure he was worth it anyways. I’d now like to and expect to see Docketts contract extended. I know some good players have to be let go etc. however Dockett is something special and we need to take care of those kinds of players. We now have mula to spend. I trust whiz and graves to do good and grab good free agents and draft picks.

28. By Steve on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Rolle became the highest paid safety ever!! (BTW, I love Rolle, but not worth that kind of money)

And the Cards were going to match it!!

This isn’t about money. The only thing I can think is players are afraid the Cards run is done with Warner leaving and want to get to a team on the rise.

29. By Joe-B on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

The Cardinals offered him the same thing? COME ON MAN!

I’m gonna go cry with Dockett.

30. By Andre on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

(Laughing) I bet Nine-O is starting to smell the green after what’s been happening.

31. By Jeff Gollin on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

It’s hard under these circumstances to be the voice of reason. Bottom line is that five Cardinals (Warner, Berry, Boldin, Dansby and Rolle) didn’t want to be here, and we should ask ourselves “why?”

And if we can figure out the answer, we should fix it.

Right now, it’s really painful being a Cardinal fan. (come to think of it, it can’t be all that thrilling today being a player). I wonder if Cardinal ownership understand that their fan base needs a couple of positive things to happen – going 0 fer 5 is really demoralizing.

32. By Ruben R on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I REMEMBERED A RADIO INTERVIEW WITH ADRIAN WILSON JUST AFTER THAT SEASON WAS OVER WHERE HE WAS TALKING ABOUT THAT FUTURE AND ALL THAT QUESTIONS THAT HE HAD NOW THAT INTERVIEW MAKES ALOT MORE SENSE TO ME.AT LEAST WE STILL HAVE THAT RAMS AND THAT SEAHAWKS IN UR DIVISION

33. By Billy Thomas on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I don’t know exactly what the FA pool looks like right now, but it seems like the big talent (mostly OUR big talent) is pretty much gone. How in the world can the Cardinals ever hope to replace what they lost today? I mean Boldin has “replacements” (they’re not Boldin, but Breaston and Doucet are still very good), but what about Rolle and Dansby? In a year with all of these changes, do you honestly think the Cardinals have much of a playoff shot (keeping in mind it is still very early)?

34. By Disgruntled Cardinals Fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Is Larry Foote supposed to make up for losing Karlos? Can Breaston really play the #2? Rashad Johnson isn’t even ready and we got major holes in the secondary already. Not to mention we lost 3 recognizable faces. I feel like we lost our offensive identity with the loss of Warner and Q and ou defensive identity with Karlos and Rolle.

In Whisenhunt we trust. In Graves? Er, not so much. I feel like we are starting all over and our play-off run was only 2 years!

35. By Keith on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

THIS BLOWS!!!!

36. By Rich on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

What are the Cards supposed to do, make all their players the highest paid in histoty? Come on, Rolle is good but just a year ago everybody was saying he was a 1st roun bust for not being able to handle corner…now he’s the higest paid safety in history. Gimme a break! Sign Foote, draft a stud LB. Gotta sign Ware now and anoher veteran safety. The d backs will look alot better if we can get some push up front with a pass rush. we need a big time pass rusher!

37. By Andre on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Jeff Gollin

Two of them retired, We traded one because we’re stacked at the position and it was good business, One of them was too old to be paying big bucks, And ONE of them didn’t want to stay. It sucks? Sure, but I’d rather have an unproven player battle it out at any position than over pay a single player.

38. By Paul on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Thanks for the long day that you have put in today and taking the heat of the fans. Most of us realize that your job is to be the conduit between the team and the fans and that your not the target of our frustration. Keep up the good work. I come to the site several times a day to check for new postings. I know, I should get a hobby at least for the off season.

39. By SeeingRed on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

If it’s true the Cards were offering a similar deal and he chose NY then this is a loss that I can definitely live with..talented player but not worth that kind of money-definitely not the highest paid ever?? He struggled mightily at corner then finally made the switch to safety and did a pretty DECENT/SOLID job (though I was looking for more consistency). Also, I still have mental images of times he missed tackles and blew coverages. I think NY was just impressed with that hit he put on their TE and the pick at the end of the game last season…

40. By gordo on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

is say bring clark and foote let go of mcmuffin and get lito and package up some late picks for another 2nd rd pick..

41. By gordo on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

WERE GOING TO BE FINE!

42. By Barry on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I agree Jeff this is very disappointing cause I’m not seeing us going after anyone either?? Are we?? I can see everyone is leaving like rats escaping a sinking ship..very depresssing…I was really hoping we coulda got Rolle back.

43. By nyc card fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Stop making excuses for management. Dockett’s gone unless they franchise two straight times. Its no accident that fitgerald and rolle have the same kind rookie contract

44. By SeeingRed on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

BTW if I flew the AZCardinals flag, it would be at half mast right now..(smile)

45. By Seriously?!! on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

whats the point of even puttin in those roster bonuses in a contract if the team never has any intention of paying them?! Why would rolle want to resign with a team who let him go? They say this is a different cards organization but if fels like same ol sorry red birds. Letting good players go. Othe future free agants will take note and not want to come/ resign here. I gotta go, on my way to buy my new Boldin jersey

46. By DHALL on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Well I guess it’s time for the organization to start making some good moves on defense! I love our offensive look and feel that the amount of money we have opened up plus some extra draft picks should be perfect for our upcoming additions to the RED BRICK D!!

DHALL

47. By SmoothCardGa on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

HOLY SMOKES BATMAN WE’RE IN A JAM!!!

Really wat is up with teams giving exCards players these huge contracts… The Cards keep breaking NFL records on and off the field huh… The highest piad LB in the leagues and the Highest Paid Safety in NFL history? I’m guessing Eric Berry’s gonna wanna come in as a corner, bust his first 3 years at the position and then breakout as a safety and become paid well over his price range as a Safety… Heaven forbid what Rolle would’ve gotten had he been like an Ed Reed all in coverage in addition to his return skills. Maybe he’ll contiue to progress though… I wish him the best of luck as a person and wish his career well… But I hope his team flattens…

48. By The Rose on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

This is not unexpected, Warner retired because of the concussions, Berry retired because of age, and Boldin wasn’t gonna resign so we needed to get something for him. As for the other two, I was a fan of them both but they didn’t make our defense unstoppable, they were good not great. Remember the fact that we are in the NFC West and if we can find servicable replacements for these guys, it really comes down Matt Leinert to lead us back to the playoffs.

49. By keith on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

could kirk morrison a possibility to replace dansby?

50. By Cards Fan in Missouri on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren – Do you think this “Black Friday” will have any impact on speeding up a deal for Dockett?

I realize there are more pressing issues, at LB and S, but getting Dockett done would at least provide a little stability and perhaps stem the perception that everyone wants out of Arizona. That couldn’t hurt when we try to attract FAs of our own to replace the defectors. Plus, with the salary that has gone out the door, the money definitely is there.

51. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Jeff –

Hang on there. You are usually a voice of reason. Let’s break this down:

Warner: He was never going to go anywhere else. He wanted to retire, period. That’s not a reflection on the team, but his priorities as a soon-to-be-39 year old.

Berry: I like Bertrand, and he had six sacks this year. You know how many tackles he had? Five. That’s it. Five. He was at the end, and he knew it.

Dansby: That’s the stunner. I would have thought the Cards would have come close to those numbers. But I’ve always gotten the sense Dansby wanted to go elsewhere. No matter the contract, the Cards’ D was always going to be A-Dub and Dockett and everyone else.

Boldin: No he didn’t want to be here. We all know why. And after the way he torched the team publicly, it’s tough for a team to want to offer a guy millions. And the Cards clearly are waiting until the final year of contracts to re-do them these days.

Rolle: That’s a good question. Like I said, I am hearing the Cards offered similar money. But Rolle’s family goes to every game and the flight from Miami to NY is shorter than to Phoenix, I suppose.

52. By John on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey someone is using my name ! I guess John is common.

Foote will keep the spot warm till a draft choice fills it. Ryan Clark is nice but if we were willing to spend alot for Rolle, I’ll ask again, What about Atogwe ?
    The Rams just get to match it, no draft choices. Atogwe is very good. Can we get some buzz on him?
    Any talk about Joey Porter ? NFL.com has the Cards as one of the teams for Jamal Williams.
    I was ready to lose Dansby, Rolle and Boldin today.
    We just need to make a move or two to take the sting off

53. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Billy –

At least you acknowledge it is early. Check back with me after the draft and I’ll have a better idea where this team is headed.

54. By 40yearfan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Jeff, Warner and Berry retired. Boldin wanted a big payday that he knew he couldn’t get here and Dansby is back in his home territory. The only real head scratcher is Rolle. Maybe he feels with the Giant front 7, his job will be much easier than it was here.

If I’m not mistaken, we will get some 3 rd draft picks for Rolle and Dansby if we don’t get FA’s to replace them.

Have faith. We are only one day into free agency. Let’s see what develops.

55. By Cory on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    What a day. Like everyone else, I am just in shock. I knew these things would happen, but all at once? Tough. However, I think the best thing you have written recently is that we all should at least wait until after the draft is done before we start jumping off the ledges. Let’s see what our team ends up looking like. Recently, we have had some very good luck with our draft picks. Like everyone, I’m holding my breath. But I don’t think Cards fans have reason to stop breathing just yet.

56. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Paul –

I like that someone understands my spot. :)

I can’t say I’m not going to have a beverage myself tonight.

57. By Nick on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

It just blows my mind how a player like Rolle can just leave knowing the Cardinals basically matched the offer. Do you think Rolle remebers who the team is that took a chance on him playing safety. We could have kept him at cornerback where he was just another average joe blow. Has he ever herd of loyalty. He would have never received an offer like that if it wasnt for this organization. Now after reading all the comments about how we are cheap and we should have just paid the man pisses me off. They offered him the same deal he didnt want to play here so we shouldnt want him on our team. No true fan would sit up here and bash their organization. You stick by them ! Has Coach Whizz ever let us down before? i dont think so !

Nick

58. By Bryan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

This was really a bad bad day for cardinals fans.Especially when you read all of Dockett’s tweets.He even said the bird gang was over and was not happy to the slightlest.Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?Who knows…all I do know is we gave Graves a new contract and he did nothing but lose playmakers today….speechless.

59. By Dave (The Depressed Season Ticket Holder) on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Daren & Friends

I am so bummed we lost a lot of pro-bowl caliber talent, exceptional multi-purpose players, and our team leaders. And we have replaced them mid level draft picks ?????? Say it ain’t so WHIZ!

I feel like this is the defacto plan of yester-year when after the cards made the playoffs (with Lomas Brown, Corey Chavous ,& Larry Centers), they dismantled a good team all once, and look what happened after …Depression set in. Can someone come forward from the organization and at least act they have a plan not to be crap again, and say something – Rod Graves maybe… Daren plz tell me something, anything – positive. PLEASE!!!

60. By Cards Fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Whata day…. is the stadium going to leave next?

This has to be the worst day roster wise in Cards history. I guess thats what happens when you have a good team. At least NFL teams want Cardinals now, instead of the Rattlers. I can’t believe the Cards just lost Boldin, Dansby and Rolle in one day…. Unbelievable.

61. By The sky is falling on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Party like its 1999!!!!

62. By alex u on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I think we should target Ryan Clark and Kampman, maybe even Porter or Wilson. Also i’d love Graves to go after Adewele Ogunleye since we lost Berry, Okeafer and potentially Robinson.

63. By Yanfe on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

-Jeff and other people putting down our front office.
    Woah let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. It’s true we’ve lost 5 cards this off-season, but you make it sound like B-train was a starter/ huge part of our defense or Kurt Warner wasn’t gonna make a decision that was best for his family which wouldn’t be influenced by more money or Whiz begging him to come back. Boldin is a player I hugely admire and when I talk about passion and physicality in anything even outside football I mention him, but he’s gonna be 30 yrs old this year and he hasn’t played 16 games for a while now, and I know from being an association football (soccer) fan that once a guy has a perennial hamstring problem (a dodgy hammy), you either trade him or brace yourself for frequent lengthy spells on the sidelines. As for Rolle, 1 good season and he wants the big money and the bright lights of New York, trust me not many nfl teams can compete with new york teams in terms of lifestyle on offer for players. I’m even shocked we’d match their offer. He’s not worth it and He’s not worth the discontent with A-Dub plus future problems with making Docket our highest paid defender. Dansby, league’s highest paid linebacker bar T-Suggs and D-Ware! really?? I wouldn’t pay that for anyone who isn’t Patrick Willis. And say we pay him that because the market says so, what do we pay dockett when he wants to be highest paid defender? Also if we match dolphins does he come here or go nearer to home? good players leave great teams all the time. Also if Cards are so cheap, how many teams are paying top-5 money to more than one defender?… ‘cos I’m pretty sure DDockett is gunning for top-5 money. Wait and see what we have in training camp before you panic.

64. By alex u on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Kevin Walter would be a nice NO.3/Slot Reciever

65. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Keith –

I don’t see Morrison as a target, not at a cost of a draft pick.

66. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Missouri –

Possible, but again, the team has clearly been moving toward only re-doing pacts with a year left.

67. By k. on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

@ darren

i’ve been drinking a few beverages since 6 eastern. i understand.

i do believe the cards gave it their best it just wasn’t to be and i also think the cards will find a way to win the nfc west 2010. i was just speaking with my fiancee and told her of all the moves and yes she does care as she’s an avid football fan. she likes the browns which is understandable she’s from akron, oh. anyway, i was saying i do believe without a doubt the cards will find guys to step in this season whether it be through the FA market or draft. i think the cards will draft ilb, s, olb, and nt as top picks in april – to develop with possibility of starting. cards 3 peat nfc west champs!

68. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

John –

The only issue with Atogwe is, do you do the work to come up with a contract only to have the Rams match? Who knows. Maybe Clark is a better fit. Also can see looking at Jamal Williams, but given his injury history, it has to be at the right price.

69. By Botner on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Everyone wants to extend Dockett…ummm…who says he “wants” to be here either? In fact, he’s been more vocal than Dansby/Boldin/Rolle when it comes to criticizing management. Seems to me he’ll bolt like the others when he gets the chance.

70. By k. on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

oh, if you would tell those that control the website – please tell them to update the sites roster and images as they’ll continually make me sick at the site of the names and faces of those we’ve lost. i respect them but their no longer cardinals so………..done with them.

71. By az1965 on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

If Cards were offering the same amount and Rolle picked Giants, this may Rolle got ticked off on Cards cutting him to save 4 million roster bonus??? Just a guess otherwise it does not make sense for someone who has been saying he wants to remain a Cards. Rolle was not a great FS but he was a playmaker when he got the ball in his hands. And it hurts because we absolutely don’t have anyone right now to replace him.

72. By Bryan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Do you think that when the Cardinals told Boldin they would give him a new contract and not doing anything for him has anything to do with rolle or dansby not wanting to be here?Or just the whole boldin situation?Dang this stinks…..

73. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Bryan –

Dock also tweeted the Cards weren’t going to go away. I understand frustration, and I understand why Graves is the personification. But the Boldin trade has been inevitable since that day in training camp, 2008. The Cards tried to keep both defensive guys today, going as far as offering Rolle a similar pact. Graves can’t be blamed if the players turn that down.

74. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Depressed Dave –

Anquan is happy today.

75. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Alex U –

The Cards already have their top three WRs — Fitz, Breaston, Doucet.

76. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

K –

I control that. And the news is the news.

77. By Botner on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Dansby and Boldin I understand…but if indeed the Cards matched the Giants with Rolle and he still picked the Big Apple….well, that’s just annoying.

78. By mark on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

This is what i think it comes down too. Both Dansby and and Rolle wanted a change of venue. They both got offered the same money and decided go to teams that were not better than the cards. So why leave, it comes down they didnt want to live in Arizona any more and New York and Miami sounded more attractive to them. I love Arizona but some high profile players want all the busy city life which honestly most of us that live in arizona dont really care for. As far as Dansby goes, he is a good player but not really a difference maker that Dockett, Wilson and Campbell are. And as for Rolle, he can make plays every once in a while but gets burned alot and he just cant cover. If we can grab a guy like Larry Foote and maybe Ryan Clark or draft some good guys like Taylor Mays or Sean Weatherspoon we will be fine.

79. By Cards Fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Who was in charge of structuring the Fitzgerald and Rolle contracts? How come it seems like the Cards are the only team in the last two years, who has put themselves in a very awkward situation? I know teams have to release players because of cap space or big contracts, but these situations seem like they could have been avoided if the structuring was done better up front, why would they work it like that? What are the positives to doing contracts like that?

80. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Bryan –

I don’t think the Q thing had anything to do with it. I think frankly both wanted to go somewhere else. I think Rolle, knowing him the little I do, loves the idea of playing in New York. And with both, the money doesn’t hurt.

81. By Botner on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren – lots of people are calling for the Cards to go after that LB Morrison from Oakland. They’d have to give up one of their 3rd round picks to do that.

Any chance of that happening or is it just a pipe dream?

82. By Big Red on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Turn out the lights…….. the season is over. They say that good things must come to an end. Thanks to the 3 amigos that just left us with good memories.

83. By holla on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

lets rembember something in all this mess that rolle or dansby are not allpros, very good players but not great. So paying them that much would be crazy. Boldin will always be a cardinal and help turn this ship around but hasnt played a full season since when? and now he is the death age for rbs which he plays more like than a wr. In WHIZ I trust!!!!!!!!!

84. By Michael on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

The cards have good depth at wr, so losing Q won’t hurt too bad from a depth perspective (I will always appreciate his on-field professionalism)… Maybe the $$$ will motivate Dansby and Rolle, but I can’t see that much money making them that much better. P.S.- they weren’t ALL-PRO players. Maybe they will be (I still think they COULD be), but for almost 40 each, I wouldn’t gamble to find out. There are a lot of hungry, not-so-greedy, team-first, intelligent, and talented players out there, and those are the ones we need in AZ. To Wiz and Graves: I support your decisions, and have faith in them. ***To all the remaining, extremely-gifted Cardinals players still on our squad: You can go for the money, or you can stick with something special, which will probably get you into the playoffs most years and a shot at the highest prize in your profession. Persevere through the tough times, and you won’t regret it (although, I still think we can win the West, and more, this season). Money can buy a lot of things, but it can’t buy happiness or a championship. And this team (even without are 3 former brethren) is a joy to watch; while at the same time, being one of the most talented ones in the NFL. Good luck rolle, dansby and boldin; but it is really your loss. We have a special team, a special fan base, and a lot of amazing leaders/ people on this team, in the organization, and cheering for you all… Go Cards!

85. By Dave (The Depressed Season Ticket Holder) on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Thank you Darren..

I needed that, only that is my point too….At least I can sit wherever I want again at the end of the second half. See I can be positive…

86. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Cards Fan –

I can’t argue those were issues, but part of it is the problem of getting deals done with top 10 picks (Fitz was No. 3, Rolle No. 8) you end up putting in such things. I doubt they will ever have such issues going forward. There aren’t positives, really, unless the player washes out. Again, in the future, I don’t see it happening again. The problem is Leinart is in the same boat after 2010, and Fitzgerald after this season too.

87. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Botner –

I just don’t see it happening.

88. By Botner on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Follow up: Is Mr. Larry Foote any good? I mean, c’mon, he got cut by the Lions! The Lions!

89. By Dave (The Depressed Season Ticket Holder) on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Quarter I meant…Geesh I sound like I should be the GM !

90. By Jason Terry on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Time for Taylor Mays, or at least Clark or anyone decent to fill in as safety.

91. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

This early in the offseason we have lost Warner, Berry, Rolle, Boldin, and Dansby, to let 3 of those guy walk is absolutly discusting to any Cardinal fan, not one positive thing has happend, other than the signing of a random CFL player, Arizona better start paying up and picking up! because we just lost half our defense in the last 2 months, we all know Rashad Johnson and Matt ware arent going to replace Rolles talent, and whos gunna fill for Dansby? I cant believe all in one day we lost all our good FA’s, time to go back to sundevil stadium with the drunk asu students in Tempe

92. By Cards Fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Great, I can’t wait for Leinart to get good and then he becomes a free agent, and Fitzgerald again!!!! Can’t wait to go through this all again…

I have a couple comments regarding Rolle and Dansby leaving:
    If I remember right, there were a lot of negative comments towards the Cards defense last year, so I started thinking…. Did the defense have talent, but it was a coaching issue? Or did the defense have too much talent and too many guys who wanted to make plays instead of being disciplined and doing their assignments? Or were all the other defenses that bad in the NFL where they needed to make guys off the Cards the highest paid players at their positions? It seems weird to me that teams would be after players on a defense that wasn’t great last year….

93. By Billy Thomas on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

You know I forgot to think about Atogwe as a potential safety. If I were the Cards management I would at least discuss a contract with O.J. With losing Rolle, having Atogwe could make up for it and it would be a good move towards stability and making the fans feel that a plan is in motion. Also, there are rumors about Bulger being released.

Darren-
    Again, thanks for the time spent keeping us up to date. It’s really nice to have all of this info. available. Also, they mentioned Marc Bulger POSSIBLY being released from the Rams. If so, would the Cards think about him as a back-up? I only ask because of what he did with “The Greatest Show on Turf”. If Leinart struggles, Bulger might have a resurgence kind of like Warner.

94. By pacardfan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Sad day to be a Cards. fan, but the Cards. will be fine. A true fan, like myself, is there no matter their record 0-16 or 16-0, the Cards. have and will always be my team. Whiz. and the org.. have made big steps the past years and this past year, we got a running game going. When did we est. one that good before? I have no doudts that the Cards. Def. will be ok even after the lost of Danbsy and Rolle, whom I both like. (I can’t believe Rolle choosed NYG over the Cards., but I’m sure it was more than money, exp. if the Cards. came close to or did match the offer like Darren mentioned).I understand they are looking at Foote. (of course…ex Steeler, but he is a good LB and would fit well. I still would like to see Witherspoon on their roster as well) As for Clark, (Shaper would be well worth the pay than Clark. Clark is ok but not as good as SHaper….b/s try Wilson. Clark may be ok bbut again, it’s a basis in a way cuz of the ex-Steeler).

95. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Billy –

I would think they might look at Bulger if he is released. But if the Rams hold him for a month or two, they might have to make a move by then.

96. By J on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Karma. Karma. Karma.

97. By spitfire772 on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I understand somewhat why these guys wanted to leave and this indeed is a “Black Friday” for the Cards. I’m not jumping off the wagon because I’m loyal to my team and we haven’t even gotten to the draft yet… But there are a few questions I have to ask? Why is it these guys all believe they need to be the highest paid players in NFL history (at their position)? Dansby and Rolle have exactly 1 Pro-Bowl season (Rolle as an alternate), yet are getting paid like All-Universe players. Teams overpay for these types of players. I loved both of them, but they’re not worth that much! Q was inevitably going to leave, but my second question is… Why aren’t the Cards spending any money? They got money from Warner retiring, Boldin leaving, Dansby leaving, Rolle leaving… Doesn’t it seem like we should be able to spend money on a big-time FA or keep our key guys? I know we offered Rolle the same deal as NY, but still. I’m just bitter right now and I honestly hope the Dolphins and Giants suck next year. Ravens, not so much, because I loved Boldin and he was traded.

98. By Chocks21 on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Hell if I were Darnell Dockett I would want to be traded to why not the cardinals won’t pay him especially if the didn’t pay Q. Its a shame what we did to Q, we used him during his prime years and refuse to pay the man who is really the heart and soul of our locker room. This guy deserves better he gets his face crushed and puts it on the line every week for the team. He shouldn’t be asked for money it should be given to him. Basically in my opinion we had the most talented team or close to most talented team last year. Well guess what we are screwed and will lose lots of games, fans, and national attention. Great Job Cardinals!
    Congrats to those who left!

99. By James Barnes on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Today was tough, I’m very disappointed. The Dansby deal, I kinda understand, the Boldin deal I disagree with it completely, the Rolle deal was a situation of their own making. They did cut him, he was not a free agent until they cut him. I don’t see how any of todays events make the Cardinals a better team. If Graves tried to match the deal, after the Giants offered it, then Graves deserves to be fired…If Rolle was worth that much he never should have cut him.

100. By Ian Mofo on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Hope yer dollaz keep you warm at night hoe. Dont sprain your ACL getting off the plain…

101. By Nick B on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

ok, first of all, everybody expected Dansby and Rolle to leave. Is the Boldin trade really that big of a surprise? I think the trade was actually a really good idea, we are stacked at WR, and we added a 3rd pick, and an extra 4th (did give up the 5th). So now what? Well a couple years ago they drafted Campbell to replace Smith when he left…remember that? Last year, they drafted Cody Brown, and Rashad Johnson. Maybe Graves drafted them, cause he knew at the time is was possible to lose Dansby and Rolle? hmmm…actually makes sense…maybe the GM and Coach actually know what they are doing??…My biggest concern coming into Free Agency…and I can’t believe anybody else hasn’t bought this up…MIKE GANDY…our line has played together his Whiz and Grimm have been here…I know he was out towards the end of year..but do they really want to move Levi Brown to the other side and go with either Herman Johnson or Brandon Keith??…I like the idea of them going with a young guy…but at the same time I think its very important to have a quality back up like Jeremy Bridges…and to everybody talking about a 4th WR…what about Onrea Jones…everybody LOVED him during the preseason last year…maybe they won’t run as many 4 WR sets…with Leinart back there now and trying to rush the ball more…I think if they sign Larry Foote and Ryan Clark this team will be fine…plus all the draft picks and Cody Brown…maybe the Cardinals are thinking…wow 2011…tons of great free agents.. EVERY tendered guy this year will be a URFA next year..unless they are signed long term…I think the Cardinals MUST sign Breaston, Deuce, and Dockett long term….think about it…the Cardinals are fine…if they run the ball well…add some young pieces on defense…this team can win the NFC West the next two seasons if not longer…remember they MUST resign Breaston/Deuce…if Leinart plays well…they will tag him…..think about it Cardinal fans…they will be fine…Whiz/Graves KNOW what they are DOING! Correct me if I’m wrong, but Foote is coming in, and so is David Carr…if they sign Foote/Clark/Carr, I would be THRILLED with Cody Brown coming back, and atleast 8 draft picks… -Nick

102. By Logan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Wow.
    As a fan for along time I had already braced myself for this all to happen and For those that thought otherwise…are you crazy?

Let’s put it into perspective.

Dansby: Is good buy he is not a top 10 linebacker. If we can get foote we will be fine.

Rolle: He was a playmaker but he got burned so much. Ryan Clark would be an upgrade. Please don’t make me pull out stats again.

Boldin: we are 6-1 when he doesn’t play. Enough said.

We can get Clark and sheppard for probably far less than rilles one contract.

If we don’t do any of these things I will be a bit worried but we have a lot of draft picks.

This love affair with dansby and rolle has to stop.
    Just think back when a lot of people wanted to cut rolle when he was getting worked at corner.

Come to think of it if Aaron Rodgers would have connected with that pass in the playoffs most of you would welcome why just happened.

103. By Andrew on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

One of my all-time favorite Cardinals is gone but I will say that I am very happy for Anquan today, he deserves every dollar and I hope he tears it up there!
    Dansby is a beast and will be missed…
    Rolle…I’m glad we didn’t pay him that much money, he isn’t worth it, but now…

I know there isn’t a ton out there but we have a lot of salary room to bring in some guys that will help depth and fill in needed spots before the draft… more importantly, plenty of money to pay dockett!

as you mentioned, even though we knew it was gonna happen… harsh to see it all happen in one day. What’s the buzz on who the Cards are lookin at?

104. By George Vreeland Hill on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

This was not that bad a day for the Cards.
    Boldin was out one of these years anyway.
    Losing Dansby and Rolle was bad, but the compensation will be better felt next year with extra draft picks from the NFL and the Cards will draft two or three quality players this year.
    The biggest concern is how good will #7 be.

George Vreeland Hill

105. By Matthew on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

We all saw over the past couple of years that chemistry makes greats teams. Especially defenses. If a player does not want to play for a team they are on, then this hurts the chemistry of the team. 2 mediocre players with great chemistry are way better than 2 super stars with none. Today is a great day to look forward to our future. We all knew this year is a transition year with Warner out. I look forward to all of the new drafts we will be getting in. the most important offseason decision has been done and executed : and that is extending Whizz’s contract. I am excited for an exciting new year. Young players with a drive to prove themselves is very fun to watch, and we will have a lot to watch this year. I also look forward to our running game improving and Beanie getting a lot of carries, this will be good for our offense. The most important thing we need as a team right now is more positive fans with more respect for our own team. Im sick of hearing booing for our own team. We are cardinal fans, cheer them. One last thing… I applaud Adrian Wilson today for his dedication to the Arizona Cardinals. He is a great role model for other players and all of us fans.

106. By Tyrelle on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Does the front office want to win? We better sign some free agents asap.

107. By Ronnie_Jnr on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

i know it was a tough day… and i love my Cards more than anything else. but the Boldin Move was gonna happen. with Breaston playing so well (you can’t keep him a number 3 receiver forever) and no way they Let go of Fitzgerald. Doucet showed up in playoffs and could be that good number 3 now.
    as a fun wild-cat x-factor) but too expensive. let not forget how bad our defence played in playoffs…. something had to be done….
    then with Warner retiring we need to find that good back-up for Leinart and free money for a high QB in draft…. in regards to FA….
    QB: Derek Anderson (give him some good weapons and let him work)
    Marc Bulger (a new Kurt Warner)
    S: Ryan Clark (we seem to be steelers 2nd home)

it will be fine…. 2 years ago i was gutted at release of Calvin Pace… we did fine following year

108. By Lawrence Miller on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Yesterday’s events seem a huge blow. W/O doubt, the losses are significant. This is countered, however, by relatively unprecedented staff continuity progress. In the long run, the latter seems a better indicator of the organization’s future.

We all agree it’s quite a challenge to replace Warner, Boldin, Dansby, and Rolle. Does any team have a more formidable challenge?

We all wonder how is the team going to respond. Will we see the same old, same old?

Or–as recent history suggests–will MB, Graves, and Whiz find right answers? Because the outcome is not certain, there is an anticipatory joy in following the effort. It may not match the intense thrill of an actual game, but it is still fascinating theater.

IMO, one of the pleasures of sports is the opportunity to assume a Mt. Olympus perspective. By that, I mean to observe the process as it unfolds, withholding premature judgment, detaching as possible from the agonies or ecstasies that appear from moment to moment. So I am going to sit back and see how the Cardinals respond. What great sport!

However it turns out, regardless of outcome, the effort is well-worth watching. Let the games begin.

109. By Ditship on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Wow.. Just wow. Time for some rooks to step up big. I’m afraid what these losses might do to our string of sell out seasons..

The fact that we offered Rolle the same contract (or close enough anyway) and he didn’t take it disturbs me. What I wonder now is how much we’re going to have to anti up now to get Dockett under a long term contract. I get this feeling that the only way the Cards save face is getting him under a nice fat contract to show that they’re willing to keep some of this amazing talent they’ve built up. It also seems like a trade up in the draft might be a smart move using some of these extra picks we now have. The Cardinals are going to have to make a splash somewhere. Seriously.. I’m not screaming the sky is falling but if the Cards want to sell out another season they are really going to have to do something pretty shocking during the draft or we’re going to be hearing the “Same Ol Cards” chant that this team had worked so hard to get away from and 20,000 Cards fans in the stands like the SDS days. I’ll still be there cheering but I get this feeling many others won’t.

If I was a Niner fan right now I’d be a happy man.

110. By John on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, 40yearfan said we get a third round pick for each if we dont replace Dansby or Rolle. Is that true and how would that work ?

111. By David C on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I have seen a lot of angst on these boards, kudo’s to you Darren, as you seem to be the sounding board. Amongst it all are some common themes, can’t believe we lost 3 in one day (we didn’t lose Q, he was traded for 2 picks in a deep draft from a position of strength on the team, oh, and he didn’t want to be here!), what do we do now (nothing, trust that there is a plan and before we “cancel our season tickets”, maybe wait to see that plan instead of instant, emotional reaction), how do we replace them/what will our defense look like…Honestly, the last one is a wait and see. Most of the fans agree that Rolle was overpaid by the Giants (More than Sanders or A-Dub is CRAZY!!!) but congrats to him. Dansby was a solid interior presence but also not worth as much as he got (no pass rush, but a great tackler). Foote is the same type of player (not the same, same type) and, if we get him, will be less expensive and a pretty solid replacement (very little drop off). Safety, not easy, especially if Ware also leaves but this is where we have to get creative! Their is a BETTER (Yeah, I said it) safety than Rolle available, one who tackles, along with forcing fumbles and getting INT’s…. Oshiomogho Atogwe. It won’t cost picks, negotiate and poison pill the offer. Not friendly way of doing business, but it is business!! Foote and Atogwe, 2 extra draft picks, and all of the sudden, Cardinals fans will be making post season plans again! (Instead of post fandom plans) Bandwagon state no more!!!! Be patient! Question, is it possible/are they willing to poison pill an offer?

112. By 949cardsfan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

OMG!!!! I wake up and the nightmare has gotten even worse. what kind of a sick joke is this? Darren if what ur sayimg is true, Rolle being offered the same by the Cards, than screw him! I dont want a chump like that on my team anyways, and I no Whiz doesnt either. We all need to take a deep breath and remeber what Dansby and Rolle are. They’re only 2nd or 3rd tier players at their position, and besides we were’nt very good, even with them, last year, only problem is we zero depth on Defense. all we can do is trust in Whiz that he’ll rebuild bigger and better than before. The FO knew this was a possibilty to happen, they better have had a plan B.

113. By Tbru on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

In Antrell’s defense,

If I got fired to avoid being paid a bonus and then was offered my old job back when a new employer made me an offer, I would probably leave too

I hope roster bonuses are eliminated in the new CBA

114. By Andrew on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

This is not a time to panic. Let’s not forget the love we have been giving Whiz and Graves. They are still talented administrators and will adjust. With Warner and Berry it was just time to exit. With Q it was time to move on. With Dansby there was nothing to be done and with Rolle–who the hell knows? It is just time to re-structure. There are still several very good (young) football players with a lot to prove on this team and the front office will get it done. They have cash.

115. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle –

Actually no. It’s funny, I was just told that the other day, that they’d rather lose.

116. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

John –

It wouldn’t come until 2011 draft. It’ll depend on the FAs the Cards sign and the playing time/production each of the free agents compile (and unfortunately, because Rolle was cut and not technically a “free agent” he will not count in the equation).

117. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

David C –

I think teams are leery about poison pill contracts. Agents love them because it is a loophole for RFAs and technically, they are legal. But there is an unethical quality to them.

118. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Andrew –

The Cards will bring in LB Larry Foote. I am guessing they will now look hard at the available safeties. They will still look at other LBs, and I think they will discuss nose tackles. There are still many options and the Cards had to know if Dansby and/or Rolle were leaving for sure before moving forward.

119. By Jim on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Recommendation: take a deep breath. Boldin was always going and we still have 3 good young WRs…now we have an extra pick in the draft too. Losing Dansby and Rolle was tough for one day, but the Cards should have a lot of money freed up to fill the holes via FA. And Dockett can now get paid. The young guys need to step up like Campbell did last year. Sounds like business as usual…draft, FA, young guys step up. When Warner un-retires we’ll be in good shape. ;^)

120. By CARDSFANSINCE89sBABY on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

OK OK LET IT GO DA WHIZ MADE ROLL LOOK BETTER THEN HE REALLY IS. BOLDIN HE WAS JUST DONE HERE IN AZ SAD TO SAY!..AND DANSBY HE TURND DOWN AN EXTENSION LAST YEAR SO THAT TELLS U HE WANTED OUT FOR SURE!!..
    NOW LETS PRAY DA WHIZ CAN MAKE LINERT A DREW BREES HAHA (LETS PRAY)!! NO BT REALLY I THINK HE WILL DO FINE!.. DRAFTS ALWAYZ TURN OUT GOOD SO WILL BE IN THE PLAYOFFS AGAIN. WE ARE JUST NOT USE TO BEING A GOOD TEAM BUT THIS HAPPENS TO THE BEST OF THEM NOW DA WHIZ KEEPS US IN THE HUNT!.
    DARREN THANKS FOR THE UPDATES AND YOUR SARCASM LOL.
    CARDINALS SHOCK EVERYBODY AND SIGN MARSHALL!!!

121. By NM Cards Fan (seasonticketholder) on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Thank God !!!! We are rid of the Defensive holes ,

now if “I can’t cover anyone Mcfadden” would get traded or cut Whiz can continue to improve the Defence
    Letting “I can’t tackle , please don’t burn me Rolle” and ” Wow !!! I got lucky again Dansby ” go was the best thing for the Red Birds ,now there is money and there will be an improvement to the defence at the end of the day from what ? #23 with the holes

Boldin would have been nice to keep but then again look at LT teams don’t keep part time players even if you were part of the team turn around or the face of your team Good Luck Q!!!

the offence will be fine , lookfor Matt to throw much deeper than Kurt did , he’ll be fine and the offence will be fun to watch , I watch them warm up 3 hours before every game , when Kurt would have to take 2-3 steps to reach the endzone from the 50 , Matt did it with ease, he just needs playing time
    Go Cards !!!!!!

Darren , great job , do you know when the schedule will come out I need to start buying my plane tickets asap

Go Cards !!!!!!

122. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

NM Cards –

The schedule will be released around the second week of April, as always.

123. By Amy on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

It is a shame Rolle choose the NYG after the Cards were the ones that put all the effort into conveting him into a safety. I am upset that Dansby is gone, but I also had the sense he was wanting to go elsewhere. I think we all knew Boldin was going to go.

How about Darren Sharper at safety? Are they looking at him?
    As for another QB–Delhomme or if Derek Anderson becomes available-would probably be the best choices.
    Thanks for keeping us posted.

124. By David C on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

True. But there is also an unethical quality to low tendering a franchise player just because you know other teams will shy away from negotiating and you can save $. Turnabout is fair play.

125. By Guillermo Rabling on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Do you think Joey Porter can be a cardinal?

126. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Guillermo –

Perhaps.

127. By James Barnes on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Ok, Black Friday is now over and I can look back with a cool head. First people that where saying the sky is falling and team is on it way back to Sun Devil Stadium are over reacting (by the way I was in this group yesterday. Now those of you that say; no big deal Boldin, Rolle and Dansby sucked and the team is better without them are wrong also.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. The Cardinals didn’t expect to lose all three that day. They knew they would take a little hit on the Boldin deal, so they did it on a busy day around the league to keep it off ESPN. They thought Dansby would visit 3 or 4 teams then sign. They also thought Rolle would have to visit several teams to get his money, and they might be able to resign him. The non-salary cap era of the NFL hit the Cardinals like a all out blitz and they were not prepared. They played the opening day of free agency like the salary cap was still in effect, and they got sacked.

Here are some conclusion I’ve reached: The Cardinal defense is going to be hurting next year. They lost two big play starters, and there is no one available to replace those two guy without a drop in quality. Those who say we can draft someone, you’re wrong. Even if you draft an outstanding players at those positions, it will take 2 to 4 years for them to be as good as the players we lost.

I believe in Whiz, I think he is a great coach. Graves stinks. I have not forgiven him for drafting Bryant and Pace instead of Terrell Suggs. He then allowed both of those players to leave via free agency and got nothing in return for either one. Terrell Suggs is still with the Ravens killing QB and running backs. Pace has developed into a really good player,,,,,for another team.

I don’t think we are back to 4-12 or 5-11, but I do think we are 7-9 or 8-8. Thing is 8-8 might get us in the playoff in the NFC West.

128. By michael mcnamara on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

i know that alot of season ticket holders are upset, but for now, i say we need to be patient. yes we could have paid rolle the 4 million bonus and he would have been a FA next year. boldin was a a smart move. he would have been a FA next year (barring a franchise tag). so we got a draft pick and upgraded a 5th pick to a 4th. i do not think that the cardinals will spend heavily in this offseason. this is an uncapped year and the cardinals having to shell back alot of money to the season ticketholders for last year’s playoff prepay is a contibuting factor to not signing big name players. we have to see what lienart can do. he has one year to prove himself. i think that dansby was set on leaving. he spent several years here and endured two franchise tags. this is now the time to see what magic the cardinals front office can do (although i dont see any big splashes till the following year (or more if there is a lockout)

129. By Hotrod on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

First of all, every one keeps saying that the cards matched the giants offer? Are you sure about that? Cards are now the 2nd lowest team in nfl payroll. You all might want to go google and do some home work, before you start talking about players. I am an ex player, and alot of things go on with the NFL negotiations that you dont know about. Sometimes money is offered, but you don’t know when it will be paid. Year 1,2,3,4,5, so its hard to say a team matched the offer.
    It was already proven thatthe cards, could have signed Rolle earlier, but they did not. Cards had cjhance on Dansby, and did not. Then issue with Q, really was terrible when a guy gives you his all weekend and week out, the team shows no loyalty. Yes Q might have gotten alittle out spoken in the end. But when you get a hit like he did, and you are back at work in three week, that should have spoke for something. Now Rolle just was back there to cover the entire field while Wilson just blists, then you bring Rolle up and back to disguise the defense. But all thats for to let Wilson Blitz. Rolle has done everything Cards asked of him, he played hurt, and he was a multi talented player. Yes he missed some tackles, but when you are playing safety, corner, slot what can you expect. Rolle never got a chance to just be a safety, he covering when Wilson blitzes, he covers when Mcfadden out of position, then he helps DRC when he can.Thats alot for a second year safety. Give the youngman a break, because it come down to loving the game and being able to take care of your family. The NFL team never loses, that what you all don’t get. You the fan miss all the business deals that players get screwed every year, but once you sign it you are stuck. get off the players!!!

130. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Hotrod –

Rolle’s agent was one of the ones saying the Cards had a similar offer.

131. By Red Cards on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Sad to see Rolle go .Thought he would stay givin an equal choice….